Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 133 13.1%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 16 1.6%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 51 5.0%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 53 5.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 62 6.1%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 31 3.1%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 188 18.6%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 23 2.3%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 9 0.9%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 186 18.4%
  • Xavi

Votes: 38 3.8%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 75 7.4%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 65 6.4%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
A manager that can handle the pressure and implement a new progressive tactical philosophy that centers more on ball control.

Xavi don't have the tough skin for the job.
I don’t even want another technocrat because it’s obvious the players need someone to fire them up, and who they want to get behind. We need our own Klopp, someone with a bit of personality.

I’m 99% sure most top level coaches are tactically sound, but success depends on whether you can get everyone pulling in the same direction. I don’t doubt Ten Hag knows his stuff, but for whatever reason it isn’t being translated onto the pitch.

Says a lot that Flick has come in and made them twice the side they were.

Yes it says that Flick is one of the best managers in world football, his honours list as a manager should tell you this. Not because he's won 9/10 games. The year they won the league with Xavi they had a similar record at this point of the season.

There's a real habit of sensationalising managers for such a short window of work. The same thing was happening with Postecoglou at this stage of last season because he had spurs playing so well. Teams adapt as the season goes on and see what the patterns of play are and adapt tactically to mitigate those. The same thing may happen to Barcelona as the season progresses (it also may not) but you can hardly use a 13 game managerial stint as a yardstick for judging how good their predecessor was, it's too small a sample size.

It's just a silly argument to make. Perfect example: Says a lot that Slot has come in and made them twice the side they were since klopp left. (13/14 wins for Slott, 5 wins out of the previous 14 prior to him arriving). Does anyone truly believe that's true?

Xavi turned a struggling barca team prior to his arrival into a title winner against Madrid, that shouldn't be understated, it's a good achievement. I personally don't want him, but Flick's performance as the new man only 13 games into his managerial career shouldn't even be a consideration. It should be an assessment of his managing principles and if they align with our vision for moving forward. If he doesn't tick those boxes, he shouldn't even be considered.

He will definitely be considered though when we change manager. He's available and has won a top 3 league. He will likely be one of the leading candidates.

A loss to West Ham and he has to be gone. Surely the board are looking at his clueless team selection last night. We have Diallo on the bench but we’ll play a RB in AM.
Doubt it ... It should have happened over the summer then the holiday period, but hasn't happened so far. Those were key moments to sack him.

Their decision making has been terrible, but it'll look even worse if they decide to sack after West Ham.

Getting the manager right is more important than signing more £50m+ flops.

If we have to spend £100m hiring and firing managers until we find the right one then so be it. Hell at this point I'm open to failing FFP to get rid of Ten Hag if that's what it takes. A 10 point deduction is less damaging than another 3 months with this buffoon in charge.

If we have to spend £100m hiring and firing managers until we find the right one then so be it. Hell at this point I'm open to failing FFP to get rid of Ten Hag if that's what it takes. A 10 point deduction is less damaging than another 3 months with this buffoon in charge.

Too much emphasis is being made on getting the manager right. Unless they are Pep or Klopp there aren’t many generational managers. Just get the guy that can correctly get the best of the squad you have now and the squad you wish to build.

If they look to be going off target sack them and get someone with the same objectives who can deliver it better. Rinse repeat.

Says a lot that Flick has come in and made them twice the side they were.

Exaclty, shows how bad Xavi actually was.

I know what fans will say... Oh but he won the league title..

We have hired managers who have won league titles at their respective ex clubs. Xavi is a poor coach imo, the players downed tools in his 2nd full season, the pressure got to him, then he said he will step down, changed his mind on that only to end up getting sacked.

I mean if he is losing the dressing room in 2nd full season, he has no hope at United.

Too much emphasis is being made on getting the manager right. Unless they are Pep or Klopp there aren’t many generational managers. Just get the guy that can correctly get the best of the squad you have now and the squad you wish to build.

