Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 133 13.1%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 16 1.6%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 51 5.0%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 53 5.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 62 6.1%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 31 3.1%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 188 18.6%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 23 2.3%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 9 0.9%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 186 18.4%
  • Xavi

Votes: 38 3.8%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 75 7.4%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 65 6.4%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
I changed my ‘vote’ to Hoeneß. Some concerns here there are parallels with Ten Hag coming in, but it is a different situation.
Luckily for us both already worked at the same team so we can directly compare them in the same setup. EtH failed to get Bayern II promoted to the Third League, Hoeneß won the Third League with them. Small but encouraging dataset.

Luckily for us both already worked at the same team so we can directly compare them in the same setup. EtH failed to get Bayern II promoted to the Third League, Hoeneß won the Third League with them. Small but encouraging dataset.
That‘s not so relevant. Every manager is a bit of a gamble, but his profile seems to be a good fit.

It's going to be Xavi. I was surprised that not more noise was made of this given that Berrarda is our CEO. When he came in, that was my initial thought. If you've been in a club with a Pep led team for years, you would be attracted to similar patterns of play and have closer ties with Spanish managers.

I'd be shocked if Xavi was going to be our next manager. I think there are like 10 names at least that are more likely than him.

I'd be shocked if Xavi was going to be our next manager. I think there are like 10 names at least that are more likely than him.

I'd personally take Valverde. I think Barcelona at the time didn't like that he moved them away from a more tika taka style, but his style was clearly effective resulting in consistent results and decent performances. These may not have been to the style Barcelona wanted, but I think it would fit us.

I'd take a look at Xavi as well. Winning La Liga is never easy. A coach winning that type of league has to have employed a type of play that allows for consistent results. There has to be an attention to detail and sense of urgency, things which our current manager lacks. The worry with him for me is that managers who have that possession heavy approach like him, tend to be glued to that system, and are not as adaptable. This may not be the case for him, but its a concern given what we had to go through with LVG

In terms of managers, I'll always favour managers who have been successfully able to employ a pattern of play in England, Italy or Spain. I trust the quality and intensity of these leagues, and over time, I think the difference in quality between these leagues and the rest are ever increasing. As a top club with the finances we have, I think we can afford to have this type of filter, as even though managers like Slot may exist, the risk of not being able to acclamatize to a top league is greater than people may think. This is why I'm slightly skeptical of both Amorim and Xabi Alonso. It would be great to have either, but I don't think we are in a place where we can afford to take that kind of risk. These days its becoming clear that the distance in standard to the leagues in Italy, England or Spain is equivalent to the jump from being Burnley in the Championship to Burnley in the Premier League. This is why primarily why I'd favor Valverde or Xavi.

Part of me would enjoy the Xaxi appointment based on absolutely nothing but the surrealism of watching one of my favourite ever players (of another club no less) sitting in our dugout.

Though I'm not sure its the best possible appointment we could make. Would still have him over Ten Hag though.

Part of me would enjoy the Xaxi appointment based on absolutely nothing but the surrealism of watching one of my favourite ever players (of another club no less) sitting in our dugout.

Though I'm not sure its the best possible appointment we could make. Would still have him over Ten Hag though.

I think most people who want Xavi is for that reason, the name over what he is like a coach.

I dont think he is a good option for us at all, Ten Hag beat him in his first season, in both games we looked better than them.

Some people will respond back saying: "but Ten Hag beat Pep" Yes it is true on surface level but if anyone watched the games, V Barca and V City... you will know the difference.

Xavi done well to win them the league but our fans are very hypocritical, they will say "Ten Hag should be sacked because of his European record", then say we should hire Xavi... well look at his European record for Barca?
The same team now under a different manager is playing really well.

Personally, do not rate Xavi at all as a manager.

Kind of him to take himself out of the running for us :lol: , never once been convinced he belongs at a top 6 club.

Inzaghi would probably be the best outcome for us. He's done a brilliant job at Inter and did well at Lazio too. He's built an Inter team on a shoestring budget that is going toe-to-toe with the best and most expensive teams in Europe, putting them right back on the map at the top table of European clubs. Hopefully there is some substance behind those links, but there are a number of interesting candidates out there if not. Knowing our recent luck (the last decade only, to be fair) we will get the treat of having Ten Lives at the helm for a few more years yet. Hopefully he's planning an early retirement.

