Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

Would any one of these players make Chelsea's, City's, or Arsenal's first XI?

Don't think a single one would. Looks pretty average to me for a side with title ambitions.

That was my logic, too.

I would be amazed if Rodgers manages to get Liverpool into the top 4 again next season.

Don't think a single one would. Looks pretty average to me for a side with title ambitions.

Sturridge would start up front for Arsenal to be fair, while Sterling could arguably make it onto the wing for a couple of them when he's performing well. Although I agree they'll struggle to win the title this season. A battle for top 4 looks more realistic for them along with us and maybe Arsenal.

Sturridge would walk into Arsenal and Chelsea first XI. Gerrard was better than any Arsenal midfielder last season as was Henderson. Coutinho was easily better than Oscar after Christmas.

Sturridge would walk into Arsenal and Chelsea first XI. Gerrard was better than any Arsenal midfielder last season as was Henderson. Coutinho was easily better than Oscar after Christmas.

Last season perhaps, Sturridge wouldn't start ahead of Diego Costa and Coutinho's a level below Oscar at his best.

The title odds tell their own story...

Chelsea 2/1
City 5/2
United 11/2
Arsenal 13/2
Liverpool 11/1

Indeed they do last season we were 33/1, and United are on the drift out from 11/4.

Last edited:
Remy is a good signing IMO, especially at that price. I would expect close to 40 goals from Struddige and him combined in all competitions, but they'll need need some players to step up from midfield and their other back-up strikers like Lambert (maybe 10 goals depending on how much he plays) and Lallana (10).

However, I do still think Gerrard will be found wanting this season playing in Europe as well. Rodgers will have to manage him and decide which games are more important to use him in. I think Liverpool might need another central midfielder to come in, then I'll be convinced that they will compete for everything (and by that I mean have a chance of getting out of the group stage, finishing in the top four, and winning one of the lesser cups).

I think it's roundly accepted that Liverpool massively over performed last season, couple that together with a huge run of luck in the injury department and with all of the other big teams having a change of management leaving you only Arsenal to do an Arsenal, that league title was there for the taking and it was for want of a better wording bottled by your captain.

You got through with a weak bench due to injuries not coming at the wrong times and your forwards firing when the time was asked. Defensively the season was a massive disaster really, and that has yet to be properly addressed.
The leagues best performing forward has gone and with it a lot of the ability to paper over the defensive cracks.

Rivals have strengthened significantly, Arsenal have quite a daunting attacking core, Chelsea will come strong with Mourinho, City will be there abouts and United have rid themselves of their achilles heel in midfield and management, couple all that together with a hugely busy schedule of games and I don't think it's to harsh to wonder if Liverpool need to be a damn sight stronger than they currently are to contend. It's a very tough time because your basically required to do a spurs but from a relatively weaker position (squad wise) than when they lost Bale.

We had Enrique out for most of the season, Lucas out for months, Sturridge missed at least 6 weeks around November, Coutinho missed several weeks too, as did Agger and Sakho. The injury/luck scenario just doesn't add up.

We had Enrique out for most of the season, Lucas out for months, Sturridge missed at least 6 weeks around November, Coutinho missed several weeks too, as did Agger and Sakho. The injury/luck scenario just doesn't add up.
The 'luck' argument is pretty feeble really. Let's dismiss last season as a freak as that means it has zero bearing on the new season...aahh, that's better.

I was assuming that Sanchez would play up top for Arsenal in which case I'd say Sturridge wouldn't start for them. He certainly wouldn't start over Diego Costa at Chelsea.

Suppose you could make a case for Gerrard in Arsenal's midfield. Don't think he'd improve it, necessarily.

Not a chance Coutinho would get a look in over Oscar.

It's not purely a question of that though. Numerous comments on here writing us and the new additions off even before they have kicked a ball for us. We come on here to put our points across, of course Suarez leaving is relevant, however our squad/bench was very weak last season.

All we are saying is let's give our newer look squad time to settle in and not write off the likes of Lallana, Can & Markovic off as average signings when they haven't played for us, nor when some know little about them.
After all fairly sure we haven't labelled the likes of Herrera and Shaw the same way.

Not necessarily, our 2 big problems last was the clear lack of depth off the bench and conceding too many goals. The club cannot just go and buy a Suarez replacement just like that. The players that have come in would have joined anyway.

I am sure more additions will be made to make the strength of the squad better.

