Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 22 2.1%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 137 13.3%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 23 2.2%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 16 1.6%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 50 4.9%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 53 5.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 61 5.9%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 33 3.2%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 192 18.7%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 23 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 26 2.5%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 9 0.9%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 188 18.3%
  • Xavi

Votes: 38 3.7%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 75 7.3%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 68 6.6%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
I would actually be happy with Michael Carrick. I’m fed up with foreign managers.

His win rate at Middlesbrough is decent, not a million miles away from McKenna’s at Ipswich and I think he’s a much stronger character who would be more respected by the players.
I don't know. No english manager has ever managed to win the Premier League, there must be a reason for this. Even the FA choose a foreign manager after Southgate's controversial involvement.

I'd go for Amorim. Portuguese football, despite the country's serious financial struggles is rising, fantastic young players, brilliant attacking football, talented young managers.

Can't tell if this is serious or not.
Yes it's serious. We are 12th in the league behind Forest, Fulham and Bournemouth. Why would you not take him ? He has all the credentials and experience to manage at United.

I think I would like an interim and Ten Hag to go. I would rather do than than rush a second best type of appointment.
That's how I feel. The most important thing is getting ethl out.
That was a typo but that's what I'm calling him from now on! And yes I am 5.

Last edited:
Afraid of having to build a cohesive team than walking into a ready made scenario like Madrid. He will end up back there when Carlo is done
Definitely looks that way. He wouldn't want to have to work with less than wc in most positions. Same as Pep.

I don’t disagree but similar to as I said to @Tom Van Persie if your stated ambition is to win the league in the next few years, has he done enough to warrant that task?

I wouldn’t be overly moved if he went to Liverpool, city, Arsenal
Did Erik?
All these people saying these managers are not good enough or he's not won enough etc need to look at ethl and see how everything supposedly looking great still can turn to shit.
He might go to Chelsea and be brilliant. But he doesn't work here, simple as that. The same as Potter, Frank etc could very well do fantastic here.
The thing is you can't wait for perfection because it's probably never going to come and even when most things look good they can still go catastrophically wrong as we have seen. The only way to do this is to keep trying, not sit around hoping for Fergie mk2 to knock on your door.

Last edited:
Did Erik?
All these people saying these managers are not good enough or he's not won enough etc need to look at ethl and see how everything supposedly looking great still can turn to shit.
He might go to Chelsea and be brilliant. But he doesn't work here, simple as that. The same as Potter, Frank etc could very well do fantastic here.
The thing is you can't wait for perfection because it's probably never going to come and even when most things look good they can still go catastrophically wrong as we have seen. The only way to do this is to keep trying, not sit around hoping for Fergie mk2 to knock on your door.
Exactly , having a manager is hurting us getting a manager.
The board couldn't find anyone better than ETH over the summer, but Liverpool had to find someone and found Slott. They had to find someone, but we don't so revert to - well we can't find anyone who is perfect, so we will stick with EriK.

I would take Rafa Benitez. I thought he was employed but it seems not. He was man enough to stay with Newcastle when they went down, and bring them back up. For me that's coaching and not just trying to buy success.

Champions League 1
UEFA Cup 2
La Liga 2
FIFA Club WC 1
Euro Super Cup 1
Italian Super Cup 1
FA Cup 1
EFL Championship 1

Has coached at:_
Valencia, Liverpool, Inter Milan,Chelsea, Napoli, Real Madrid, Newcastel, Everton, Celata Vigo.

Plenty of experience, enough trophies, seems like a sensible fella.

I would take him in a heartbeat.
Plan C: Sack Fergie from ambassador, make Rafa the new manager. The ultimate disrespect by INEOS.

1. Inzaghi
2. Amorim
3. Iraola

Iraola is definitely the strongest (realistic) candidate within the Prem for me above the likes of Silva and Frank. The Brighton manager would be another intriguing option if he had another season under his belt.
Baffled by this. Frank has done 10 times more than Iraola. Amorim I get, but the others?

