6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
So we knew he was carrying an injury during the transfer window?

And our solution to this problem was to sign ... Evans.

Not sure why, most of our CBs are injury prone after Rio and Vidic. If memory serves me right, Rio and Vidic is the last best CB pairing we had in term of quality and fitness records.

Not sure why, most of our CBs are injury prone after Rio and Vidic. If memory serves me right, Rio and Vidic is the last best CB pairing we had in term of quality and fitness records.

Wouldn't call Martinez injury prone, as it is the same injury. No idea why we pushed him to return, hopefully this new doctor from Arsenal stops us doing this as it seems to have affected a fair few players here over the years.

Oh, they had their fair share of injuries as well. And just in their last years with us.

Wouldn't call Martinez injury prone, as it is the same injury. No idea why we pushed him to return, hopefully this new doctor from Arsenal stops us doing this as it seems to have affected a fair few players here over the years.

This is 3rd season in a row that he is out for 2 to 3 months. This is a lot for a key CB for a club as big as Man Utd. We also have Varane, this is worrying.

Last edited:
That’s the thing about this specific injury. Martinez wasn’t rushed back. He was given more than enough time to rehab fully from the fracture/procedure he went through. It’s just shite luck that he aggravated (or re-injured?) his damaged metatarsal after his first few games back. What a lot of people are refusing to accept here is that injuries are unpredictable. You can do everything right and still end up back at square one, through no fault of anyone involved. I can relate to this because it’s happened to me.
I agree with what you wrote if we talk in general terms, but in this specific case… the player was taken off because of the injury just to start the next game. I understand there were circumstances, but imo we can’t say they did everything the right way and it was shite luck.

Then this is 100% on the club, and more specifically Ten Hag who probably made the call.
We’ve seen that before, Lindelof played many many games on painkillers for his back issues. To some extent that’s how elite sports work I guess, but it’s not long lasting.

Said it in another thread. I heard our medical/sports science departments are considered 'in the dark ages'

Showing many times this season...

So he was rushed back while he wasn't fully fit. Explains why he's been having a stinker this season.

A broken bone is a one-off and happens to a lot of professional athletes. The real mystery is how he was cleared to play when his broken bone wasn't healed.

Nothing to indicate him being rushed back. Why would we?
The fact that he wasn’t fully healed and played on painkillers maybe. Let’s face it our squad isn’t in the greatest shape. Indicates an issue with the medical department.

Let's hope the second operation restores him to the player he formally was because this season he's been looking more like Maguire than the best defender in the league.

The fact that he wasn’t fully healed and played on painkillers maybe. Let’s face it our squad isn’t in the greatest shape. Indicates an issue with the medical department.

The reports clearly say he suffered a recurrence against Arsenal and only then played two matches on painkillers. That indeed was probably due to our injuries and lack of form.

But again, nothing about the summer. Why would we have rushed him back for pre-season in July? We had no idea at the time we'd suffer all those injuries and start the season so badly. It wouldn't make any sense to take risks had we known he was not fully healed.

Nothing to indicate him being rushed back. Why would we?

Because he's our only actual left footed CB and ETH likes a left footed one on the left? Also because he was our best CB last season and we didnt sign a new one this summer. So despite clearly not looking right he wasnt slowly eased back in the team. Also Shaw can play there and did well, but hes also injured. Malacia has played there for the national team in a 3 if im not mistaken, but again injured so even if its something that might be done, those options werent available.

What indicates him being rushed back is that he didnt look ready when he was playing and we werent slowly bringing him back with games off the bench to manage his minutes etc. He was just back and playing, just not playing like we were used to seeing him last season. He looked slower, more hesistant and less likely to engage danger and several times that led to opponents getting shots away that you wouldnt want your CB allowing to happen.

Because he's our only actual left footed CB and ETH likes a left footed one on the left? Also because he was our best CB last season and we didnt sign a new one this summer. So despite clearly not looking right he wasnt slowly eased back in the team. Also Shaw can play there and did well, but hes also injured.

When Martinez came back for pre-season training, Shaw wasn't injured and we didn't know we wouldn't eventually be able to sign a new centerhalf. It would make no sense to take risks with a player who came just came back from surgery if we did not believe he was fully healed.

What indicates him being rushed back is that he didnt look ready when he was playing and we werent slowly bringing him back with games off the bench to manage his minutes etc. He was just back and playing, just not playing like we were used to seeing him last season. He looked slower, more hesistant and less likely to engage danger and several times that led to opponents getting shots away that you wouldnt want your CB allowing to happen.