It is the point though, you lot even go into the RAWK thread to defend yourselves and argue everything. There is no in between with you lot. Whatever anybody says, you lot say the complete opposite. You would argue black is white if it had a Liverpool badge on it. You are always in all out defence mode with anything said about you.

You say people are writing you or the new players off before a ball is kicked yet but you all do the same to United and think the squad/players are actually rubbish due to 1 bad season with a bloke that was clearly not upto the job in charge. You go on about how United are in trouble and will find it hard but act like Liverpool have made it now and it will be easy, you are only going to get better. And then carry on trying to justify it by claiming we are all mad and just say it to bring you down.

Has anybody said that United's dealings are any better as of yet? Shaw and Herrara are upgrades to what we have/had, the players you bought are not as of yet. You are just filling your squad with numbers. You use the same old defence to try and justify things by bringing what United have or have done into it. I understand you try to put it in perspective but doing that is irrelevant.

Your team is weaker and the players you have currently bought do not concern anybody. As i have said Liverpool had a brilliant season but you had your best season with a lot going your way and still won nothing whilst also losing your best player and arguably the best player in the league. With the players you have bought in its only logical that people will think the way many people do on here about Liverpool, and its not only United fans that think that way. Would you be worried if United had bought the players you have?

Also you keep saying these players were coming anyway and you was going to spend this much plus income from sales. But what about the notion that Suarez wanted to leave last year and Liverpool probably knew this all season that he would probably be gone anyway? The budget may have been set knowing he was going? Would you be going for Remy if Suarez was staying? Im not sure. I may be wrong but i can not see Liverpool spending another £70-80m.

I was assuming that Sanchez would play up top for Arsenal in which case I'd say Sturridge wouldn't start for them. He certainly wouldn't start over Diego Costa at Chelsea.

Suppose you could make a case for Gerrard in Arsenal's midfield. Don't think he'd improve it, necessarily.

Not a chance Coutinho would get a look in over Oscar.

I don't understand the point. You could argue a lot of our players wouldn't have made Chelsea's team last season, or United's or others - it's a team, and we finished just 2 points behind City.
It's irrelevant who would get into who's team.

It is the point though, you lot even go into the RAWK thread to defend yourselves and argue everything. There is no in between with you lot. Whatever anybody says, you lot say the complete opposite. You would argue black is white if it had a Liverpool badge on it. You are always in all out defence mode with anything said about you.

You say people are writing you or the new players off before a ball is kicked yet but you all do the same to United and think the squad/players are actually rubbish due to 1 bad season with a bloke that was clearly not upto the job in charge. You go on about how United are in trouble and will find it hard but act like Liverpool have made it now and it will be easy, you are only going to get better. And then carry on trying to justify it by claiming we are all mad and just say it to bring you down.

Has anybody said that United's dealings are any better as of yet? Shaw and Herrara are upgrades to what we have/had, the players you bought are not as of yet. You are just filling your squad with numbers. You use the same old defence to try and justify things by bringing what United have or have done into it. I understand you try to put it in perspective but doing that is irrelevant.

Your team is weaker and the players you have currently bought do not concern anybody. As i have said Liverpool had a brilliant season but you had your best season with a lot going your way and still won nothing whilst also losing your best player and arguably the best player in the league. With the players you have bought in its only logical that people will think the way many people do on here about Liverpool, and its not only United fans that think that way. Would you be worried if United had bought the players you have?

Also you keep saying these players were coming anyway and you was going to spend this much plus income from sales. But what about the notion that Suarez wanted to leave last year and Liverpool probably knew this all season that he would probably be gone anyway? The budget may have been set knowing he was going? Would you be going for Remy if Suarez was staying? Im not sure. I may be wrong but i can not see Liverpool spending another £70-80m.

Where have I done that or posted on the current RAWK thread?
Can't comment on others but I haven't even viewed the Shaw & Herrera threads.

If United had bought Lallana and Markovic - yes I would be worried.

Where have any of us said it will be easy for Liverpool?

Your final paragraph, our understanding is our budget was around £60m plus sales, the manager has said the players bought so far were targets irrespective of the Suarez situation, which obviously affects the budget now he has been sold. I haven't a clue how much of that will be spent.

Last edited:
You say that bearing in mind some of our performances last season, where we blew teams away at times? Playing some of the best football I have seen at Anfield for a very long time.

Who was top scorer out of all those players?

I think you underestimate the Suarez effect. A player of such ability requires a team to specifically plan for him thus creating spaces for others. It was Suarez who put fear into opponents and the other players took advantage of this, a Liverpool team without him is easier to prepare for.

