2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
He is starting to have these "moments" in a game where he is completely losing his head. He elbowed Szoboslai quite high, totally unnecessary as he wasn't going anywhere. He jumped into the tackle yesterday, and was lucky that Kamada was not conning enough to buy the red card.

He has these mini fights in games, looking for a tussle with a player, just to show that he is not afraid of anyone. He did it yesterday with Sarr in the middle of the pitch, and wasn't able to get back into his position in time, and lucky for us, Onana pulled that double save. Sometimes, he reminds me of Christian Romero, capable of brilliance, but with the option to have his red minute at times. Might be the Argentinian thing coming out.

He seems to be more focus on finding ways to get into a fight, that is causing him to lose concentration on his primary job, defending. I absolutely loved him from the first season, progressive passes between lines, super focus on defending. Just like his performance v City in the FA Cup final.

However, he is starting to develop this "habit" of doing these type of crazy things in a game, which are impacting his overall performance.
Small man syndrome.

This forum is a very strange place at times. Martinez was excellent yesterday and looks to be forming a good partnership with de Ligt.
I thought he was too actually, up until he lost his mind and it looked he was trying to get himself sent off. From that point on he was terrible.

you have a gift. Each post I see gets progressively worse than the last. Congratulations.
Better than starting at rock bottom and staying there like yourself.

Others have agreed so it's a perfectly valid post.

It seems people want him to flop. Not understanding the hate he is getting. Sometime I do feel our fans deserve Lindelof and Maguire. Glad Mazraoui has had a great start or he would have been bashed as well

I'd imagine there'd be calls for AWB and Maguire to be starting over Martinez and Mazraoui..

He’s one of the best 3-5 defenders in the world.
Going too far. Hes good but he isn’t even top 3 in the PL and its arguable if hes even the best at the club. Its a good thing though we have 2 really good CBs and a very good young one too.

Going too far. Hes good but he isn’t even top 3 in the PL and its arguable if hes even the best at the club. Its a good thing though we have 2 really good CBs and a very good young one too.
I think de Ligt will prove to be a better defender than him indeed.

I also think we have 4 good defenders, including Maguire.

I think de Ligt will prove to be a better defender than him indeed.

I also think we have 4 good defenders, including Maguire.
Fair I put Maguire in the decent category and a clear level or 2 below Martinez and De Ligt

I made that comment on the premise of your statement that it doesn’t matter that he was nowhere near the player and should have seen a red card.

It’s only logical to think then that any stamp on a field of play deserves a red card?
ah do you think he meant literally anywhere ?
I believed he was just exaggerating the distance between the players

Seemed logical

Think he's less impressive than his first season so far. Maybe Varane made him better than he's, or maybe he's still affected by his second season, but I am still finding that he needs to improve some positioning.

To be honest, Yoro coming back will be really tough for him in the coming month.

Seriously, ETH need to tell him to stop walking with the ball and then side way passing to De Ligt against a team like Palace when the game is still 0-0 from 80 mins onwards. We are Man Utd and not playing for a draw. Under SAF, this was throw kitchen sink time. SAF would drop him just for walking with the ball let alone at 80 min.

Seriously, ETH need to tell him to stop walking with the ball and then side way passing to De Ligt against a team like Palace when the game is still 0-0 from 80 mins onwards. We are Man Utd and not playing for a draw. Under SAF, this was throw kitchen sink time. SAF would drop him just for walking with the ball let alone at 80 min.
Man we don’t play in those days, let it go. The team was flagging hard by that point, really once the subs had been made we were the weaker team. We should have comfortably put 2-3 goals on them and been cruising but we weren’t, an away point at Palace when you’ve been the better team is frustrating but it’s a hell of a lot better than all the games we’ve thrown points away in to late goals.

He’s looking much better the last couple of games after a shaky restart to the season. Him and De Ligt I think will make a solid pair.

Think he's less impressive than his first season so far. Maybe Varane made him better than he's, or maybe he's still affected by his second season, but I am still finding that he needs to improve some positioning.

To be honest, Yoro coming back will be really tough for him in the coming month.

He’s also just not as sharp on the ball it seems. I swear his first season he’d be firing progressive first time passes through the lines constantly, and now he looks more hesitant to do so for whatever reason.