The idea that was wasn't playing well because he wasn't fit is guesswork. We have other top performers from last season playing like crap, and they have no fitness issues.

Maybe he wasn't playing well because he was feeling his way back and lacked some confidence, in his own body as wel. Maybe he wasn't playing well because everything around him was falling apart. Maybe he just wasn't playing well because sometimes players have a few bad games.

As for easing him back, I'd say he got the perfect easing back route: Pre season. He wasn't out for that long - He was only injured in April. I don't see why after a few weeks of training in July+August as well as a few pre seasons match, we'd need to bring him off the bench at the start of the season.

When Martinez came back for pre-season training, Shaw wasn't injured and we didn't know we wouldn't eventually be able to sign a new centerhalf. It would make no sense to take risks with a player who came just came back from surgery if we did not believe he was fully healed.

The idea that was wasn't playing well because he wasn't fit is guesswork. We have other top performers from last season playing like crap, and they have no fitness issues.

Maybe he wasn't playing well because he was feeling his way back and lacked some confidence, in his own body as wel. Maybe he wasn't playing well because everything around him was falling apart. Maybe he just wasn't playing well because sometimes players have a few bad games.

As for easing him back, I'd say he got the perfect easing back route: Pre season. He wasn't out for that long - He was only injured in April. I don't see why after a few weeks of training in July+August as well as a few pre seasons match, we'd need to bring him off the bench at the start of the season.

Its not that he isnt playing well. Its that he's not playing the style he's known for.

Its like if Keane was playing and sits off players and isnt up for a physical battle. Its not that he's playing well or poorly, its that he doesnt bring to the team what he is normally all about. He would be the first one to try and engage players and try to block the ball because he usually loves to defend and be brave. This season he's been as non-aggressive as Lindelof and Varane

If you dont feel like yourself, are just back from an injury or are using injections to get through a match of course its more likely that you are going to shirk challenges and not be so fearless. Its common sense for anyone who has had some kind of injury and is then doing something physical where it can happen again. And thats why you should be careful and ease into it.

If you dont feel like yourself, are just back from an injury or are using injections to get through a match of course its more likely that you are going to shirk challenges and not be so fearless. Its common sense for anyone who has had some kind of injury and is then doing something physical where it can happen again. And thats why you should be careful and ease into it.

Again, there's absolutely no indication that he needed injections or anything like that.

Unless we know of some physical problem he had, I'd say that he simply needed games. Which is what he got.

He wasn't going to regain confidence by sitting on the bench or playing ten minutes here and there.

Again, there's absolutely no indication that he needed injections or anything like that.

Unless we know of some physical problem he had, I'd say that he simply needed games. Which is what he got.

He wasn't going to regain confidence by sitting on the bench or playing ten minutes here and there.

Minutes not games when you're playing poorly and unlike yourself. Bring him on when we're winning with players who are physically and match fit. You put pressure and responsibility on players as soon as they are cleared to play after injury without easing them in and expect the result we got.

Minutes not games when you're playing poorly and unlike yourself. Bring him on when we're winning with players who are physically and match fit. You put pressure and responsibility on players as soon as they are cleared to play after injury without easing them in and expect the result we got.

But he was eased in. He had weeks of pre season training and them some pre season games. He didn't train for three days and then started the first match of the PL season.

Had he returned during the season, there would have been merit to your claim.

But he was eased in. He had weeks of pre season training and them some pre season games. He didn't train for three days and then started the first match of the PL season.

Had he returned during the season, there would have been merit to your claim.

Games not minutes. You're ignoring this

It's no coincidence the club is amassing injury's use some critical thinking United played some of the most games in Europe last season, factor in some players played in the world cup even more games for the annual period, season finished and some are back earlier because pre season schedule and locality (rigorous travelling) which resulted in very minimal rest for the players then the season begins and a multitude of players have muscle related injuries. Contusions and strains is always the result of not enough rest.

The 2023 campaign was a disaster before the league even began due to how the club have planned, something we can't blame the manager for but his useless superiors.

Do we have any concrete evidence that he was rushed back? Or we play him even thought he was injured?

Unless we believe that all the medical people in the club as big as Man Utd are all morons. These players have first class medical services available for them.

I think the medical professionals made certain calls at the time after discussion with him and the club. It's part and parcel of the game. There are many players and not just Man Utd players that played through niggling injuries.

We have to accept that some are more injury prone, some bad lucks and some freak like Bruno (touch wood) who never get injured.

Do we have any concrete evidence that he was rushed back? Or we play him even thought he was injured?