You base the United players in the hope the manager will turn things around, your 3 players didn't frighten many opponents last season.

What about the season before, did Joe Hart not refer to the team as a killing machine? Or does your memory not extend that far?

If we look back over say five seasons it becomes clear there is the very real possibility last season was a fluke for both United and Liverpool, this is the discussion, we are talking about ability of the squad since we cannot predict how they will perform.

Costa, how do we know he will be a success? Ozil started well last season but struggled at times with the pace and intensity of the English game.

You miss the point once more. You expect us to somehow predict the performances of these players yet that cannot be done, hence it is a question of the squad's ability. I'm sensing you are accepting Liverpool have a much inferior squad to the others in the top four hence trying to steer the discussion elsewhere.

The Suarez factor is relevant, we just don't know do we. As it stands Sturridge with Coutinho, Lallana, Markovic and Sterlng looks pretty good. Not sure why you quote Gerrard who will sit deep I assume.

I quote Gerrard because I asked you your three most important players or who I was responding to, they mentioned Gerrard as one. I was then showing them how other club's have much superior top players. This would have been obvious so you must not have put the post in context.

You also prove my point correct. You used the term 'pretty good', that's what I am saying. I'm glad you agree the squad is only pretty good however the level of Arsenal, United, City and Chelsea surpasses this.

Your final paragraph, our understanding is our budget was around £60m plus sales, the manager has said the players bought so far were targets irrespective of the Suarez situation, which obviously affects the budget now he has been sold. I haven't a clue how much of that will be spent.

Sorry i didnt mean you personally, i mean you lot as in Liverpool fans. The majority do it.

You mentioned Shaw and Herrara, i was just pointing out the difference between your signings and ours.

Yes your understanding of it, but as i have said i think Liverpool knew he was going or likely to long before the summer, hence why i said maybe the budget was based on him going. Maybe, maybe not, who actually knows. Sales may just mean the other payers you can dispose of on top of that. I still cannot see you lot spending £60m + Suarez money and any other money you get in. Maybe Rodgers is just trying to appease the fans, just spinning things to suit? I very much doubt you would be going for Remy if Suarez was staying. But obviously no one actually knows that or anything. We only know what has been said by the club and you lot are obviously going to believe them. The rest of us are little more dubious of it all.

The Mata of 2012/13 was up there but he's slipped back considerably in the past 12 months. He didn't impress after signing for United. As for global comparisons regarding creative midfielders, Ribery, Ozil, Rakitic are arguably better.

If Spain have the best three creative players in the world in 2014 then that side massively underperformed in the summer.

You just had to go and do that, didn't you! :lol:

Last season perhaps, Sturridge wouldn't start ahead of Diego Costa and Coutinho's a level below Oscar at his best.
I can see Sturridge out scoring Costa this season. I also think he will out score Sanchez.

Sorry i didnt mean you personally, i mean you lot as in Liverpool fans. The majority do it.

You mentioned Shaw and Herrara, i was just pointing out the difference between your signings and ours.

Yes your understanding of it, but as i have said i think Liverpool knew he was going or likely to long before the summer, hence why i said maybe the budget was based on him going. Maybe, maybe not, who actually knows. Sales may just mean the other payers you can dispose of on top of that. I still cannot see you lot spending £60m + Suarez money and any other money you get in. Maybe Rodgers is just trying to appease the fans, just spinning things to suit? I very much doubt you would be going for Remy if Suarez was staying. But obviously no one actually knows that or anything. We only know what has been said by the club and you lot are obviously going to believe them. The rest of us are little more dubious of it all.

I think if a player comes available, say what some would call a marquee signing. The club would look to spend big on someone, Sanchez for interest the club wanted him in. If a player of that standard is available and wants to come, I think the money is there for us to get him.
However, I don't think the manager will spend for the sake of it.

Anyone could see last season our squad depth was weak, on the bench we had Moses & Aspas. This coming season we could see combinations of Ibe, Lambert, Markovic, Suso, Coutinho and possibly others. I think Suarez going is obviously a concern but I still think squad wise we will be stronger than we have been for a long time.

Sturridge scored more than ALL those players last season. Gerrard created more goals than ALL those players last season. Sterling's key stats were better than nearlyall those last season. Yet, apparently none of these have required quality to match them.

