Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

We had Enrique out for most of the season, Lucas out for months, Sturridge missed at least 6 weeks around November, Coutinho missed several weeks too, as did Agger and Sakho. The injury/luck scenario just doesn't add up.
You managed to have Sturridge out as Suarez flew into form and vice versa.
Your defensive record speaks for the rest of the injuries but even then it's hardly a list of crocks that would strike me as devastating, Sturridge and possibly Coutinho aside your looking at squad players out a few weeks.

You are asking why people think Liverpool will struggle even though they have added players to the squad, it's quite simple really, Liverpool minus Suarez and Gerrard a year older and bordering on liability are a weaker and less threatening first 11. Everybody around the top spots has improved it's first 11 quite considerably and Liverpool have dipped, I am leaving my crystal ball well out of it as you may well be stronger overall, football throws up shocks all the time, a bit like your form last year and also the actual amount of dip United suffered.

It's still not such a daft thing to suggest Liverpool are going to struggle though, common sense is pointing to it.

I agree. I would be worried too!

Markovic might prove to be an excellent addition even Lallana to a degree, the problem for Liverpool might come against the leagues best sides and certainly CL when you need that extra degree of quality.
The loss of Suarez will be a huge, huge blow although Barney will be along soon enough to tell us once again, that Sturridgerpool did fine during his ban last season.

Another thing to consider from the loss of Suarez is that he was such a ball-hogger that more chances might go to the other players this season. The ratty little shit was always taking on the whole defence or blasting shots from all angles...admittedly it came off for him quite brilliantly a lot of the time though.

You managed to have Sturridge out as Suarez flew into form and vice versa.
Your defensive record speaks for the rest of the injuries but even then it's hardly a list of crocks that would strike me as devastating, Sturridge and possibly Coutinho aside your looking at squad players out a few weeks.

You are asking why people think Liverpool will struggle even though they have added players to the squad, it's quite simple really, Liverpool minus Suarez and Gerrard a year older and bordering on liability are a weaker and less threatening first 11. Everybody around the top spots has improved it's first 11 quite considerably and Liverpool have dipped, I am leaving my crystal ball well out of it as you may well be stronger overall, football throws up shocks all the time, a bit like your form last year and also the actual amount of dip United suffered.

It's still not such a daft thing to suggest Liverpool are going to struggle though, common sense is pointing to it.

It is quite simple, I would imagine many have seen little of Can & Markovic yet write them off as average. Let us see how they get on and give them a chance.

I don't make predictions but I think Lallana will be a cracking addition for us.

It is quite simple, I would imagine many have seen little of Can & Markovic yet write them off as average. Let us see how they get on and give them a chance.

I think thats fair. Personally I've never heard of them but that's quite common with Liverpool transfers. Too often posters come on here and claim to know all about players from video compilations and have never actually see them play 90 minutes.

Markovic might prove to be an excellent addition even Lallana to a degree, the problem for Liverpool might come against the leagues best sides and certainly CL when you need that extra degree of quality.
The loss of Suarez will be a huge, huge blow although Barney will be along soon enough to tell us once again, that Sturridgerpool did fine during his ban last season.

Markovic definitely won't set the league on fire right from the word go. He will definitely need some settling in time in the PL. The biggest thing pool fans are discounting is the fear factor of Suarez. A lot of teams last season crumbled because of Suarez since they feared his ability to create something out of nothing. Also, this team isn't very experienced in handling crunch situations and it is going to be one during the title run in (and they bottled it last year as well).

I am in the camp that thinks it is a time for consolidation for Liverpool not for a title challenge and they would do very well to retain a CL spot. Of course, things can change between now and Aug 31.

They strengthened significantly last summer too. It's all bit too simplistic to say that a team will improve because they've spent more money, & bought (on paper) better players. Football doesn't always work like that. Last season was an ideal case in point.

& where do you get this notion that our squad is weaker than the Spurs side that finished 5th on 72 points in Bales final season ? Even with Suarez gone, & not taking into account the new signings, we still have an established attacking trio of Sturridge, Sterling, & Couthinho. Those 3 on their own will cause more problems, & score more goals, than the likes of Adebayor, Dempsey, Defoe, & Lennon.
My suggestion that you will have to do a Spurs actually stems from your own success, it was a worry I held for United, had we qualified for Europa. Your in a position where you have to bring in faces to add depth in order to sustain yourselves over the course of a busy season. That alone was a huge job even before Suarez jumped ship.

Just to clear up, I wasn't suggesting any comparisons to yours and Spurs squad just the situation where they bought half a new squad and then struggled to find any consistency. You have found yourselves in a similar position really, does anybody remember Leeds United ;)

Markovic definitely won't set the league on fire right from the word go. He will definitely need some settling in time in the PL. The biggest thing pool fans are discounting is the fear factor of Suarez. A lot of teams last season crumbled because of Suarez since they feared his ability to create something out of nothing. Also, this team isn't very experienced in handling crunch situations and it is going to be one during the title run in (and they bottled it last year as well).

