View full 2024-25 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
The butcher.
- by the time he's finished the defence is a bloody mess.

He wouldn't even be in the conversation to start for Spurs never mind the real elite teams.

Both Van De Ven and Romero bring similar or better ball playing ability while also being top level defenders with elite athleticism.

Last edited:
As overrated as Herrera. Passion merchant who can play good passes but is far too excited to play consistently. He will be deadwood in a couple of years due to my belief that another manager wouldn't want him to play at centre back

Just as much of a thug as he was at Ajax. Small wonder he hasnt broken someone's leg with one of his moronic challenges.

Not seeing it with him. In this league you need size and pace at CB (look at van de Ven who doesn’t look out of place), the two things he doesn’t have and his other abilities don’t make up for it. Once Yoro comes back he’ll be benched and a new manager will probably look to move him on.

Pretty good in the first half, but starting with diving in when he couldnt even see the ball and was turning in the buildup to the Kulusevski goal and then a late slide tackle on Maddison, he had a poor 2nd half

Edit - Rewatching the 2nd half, despite his error on the 2nd goal and booking he was still our best player as we came back into the game in terms of creating chances and going forward. Several good passes and getting forward to get some shots off

Last edited:
He is reflecting the team.right now. Careless with some silly tackles. His passing is still very good.

I got slagged off when I said he has been found out this season. Still hope I'm proven wrong. But what pisses me off the most about him this season is the lack of urgency in his play. Just strolling about casually, passing sideways... It just looks like he doesn't give a damn and just going through the motions.

I’m so over him charging from defence like Mrs Doubtfire (“help is on the way, dear!”) and then being way out of position when he inevitably misses the tackle.

Pretty good in the first half, but starting with diving in when he couldnt even see the ball and was turning in the buildup to the Kulusevski goal and then a late slide tackle on Maddison, he had a poor 2nd half

Edit - Rewatching the 2nd half, despite his error on the 2nd goal and booking he was still our best player as we came back into the game in terms of creating chances and going forward. Several good passes and getting forward to get some shots off

Yeah, he was actually one of our best players in that second half spell when we caused Spurs some problems.

To me he seems like he might be starting to finally hit some form in the last 2 or 3 games, which is being undermined by some really braindead decisions leading to bad moments. If he cuts those out we might be seeing him getting back to his best.

Another poor performance from him yesterday, where was he on the second goal when Kulusevski was left completely unmarked in front of our goal?

Yoro will take his place why a more athletic central defense.

Romero-Van de Veen are a quick and athletic defense and it make difference with the version of Martinez.

Useless, harsh and slow

Mentioned it in the match thread but I think he looks stiffer in his movement than he was 2 years ago. His lack of pace and aerial power was always a problem but in his first season he was much better in 1 v 1's and in the press, was nimble enough to make up for his lack of pace and acceleration. At the moment he is getting beaten regularly in the duels he was once doing well in, over committing and taking himself out of the game. Some of that could be rust, needing to dial back the aggression a touch, I really hope it isn't the injuries biting because he can't afford to lose any physical edge.

Why is he always out of position? He tried to press so high up the pitch that a simple pass takes him out the game. Surely that isn’t instruction? One CB pushing so high to the pitch and the other left to fend for himself? That has to do how rash he is thinking he can win every ball he is going for.

Another one who looks good initially and then the United malaise takes over.

Dead weight in the air, really needs to get back the qualities he showed when he arrived or he'll quickly miss out of Yoro is even remotely decent.

Mentioned it in the match thread but I think he looks stiffer in his movement than he was 2 years ago. His lack of pace and aerial power was always a problem but in his first season he was much better in 1 v 1's and in the press, was nimble enough to make up for his lack of pace and acceleration. At the moment he is getting beaten regularly in the duels he was once doing well in, over committing and taking himself out of the game. Some of that could be rust, needing to dial back the aggression a touch, I really hope it isn't the injuries biting because he can't afford to lose any physical edge.
I think he’s always had that tendency, even first season where he was quite often overplayed far out or losing duels. It was not as bad as last season or this season where he is now at 46% win rate in ground duels, but it happened fairly often. One major difference is that in his first season he had a very good Casemiro in front of him and a very good Varane who covered for him so it didn’t cost us like now. DeLigt doesn’t have the same mentality to fall back and Ugarte is not the same level as the good version of Casemiro. The new thing this season seems to be that he is also dragged too far to the side, partly because there is no Dalot around.

Good footballer but slightly overrated by the fanbase imo. Maybe because he's Argentinian and has a cool nickname.

Hasnt had the best start to the season but who has?

Hopefully he finds the form he had in his first five months at the club, before the injuries.

Good footballer but slightly overrated by the fanbase imo. Maybe because he's Argentinian and has a cool nickname.

Hasnt had the best start to the season but who has?

Hopefully he finds the form he had in his first five months at the club, before the injuries.
Not slightly. In the Summer you'd be killed on here for saying he's not a top 5 defender in the world, because Pep said so and he must be.

Still have a lot of time for Martinez. He is still a good defender, and one of the players that bring the right attitude. The entire team has started poorly, and I don't think Martinez has stood out as worse than the rest. In a well-coached side and next to the right partner, I think he could still be excellent.

FC Porto 3:3 Man Utd New
Short, slow and incredibly rash...someone please tell me how we expect to be a top 4 team with this liability in the centre of defence?
He will lose 50% of the times against quality attackers - and most of them will lead to GOALS!

Frankly, he just looks like a kid from the make a wish foundation, there is no positives to playing him over Maguire, Yoro or even fecking Lindelöf.

This guy is bad. If we get a new manager, then Martinez is out the door.

Don’t get what they were trying to do tonight, was left isolated a lot and that CB partnership needs a lot of work.

I refuse to believe he's this bad. Ten Hag's tactics aren't helping him either.

One of the worst defenders in the league at the moment.

He was always flawed, but this is a massive drop from him compared to his first season, he is just not moving right, stiff, slow on the turn, slowest outfield player at the club over distance maybe, leaving him highly vulnerable in this ridiculous approach.

Needs to sit out.

Completely exposed in games where we're not camped in our own box. Will be one of the first casualties of a new manager.

This guy is bad. If we get a new manager, then Martinez is out the door.
Yep. Going to be a very short list of managers who will voluntarily play a ploddingly slow, wrecklessly rash centre-back who's overmatched physically in every game.

Thankfully.

Yeah, I've gone off him. He's performing awfully. Struggling to think of many recent games where he's looked good.

Fergie would’ve played him in midfield by now. He might be shit at it, but Fergie would’ve tried it about 10 times over