2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
That photo is the problem in a nutshell, and you could take 50 like that from any one of our games when we're in possession.

The gap between the passer and the receiver is huge. That increases the likelihood that we'll lose the ball and also decreases the likelihood that we win it back quickly before the opposition can launch a counter.

If that's not all damning enough...even if Martinez successfully makes the long pass in that scenario, how does it hurt Porto? They're not worried about it, he's wide and isolated and whilst the ball is travelling 50m, they can engage Rashford and stop him turning / running into space. So it's high risk, low reward.

It really really is frighteningly basic stuff. If it later transpired that EtH was deliberately handicapping us for some reason that would make more sense to me now than whatever it is he's trying to achieve tactically.
The anti Pep
I think Pep's philosophy is small distance passes , so that if there is a miss pass, it cam be easily dealt with

The anti Pep
I think Pep's philosophy is small distance passes , so that if there is a miss pass, it cam be easily dealt with
It is, he outlined that on a MNF episode with Gary Neville.

With short passes, you lose the ball less often and when you do, you have players in position to quickly press the loose balls / man in possession. Remember how Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets, not really your classic "ball winners" used to swarm round opponents like angry hornets? Its not about "effort" or "work rate", its about tactics - being close enough to close quickly and in packs of three of four.

Look again at that photo. Let's be under no illusion, that's what EtH wants, that's what he's asking his players to do. What use is Garnacho 60y away from the ball? What is Rashford meant to do when / if he does receive it? The only players close enough to support him are Hojlund and Eriksen, and they're outnumber 5 -2, include Rashford and we're outnumbered 5-3, even if Martinez makes the 50m pass.

Look at the Porto players setting the trap. Waiting for Martinez to play the only forward pass he can make. There's two Porto players ready to spring into action to cut-out an underhit pass and another waiting to quickly press Rashford. If that pass is cut-out, we suddenly have 5 players completely out of the game in positions they're unlikely to be able to recover from.

Creating overloads doesn't mean having one more player in the opponents half or whatever. It's creating overloads in certain areas where you can exploit opponents with a numerical advantage and quick passing. EtH is somehow managing to create "underloads", always ensuring we somehow have fewer players attacking and fewer players covering than our opponents.

It really really is car crash stuff. I said last season in September he had to go - and I have NEVER before publicly advocated the sacking of ANY Manchester United manager...and it wasn't because of his results and it wasn't because I didn't like him...it was because his football is just...mind-boggling ineffective and stupid

Still hasn’t rediscovered that form he had in his first season here before the injury. He’ll need to find it quick or I could see Yoro taking his spot when he returns from injury. Hopefully we’ve got a manager that can set a team up properly by then.
He was good for Argentina no?

Martinez this season reminds me of Vidic at the start of his debut season. He'll eventually come good again and playing alongside natural left back and more mobile midfield will be a big help.

I should’ve said in a Utd shirt, he’s had good performances here and there but hasn’t done it on a consistent basis for a while. Yes, he has been good for Argentina since then so it might be a case of the current setup at Utd’s making it difficult to shine.
That’s why I’m confident it’s not the injury

This is what I have been talking about. A simple mistake from Lisandro Martinez and suddenly their wingers have open space to drag our CB. This system relies on our CB not misplacing any pass at all. A simple long ball intercepted can punish us!.

Puts a lot of pressure on Rashford as well as his defensive workrate becomes very important here. This tactic does not suit Rashford at all.

Way too easy to defend . All the opposition needs to do is stay compact, defend the 5 attackers and put 2 man ready to pounce for second balls /turn overs .

Because your assessment of what is needed to be a good DM is wrong. He would be a great DM. If there is any position where physical attributes are less important than brain and ability to read games and control tempo, it is defensive midfield. Especially sitting DMs, which is what he would be asked to do.

I've been saying it from time and its starting to show now. He is not a true CB and never has been. Period.
I think you're underestimating the physical demands placed on a DM in most systems let alone ETH's. Look around the top teams in the world, you'll struggle to find a team with Martinez's profile as DM. In fact, I'll challenge you to name one.

This is what I have been talking about. A simple mistake from Lisandro Martinez and suddenly their wingers have open space to drag our CB. This system relies on our CB not misplacing any pass at all. A simple long ball intercepted can punish us!.

Puts a lot of pressure on Rashford as well as his defensive workrate becomes very important here. This tactic does not suit Rashford at all.

I think it takes a quite big mistake to screw up this situation. There is no press whatsoever, it’s 2-2 and time to be patient.

When Dalot moves centrally he is often available for a through pass, and think he was in this situation as well.
Martinez had heaps of space and moved left and forward, even crossed the midline with the ball, while DeLigt moved left followed by Maz who dropped. The problem is more when they put us under pressure, then I am not so sure our backline/midfield is good enough in their movements to solve it, and we often lose the ball. Later in this situation DeLigt lost the ball when put under pressure.