I am in the camp that thinks it is a time for consolidation for Liverpool not for a title challenge and they would do very well to retain a CL spot. Of course, things can change between now and Aug 31.
It is but will the fans demand more ? I've just referenced Leeds in my previous post as a bit of a wum but the PL and CL are such a strong place to compete that Liverpool really have to make the decision to either take the money and build slowly or go all out in the next couple of windows. In all honesty I have no idea how Rodge will choose to play this but he certainly had the characteristics to take the glory route.
Clear the group stages and a battle for top four should really be the focus.

Ramsey walks into a midfield slot before either of these two
Good call. However, his absence highlighted the poverty of alternatives. Henderson and Gerrard would have improved that midfield especially in the more dogged games.

If we stop at Remy and Lambert, then I'd agree.

But again, as 3rd/4th choice players - when we're seemingly selling Borini and Assaidi for £21m, then this is shrewd business.

It's not really that shrewd. You've signed a 32-year-old Southampton striker and a QPR striker who had a known buy-out clause.

Anyone could've made those signings. I sincerely doubt Remy has signed to be 3rd/4th choice either, unless he's completely devoid of ambition.

It's all a bit of a hark back to the Rafa days where he would keep signing shit players and then end up replacing them 1 or 2 years later in a never-ending circulation of shit. Couple that with losing and so far failing to replace your star player, and it doesn't look very clever.

Another thing to consider from the loss of Suarez is that he was such a ball-hogger that more chances might go to the other players this season. The ratty little shit was always taking on the whole defence or blasting shots from all angles...admittedly it came off for him quite brilliantly a lot of the time though.
Yeah but he caused havoc in opposing defences which allowed bang average players like Sturridge to shine. Watch them flounder without him

Yeah but he caused havoc in opposing defences which allowed bang average players like Sturridge to shine. Watch them flounder without him

True enough. I think that probably outweighs the hogging. Players like him are pretty much irreplaceable and to pretend otherwise is not realistic. Can't help but wonder what would have happened if we'd put in a second bid.

I don't make predictions but I think Lallana will be a cracking addition for us.

Is this not a prediction ha ha in all seriousness Johnny I think he will also. Plus Milner will be a good buy if you's get him as although not a superstar he's a steady player who can cover a right few positions.

True enough. I think that probably outweighs the hogging. Players like him are pretty much irreplaceable and to pretend otherwise is not realistic. Can't help but wonder what would have happened if we'd put in a second bid.

They kept Suarez.

We still won a trophy, Liverpool won nothing and now he's at Barcelona.

Worked out pretty well if you ask me, if he had signed I doubt he would have stayed here more than two seasons tops. This was always his end game, getting that move to Barcelona/Real Madrid.

They kept Suarez.

Worked out pretty well if you ask me, if he had signed I doubt he would have stayed here more than two seasons tops. This was always his end game, getting that move to Barcelona/Real Madrid.

He'd certainly have fecked us over without hesitation. But imagine all of the goals and him biting Dawson...would have been a legend.

They kept Suarez.

Yeah he could have forced the transfer to us but he didn't want to. Much better off now with Sanchez.

He'd certainly have fecked us over without hesitation. But imagine all of the goals and him biting Dawson...would have been a legend.

:drool:

Hilarious how he treated Liverpool in the end. The Evra saga, t shirts, backing him over the Ivanovic incident, saying all he wants is CL football leading Pool fans to believe that if they got it he would say. They get CL football and the first chance he gets to leave this summer he's out the door. Not a single moment of hesitation.

Serves them right.

@ Pete

According to Gazidis we should have got him and would have got him if the case had gone to court but it wasn't our place to sue them. Contract was between Suarez and Liverpool and if he really wanted to come to us then he should have taken them to court. I hope anytime Liverpool wants any one of our players and I don't care if its Yaya Sanogo, we should just put down the phone or delete their emails.

Rodgers and his geography comment can do one by the way, implying the only reason Sanchez came here was because of our location. Ridiculous statement, public transport does exist. He could quite easily play for Liverpool and visit London on his offdays with his family if they are so inclined, I just think they can't quite fathom how any player could reject them for us, the arrogance is astounding.

Is this not a prediction ha ha in all seriousness Johnny I think he will also. Plus Milner will be a good buy if you's get him as although not a superstar he's a steady player who can cover a right few positions.

Okay I give you that one :). Not really sure the Milner rumours are true.

Apparently Lovren deal is edging closer, according to some source in Croatia. Will see if that is genuine I guess.

Milner would be a good pick-up for anybody given his versatility. A good squad player who'll give some occasional moments of quality.

If Sturridge starts 30 games next season, he'll score 20 goals minimum. He's an excellent player. RvP and Aguero are the only two strikers who are better than him.

:drool:

Hilarious how he treated Liverpool in the end. The Evra saga, t shirts, backing him over the Ivanovic incident, saying all he wants is CL football leading Pool fans to believe that if they got it he would say. They get CL football and the first chance he gets to leave this summer he's out the door. Not a single moment of hesitation.

Serves them right.