If they look to be going off target sack them and get someone with the same objectives who can deliver it better. Rinse repeat.
But say that man isn't available?

Liverpool may have found one with Slot but there's very few managers out there and available at the moment that would just walk in and get more from this current situation.

Exaclty, shows how bad Xavi actually was.

I know what fans will say... Oh but he won the league title..

We have hired managers who have won league titles at their respective ex clubs. Xavi is a poor coach imo, the players downed tools in his 2nd full season, the pressure got to him, then he said he will step down, changed his mind on that only to end up getting sacked.

I mean if he is losing the dressing room in 2nd full season, he has no hope at United.

Rumours that his fitness training wasn't good enough either. Flick certainly has them looking in much better shape.

but there's very few managers out there and available at the moment that would just walk in and get more from this current situation.
Seriously? You don't think there are many managers who could get more out of this squad than what ETH is? 12th in the league (with a negative goal difference), 1 win in the last 11 in Europe. A very lucky 8th placed finish last season (all the metrics said we deserved to be about 14th, which agreed with the eye test). You actually think that's the level of our squad of players?

Inzaghi would be my first out of those, by a long way too. Amorim ahead of the german too.
I totally agree, he’s a born winner however he will play 352 or 343 he doesn’t like 4 at the back and my guess is he would want Lautauro and Nicola Barella to come with him.

I think ETH is one defeat away from being sacked and RVN would take it on an interim to the end of the season giving the board time to interview and get the right man but the three listed make sense, in all honesty I’d still go for Conte, he knows the PL and he’s won it plus he’ll be completely ruthless with this squad?

Rumours that his fitness training wasn't good enough either. Flick certainly has them looking in much better shape.

Which is why I am surprised why so many people are lapping this up and getting excited. We need to stop going with names.

The Bayern players looked like they were on PEDS when Flick was managing them.

Goretzka was a machine back then. He looks a lot less bulky now.

I'm sure it would be more likely to happen in the summer.
Forget Nagelsmann and Alonso. They will not be coming, not in the summer either.
Alonso will have his pick between Real, Bayern, and City and he will not endanger his career by taking over United. It's just not going to happen.
Nagelsmann might take over a club again after the WC 2026, but it makes no sense to think or talk about that as we cannot wait that long.

So as I posted earlier, Alonso, Nagelsmann and obviously Tuchel should be taken off the poll as they are spoiling the range of choices and the result. We need to occupy ourselves with realistic choices.

But say that man isn't available?

Liverpool may have found one with Slot but there's very few managers out there and available at the moment that would just walk in and get more from this current situation.
That claim is completely baseless and also completely goes against common sense.

Basically what @FortunaUtd said. Slick possession football with one of the most intense high presses in Europe.

Of course we have the players for it. Onana, Mazraoui, De Ligt and Martinez are all Ajax players and played exactly this style at Ajax. I also see no obvious reason why Dalot or Mainoo can't play it either - both certainly have the technical quality for it. Obviously Shaw is also a good fit stylistically but he's never fit. The club are going to sign a new left back anyway so not a big deal.

Eriksen also obviously has the technical quality for it but doesn't have the legs. At any rate, I expect Eriksen and Casemiro are high on the clubs replace list. Ugarte also I'd never seen play till he came to United and he's barely played for United so far, but I don't know enough about him to comment. Enrique obviously deemed him a bad fit for his style but Ruben Amorim absolutely adores him, so he's one-for-two on whether 'modern/progressive' managers rate him. We'll see about him. At any rate, I think the club need to sign a ball playing #6 anyway so this issue can be solved in the market. We might as well continue the signing managers ex-players trend and get him Angelo Stiller from Stuttgart, can't cost that much.

Further forward, I see no obvious reason Amad doesn't have the technical quality to play in a possession side. Hojlund came to United from Atalanta who also play this high pace, high intensity, high possession, high pressing style and while I can't claim to have seen much of him at Atalanta (and his first touch is definitely a bit suspect), he's thrived in such a system before. Zirkzee has struggled at United so far, but he's come here from Bologna who under Thiago Motta played an even more insane small space combinative style of play than Stuttgart, had the highest average possession in Serie A and also were among the most intense pressing teams in the league. You can deem him not good enough for the league but stylistically, he's a good fit.

