Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

I do have to pretty much agree with my fellow United fans here (shock horror) in that Liverpool have pretty much bought squad players thus far, while losing their best player. They will have a stronger 'squad' to deal with the increased number of games, but I think due to the whole Suarez being a cnut issue, people are underestimating how much worse that team is without Suarez in it. When you're buying squad players, it just doesn't match up. Liverpool will probably have to sign another guaranteed 25-30 goal offensive player to stay at the same level as last season (which of course technically won nothing anyway, although I'd argue for Liverpool in that earning Champions League football with that squad was a huge victory in itself).

By the looks of it, Liverpool's starting line-up next season (so far) is the same as last season with Lallana over Suarez. Now, I am not going to abruptly rule out Liverpool's chance of finishing in the top four again, but surely as a Liverpool fan you can't think that you're going give the same level of performances and score enough goals to do what you did last time? Suarez got your average defence out of jail, that can't be too wrong of a statement can it? Who does that this season?

It's not really that shrewd. You've signed a 32-year-old Southampton striker and a QPR striker who had a known buy-out clause.

Anyone could've made those signings. I sincerely doubt Remy has signed to be 3rd/4th choice either, unless he's completely devoid of ambition.

It's all a bit of a hark back to the Rafa days where he would keep signing shit players and then end up replacing them 1 or 2 years later in a never-ending circulation of shit. Couple that with losing and so far failing to replace your star player, and it doesn't look very clever.

Waffle on all you want, but we now have 3 proven (Premier League) goalscorers and I'm sure we'll add another. All this whilst making a sizeable profit on Borini & Assaidi whose sales will pay for these transfers and well... I'm still struggling to see the negatives.

Also, what are the odds you are one of the many who hark on about Liverpool not having the appropriate squad depth for the upcoming season?

Last edited:
Waffle on all you want, but we now have 3 proven (Premier League) goalscorers and I'm sure we'll add another. All this whilst making a sizeable profit on Borini & Assaidi whose sales will pay for these transfers and well... I'm still struggling to see the negatives.

C'mon now, man. The negatives would be that apart from Sturridge none of those three proven goal scorers are of the quality you'd normally associate with a title challenger. And even Sturridge's quality will be questioned by some - not least when he's now your main attacking threat after the loss of Suarez.

None of the buys you've made seem terrible to me - I said, for instance, that Lambert was a decent purchase as a squad man in what will be a more demanding season with more matches on the calendar - but they're not great reinforcements, clearly not.

The youngsters you've bought look very good - but they're youngsters.

If we're talking about Liverpool as a title challenger, your business so far has been underwhelming. It might prove very sound business down the line, though - by all means. If Rodgers can keep qualifying for the CL he'll challenge for the league sooner rather than later too. But right now, all factors considered, you can't blame people for regarding your squad below the standard of at least Chelsea and City - and arguably a couple of other sides too.

Lambert is a meh signing, Remy is a good one. All of their attacking signings combined will not reach Suarez's output
That's fine if the defence improves. Without Suarez's goals Liverpool would still have scored 70 and that's assuming another striker would've gone the whole season goaless. Rodgers will likely adjust the emphasis now Suarez has gone but that means points will have to be accumulated through a tighter defence and being less open. Systemically Liverpool will have to adjust.

That's fine if the defence improves. Without Suarez's goals Liverpool would still have scored 70 and that's assuming another striker would've gone the whole season goaless. Rodgers will likely adjust the emphasis now Suarez has gone but that means points will have to be accumulated through a tighter defence and being less open. Systemically Liverpool will have to adjust.
You forgot his 15 assists.

No offense but to judge it as "they would still have scored 70" is a little silly, Suarez's input was fundamental to the way the team functioned. You can't just subtract his goal tally and say this is what the rest of the team achieved without him.

Methinks Rodgers is building a squad to try and sustain the top 4, rather than build a team to win the league.

C'mon now, man. The negatives would be that apart from Sturridge none of those three proven goal scorers are of the quality you'd normally associate with a title challenger. And even Sturridge's quality will be questioned by some - not least when he's now your main attacking threat after the loss of Suarez.

None of the buys you've made seem terrible to me - I said, for instance, that Lambert was a decent purchase as a squad man in what will be a more demanding season with more matches on the calendar - but they're not great reinforcements, clearly not.