I think the medical professionals made certain calls at the time after discussion with him and the club. It's part and parcel of the game. There are many players and not just Man Utd players that played through niggling injuries.

Your first statement has no meaning if you are gonna argue your second statement. There is no discussion to be had because the decisions taken by the club are always right at that moment. So Ole was spot on playing Rashford through his injuries.

Games not minutes. You're ignoring this

Yes I am. Because it's pre season matches and not exactly full-on Premier League matches. And even then, his first three games were actually 45-minute runs. He was eased back in.

Look, he had a recurrence of the injury and it's absolutely crap. But it happens. The idea that us fans know how to bring a player back from injury better than the club - and the manager who knew him before either of them got to United - it a little funny.

Our medical team is useless. Must get the most injury’s out of every team.

Our medical team is useless. Must get the most injury’s out of every team.
Don't understand this statement. The medical team deal with injuries and rehabilitation, are you suggesting they're injuring players so they have something to do? Or that they're useless because they couldn't foresee injuries that haven't happened yet and warned the manager the player shouldn't play in the upcoming game?

Don't understand this statement. The medical team deal with injuries and rehabilitation, are you suggesting they're injuring players so they have something to do? Or that they're useless because they couldn't foresee injuries that haven't happened yet and warned the manager the player shouldn't play in the upcoming game?
Useless because there always long term injuries :lol:

Yes I am. Because it's pre season matches and not exactly full-on Premier League matches. And even then, his first three games were actually 45-minute runs. He was eased back in.

Look, he had a recurrence of the injury and it's absolutely crap. But it happens. The idea that us fans know how to bring a player back from injury better than the club - and the manager who knew him before either of them got to United - it a little funny.

Maybe for you. I have to do athletic things and come back from injury myself.

Lisandro was straight in the deep end starting our premier league matches. As soon as it was clear that he was hampered he should have been taken out. Before knowing that he was injured I was already starting to think that due to Lindelof and Varane starting the season better than him and him playing poorly, being one of our worst performing players. Now we know that he wasnt even fit for his last 2 games (and the rest of the Arsenal game) after playing 4 before that and not very well.

"but but but ETH has never rushed his players back unlike the clueless ole" Said some people here :lol::lol::lol:

that aside 6 games and 3 yellows is just too much, at this rate he might ended up with 15 yellows at the end of season so maybe it's the best for him to rest for a while.

Lisandro was straight in the deep end starting our premier league matches. As soon as it was clear that he was hampered he should have been taken out. Before knowing that he was injured I was already starting to think that due to Lindelof and Varane starting the season better than him and him playing poorly, being one of our worst performing players. Now we know that he wasnt even fit for his last 2 games (and the rest of the Arsenal game) after playing 4 before that and not very well.

First of all, again, he was not straight into the deep end of the PL because he had a big training block and plenty of pre season matches.

Tons of players who came back from injuries far worse and were out for far longer came back with much less preperation.

As for him being hampered in the first few games and needing to be taken out, we've no idea what the staff and Martinez himself thought. He already had enough training and pre season games, so more of that was not going to help him. Nor was he going to improve by coming on for 20 minutes in games (which is also harder to plan for a CB, as you do not want to disrupt your backline). if the thinking was that he simply needed to play those games in order to regain his confidence or timing or whatever, that seems fine by me.

Rooney came back from a broken metatarsal, made his debut for us and bagged a hat trick.

It's no coincidence the club is amassing injury's use some critical thinking United played some of the most games in Europe last season, factor in some players played in the world cup even more games for the annual period, season finished and some are back earlier because pre season schedule and locality (rigorous travelling) which resulted in very minimal rest for the players then the season begins and a multitude of players have muscle related injuries. Contusions and strains is always the result of not enough rest.

The 2023 campaign was a disaster before the league even began due to how the club have planned, something we can't blame the manager for but his useless superiors.
Really sensible post. Wish there is more objectivity like this on the board.

First of all, again, he was not straight into the deep end of the PL because he had a big training block and plenty of pre season matches.

Tons of players who came back from injuries far worse and were out for far longer came back with much less preperation.

As for him being hampered in the first few games and needing to be taken out, we've no idea what the staff and Martinez himself thought. He already had enough training and pre season games, so more of that was not going to help him. Nor was he going to improve by coming on for 20 minutes in games (which is also harder to plan for a CB, as you do not want to disrupt your backline). if the thinking was that he simply needed to play those games in order to regain his confidence or timing or whatever, that seems fine by me.

Rooney came back from a broken metatarsal, made his debut for us and bagged a hat trick.

Rooney also is notorious for taking ages to get going again after injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.