Frank’s achievements go under the radar, maybe it’s his not so exotic appearance or something. Or maybe people just don’t realize what he’s actually done.

I would take Rafa Benitez. I thought he was employed but it seems not. He was man enough to stay with Newcastle when they went down, and bring them back up. For me that's coaching and not just trying to buy success.

Champions League 1
UEFA Cup 2
La Liga 2
FIFA Club WC 1
Euro Super Cup 1
Italian Super Cup 1
FA Cup 1
EFL Championship 1

Valencia, Liverpool, Inter Milan,Chelsea, Napoli, Real Madrid, Newcastel, Everton, Celata Vigo.

It's 2024. Honestly what is up with this fanbase :lol:

Yes it's serious. We are 12th in the league behind Forest, Fulham and Bournemouth. Why would you not take him ? He has all the credentials and experience to manage at United.

He hasn’t had a big job in nearly 10 years and his last few appointments have been dreadful.
Even ignoring the Liverpool connection he’d be an absolutely terrible choice.

Champions League 1
UEFA Cup 2
La Liga 2
FIFA Club WC 1
Euro Super Cup 1
Italian Super Cup 1
FA Cup 1
EFL Championship 1

Too much pro evolution been played by you. He should be nowhere near been the new manager of Man Red

Did Erik?

Exactly , having a manager is hurting us getting a manager.
The board couldn't find anyone better than ETH over the summer, but Liverpool had to find someone and found Slott. They had to find someone, but we don't so revert to - well we can't find anyone who is perfect, so we will stick with EriK.
It's not about waiting for Fergie mk II though.

When Liverpool and city got Klopp and Guardiola respectively, it was obvious those were going to be big appointments. Alonso will be a big appointment for someone. There are always stand out managers, United always seem to politely let other clubs have them while we sniff around people clearly under level. Mourinho was the biggest manager, and was the most successful here. I think this club over-complicates it whereas other clubs tend to do the obvious thing and then profit from it.

Too much pro evolution been played by you. He should be nowhere near been the new manager of Man Red

Can't see Refe Benietz lead Man Red at Trad Brick Stadium anytime soon. Perhaps he will sign Snake Derrick and Raberto Larcos to shore us up?

Seen Iraola mentioned on here but not a huge fan. Remember them beating us 3-0 last season, but also their goalie constantly blooting it down bottom left and their players booked for timewasting in the first-half.

A good game manager but would feel a sideways appointment at best.

He also looks like Alfred Molina. Still haven't forgiven him leaving Indy for dead.

He really doesn't. Achievements from two decades ago don't hold a lot of weight in today's game. Football has changed a lot since then, and Benítez has been irrelevant for a long time now...

I also don't want someone that's the second best Liverpool manager behind Klopp in the modern era.

Behave your self. He played a 10 man arsenal. They’re 10th with a 0 GD. Hardly anything to rave about
Well for a start Bournemouth play much better style of football than we do, and did for most of last season. Their squad is very weak in comparison to ours and they have lost their best player also. He has them playing good football, playing to their strengths and with a GD better than ours both this season and last. To say he's not an upgrade on ETH is understatement IMO. They also hammered us last season. I'd be delighted if he was to replace ETH with the structure we now have at the club.

Baffled by this. Frank has done 10 times more than Iraola. Amorim I get, but the others?

Frank’s achievements go under the radar, maybe it’s his not so exotic appearance or something. Or maybe people just don’t realize what he’s actually done.
10 times?

Prior to Bournemouth Iraola did a solid job at both his previous stints. Had to fact check this but he got promoted with Vallecano from the Segunda to La Liga in his first season, then solidified them with two mid table finishes and a cup semi. Before that he took a newly promoted Mirandes in the Segunda to a cup semi too beating Sevilla etc en route.