Which leaves Garnacho, Bruno and Rashford - the three I think are the reason most people have decided we have to play counterattacking. I personally don't buy this argument that they can't thrive in a possession system. It's not like your entire starting XI needs to be Xavi or Iniesta for you to play 'modern' football. I think as long as you can get the ball to Bruno high up the pitch, he will thrive in this system and his risk taking is not a big deal. It seems like a big deal now because we don't move the ball up the pitch well enough so he often receives the ball quite deep. His touches in the defensive third are a lot higher under Ten Hag than they were under Ole, and touches in the attacking third are fewer than under Ole. He's also touching it in the penalty box less than before.

Similar for Rashford. I think if we could consistently get the ball in the final third so that his touches deeper were reduced, if we can consistently get him into shooting positions, I think he's still a top player. He's also touching the ball in deeper areas a lot more than before -

Garnacho is still young and has much to develop in his game. But having a player of his pace and carrying ability surely can't be a negative. On a side note, Mount also came to United having thrived in a possession side under Tuchel, but he's never fit so might as well not be in the squad.

I think our path to being a high press - high possession team is a lot shorter than we care to admit. And it's certainly shorter than trying to become a counterattacking or transition team. I do have question marks about our players defensively/physically, especially in midfield where I don't think either of Bruno or Mainoo are great players off the ball. But between academy players stepping up and the new signings, we can turn into a 'modern' team quite easily, I think.

I think you're being sarcastic but whenever an exciting young manager gets mentioned as a potential choice for United, lots of United fans do seem to have exactly this attitude. That everyone was also giving the same praise to Ten Hag at Ajax. Which is true, and the praise was absolutely well deserved. He just hasn't been able to translate that work to United. Which is fine. Potter did great work at Brighton but struggled at Chelsea. Imagine if Chelsea took the same tack. Potter and Poch did great with lesser sides, but failed at Chelsea. Therefore, any manager who is of the same stock of manager (impressive style of play at a lesser club) is also bound to fail. Just because it didn't work with one guy doesn't mean it will never work. Just because Ten Hag has been unsuccessful, doesn't automatically mean that Hoeness/Amorim/Iraolo etc. are write-offs. Even little things like communication skills, clarity and consistency in approach, just being a better fit personality wise with the squad etc. can make a massive difference in the team's development.

Addressed above but Stuttgart didn't have the players doing this either. They were literally bottom of the Bundesliga with 7 games to go when Hoeness took over. They weren't a side on the cusp of greatness. They survived, signed Stiller, Mittelstadt (again if we're looking for a new left back), Undav and Guirassy (who has since left), and transformed completely. Players like Ito (gone to Bayern) and Anton (gone to Dortmund) were languishing at the bottom of the Bundesliga, having finished 15th the year before, and with a change of manager, magically turned into one of the most exciting teams in Germany.

A change of manager can have a massive impact. I don't know why so many United fans insist on being so miserable about the future. It might be shit (and based on the past 10 years, may even be likely to be shit), but it could also be a lot better. Cheer up.

This is one of the best posts I’ve read on this forum. Top top stuff. People who say “the players are to blame” PLEASE read this post.

Fact is we have not improved at all in the past 18 months. Our football and result is still very poor, there is zero progress, even with new players. He also changed his staff, still no improvement. So how many more excuses does Ineos accept? The year is almost over and we look so far off. I truly wonder why they are so hesitant to make the change

I totally agree, he’s a born winner however he will play 352 or 343 he doesn’t like 4 at the back and my guess is he would want Lautauro and Nicola Barella to come with him.