I changed my ‘vote’ to Hoeneß. Some concerns here there are parallels with Ten Hag coming in, but it is a different situation.

The rebuild of the squad is close to completion and the club is being reorganized and revitalized.

The playing strategy has been modernized as well with high pressing, playing out the back and attacking in numbers.

Hoeneß doesn‘t have to start from scratch: basically he is a great fit to follow Ten Hag.

Case in point @NLunited - Hoeness directly succeeded Ten Hag at Bayern II and carried on very successfully where Ten Hag left off.

Roberto Mancini has apparently just left the Saudi national side, im not sure he would be a top option though.
He's won the league in Italy 3 times, 1 time in England and he's won the Euros with Italy, not even mentioning numerous cups.
He's more than capable.

I think you're being sarcastic but whenever an exciting young manager gets mentioned as a potential choice for United, lots of United fans do seem to have exactly this attitude. That everyone was also giving the same praise to Ten Hag at Ajax. Which is true, and the praise was absolutely well deserved. He just hasn't been able to translate that work to United. Which is fine. Potter did great work at Brighton but struggled at Chelsea. Imagine if Chelsea took the same tack. Potter and Poch did great with lesser sides, but failed at Chelsea. Therefore, any manager who is of the same stock of manager (impressive style of play at a lesser club) is also bound to fail. Just because it didn't work with one guy doesn't mean it will never work. Just because Ten Hag has been unsuccessful, doesn't automatically mean that Hoeness/Amorim/Iraolo etc. are write-offs. Even little things like communication skills, clarity and consistency in approach, just being a better fit personality wise with the squad etc. can make a massive difference in the team's development.
You are completely wrong, sorry. I wasn't being sarcastic at all, and I don't even understand why would I be in case of Hoeness. I watch Bundesliga someties, and I saw how Hoeness put Stuttgart to a whole new level. He'd been signed to help the team avoiding relegation, succeed, the next season they finished in 2nd place ahead of Bayern Munich with 73 points, the most Stuttgart ever earned in one season. And yes, then unknown players like Mittelstadt, Nübel, Frühlich, Undav, Anton etc. became internationals. I really don't get your point at all.

Roberto Mancini has apparently just left the Saudi national side, im not sure he would be a top option though.
He hasnt managed a club side in the top 5 leagues in almost a decade now, not sure the pressure cooker known as the Premier League would be an attractive proposition for him at this stage of his career.

I take anyone at this point, not ten hag.
So disappointing to watch this game after game .

If I had to choose one of the options being mentioned it would be Inzaghi, but feck knows really.

Just hope they were waiting for.

We can't guarantee trophies. The next manager has to set the foundations of a modern play style. I thought that was the least Ten Hag would be able to do, evidently not.

We don't need a top manager to do this, we just need a competent coach. We don't need Inzaghi or Nagelsmann or Amorim (although the latter two would be great). An Iraola, Hoeness even a Gary O Neil or a Thomas Frank would genuinely improve us right now. When we hit the ceiling with that coach - move on. And keep doing that till we win big trophies. It's really not as complicated as it seems.

We can't guarantee trophies. The next manager has to set the foundations of a modern play style. I thought that was the least Ten Hag would be able to do, evidently not.

We don't need a top manager to do this, we just need a competent coach. We don't need Inzaghi or Nagelsmann or Amorim (although the latter two would be great). An Iraola, Hoeness even a Gary O Neil or a Thomas Frank would genuinely improve us right now. When we hit the ceiling with that coach - move on. And keep doing that till we win big trophies. It's really not as complicated as it seems.

This! Some people are obsessed with getting a new Fergie. That's not always how it works.