@ Pete

According to Gazidis we should have got him and would have got him if the case had gone to court but it wasn't our place to sue them. Contract was between Suarez and Liverpool and if he really wanted to come to us then he should have taken them to court. I hope anytime Liverpool wants any one of our players and I don't care if its Yaya Sanogo, we should just put down the phone or delete their emails.

Rodgers and his geography comment can do one by the way, implying the only reason Sanchez came here was because of our location. Ridiculous statement, public transport does exist. He could quite easily play for Liverpool and visit London on his offdays with his family if they are so inclined, I just think they can't quite fathom how any player could reject them for us, the arrogance is astounding.

He didn't treat us badly at all. He was a big part in helping us get back into the CL. Most Liverpool fans see him leave and wish him all the best.

Rodgers would know more about why Sanchez turned us down than you.

Are Liverpool not going to bring in another star?

We're being linked with Isco.

Okay I give you that one :). Not really sure the Milner rumours are true.

Apparently Lovren deal is edging closer, according to some source in Croatia. Will see if that is genuine I guess.

Barrett is endorsing the source, so that's good enough for me.

He didn't treat us badly at all. He was a big part in helping us get back into the CL. Most Liverpool fans see him leave and wish him all the best.

Rodgers would know more about why Sanchez turned us down than you.

You really think the ONLY reason he chose us was because we're based in London? Really?

Nothing to do with Wenger, our pedigree, wanting to play with Ozil, wages, recent fa cup victory?

I think Rodgers was playing up to the fanbase with that comment and its clearly worked. Anyway, Rodgers can say what he likes and you guys are free to believe it, point is we got Sanchez.

Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season, for Liverpool's sake I really hope Sturridge turns out to be in the top 3 strikers in the league but I don't see it.

Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season, for Liverpool's sake I really hope Sturridge turns out to be in the top 3 strikers in the league but I don't see it.

With Suarez gone, he is already the third best striker in the league. RvP and Aguero are the only ones better.

Sturridge has to prove for more than one season though. Now that he'll be Liverpool's main man, it'll be different psychologically. It could be more pressure or he could even score more goals. Only time will tell.

You really think the ONLY reason he chose us was because we're based in London? Really?

Nothing to do with Wenger, our pedigree, wanting to play with Ozil, wages, recent fa cup victory?

I think Rodgers was playing up to the fanbase with that comment and its clearly worked. Anyway, Rodgers can say what he likes and you guys are free to believe it, point is we got Sanchez.

I do think it is predominantly a London thing, that's been widely reported. Obviously Arsenal are a draw in themselves as well.

The one thing that I think was irrelevant was the FA Cup win. Firstly, it was the first trophy in almost a decade so not part of a string of trophy-laden seasons. Secondly, if you apply that logic and do think it was a factor then what about Liverpool's superior league finish? Fact is, had Liverpool won the FA Cup I don't think it would have turned his head.

In 43 games for Liverpool he's scored 31 goals. If this was a £45m foreign signing we'd all be going mad with those stats. However, we are being sold a line that it was all down to Suarez.

Sturridge actually scored in more games last season than any player and his goals were more valuable in terms of their impact on results than any player - 20 points according to Opta.

This guy is class and he's been doing it for 18 months now.

I do think it is predominantly a London thing, that's been widely reported. Obviously Arsenal are a draw in themselves as well.

The one thing that I think was irrelevant was the FA Cup win. Firstly, it was the first trophy in almost a decade so not part of a string of trophy-laden seasons. Secondly, if you apply that logic and do think it was a factor then what about Liverpool's superior league finish? Fact is, had Liverpool won the FA Cup I don't think it would have turned his head.

Probably more like it's an indicator that we've possibly turned a corner and will get better and better.

Sturridge has to prove for more than one season though. Now that he'll be Liverpool's main man, it'll be different psychologically. It could be more pressure or he could even score more goals. Only time will tell.
To be fair, he's been scoring goals for a season and a half for Liverpool at this stage, not just the one.

Widely reported by who? Liverpool friendly journalists?

So for years people have been saying "Arsenal need to win trophies to attract top players", now we have and its irrelevant?

So all this time I spent thinking we needed to pay big wages, a world class manager, trophies + ability to pay big fees to attract the world's best players when all we needed was to tell them that we're based in London, good to know.

Like I said originally, Sanchez could have easily gone to Liverpool and travelled to London with his family if he really wanted to go there.

In 43 games for Liverpool he's scored 31 goals. If this was a £45m foreign signing we'd all be going mad with those stats. However, we are being sold a line that it was all down to Suarez.

Sturridge actually scored in more games last season than any player and his goals were more valuable in terms of their impact on results than any player - 20 points according to Opta.

This guy is class and he's been doing it for 18 months now.
Come back at the end of the season.

With Suarez gone, he is already the third best striker in the league. RvP and Aguero are the only ones better.
With Lambert now in Liverpool red has this pushed Wayne Rooney back another place too ?
I don't know if you've noticed this at all but English strikers have been notoriously f*cking rubbish under any sort of pressure at all.
Sturridge shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Van Persie and Aguero.