I think ETH is one defeat away from being sacked and RVN would take it on an interim to the end of the season giving the board time to interview and get the right man but the three listed make sense, in all honesty I’d still go for Conte, he knows the PL and he’s won it plus he’ll be completely ruthless with this squad?
Conte is at Napoli...

I don't understand what we are waiting for to replace, don't give me this rubbish of "who out there is better?", it's almost proven that he is way out of his depth and has been let off by a one off win against city which can happen in a final.

Just bring ole back as caretaker, or ruud, it really can not be any worse than what we are seeing, the bar is that low for a caretaker replacement if ineos don't deem anyone worthy of replacing him on a full time basis.

Fact is we have not improved at all in the past 18 months. Our football and result is still very poor, there is zero progress, even with new players. He also changed his staff, still no improvement. So how many more excuses does Ineos accept? The year is almost over and we look so far off. I truly wonder why they are so hesitant to make the change
Oh we have been less shiit for sure, but we are still shiit most of the time. We aren‘t conceding 20+ shots anymore.

Aren't you describing the same thing?

Last edited:
I work with a Liverpool supporting fecker.
Every morning he says 'you should give him more time...'.

feck him and you who agree with him.

I like. An outsider like Hoeness could be interesting too. If only we acted quicker we could have poached someone like Flick.

The year is soon over and we showed zero, absolutely no progress. Shocking ETH is still here
None of you wanted Flick.

I work with a Liverpool supporting fecker.
Every morning he says 'you should give him more time...'.

feck him and you who agree with him.
Same with my best mate, he’s a Gooner.

“Such a good point for Ten Hag, the players are letting him down. Utd need to give him more time”.

We are a joke.

Can someone answer a question for me?

If ETH were available today, which PL would sign him up forthwith?

I think the opposite, the Ineos model renders the head coach a lot less important. If recruitment is generally good, you can have an ok coach and do fine. There’s sometimes a bit of an embarrassing sentiment in here about how literally anyone is better than ETH ( I think the poster was not trolling about Benitez amazingly) but all these guys across the top leagues are bloody good coaches with loads of experience. We need to find the one that’s right for us, importantly for our personalities in the dressing room, but player recruitment is so much more important than the coach in my opinion.

Yes it says that Flick is one of the best managers in world football, his honours list as a manager should tell you this. Not because he's won 9/10 games. The year they won the league with Xavi they had a similar record at this point of the season.

There's a real habit of sensationalising managers for such a short window of work. The same thing was happening with Postecoglou at this stage of last season because he had spurs playing so well. Teams adapt as the season goes on and see what the patterns of play are and adapt tactically to mitigate those. The same thing may happen to Barcelona as the season progresses (it also may not) but you can hardly use a 13 game managerial stint as a yardstick for judging how good their predecessor was, it's too small a sample size.

It's just a silly argument to make. Perfect example: Says a lot that Slot has come in and made them twice the side they were since klopp left. (13/14 wins for Slott, 5 wins out of the previous 14 prior to him arriving). Does anyone truly believe that's true?

Xavi turned a struggling barca team prior to his arrival into a title winner against Madrid, that shouldn't be understated, it's a good achievement. I personally don't want him, but Flick's performance as the new man only 13 games into his managerial career shouldn't even be a consideration. It should be an assessment of his managing principles and if they align with our vision for moving forward. If he doesn't tick those boxes, he shouldn't even be considered.

He will definitely be considered though when we change manager. He's available and has won a top 3 league. He will likely be one of the leading candidates.

If Barca lose the Clasico coming up it could easily create a downward spiral. We’ve seen that with lots of teams after good starts.

Would be so disappointed if the club did consider the likes of Terzic, who is even worse than ETH at tactics. Xavi and Frank are so uninspiring.

Amorim is the biggest boom or bust option.

Inzaghi is the most proven and likely to succeed.

Hoeneß would be the most exciting.

I'd like to see Xavi or another former Barca coach come in. I'd much prefer us to play a more Guardiola tika-taka style. I honestly can't tell what the current style of play is. Ten Hag has been a huge disappointment.