Hope that changes, because if he’s not world class on the ball like he can be then his value in a first choice XI gets diminished

Man we don’t play in those days, let it go. The team was flagging hard by that point, really once the subs had been made we were the weaker team. We should have comfortably put 2-3 goals on them and been cruising but we weren’t, an away point at Palace when you’ve been the better team is frustrating but it’s a hell of a lot better than all the games we’ve thrown points away in to late goals.

He’s looking much better the last couple of games after a shaky restart to the season. Him and De Ligt I think will make a solid pair.

Have you ever seen a Liverpool or City or Arsenal centerback walking with the ball and make sideway passing when chasing a winner in dying minutes of a game?

I actually agree somewhat though that at the 80-85th minute I would have preferred just having another attacker on the pitch instead of going like for like on subs. Or even it was just Casemiro on for a defender to push Bruno even higher or something and have another man in the box.

What’s more annoying is that we seemed to resort to going very direct with the Rashford sub (dumb, we were outplaying them), but then didn’t actually get uber direct in the final minutes and go for it. The approach was backwards

Have you ever seen a Liverpool or City or Arsenal centerback walking with the ball and make sideway passing when chasing a winner in dying minutes of a game?
Hence why I said we don’t play in those days anymore. Other clubs don’t even see us as a CL team these days, that’s the first rung to graft our way back to. Thinking we need to go full attack against a Palace team who thrive on the break after we look knackered and they’ve entered the ascendancy is just silly.

I actually agree somewhat though that at the 80-85th minute I would have preferred just having another attacker on the pitch instead of going like for like on subs. Or even it was just Casemiro on for a defender to push Bruno even higher or something and have another man in the box.

What’s more annoying is that we seemed to resort to going very direct with the Rashford sub (dumb, we were outplaying them), but then didn’t actually get uber direct in the final minutes and go for it. The approach was backwards
If we’d been bossing the game as we had until about 60mins, I’d be all for the offensive change but the reality is they ended the game well and we didn’t. I really don’t mind performances like that because I know we will usually win when we’ve created that much, if someone criticism of Martinez is he slowed things down on 80mins it just seems a bit forced.

Hence why I said we don’t play in those days anymore. Other clubs don’t even see us as a CL team these days, that’s the first rung to graft our way back to. Thinking we need to go full attack against a Palace team who thrive on the break after we look knackered and they’ve entered the ascendancy is just silly.

Where did I say we go full attack? There is something in between. We need to play and move the ball around faster. If we have any ambition to be Top 4 team, we can't be walking with the ball and keep passing side way to De Ligt in a match that we need to win.

Unless Top 4 now is not our target anymore?

The taking so many touches on the ball that he did on Saturday was not something i usually associate with him but he looked frustrated with the amount of movement ahead of him. Personally I think the team were completely out of ideas at that point in the match and it affected everyone.

Some very questionable moments in games from him- the two footed stamp was beyond stupid- but also worth noting some of the better things he did. Pretty sure he stopped a very good chance for Palace in the last few minutes.

Some people seem determined to say he's overrated on here. A very good first season, an injury-ravaged second season but with an FA cup final performance that was praised by Pep, and 5 games into this season that hasn't been great. I can understand some concerns but to me he has credit in the bank. Let's see how it goes.

If we’d been bossing the game as we had until about 60mins, I’d be all for the offensive change but the reality is they ended the game well and we didn’t. I really don’t mind performances like that because I know we will usually win when we’ve created that much, if someone criticism of Martinez is he slowed things down on 80mins it just seems a bit forced.
My point is we got it backwards. We went Rashford/Zirkzee in the 60th and then became way more direct instead of continuing to control the game, and then seemed to slow tempo down in the dying moments of the game when THAT was the time to go direct and try to crash something in the box to get a winner.

Where did I say we go full attack? There is something in between. We need to play and move the ball around faster. If we have any ambition to be Top 4 team, we can't be walking with the ball and keep passing side way to De Ligt in a match that we need to win.

Unless Top 4 now is not our target anymore?
Do we NEED to win every single away game for top four?

Villa were 4th last year and lost to (Away):
Palace
Bournemouth
Fulham
Wolves

And Drew with.
Leeds
Forest
WHUM
Brentford

That’s not including any of the bigger teams

My point is we got it backwards. We went Rashford/Zirkzee in the 60th and then became way more direct instead of continuing to control the game, and then seemed to slow tempo down in the dying moments of the game when THAT was the time to go direct and try to crash something in the box to get a winner.
Ok got it, Rashford coming on will do that though. Eriksen then came off as well. That’s just the bench we have, lots of decent players but I’m not sure how well they suit possession football (Case and Mount) The only player I think would buck that trend is Antony but, for obvious reasons, he didn’t come on.

