6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably wasn't completely healed - which to be honest, is really irresponsible from the club.
Especially considering Argentina took one look at him as asked him not to play

He still travelled and trained with them when he should've probably stayed back resting.

Probably wasn't completely healed - which to be honest, is really irresponsible from the club.
Especially considering Argentina took one look at him as asked him not to play

I don't think it's that simple. Sometimes these things aren't clear, no matter how many x-rays and scans you do. Then the only option might be some kind of exploratory surgery, but you'd always want that to be the last option.

It seems like there's obviously been some kind of complication and the foot hasn't healed as well as they'd have liked. This happens, the human body isn't a machine. They've tried to monitor it with the player but they're probably relying on his feedback more than anything. Players want to play, for better or worse, and Martinez was unlikely to want to take 2/3 months off from playing.

They've tried it one way to see if it'll improve, but that obviously hasn't happened and now he's going to have to miss football and let it heal in its own time. They haven't mentioned surgery I don't think, but we can't rule that out either, if there's no improvement in the next few weeks.

It's just very unfortunate.

ETH playing injured players. It's like everything people critisied Ole for doing he does as well.

I think the problem just lies at a higher level. Player welfare isn't a concern at the club, and nobody at the club is willing to "manage" the manager.

I don't think it's that simple. Sometimes these things aren't clear, no matter how many x-rays and scans you do. Then the only option might be some kind of exploratory surgery, but you'd always want that to be the last option.

It seems like there's obviously been some kind of complication and the foot hasn't healed as well as they'd have liked. This happens, the human body isn't a machine. They've tried to monitor it with the player but they're probably relying on his feedback more than anything. Players want to play, for better or worse, and Martinez was unlikely to want to take 2/3 months off from playing.

They've tried it one way to see if it'll improve, but that obviously hasn't happened and now he's going to have to miss football and let it heal in its own time. They haven't mentioned surgery I don't think, but we can't rule that out either, if there's no improvement in the next few weeks.

It's just very unfortunate.
Fair enough, but let's not forget that Lisandro had to miss a game or 2 even after his return, which suggests (to me at least) things were obviously not completely sorted.

On top of that, he reported for international duty but Argentina thought he wasn't fit to play (As we know South Americans tend to be very patriotic when it comes to their national teams, and Licha would have wanted to).
It's hard to believe it was hidden knowledge that he hadn't fully healed

Not everything has to be turning into another reason to criticise the club.

We hear all the time about players playing through small injuries and niggles, Martinez being a determined/strong character probably thought he could play with a little pain.

If he now needs a period of rest then so be it. Get well soon Licha!

He hasn't been right since his return.
Just give him all the time he needs to heal.
Luckily, we still have Maguire, Lindelof, McTominay, Amrabat and maybe even Casemiro who can all play alongside Varane.

I think the problem just lies at a higher level. Player welfare isn't a concern at the club, and nobody at the club is willing to "manage" the manager.
The manager has a medical dept to advise him. Unless you are aware of EtH going against advice?

We have a new club Doctor now as of last week....

ETH playing injured players. It's like everything people critisied Ole for doing he does as well.

Not really criticising Ole but rightly criticising the club medical department. The manager is going to ask them if a player is OK to play and they're obviously saying yes when they shouldn't be. Every season it's the same and has been for years, niggling little injuries keeping players out for weeks and months. Hopefully Martinez is allowed to properly rest now because he hasn't been right and we need him at his best.

Unfortunate, as he is an important player for us.This is only his 2nd season with us, both impacted by injury, hopefully just bad luck and not a sign of what to expect every season.

Might never recover I fear. Certainly not to the level of before.

From a metatarsal break? My gran recovered from one at 83. I think he’ll be fine, clearly just rushed back and overplayed.

From a metatarsal break? My gran recovered from one at 83. I think he’ll be fine, clearly just rushed back and overplayed.
Simple metatarsal is one thing, if it's a Jones fracture then it's a much worse prognosis. Happens in the NFL and takes much longer to return.

Both our first choice CBs - Varane and Martinez are injury prone. Also, our first choice LB - Shaw is made of glass. That 3/4 of our entire backline. Even our 2nd string CB Lindelof is injury prone. WTF is going on.

Dalot is the only defender can stay healthy. Maguire and Evan are emergency covers.

It will be a roller coaster season especially our attacks are also shit.

Both our first choice CBs - Varane and Martinez are injury prone. Also, our first choice LB - Shaw is made of glass. That 3/4 of our entire backline. Even our 2nd string CB Lindelof is injury prone. WTF is going on.

Dalot is the only defender can stay healthy. Maguire and Evan are emergency covers.

Martinez is injury prone now?

Breaking your foot is hardly injury prone mate. Considering it's the same injury and not muscular, I;m sure it can be managed to full fitness.

Varane on the other hand is injury prone.

