Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 133 13.1%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 16 1.6%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 51 5.0%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 53 5.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 62 6.1%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 31 3.1%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 188 18.6%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 23 2.3%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 9 0.9%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 186 18.4%
  • Xavi

Votes: 38 3.8%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 75 7.4%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 65 6.4%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
10 times?

Prior to Bournemouth Iraola did a solid job at both his previous stints. Had to fact check this but he got promoted with Vallecano from the Segunda to La Liga in his first season, then solidified them with two mid table finishes and a cup semi. Before that he took a newly promoted Mirandes in the Segunda to a cup semi too beating Sevilla etc en route.

Not saying Frank isn’t a good manager, but Iraola is showing a lot of promise for a young manager, and to say Frank has achieved 10x is a farce. Frank took over a well-oiled machine that was already around the playoffs for a couple seasons prior. He did an incredible job getting them promoted no doubting that as it is a very tough thing to do for team without parachute payments, and he’s no made Brentford very stable in this league.

I think Frank needs to have another job under his belt where he has improved the team though, either in the prem or another top European league before he should be considered for a top top job. I’m also not saying Iraola is without risk either, he’d be incredibly risky in fact. It’s more just a damning view of who we would be able to attract right now that Iraola is 3rd on my list.
Tbf, I hadn’t a clue about Iraola and talked out of my a***. I try to use my mouth, but sometimes the rear insists on contributing.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I’d take both of them over the likes of Xavi.

From free managers, Xavi & Graham Potter are the standout names. I don't think we aim for anyone who we want to buy out of their contract atm.

I would take Rafa Benitez. I thought he was employed but it seems not. He was man enough to stay with Newcastle when they went down, and bring them back up. For me that's coaching and not just trying to buy success.

Champions League 1
UEFA Cup 2
La Liga 2
FIFA Club WC 1
Euro Super Cup 1
Italian Super Cup 1
FA Cup 1
EFL Championship 1

Has coached at:_
Valencia, Liverpool, Inter Milan,Chelsea, Napoli, Real Madrid, Newcastel, Everton, Celata Vigo.

Plenty of experience, enough trophies, seems like a sensible fella.

I would take him in a heartbeat.
Are you on cocaine or something?

Xavi isnt terrible, but god his football was boring at Barcelona. He won the league, but off the back of an exceptional defensive record. Going forward they were pretty dull. His team was well drilled, hard to beat and played a clever formation (in his title winning season at least). But he wouldn't be particularly inspiring.

So we believe everything the media says, at least when it's convenient to our own personal takes. So we were turned down by Tuchel, Nagelsmann, Xabi Alonso, some bloke from Stuttgart, etc, etc. We offered the job to any german with a pulse, but none of them were interested in managing the biggest club in the world, makes total sense.

One thing you can say about INEOS, they don't let information out, so all this crap in the media about us offering the job to all these people is total BS. Tuchel whored himself out to every vacant position during the many periods he was without work over the last 3 years, always United too, but when offered the job turned it down, yup, totally buying it, who wouldn't want to manager BS international football over the biggest club in the game?

The idea that none of those managers would want the United job doesn't sound terribly absurd to me, considering the consequences for basically every post-Fergie United manager. Recently, United have given their managers top 4 expectations and upper-mid-tier squads to get it done, with the manager taking 100% of the blame, with all but 1 or 2 whipping boys in the squad and upper management mostly escaping blame. They've demanded tactical and stylistic changes with little to no adjustment in short term expected results. The manager is blamed for literally everything that goes wrong at the club. Squad full of lazy, overpaid, overrated malcontents? Manager's not motivating them well enough. Incompetent upper management is all investment bankers with no football knowledge or a coherent transfer strategy? We'll still blame the manager, because that's who's face is on the telly after we get scored on.

Also, this is going to sound like blasphemy to a lot of people here, but United being the "biggest club" just means they get a lot of media coverage and revenues. All that means to the managers is that more people see it when they inevitably fail (because the rest of the club is a disaster, and you're the easiest person to blame), because recent history suggest the club isn't able to marshal it's advantage in financial resources into building an advantage over other clubs on the pitch. Manager at United is not unlike being head of state/head of government in a lot of countries: you have a little bit of power and control over things, but the masses of slavering, low information idiots think you've got the powers of a God-Emperor, with the ability to alter reality at the snap of a finger. It's more akin to steering a giant cargo ship in a storm with an exceptionally fickle and mutinous crew.

Xavi isnt terrible, but god his football was boring at Barcelona. He won the league, but off the back of an exceptional defensive record. Going forward they were pretty dull. His team was well drilled, hard to beat and played a clever formation (in his title winning season at least). But he wouldn't be particularly inspiring.
Do you see similarities with his style and Arteta?

It's actually a clever plan and I explain why. SAF hated rafa with a passion and he made it obvious in his autobiography. Thus if we go for Rafa now then that might push for SAF to reclaim his job

Ok I am joking but that's the only reason I can think of for united wanting the waiter

It's actually a clever plan and I explain why. SAF hated rafa with a passion and he made it obvious in his autobiography. Thus if we go for Rafa now then that might push for SAF to reclaim his job

Ok I am joking but that's the only reason I can think of for united wanting the waiter

A simple "yes" would have sufficed.