He doesn't normally do that. He played the ball much slower and safer against Palace than he normally does. It may have been a deliberate choice (either by himself or from the coaching staff) as his passing has been quite off so far this season and he's given away quite a lot of dangerous passes that have put us under a lot of pressure.

Do we NEED to win every single away game for top four?

Villa were 4th last year and lost to (Away):
Palace
Bournemouth
Fulham
Wolves

And Drew with.
Leeds
Forest
WHUM
Brentford

That’s not including any of the bigger teams

We can't win every single game away but at least we must try and give 110%. Not walking with the ball and passing sideway to defenders. How do you build a winning mentality? How do you train your player to go all out and give their best every game?

I think we have to agree to disagree. I hope Man Utd standard has not dropped so low compared to City, Arsenal and etc.

Some people seem determined to say he's overrated on here. A very good first season, an injury-ravaged second season but with an FA cup final performance that was praised by Pep, and 5 games into this season that hasn't been great. I can understand some concerns but to me he has credit in the bank. Let's see how it goes.
Personally I don't think many people rate him at the correct level. It feels like half the fans overrate him, and the other half underrate him.

When he's been good he's been brilliant, and genuinely does look like one of the best defenders out there. However he's been more inconsistent than most people make out. In his first season he was mostly great for the first few months, however his form had already dropped off and he'd been quite average in the months leading up to his injury. In his second season I won't hold his poor start against him as it seemed he hadn't recovered properly from the injury, then he'd been good in his returns both in the middle and end of the season. Then this season so far he's had a fairly poor start.

His form has been a bit all over the place, but he's been injured enough that we don't really know for sure what his 'normal' level will be. We need him to overcome the injuries and be an ever-present so we can find that out. Ideally he ends up being consistently up near his top level. On the flipside, maybe we find that the good periods were the exception and most of the time he's not good enough. Or perhaps the inconsistency that he's had so far is just how he is, and he spends the rest of his time here bouncing around between being great and average and we don't really know what we're going to get.

Formed a solid partnership with De Ligt. We’ve been waiting for that for years. Now we need to form it up front aswell.

Tired of him being overly aggressive on the half way line and being bypassed by a simple pass

He's going to be replaced by Yoro by Christmas and we're going to remember what it's like to have two CBs that can head a ball and run.

He's going to be replaced by Yoro by Christmas and we're going to remember what it's like to have two CBs that can head a ball and run.

Utd fans reacted to the "He's too small for CB in the PL" by willfully ignoring aerial defending. He is in the bottom 1% for aerials won per 90 for CB's. That is not a good thing for a CB. Because of this he has to be exceptional defensively on the ground and this season he keeps rushing in and taking himself out of position, another couple of examples tonight, including their goal when he pushes up way too high, creates a seam for their player to attack.

He was really poor again, he has a lot of limitations and I really don’t see him as a long term option when he is so easily bypassed this often.

Any player can have a bad game. A couple of poor outings doesn't mean that he is poor because he is short. A short player is allowed a dip in form.

Last edited:
Any player can have a bad game. A couple of poor outing doesn't mean that he was poor because he is short. A short player is allowed a dip in form.
He's not poor because he is short. He is poor because he is in terrible form and has been for more than a year with the odd good game.

As I've said before, it's theoretically possible for a super athletic short guy with a great leap to be a top CB (Cannavaro), but Martinez isn't that. He needs to be absolutely perfect in his decision making to make up for his lack of speed, height and jumping reach. And his decision making has been very questionable for a long time.

His thuggery is so annoying, gets himself cheap yellows so he can't make a foul for the rest of the game.

Our fans indulge him in it too, telling everyone he's some sort of hardman and calling him the butcher because he needlessly fouls people.

He’s going to end up at left back doing this inverted thing when Yoro is fit.

He was really poor again, he has a lot of limitations and I really don’t see him as a long term option when he is so easily bypassed this often.

Yeah this opinion feels a bit like kicking a puppy but an awful lot of his reputation is trading off of performances that are coming up for 2 years ago.

I really like him and theoretically really like what he can offer, but we need to see it again ASAP if nothing else besides the fact that he'll have to impress a new manager soon.