2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
It was a stupid and unnecessary challenge, but some of you need to calm down. Talking about internal punishment and taking him out of the team ffs
It's about sending a message. It's about setting the expectations on what's expected as a United player. Needs to have the talk so that he doesn't get the rush of blood again.
The motion was idiotic, but he wasn't close enough to hitting a player for it to be a red. A foul and yellow was the right call.
He had no control of where he landed. A reflex action by the Palace player might have resulted in a career threatening injury. It was a red all day, He had the intent and that's what needs to be penalized.

It's about sending a message. It's about setting the expectations on what's expected as a United player. Needs to have the talk so that he doesn't get the rush of blood again.

He had no control of where he landed. A reflex action by the Palace player might have resulted in a career threatening injury. It was a red all day, He had the intent and that's what needs to be penalized.
You do realize that many of our best ever players were nasty cnuts at times?

It was rash and reckless but he didn’t mean any harm. What saved him was him actually landing on the ball instead of the player’s foot. If the later would have happened then he was off, no questions asked.

He has been living dangerously for a while though and needs to clear his head up. It could have also been frustration for playing well but having nothing to show for it in the end.

A strong word from ETH should be enough in this case.

Genuinely believe he will be phased out next season. He isn't the defender some fans like to believe he is.
I do think a plan may have been to get Branthwaite and have him as an LB. Perhaps still will be that if Yoro and De Ligt form a partnership.

I'm more concerned how he never really intercepts anything from wide crosses/passes inside. He seems to drop too deep and leave attackers with a free shot.
Yep. Let the keeper deal with anything across him. Pick up shooters instead

He’s one of the best 3-5 defenders in the world.
I really like Licha, but he's clearly not. Not even close.

VVD
Ruben Dias
Stones
Rudiger
Militao
Saliba
Gabriel
Bastoni
Marquinhos
Bastoni

That's 10 CBs who are better than him. Even if you don't argue with some, I dare you to exclude 6-8 of them to include Licha in that top 3-5 you say.

But isn’t that the point of the high line? It’s risky but when it pays off it keeps us on the front foot. He and De Ligt did that really well in large parts of the match.

And on the ball those two and Onana they help make us essentially press proof. Palace realized that we were passing around them if they committed and decided to just sit back and wait for us to make mistakes, which we did again and again with little movement up front and silly passes trying to get Hojlund in behind.
We need our defenders to be pushing high at times, for sure, but they need to not get beat high up the pitch. They need to stay on their feet and be careful. They need to be smart.
And that is specially important for a guy like Licha that doesn`t have that top pace that some defenders have as an extra assurance when they do get beat.

I’m also a Martinez fan but yesterday he reminded me of prime Maguire bringing the ball out at walking to stationary pace. Ok the pass may not be on due to lack of movement but he had time to run with the ball several times and chose to stand still, it kills all attacking momentum.
As for that two footed jump, stupid unnecessary action, if he catches the player it’s a straight red.

He’s one of the best 3-5 defenders in the world.

Erm??? No, no he's not.

He's a good CB and better than Maguire, so he deserves his place. De Ligt is better, and I don't fancy him being a nailed on starter when Yoro gets up to speed.

Yeah but only the first two are any good at it.

VVD
Ruben Dias
Stones
Rudiger
Militao
Saliba
Gabriel
Bastoni
Marquinhos
Bastoni

That's 10 CBs who are better than him. Even if you don't argue with some, I dare you to exclude 6-8 of them to include Licha in that top 3-5 you say.

Erm??? No, no he's not.

He's a good CB and better than Maguire, so he deserves his place. De Ligt is better, and I don't fancy him being a nailed on starter when Yoro gets up to speed.
I know he’s not, was just reiterating what was said about him over the Summer and any attempts to debate that on here would meet firm resistance. He’s clearly a good player but not top class. I think he’d be better off in a back 3.

I know he’s not, was just reiterating what was said about him over the Summer and any attempts to debate that on here would meet firm resistance. He’s clearly a good player but not top class. I think he’d be better off in a back 3.
I got it. He's nowhere near.