Liverpool are better positioned at the start of this season than last. A year older means those untried and unproven players are now tried and tested. They stepped up last season and outperformed better known names. Yet despite all this it appears that lazy comparisons still dominate the discourse as rival fans paint a team who finished on 84 points with 101 goals as average. I just hope opposition managers share your complacency.

You cannot measure Suarez' effect in terms of Sturridge scoring more or Gerrard assisting more. You seem to not factor into account a player of Suarez' ability requires special planning and his runs, his work in general creates space for others to exploit. Suarez was the problem to deal with just as when you play against Ronaldo and Messi you game plan specifically for them, but in doing so others can exploit.

A liverpool team without Suarez will be easier to prepare for. This will be key!

In your second paragraph you further miss another key point. Liverpool shocked everybody last season but this season teams will know what to expect and treat them differently. Once a successful solution has been found to get even a point against them then other teams will replicate this, your post suggests to me you see things only from Liverpool's point of view expecting the opponents to treat them as if they finished 7th last season, this is an odd view.

You also talk about outperforming better known names but this is not where the championship is won or decided, it's those lesser teams that Suarez was so good at destroying. Those teams that will park the bus, look at Chelsea's performance against the top sides. The championship is won or lost in the games against the teams you should beat, those teams will prefer to prepare for a Liverpool without Suarez than with.

I have not painted the team as average but the squad as inferior to the other top four sides. And I have also stated Rodgers will need to work his magic again however in the absence of Suarez and the very fact teams will treat you as they will City, this will become much more difficult to do. The thread is about your squad for next season, you cannot say it is better than the other top four sides.

Borini's move in doubt as he has apparently gone on the club's US tour after turning down Sunderland.

You cannot measure Suarez' effect in terms of Sturridge scoring more or Gerrard assisting more. You seem to not factor into account a player of Suarez' ability requires special planning and his runs, his work in general creates space for others to exploit. Suarez was the problem to deal with just as when you play against Ronaldo and Messi you game plan specifically for them, but in doing so others can exploit.

A liverpool team without Suarez will be easier to prepare for. This will be key!

In your second paragraph you further miss another key point. Liverpool shocked everybody last season but this season teams will know what to expect and treat them differently. Once a successful solution has been found to get even a point against them then other teams will replicate this, your post suggests to me you see things only from Liverpool's point of view expecting the opponents to treat them as if they finished 7th last season, this is an odd view.

You also talk about outperforming better known names but this is not where the championship is won or decided, it's those lesser teams that Suarez was so good at destroying. Those teams that will park the bus, look at Chelsea's performance against the top sides. The championship is won or lost in the games against the teams you should beat, those teams will prefer to prepare for a Liverpool without Suarez than with.

I have not painted the team as average but the squad as inferior to the other top four sides. And I have also stated Rodgers will need to work his magic again however in the absence of Suarez and the very fact teams will treat you as they will City, this will become much more difficult to do. The thread is about your squad for next season, you cannot say it is better than the other top four sides.
On the one hand you suggest Liverpool won't require as much consideration from opposition sides given the absence of Suarez. You then say that teams will be better ready for Liverpool's threat this season. However, if opposition teams regard Liverpool in the same vein as yourself then such special treatment isn't required given the fact that the main threat has left.

On the general point about being 'ready for Liverpool', do people think well paid opposition managers went into games against Liverpool at Anfield underprepared? By March it was obvious how Liverpool were playing yet they were still managing to blow teams away. Fact is, a good side is a good side. Opponents struggled to deal with the pace of attacks from all angles. They knew it was coming but most collapsed to it. That's why good teams win matches. You don't go a full season being an unknown quantity.

The point is the poster called them average purely because they are Liverpool players.

I don't see how anyone can judge Markovic for example when he hasn't played for us yet.
To call the likes of Sterling and Sturridge average bearing in mind their performances last season is odd.

Lots of players didn't have great world cups, yet don't get labelled the same way.

Several comments on this thread about Markovic and Can - from people who haven't seen either of them play, and so far for LFC they have about 20mins game time. Let's give them a chance maybe?

Johnny I was replying to that poster. I was replying to the bolded part in your post! But I do agree with you about the new players. But in regards to Liverpool it's a big ask to fill Suarez boots with the players you's have bought so far. Rodgers will be doing well to get top four imo as us Arsenal and Spurs as well as Liverpool will be scrapping for 3rd and 4th place. Plus we all have bigger budgets than Liverpool and your most influential player is quickly regressing.

