View full 2024-25 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Man Utd 2:1 Brentford New
I didn't see the match but how did he do at full back? Knowing we have problems there it would be good to know he could do a decent job at left back.

I didn't see the match but how did he do at full back? Knowing we have problems there it would be good to know he could do a decent job at left back.
Imagine Blind playing there, his role is similar to that. More like a third midfielder or center back playing on the inside left. I think he’ll give Ten Hag thoughts about going to s back 3 if he keeps it up.

Imagine Blind playing there, his role is similar to that. More like a third midfielder or center back playing on the inside left. I think he’ll give Ten Hag thoughts about going to s back 3 if he keeps it up.

Dalot does the same when he plays leftback this season, as did Amrabat last season. So no special changes

Very solid game out of position. Hope he can put a few games like that together and work his way out of his generally slightly ropey recent form.

Maybe his best game of the season, definitely better than his last couple of games.

Dalot does the same when he plays leftback this season, as did Amrabat last season. So no special changes
Except him being left footed makes it more natural to him as he doesn’t have to open up his body to make a pass or tackle if he’s under pressure.

Actually thought he really well today, didn’t always offer a lot going forward, but everything else was great.

Having him at left back made us less exposed when we lost the ball. We generally had Lisandro, De Ligt and Evans in rest defence so a lot better than we’ve seen with Dalot inverting and tons of space wide

Until we have a left footed LB fit, Martinez should remain at LB imo.

Except him being left footed makes it more natural to him as he doesn’t have to open up his body to make a pass or tackle if he’s under pressure.

I dont personally like the inverted fullback, but I think it works both ways.

If your goal with an inverted fullback is to clog up the central space even more then naturally wanting to come inside on the right foot suits that. But like you say in the event that you are playing a ball out wide then the left footer is more suited

I think the inverted fullback is a symptom of way too much emphasis on everyone playing in the middle and not enough respect and emphasis on how devastating you can be with good wingplay

Fans have been eager to see him at LB for awhile, purely for balance,and would you know it, he actually did well.

He's fine as a defensive full back to form the 2 or 3 backline when we are in the opponents half. Gives our LW and Bruno/Eriksen the license to be more reckless in attack while having decent cover on the break.

Played really well. Very good ball progression, marked his side well in terms of counters and we looked more balanced generally with him as a fairly cautious LB and Dalot bombing forward on the right.

Line breaking, front foot defending Martinez was back yesterday, had a solid game.
I know a lot of people here are ready to designate him LB of the future, I'm not quite there yet. I didn't see him get isolated or have to defend in space with a wide, fast/tricky player i.e. a proper fullback's job. This is where my concerns with him lie.

Line breaking, front foot defending Martinez was back yesterday, had a solid game.
I know a lot of people here are ready to designate him LB of the future, I'm not quite there yet. I didn't see him get isolated or have to defend in space with a wide, fast/tricky player i.e. a proper fullback's job. This is where my concerns with him lie.
I reckon he'll be caught out against good wingers. I've never rated him as a great 1v1 defender but he's gotten better at it compared to when he first joined us.

I reckon he'll be caught out against good wingers. I've never rated him as a great 1v1 defender but he's gotten better at it compared to when he first joined us.
I was actually surprised Brentford didn't put the outlet winger on his side.

Would like to see him in that position a lot more, think it can help with a few problems in the team.

Just one performance but Martinez looked outstanding at LB. I’d like to see him give it another at the position to evaluate he’s more suited there than at CB, particularly since we’re reasonably well stocked there with Maguire, Evans and hopefully Yoel soon to partner with De Ligt. Maybe it’s a one off and if so, so be it, but if we have the answer at LB, either in back four or LCB in a back 3, oh my.

He doesn’t really offer much going forward but he’s probably a better option than Dalot playing there

I’d place a lot of value on having someone left-footed play LB after seeing Dalot there for an extended period. If that’s Martinez until Shaw comes back, that would be ok considering the options we have at CB.

He might not be the most expansive and attacking LB, but he’s good on the ball and a solid defender. It might be our best option for now.

Played within himself to help the team stay solid but he is much better going forward than he showed today. Liked the no nonsense approach he took at times. Part of the spine we need to stay fit if we are to have a good season.

West Ham 2:1 Man Utd New
Think today was the best he has looked defensively all season. He was so sluggish to start the season in his movement and lacking agility but much more like his old self in the last couple of games.

Had a couple of false dawns already this season as far as getting his old form back, but he is quietly stringing a few solid games together since that Porto mare.