This forum is a very strange place at times. Martinez was excellent yesterday and looks to be forming a good partnership with de Ligt.

Like anything RedCafe, there's always a small cohort who'll make out our players/managers to be far better than they actually are. Like the nutters who elevated Maguire to hero status (yes, the 80m lad) after a handful of decent games last season.

Martinez is good - played very well the majority of his first season here, but since then, he's either been injured or unable to recapture that early form.

VVD
Ruben Dias
Stones
Rudiger
Militao
Saliba
Gabriel
Bastoni
Marquinhos
Bastoni

Can I exclude Bastoni as you have him in twice

This forum is a very strange place at times. Martinez was excellent yesterday and looks to be forming a good partnership with de Ligt.
Yep

We were crying out for a partnership at CB last season as we never had a good run with anyone.

Long may they both grow together as if they do we will be okay this season.

Pep also has publically put him among the top 5 defenders in the world, but you may want reconsider, having taken in the judgement of an internet rando
He’s clearly not a top 5 defender though, Pep likes to say stuff. Not even remotely close. Not top 5 in PL and probably not even the best defender at the club.

Last edited:
No need for hypotheticals, work with the example we are all talking about

I made that comment on the premise of your statement that it doesn’t matter that he was nowhere near the player and should have seen a red card.

It’s only logical to think then that any stamp on a field of play deserves a red card?

I made that comment on the premise of your statement that it doesn’t matter that he was nowhere near the player and should have seen a red card.

It’s only logical to think then that any stamp on a field of play deserves a red card?
He wasn’t really ‘nowhere near the player’. He was close to a player and if said player moved in his direction, he would have been badly injured. Let’s not pretend they were meters apart, it was inches and Kanada was very lucky to not have been badly injured. It was very intentional too.

Another clean sheet

Some of the comments above “Prefer Maguire “ “ban him internally “ :lol:

Martínez has an interesting profile for a defender. I would say that he is absolutely elite at certain aspects of the game, such as passing out from the back, leadership, reading the play in front of him, and somewhere between average and decent at other aspects of the game. I don’t think he’s the best one on one defender, he’s obviously passable in the air - but not much more than that - and while he is elite in terms of bravery and last ditch interventions, positionally he can be caught out when the play is coming from wide areas or behind him.

Thing is, defending has changed. Those areas where he is decent but not elite, used to be the most important aspect of defending, but that has changed. His aggressive front foot reading of the game and passing range and accuracy, makes him a top level modern defender; but he clearly has weaknesses that can be exploited. But that’s why you have partnerships. I think a lot of what he isn’t the best at, were things that Varane was elite at, and now De Ligt excels at. I see an enormous amount of potential for these two as a duo, and am looking forward to watching them grow as a unit.

It seems people want him to flop. Not understanding the hate he is getting. Sometime I do feel our fans deserve Lindelof and Maguire. Glad Mazraoui has had a great start or he would have been bashed as well

He is starting to have these "moments" in a game where he is completely losing his head. He elbowed Szoboslai quite high, totally unnecessary as he wasn't going anywhere. He jumped into the tackle yesterday, and was lucky that Kamada was not conning enough to buy the red card.

He has these mini fights in games, looking for a tussle with a player, just to show that he is not afraid of anyone. He did it yesterday with Sarr in the middle of the pitch, and wasn't able to get back into his position in time, and lucky for us, Onana pulled that double save. Sometimes, he reminds me of Christian Romero, capable of brilliance, but with the option to have his red minute at times. Might be the Argentinian thing coming out.

He seems to be more focus on finding ways to get into a fight, that is causing him to lose concentration on his primary job, defending. I absolutely loved him from the first season, progressive passes between lines, super focus on defending. Just like his performance v City in the FA Cup final.

However, he is starting to develop this "habit" of doing these type of crazy things in a game, which are impacting his overall performance.

It seems people want him to flop. Not understanding the hate he is getting. Sometime I do feel our fans deserve Lindelof and Maguire. Glad Mazraoui has had a great start or he would have been bashed as well
Give it time...

Give it a game or 2 Maz will get it as well