I think if a player comes available, say what some would call a marquee signing. The club would look to spend big on someone, Sanchez for interest the club wanted him in. If a player of that standard is available and wants to come, I think the money is there for us to get him.
However, I don't think the manager will spend for the sake of it.

Anyone could see last season our squad depth was weak, on the bench we had Moses & Aspas. This coming season we could see combinations of Ibe, Lambert, Markovic, Suso, Coutinho and possibly others. I think Suarez going is obviously a concern but I still think squad wise we will be stronger than we have been for a long time.

Nobody has said your squad is not stronger, we have said that you have some good signings as far as the squad is concerned, and its something you needed to do. But they do not concern anybody and do not improve your actual team as of yet. You are actually weaker due to losing Suarez, until its proven otherwise which will be hard to see. You may have the money because of the sale but i dont see you getting marquee players right now. Who do you actually think you could realistically get if available?

He seems to be spending it for the sake of it and getting these players to make the numbers up because he knows he can not get better. And of course he is also getting players that fit the style and system you play.

I thought I did. Your opinion on the quality of player = potential league position. United finished 7th = average players.

Isn't that how it works ?

Oh it's always interesting to be told what my opinion is :wenger:

As I said, it's nice you're putting a brave face on it but don't kid yourself - if I'd told you a few months ago that you'd sell Suarez and the two strikers you'd sign would be Rickie Lambert and Loic Remy, you'd have (somewhat fairly) accused me of being on a wind-up. Be honest, it's exactly the sort of thing someone from here would have made up to wind you up over the potential loss of Suarez (which you all denied would happen).

Now the 'wind-up' has actually come to pass, you're putting on a brace face and it's apparently 'excellent business' to sell your only star player and buy two strikers with only a fraction of his ability. There's not a chance in hell you'd have told me this was excellent business if, in May, I'd held it up to you as a vision of your summer.

If we stop at Remy and Lambert, then I'd agree.

But again, as 3rd/4th choice players - when we're seemingly selling Borini and Assaidi for £21m, then this is shrewd business.

Apparently, they have enquired about taking Isco on loan from Real Madrid and the odds have shortened from 5/1 to 5/2. The Rodriguez arrival if that goes through, will have a big say in this proposed transfer..

And to be fair to them, would be excellent business

Sterling
Sturridge
Gerrard
Coutinho
Markovic
Henderson
All average?

Every single one of those players has a question mark for me. Especially Gerrard who is getting older. You cannot tell how Markovic will do in the PL. Sturridge has had one good season and now he must do it without Suarez. I think a lot of LFC supporters are going to be let down this next season.

If you think.Liverpool can match last seasons feats with Suarez gone and Gerrard and Sturridge the teams focus then you are in for a shock

Every single one of those players has a question mark for me. Especially Gerrard who is getting older. You cannot tell how Markovic will do in the PL. Sturridge has had one good season and now he must do it without Suarez. I think a lot of LFC supporters are going to be let down this next season.

If you think.Liverpool can match last seasons feats with Suarez gone and Gerrard and Sturridge the teams focus then you are in for a shock
Sturridge has had an outstanding 18 months. Been scoring goals since the day he signed. Sterling is still young but looks class and Gerrard still has a hold over the league in terms of experience and presence.

Nobody knows what it'll be like without a Suarez but I trust Rodgers to continue his development and improvement of players.

Sturridge has had an outstanding 18 months. Been scoring goals since the day he signed. Sterling is still young but looks class and Gerrard still has a hold over the league in terms of experience and presence.

Nobody knows what it'll be like without a Suarez but I trust Rodgers to continue his development and improvement of players.

If you say so kid...dont say you werent warned. Lead Balloon next season. I dont say this out of malice its just how I read the situation.

What does 'have a hold over the league' mean?
He has a stature and presence both with opposition players and referees; he's an influential figure and he knows how to get results. He's not the same player these days but Rodgers use of him has been very smart. He'd do a job in most midfields bar Chelsea and City.

Ramsey walks into a midfield slot before either of these two

He has a stature and presence both with opposition players and referees; he's an influential figure and he knows how to get results. He's not the same player these days but Rodgers use of him has been very smart. He'd do a job in most midfields bar Chelsea and City.

Knows how to get results...just not when it matters

I'm not sure what to make of Liverpool's summer spending so far. Was an injection real quality not a priority, instead of littering the squad with reasonable talent. Rodgers might have to earn his corn, just yet.

If United had bought Lallana and Markovic - yes I would be worried.

Where have any of us said it will be easy for Liverpool?

I agree. I would be worried too!