ETH outcoached Xavi in Europa League two years ago. He also outcoached Frank last weekend.

Do you see similarities with his style and Arteta?
Not really. Arteta's team is far more proactive, both in an aggressive press and by using attacking width. Xavi got defensive stability by playing a midfield box, but that sacrificed flair in wide areas.

Not really. Arteta's team is far more proactive, both in an aggressive press and by using attacking width. Xavi got defensive stability by playing a midfield box, but that sacrificed flair in wide areas.
One might say his midfield is a QUADRANT

Danish media are writing, that United has contacted Frank. Please no Xavi. He was a fantastic footballer, but he was not able to get the optimum out of Barca. Flick is doing a much better job at it. He is actually the one, we should have got. For me it is Amorim or Frank, and I prefer Amorim.

...Else just give it to Eriksen. He could run it from the pitch until he finds his replacement. (No worries. I´m not serious here)

feck me, you sure you have enough choices?

82 pages of nitpicking.

Probably every one of these I would prefer to give them a shot rather than keep Ten Hag.

I can see how INEOS fecked up the sacking of Ten Hag last summer. 4 decision makers, each with different ideas.

Danish media are writing, that United has contacted Frank. Please no Xavi. He was a fantastic footballer, but he was not able to get the optimum out of Barca. Flick is doing a much better job at it. He is actually the one, we should have got. For me it is Amorim or Frank, and I prefer Amorim.
I'd much prefer Iraola. Be open to Amorim but really don't want Frank.

So, just for me to be clear here about the general sentiment.

Benitez is a no.

Have I got that right ?

Last edited:
If he can implement that here, that'd be fine for a season or two. Someone who can come in and get the basics drilled into the team then puts us in a good position for the following manager to come in and put on the finishing touches (perhaps as Flick might be doing at Barca?).

The question is whether Xavi can really implement that here or whether it was just that he was at a club where that was already drilled into the players and he wouldn't be able to carry it over to us (which is what we're seeing with ETH).

From free managers, Xavi & Graham Potter are the standout names. I don't think we aim for anyone who we want to buy out of their contract atm.

I’d rather give it to Ruud for the season than either of them on a permanent basis.

No thanks to Xavi. Moaning all the time and sacked from Barca because his training and fitness standards were poor. He plays Barca young players, but that doesn't mean he'd do the same here.

Iraola and Hoeness are, I think, the best options. I'd go for Iraola.

Stuttgarts managers looking like he could be ready for the next step up. Outplayed juventus away last night.

I actually think we would benefit from Simeone

We need to be feared again, hard to beat, make OT a fortress, get rid of the deadwood and have more commitment and ruthlessness from the players

Simeone would be a good option

The idea that none of those managers would want the United job doesn't sound terribly absurd to me, considering the consequences for basically every post-Fergie United manager. Recently, United have given their managers top 4 expectations and upper-mid-tier squads to get it done, with the manager taking 100% of the blame, with all but 1 or 2 whipping boys in the squad and upper management mostly escaping blame. They've demanded tactical and stylistic changes with little to no adjustment in short term expected results. The manager is blamed for literally everything that goes wrong at the club. Squad full of lazy, overpaid, overrated malcontents? Manager's not motivating them well enough. Incompetent upper management is all investment bankers with no football knowledge or a coherent transfer strategy? We'll still blame the manager, because that's who's face is on the telly after we get scored on.

Also, this is going to sound like blasphemy to a lot of people here, but United being the "biggest club" just means they get a lot of media coverage and revenues. All that means to the managers is that more people see it when they inevitably fail (because the rest of the club is a disaster, and you're the easiest person to blame), because recent history suggest the club isn't able to marshal it's advantage in financial resources into building an advantage over other clubs on the pitch. Manager at United is not unlike being head of state/head of government in a lot of countries: you have a little bit of power and control over things, but the masses of slavering, low information idiots think you've got the powers of a God-Emperor, with the ability to alter reality at the snap of a finger. It's more akin to steering a giant cargo ship in a storm with an exceptionally fickle and mutinous crew.
This is absolutely bang on. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I believe United is seen as a poison chalice by a lot of managers now. If it wasn't hard enough post Fergie simply because of what he achieved, it's now completely unappealing due to the expectations of a board of directors.

As much as it pains me to say it, United aren't the biggest club in the world anymore, a few others have caught up and unlike say 20 years ago, there are much more appealing options.

Unless Ineos show a completely different approach to the Glazers and reinvest in making United great again, then I don't know why any decent manager would want to come here.
United need to get their shit together first to make it more attractive.

We need to be feared again, hard to beat, make OT a fortress, get rid of the deadwood and have more commitment and ruthlessness from the players

He's my pick aswel. Perfect match

Simeone will revert to counter attacking football which in turn would make a huge chunk of our squad surplus to requirement