The youngsters you've bought look very good - but they're youngsters.

If we're talking about Liverpool as a title challenger, your business so far has been underwhelming. It might prove very sound business down the line, though - by all means. If Rodgers can keep qualifying for the CL he'll challenge for the league sooner rather than later too. But right now, all factors considered, you can't blame people for regarding your squad below the standard of at least Chelsea and City - and arguably a couple of other sides too.

I'm talking about the Remy/Lambert/Borini/Assaidi business in isolation. We're essentially swapping two average squad players for two proven attackers, and at a profit. So I'm happy. From there, if we can grab another quality attacker alongside Remy (which it seems we're looking to do) then our attacking options are looking in very good shape. Similar to United over the years, we'd have multiple proven goal scoring options - a far cry from having the likes of Aspas, Voronin, N'gog and Babel as our go to options, as we have done over the years.

I'd reserve judgement on our transfer business until we're done. From here on in, if we can add Lovren, Moreno, Remy and another (perhaps more glamorous) forward, then I think we'll have done quite well to shore up after the loss of Suarez, both in terms of depth and quality.

Methinks Rodgers is building a squad to try and sustain the top 4, rather than build a team to win the league.
I think so too, he wants the squad to stay in top 4, get to quaters of the champions league and maybe attract better players. Liverpool atleast wage wise are nowhere near the top clubs in europe. I dont think they have brocken the 200 k/week barrier and that is what you need to do to get the best players. I think getting top4 and a decent Cl run will give liverpool enough money and they will be able to sign better players.

Right now i would only say they have one player who could be rated as potentially top 4 quality and he is markovic. Rest i dont think will even make liverpool's first preferred line up. Defense looks shaky, midfield of gerrard, henderson and coutinho is decent. Attack of sterling ,sturridge and markovic? is good too but does it scare anyone? Not without suarez i think. This team has pace and power but isnt solid in defense and midfield is a big question mark.

He didn't treat us badly at all. He was a big part in helping us get back into the CL. Most Liverpool fans see him leave and wish him all the best.

Rodgers would know more about why Sanchez turned us down than you.

Really? Come on. Just because he was your best player and helped you get to the CL? He clearly treated you badly. I shouldnt really need to explain what he did to you lot, come out of that little bubble you live in and take a look at everything the clown has done in his time with you lot.

It amazes me how Owen and Torres got shed loads of abuse for leaving to win things, after i might add also helping you get CL but Suarez after everything he has done is seen as some sort of savior and can leave with your blessing. And you wonder why people think you are all nuts.

That's exactly what he should be doing in fairness, the taste of success has seen silly season re-emerge in the fans mentality.
If the demand from the stands reaches the management it could come crumbling down (again).
Calm your f*cking tits scousers, walk - run in that order.

Really? Come on. Just because he was your best player and helped you get to the CL? He clearly treated you badly. I shouldnt really need to explain what he did to you lot, come out of that little bubble you live in and take a look at everything the clown has done in his time with you lot.

It amazes me how Owen and Torres got shed loads of abuse for leaving to win things, after i might add also helping you get CL but Suarez after everything he has done is seen as some sort of savior and can leave with your blessing. And you wonder why people think you are all nuts.
He racially abuses a player and they embarrass themselves by standing by him. How does he show his gratitude? By trying to force a move to Arsenal.

He bites a player and they stand by him. He shows his gratitude by forcing a move to Barca. :lol:

It's battered wife syndrome.

That's exactly what he should be doing in fairness, the taste of success has seen silly season re-emerge in the fans mentality.
If the demand from the stands reaches the management it could come crumbling down (again).
Calm your f*cking tits scousers, walk - run in that order.

That same mentality is happening around here too. A lot of you think that LVG is going to magic the title your way and won't hear anything different. Fans get carried away...that's normal.

Unsurprisingly, Suarez feels no special affiliation with Liverpool - that was clear last summer. I've come to learn there is little sentiment in football - I consider players little more than assets these days.

Unsurprisingly, Suarez feels no special affiliation with Liverpool - that was clear last summer. I've come to learn there is little sentiment in football - I consider players little more than assets these days.
I think that is a testament to his lack of character. Basically, he's a shitebag. As a club, Liverpool went above and beyond to please him. In return he pissed in their face.

