6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a bone break right? You don't tend to 'aggrevate' those once they're healed, unlike tendons or muscular issues.

In theory if he's all better, he realyl should be. Thankfully.

Like Onana will transform us. Or Amrabat. Or Casemiro when he's partnered with Amrabat etc etc

Ain't no centre-back and left back transforming us. Our front players look like they've never played together, Martinez and Shaw aren't changing that.
Whereas last season we were the 3rd best team in the league. I wonder why we've regressed this season. It's almost as if our most important players have been injured for the majority of the season.

Whereas last season we were the 3rd best team in the league. I wonder why we've regressed this season. It's almost as if our most important players have been injured for the majority of the season.
Almost, if it were true. Rashford and Bruno have been available all season, Casemiro only injured recently. Varane has been as absent this season as he was last. Every team has injuries.

It is funny that when we finished second and third under Ole and the captaincy of Harry the consensus was has that we were not the second and third best team respectively in the country but that we got lucky that the others had injuries or were simply out of form.....bizarre really :wenger:

It'll help us move the ball through the lines. We will create more and hopefully score more.
Think it would massively help Mount's game too actually, taking the ball on the half turn from a decent pass into him.

Two defenders returning won't transform a dysfunctional team that struggles to score goals
Both of these defenders are very good at passing out from the back, much better than the ones we have now that only pass sideways

Think it would massively help Mount's game too actually, taking the ball on the half turn from a decent pass into him.
Brilliant point, feel like that's something we need to unlock.

Two defenders returning won't transform a dysfunctional team that struggles to score goals
This. Villa have scored 16 more goals than us and haven't had their first choice LCB and LB all season. Newcastle 14 more and play big Dan Burn at LB.

Not that Martinez is even back any time soon.

You don’t get modern day football seemingly
Our attacking players need to hit the target and by that I mean finding the spots in the goal where the GK is not currently standing.
No matter how many balls get threaded through from the back what we are lacking is the cutting edge and composure when it is needed and that is in the attacking third.

Almost, if it were true. Rashford and Bruno have been available all season, Casemiro only injured recently. Varane has been as absent this season as he was last. Every team has injuries.
Every team has had injuries this season, but no one, except for Newcastle, has had an injury list as extensive as ours. Most people gave Liverpool the benefit of the doubt when they had Van Dijk, Matip and Gomez injured for the majority of the 20/21 season, where they lost 6 home games on the bounce and barely scraped top 4. Whereas we have our defensive foundation decimated by injuries and it's a case of 'tough shit'.

Premier league results are not a good way to argue for him being superior. Martinez only played around 60% of the PL minutes last season and looking strictly at results (goals conceded, clean sheets, points), I think we actually did better without him. Seems similar this season where we have won 5 out of 7 games since his injury although it hasn’t looked pretty.

Premier league results are not a good way to argue for him being superior. Martinez only played around 60% of the PL minutes last season and looking strictly at results (goals conceded, clean sheets, points), I think we actually did better without him. Seems similar this season where we have won 5 out of 7 games since his injury although it hasn’t looked pretty.
We beat Burnley, lost to Palace, beat Brentford, beat Sheffield United, lost to City, beat Fulham and beat Luton. So we beat all the promoted clubs + 2 mid table PL teams.

Similarly when you look at it last season he missed 2games mid year (Forest and Wolves) and then the run after his injury was very favourable - we beat Forest (16th), Villa (7th), Wolves (13th), B'Mouth (15th), Chelsea (12th) and Fulham (9th) whilst losing to WHUM (14th), Brighton (6th) and drew with Spurs (8th).

Context is important.

Yeah Martinez was a real weak link last season

My favorite player last season, but he was wank start of this season. Not sure how much playing injured had a part in it, but he seemed hell bent on clattering his man on half way line every game, was a red card in waiting.

We beat Burnley, lost to Palace, beat Brentford, beat Sheffield United, lost to City, beat Fulham and beat Luton. So we beat all the promoted clubs + 2 mid table PL teams.

Similarly when you look at it last season he missed 2games mid year (Forest and Wolves) and then the run after his injury was very favourable - we beat Forest (16th), Villa (7th), Wolves (13th), B'Mouth (15th), Chelsea (12th) and Fulham (9th) whilst losing to WHUM (14th), Brighton (6th) and drew with Spurs (8th).

Context is important.
Exactly. You don't even have to look at stats to acknowledge we're a better team with him in it (when he's fully fit). His last league appearance pre-injury was vs Everton in April, which feels like one of the last games I actually enjoyed watching us play :lol: if we can get the Martinez back that was MOTM vs Barcelona then it would be a huge step towards us being a functioning team again.

My favorite player last season, but he was wank start of this season. Not sure how much playing injured had a part in it, but he seemed hell bent on clattering his man on half way line every game, was a red card in waiting.
Considering he went under the knife for the exact same injury, and was playing with pain killing injections, I'd say it played fulling into his form. He was playing at 40%

classic sign of someone playing with an injury, can't keep up with pace of the game so concede fouls further up the pitch so they aren't exposed further back in defence. Hopefully when he comes back this time he's fully healed.

This. Villa have scored 16 more goals than us and haven't had their first choice LCB and LB all season. Newcastle 14 more and play big Dan Burn at LB.

Didn’t Villa sign Pau Torres as their LCB? Or am I missing something. I think he got injured recently though.

I think you’re actually massively underestimating how important both Shaw and Martinez are in our build up play and also how important it is to have a secure back line as it dictates how many players you are confident throwing into the overloads.

It’s very naive to think that only your forwards are critical to your attacks in 2023.

He will give us some much needed steel/passing at the back. But I have doubts that he will be as good as last season for us.

What’s the relevance?

Also Martinez is back on the grass

We'll finish above both sides so what's your point?

What’s the relevance?

Also Martinez is back on the grass
The idea that a CB is going to transform us is far fetched. Our problem is creating and scoring goals, other sides aren't reliant a ball playing CB for this, only us apparently.

Yeah, but I don’t think Torres was signed to sit on the bench. Not by Emery anyway.
Neither were they sure to drop an England regular. Either way, they've been fine without their first choice defence all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.