So he was injured vs Arsenal and the he was allowed to play against Brighton and Bayern, thus aggravating his injury.
And the club has the audacity to use words like "He bravely played another 2 games". He shouldn't have. That is just stupid.

Contrary to what some on here argue he was an outstanding defender for us last season, easily up there with Casemiro, Rashford and Bruno as one of our best players, and I just assumed that he was playing with an injury this season because he really wasn't looking his best. Horrible news but it does explain a lot.

Contrary to what some on here argue he was an outstanding defender for us last season, easily up there with Casemiro, Rashford and Bruno as one of our best players, and I just assumed that he was playing with an injury this season because he really wasn't looking his best. Horrible news but it does explain a lot.

I thought he was our best player last season.
Obviously Radford got the awards but Licha was more consistent.

If you watch him live, when he's competing for a header he gives his opponent a little push to gain an advantage.

Top 4 would be a good season with all our injuries.

I'm hoping we'll be better in an attacking sense when we've Antony, Mount and Højlund all back and fit.

Whatever tactical plan ETH worked on in preseason requires those 3 fit.

Breaking your foot is hardly injury prone mate. Considering it's the same injury and not muscular, I;m sure it can be managed to full fitness.

Varane on the other hand is injury prone.

Well, he was out for almost 3-4 months last season and this season is going to be the same. Prior to joining Man Utd he was also out injured about 2 to 3 months that season, if I'm not wrong.

We can't have our most important CB out for a few months every season. Next year we must sign another top CB to cover for both Varane and Martinez.

How was he allowed to play after the Arsenal game if he had reported an injury setback and needed rest? I wonder who's fault is this? Medical staff? ETH?

Such a shame, center back has become a priority as soon as possible(January). But I suspect we won't have the money in January to bring anyone with Glazers still around.

I also wonder if Lisandro has just become injury prone and may never return to the pre-injury level, form again...

If it’s anybody’s fault it could be both medical team, Martinez, and ETH who have made the wrong decisions. But agree, to me it felt really wrong to play a player that you just took off the pitch because of pain in an old injury.

We have had injury prone CBs like Bailly, Jones and now Varane. But both Maguire and Lindelof have stayed very fit and it’s too early to judge Martinez as it seem to be the same injury. Although he was also out for some time the season before in Holland.

Last edited:
This season can just feck off, big cnuting bellend of a season so far. We'll probably go on an identical pre-season next season too. cnuts.

The way he went off against Arsenal with no physio checking him out. It was clear they knew full well during that game he had a problem.

They've been playing him injured all season. It's total madness.

Potentially good news in the mid term. He hasn’t looked like the little bugger we had last season (moments in the Bayern game aside).

It looked like we had lost him.

We have a chance to get the REAL Martinez back after a few months.

Last edited:
I hope the talk of him playing on for extra games whilst feeling the injury aren't right. That's Ole/Rashford territory and reflects horrendously on the manager.

Better he takes the requisite time to get back as best as he feels than rush and have recurrence.

If this was a regular thing like with Ole (Rashford and Martial) then this would be a fair assumption but (unfortunately) we actually have a lot of past experience to draw some reasonable conclusions regarding fitness under ETH. Loads of players have had to prove their fitness and match sharpness time and time again, sitting out games or being 'slowly' introduced back to the first team; Martinez even experienced this himself post world cup where he had to sit out a few games.

The most likely reason of this scenario is the warrior mentality Martinez has, on wanting to play AND the fact we had no one else other then Evans, Maguire and Lindelof to rely on.

Please let this not be an omen of the evil spell that bedeviled the football career of Phil Jones, who was quite a decent footballer before he was felled by sorcery.

If this was a regular thing like with Ole (Rashford and Martial) then this would be a fair assumption but (unfortunately) we actually have a lot of past experience to draw some reasonable conclusions regarding fitness under ETH. Loads of players have had to prove their fitness and match sharpness time and time again, sitting out games or being 'slowly' introduced back to the first team; Martinez even experienced this himself post world cup where he had to sit out a few games.

The most likely reason of this scenario is the warrior mentality Martinez has, on wanting to play AND the fact we had no one else other then Evans, Maguire and Lindelof to rely on.
Fair comment on the fitness aspect. Players should nearly always be ignored when it comes to their excitable fitness declarations, however.

Fair comment on the fitness aspect. Players should nearly always be ignored when it comes to their excitable fitness declarations, however.

So should managers. Until they start paying players wages and transfer fees, the asset belongs to the club and not them.

Under the right structure, the reporting line from the physios/club doctor should be straight to the DOF - who should be able to make players unavailable for the clubs own long term benefit.

No, more just a complicated surgery and complicated return that you can't really tell until it's tested
No it's a very complex injury, unfortunate these things happen.
So if it is the more complex injury, it isn’t something that we’d be expecting United’s medical team to pick up originally? We had to wait until he re-injured it before working it out?

Of course we don’t actually have any idea if it is this.

Status
Not open for further replies.