That same mentality is happening around here too. A lot of you think that LVG is going to magic the title your way and won't hear anything different. Fans get carried away...that's normal.

United already has a good squad of players though, one that actually needs thinning out. There's a share of top end players too in RVP, Mata, Rooney, De Gea to name a few. United also has a fixture list that even Arsenals physio team might cope with ;) and a "proven" top class manager.

I won't be getting carried away until a ball is kicked but after last season then to say I am looking forward to PL kick off is an understatement.

I know what your saying though, football fans are borderline nutcases with a penchant for getting carried away.

United already has a good squad of players though, one that actually needs thinning out. There's a share of top end players too in RVP, Mata, Rooney, De Gea to name a few. United also has a fixture list that even Arsenals physio team might cope with ;) and a "proven" top class manager.

I won't be getting carried away until a ball is kicked but after last season then to say I am looking forward to PL kick off is an understatement.

I know what your saying though, football fans are borderline nutcases with a penchant for getting carried away.

Yes I think you'll do better than last but I'm not sure it'll be the exciting, flowing stuff that you normally demand. It's all about results this season though so he'll get a pass on being a bit defensive.

Glad to hear you weren't one of the loonies backing his corner when he was being generally bitey and racist. I had all you lot in the same box.

Yes I think you'll do better than last but I'm not sure it'll be the exciting, flowing stuff that you normally demand. It's all about results this season though so he'll get a pass on being a bit defensive.
To be fair the exciting free flowing stuff has been as rare as rocking horse shite these last few years.

What's trolling about that? Rooney stayed with you lot because you buckled and paid him massive wages. You need to attack the post and not the poster.
And you need to stop persisting with stupid comparisons.

Also, what are the odds you are one of the many who hark on about Liverpool not having the appropriate squad depth for the upcoming season?

Erm...

You've sold your only star player despite insisting for months that he would not be sold. The club you sold him to had a world class talent going spare and you couldn't even persuade him to join. Then you let Suarez leave without so much as a whimper and having not even secured a replacement. And you're now filling your squad mostly with Southampton players.

I haven't harked on about Liverpool's squad depth - you now look over-stocked up front but your defence and midfield remain neglected. Fill your squad by all means, but the starting 11 is seriously lacking in star quality now Suarez and his magic dust effect on others has been removed.

Whether you address that remains to be seen but attempting to become a re-branded Southampton probably won't cut it.

Both mercenary feckers who don't give much of a shit about anything but money. Perfectly valid comparison.
No. No, it isn't. Suarez racially abused a player, bit a player, then forced his way out of the club, who had stood by him, as soon as he possibly could.

Rooney threatened to leave twice to get himself a better contract.

Other than that, excellent comparison.

I think they still have some money left to spend
Suarez 75 million
Borini 14 million
Assaidi 7 million
Plus probably another couple of million from fringe players who go... Add into that the increased pl revenue and cl money and they could have up to 130-150m to spend
Lallana 25
Lovren 20
Markovich 20
Can 10
Remy 9
Lambert 4
They could easily have another 40-60 million left to go
Moreno looks likley for around 15 but that would still leave enough for a top quality player as well.

That said though I personally think

----Markovich----sturridge----stirling----
-------------------------lallana-----------------------
------------gerrard-------------henderson-----
Moreno-----sakho------------lovren------Johnson
-------------------------mignolet---------------------------
Jones, Agger, flanaghan, lucas, coutinho, remy, lambert

Looks pretty good and the pace up front will cause a lot of problems

No. No, it isn't. Suarez racially abused a player, bit a player, then forced his way out of the club, who had stood by him, as soon as he possibly could.

Rooney threatened to leave twice to get himself a better contract.

Other than that, excellent comparison.

I understand that you're supportive of him. Listen to neutrals on this though. The reasons why they tried to engineer moves don't matter, it's the lack of loyalty that's being pointed out. I remember the Rooney thread on here during the last one when 90% of you were giving him an absolute cnuting for his behaviour.

Owen left for peanuts. He also left right after Rafa had come in, this after he had been one of the players who had suggested that we appoint Benitez as our manager. He then went on to play for United.

Torres left for Chelsea. He went about it in the worst way possible to make things even worse. Again, this was after Kenny had just arrived and things were starting to look bright. This was after he made comments about never playing for another English club.

If you can't see how the Suarez situation is different...