You are completely wrong, sorry. I wasn't being sarcastic at all, and I don't even understand why would I be in case of Hoeness. I watch Bundesliga someties, and I saw how Hoeness put Stuttgart to a whole new level. He'd been signed to help the team avoiding relegation, succeed, the next season they finished in 2nd place ahead of Bayern Munich with 73 points, the most Stuttgart ever earned in one season. And yes, then unknown players like Mittelstadt, Nübel, Frühlich, Undav, Anton etc. became internationals. I really don't get your point at all.
I was saying you're being sarcastic by suggesting Hoeness is just like Ten Hag -

Not your fault. Before Hoeness Stuttgart was an almost totally unknown team on international level. Hoeness changed that, some players show serious development, a couple of them became german internationals (Mittelstadt, Lewelling, Frühling, Stiller and Undav i think) they could beat Juventus yesterday and played some brilliant football - i watched the match - so obviously he's doing a fantastic job. Even Bayern Munich contacted him when they were searching for a new manager but he refused them saying that hi hasn't finish his job in Stuttgart. Young, motivated and well and tactically well prepared. Just like ten Hag, innit?

I agree with you that Hoeness has done brilliantly at Stuttgart and would really like for him to be made United manager. Was just saying that some United fans seem to be taking this attitude of "Well, you're praising Stuttgart now, but remember how excited everyone was about Ten Hag's Ajax and look how he's done at United", essentially arguing that because one exciting up and coming manager failed to replicate his style at United, a different exciting up and coming manager will also fail. I was just trying to say that I don't agree with that line of thinking. Not suggesting that it's what you were arguing. As you say, Stuttgart were pretty poor when he took over, literal relegation fodder, and the turnaround he's overseen has been remarkable. He could very easily oversee a similar turnaround at United.

I think that Hoeness is going to take a job at a top club at some point and, with his coaching ability, completely smash it. Might as well be us.

A manager that can handle the pressure and implement a new progressive tactical philosophy that centers more on ball control.

Xavi don't have the tough skin for the job.

Amorim, Nagelsmann or Inzaghi, in that order
I like. An outsider like Hoeness could be interesting too. If only we acted quicker we could have poached someone like Flick.

The year is soon over and we showed zero, absolutely no progress. Shocking ETH is still here

A loss to West Ham and he has to be gone. Surely the board are looking at his clueless team selection last night. We have Diallo on the bench but we’ll play a RB in AM.

Big fan of Inzaghi.

Would take Nagelsmann if available. feck it, at this stage, I'd take Xavi too.

Inzaghi, Amorim, Xavi or Hoeness and I'll be happy. Any of the 4. Some don't understand Xavi has a brilliant tactical mind, he just never had the opportunity to implement it at Barca. I know it's Qatar but the way he set Al Saad up was something else and given a proper project and time he could succeed.

A loss to West Ham and he has to be gone. Surely the board are looking at his clueless team selection last night. We have Diallo on the bench but we’ll play a RB in AM.
He brought on Antony which makes me think there is some issue with Diallo. Otherwise I can‘t make sense of it.

Mazza in 10 is where he played at Ajax sometimes: clearly he wanted to have someone in there adept at pressing and defensive work. I‘d think that Amad could do that as well, if he is fully fit.

Inzaghi, Amorim, Xavi or Hoeness and I'll be happy. Any of the 4. Some don't understand Xavi has a brilliant tactical mind, he just never had the opportunity to implement it at Barca. I know it's Qatar but the way he set Al Saad up was something else and given a proper project and time he could succeed.

He didn't show it at Barca, he did have the chance to implement it.

Alot of people also say Ten hag has a brilliant tactical mind. It worked in Qatar because the quality is so low, when someone half decent comes in, they look better than they are, same as Ten Hag in Holland.

I would run a mile from Xavi, nothing I saw from that Barca team made me think like he is any good.

He didn't show it at Barca, he did have the chance to implement it.

Alot of people also say Ten hag has a brilliant tactical mind. It worked in Qatar because the quality is so low, when someone half decent comes in, they look better than they are, same as Ten Hag in Holland.

I would run a mile from Xavi, nothing I saw from that Barca team made me think like he is any good.
Says a lot that Flick has come in and made them twice the side they were.

I’d take Inzaghi, Nagelsmann, even Diego Simeone at this point. At least we’d look good defensively, and a bit more street smart with the old dark arts. I’m sick of watching us struggle with the most basic of shit.

A loss against West Ham is almost expected now. I think we will pull off a draw after a decent performance and he will be a hero again.