Not saying Frank isn’t a good manager, but Iraola is showing a lot of promise for a young manager, and to say Frank has achieved 10x is a farce. Frank took over a well-oiled machine that was already around the playoffs for a couple seasons prior. He did an incredible job getting them promoted no doubting that as it is a very tough thing to do for team without parachute payments, and he’s no made Brentford very stable in this league.

I think Frank needs to have another job under his belt where he has improved the team though, either in the prem or another top European league before he should be considered for a top top job. I’m also not saying Iraola is without risk either, he’d be incredibly risky in fact. It’s more just a damning view of who we would be able to attract right now that Iraola is 3rd on my list.

10 times?

Prior to Bournemouth Iraola did a solid job at both his previous stints. Had to fact check this but he got promoted with Vallecano from the Segunda to La Liga in his first season, then solidified them with two mid table finishes and a cup semi. Before that he took a newly promoted Mirandes in the Segunda to a cup semi too beating Sevilla etc en route.

Not saying Frank isn’t a good manager, but Iraola is showing a lot of promise for a young manager, and to say Frank has achieved 10x is a farce. Frank took over a well-oiled machine that was already around the playoffs for a couple seasons prior. He did an incredible job getting them promoted no doubting that as it is a very tough thing to do for team without parachute payments, and he’s no made Brentford very stable in this league.

I think Frank needs to have another job under his belt where he has improved the team though, either in the prem or another top European league before he should be considered for a top top job. I’m also not saying Iraola is without risk either, he’d be incredibly risky in fact. It’s more just a damning view of who we would be able to attract right now that Iraola is 3rd on my list.
Agree. I get a strong feeling about Irola too. I sense he will one day be a Champions League winning manager. Not so sure about Frank, he's rightly getting praise but I'm not sure he's cut out for bigger.

Champions League 1
UEFA Cup 2
La Liga 2
FIFA Club WC 1
Euro Super Cup 1
Italian Super Cup 1
FA Cup 1
EFL Championship 1

No idea what to say to this. Lost for words.

Well for a start Bournemouth play much better style of football than we do, and did for most of last season. Their squad is very weak in comparison to ours and they have lost their best player also. He has them playing good football, playing to their strengths and with a GD better than ours both this season and last. To say he's not an upgrade on ETH is understatement IMO. They also hammered us last season. I'd be delighted if he was to replace ETH with the structure we now have at the club.
Ye you’d also be very disappointed when he failed. Most of the league play better football than us and having a better GD than us isn’t that hard really. That doesn’t mean we should go out and get their manager. I’d rather Emery from Villa. Managed at a top team already, managed in Europe. I wouldn’t say he’s overachieved with Bournemouth yet to warrant a shot at managing us. They’ve finished 12th last season and are currently 11th. Let’s see where he ends up this season. Everyone was jumping on the Glasner bandwagon last season and now look what’s happened…

Ye you’d also be very disappointed when he failed. Most of the league play better football than us and having a better GD than us isn’t that hard really. That doesn’t mean we should go out and get their manager. I’d rather Emery from Villa. Managed at a top team already, managed in Europe. I wouldn’t say he’s overachieved with Bournemouth yet to warrant a shot at managing us. They’ve finished 12th last season and are currently 11th. Let’s see where he ends up this season. Everyone was jumping on the Glasner bandwagon last season and now look what’s happened…

I agree with this.

You cannot judge a manager based on how they play against us, we would be hiring the Coventry manager then as well.

Also, judging managers on how the teams play against big teams should also not be a barometer of the manager. Alot of managers can set a team to defend and transition, its when you have the pressure to take it to the opponents and dictate play. This is why managers struggle coming from lower table clubs.

Champions League 1
UEFA Cup 2
La Liga 2
FIFA Club WC 1
Euro Super Cup 1
Italian Super Cup 1
FA Cup 1
EFL Championship 1

What on earth have I just read :lol:

With some of the names we have reportedly engaged with over the manager job, it really is no surprise to hear that Xavi has been sounded out too.