Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 22 2.1%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 137 13.3%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 23 2.2%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 16 1.6%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 50 4.9%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 53 5.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 61 5.9%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 33 3.2%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 192 18.7%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 23 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 26 2.5%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 9 0.9%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 188 18.3%
  • Xavi

Votes: 38 3.7%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 75 7.3%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 68 6.6%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
In my opinion a lack of control. He's able to at least maintain a great transformation team, but it never felt as if he knew how to move towards a more reliably dominant style. There were talks about him wanting to move the team towards more of a possession style, but that never really happened, which also means he wasn't really able to close the gap to the absolute top teams in the league.

Nonetheless what he did resulted in great entertainment and a bunch of really memorable moments. In that regard football is cruel, I would have liked to see him win some cup or the EL with that style much more than EtH...

Well duh he had a shit squad. The fact most people here didnt realised it the moment he got booted made me think he was better than the perception. Ole made our squad looked better than they actually were. ETH loves to complain about not getting FDJ, now imagine not getting any centre midfield reinforcement for 3 years? That happened to Ole. He also had to make do with bunch of old strikers like Ighalo, Cavani, and Ronaldo. Where do you think ETH would take us on the table with that level of support? Relegation i bet.

Well I voted for Xavi. Even as a short term appointment it'd be good to see, would need to jettison half the squad though.

Yeah Xavi is the only permanent appointment opportunity left now that intrigues me, however like you said we don't have the squad for him

Do we have a list of candidates who haven't turned us down over the last 6 months? :lol::(

Tbf to Alonso, he also turned down Bayern but that makes about all my top candidates who've either turned us down or taken other jobs.

The only one left of my preferred optipns that I don't know whether we actually approached him or not is Amorim and he turned down Liverpool over the summer so I figure the answer would be the similar if we did/have approached him.
So we believe everything the media says, at least when it's convenient to our own personal takes. So we were turned down by Tuchel, Nagelsmann, Xabi Alonso, some bloke from Stuttgart, etc, etc. We offered the job to any german with a pulse, but none of them were interested in managing the biggest club in the world, makes total sense.

One thing you can say about INEOS, they don't let information out, so all this crap in the media about us offering the job to all these people is total BS. Tuchel whored himself out to every vacant position during the many periods he was without work over the last 3 years, always United too, but when offered the job turned it down, yup, totally buying it, who wouldn't want to manager BS international football over the biggest club in the game?

What? Are you kidding me? Have seen us under Ole? Have you seen us trying to press high under Ole? Where were you those 3 horrible years? A great win here and there but all in all terrible football.

Come on man we all love the guy but he was never up to this level of coaching.

His only tactic was exactly that sit deep and hit on the counter. Oh and vibes, lots of them.

Starting every game (e.g. Burnley, Southampton etc.) like we had to face prime Barca.
We tended to play that way against the top teams, but it's hardly like that was all we were doing against mid and lower teams. Being at our most dangerous when we were counter-attacking doesn't mean that that was our only tactic.

I mean, we had higher possession under Ole than we have under ETH, with pretty much every attacking stat also being better. We actually pinned opposition teams back in their defensive area far more under him than we currently do.

Well duh he had a shit squad. The fact most people here didnt realised it the moment he got booted made me think he was better than the perception. Ole made our squad looked better than they actually were. ETH loves to complain about not getting FDJ, now imagine not getting any centre midfield reinforcement for 3 years? That happened to Ole. He also had to make do with bunch of old strikers like Ighalo, Cavani, and Ronaldo. Where do you think ETH would take us on the table with that level of support? Relegation i bet.
He also could spend money, just that it wasn't necessarily was spent in a smart way. So I wouldn't fully excuse him by saying he had a shit squad, he had a say in that and for example Ronaldo turned into a disaster that in my opinion completely derailed what he was trying to build towards. But I agree, he was far better in the job than most people believed at the end. After all, he was a single penalty away from winning the EL.

But overall I think the way he let them play suited that squad well. It wasn't the best, but they played in a way that got a lot of many of the players. They still lacked the quality for a real title push or deep CL run, I agree so far.

Would be a very bad choice, IMO. Terzic is a bit like the Dortmund version of Solskjaer. He's genuinely likeable but doesn't stand for a certain way of playing football and was criticized by his players for having not enough clue about tactics.

I think the idea to not aim for the stars immediately is a decent one but Terzic would be a step back, not forward.
Is there a step backwards from Ten Hag? He has turned us in to a bottom half team whilst spending more than any other Utd manager

Are release clauses for managers a new thing?

Yeah isn't Glasner's something wild like €100m, we have already been beaten to Tuchel by England so let's not lose Amorim to City too. Need to be proactive and ensure we are ready to activate clause in summer.

Last edited:
What? Are you kidding me? Have seen us under Ole? Have you seen us trying to press high under Ole? Where were you those 3 horrible years? A great win here and there but all in all terrible football.

Come on man we all love the guy but he was never up to this level of coaching.

His only tactic was exactly that sit deep and hit on the counter. Oh and vibes, lots of them.

Starting every game (e.g. Burnley, Southampton etc.) like we had to face prime Barca.

Yes, I did see us under Ole, and the football was undisputably better and more entertaining than under any other manager after Ferguson, barring maybe that one season under Mourinho when we finished second. We did press high, often successfully, maybe you just don't remember.

And just because you keep repeating it, it still won't be true that we sat back deep and countered. We had one of the highest defensive lines in the league under Ole thoughout his tenure, and our possession stats were also better than under ETH.

What you are saying about us sitting back against any team as if they were prime Barcelona, is actually way more true about how we've been playing under ETH, even in his first season.

All this Viana to City meaning that Amorim is also going there is nonsense. It doesn't work that way. Potter or Howe would be here by now if that was how it worked. Besides why are we worried a kit City's next manager? They have the results of the 115 charges to contend with by January. Contrary to some on here, I don't see them getting away with a light punishment, they will be heavily punished and thus, which top manager will go into that mess? Likely they promote from within.

In my opinion a lack of control. He's able to at least maintain a great transformation team, but it never felt as if he knew how to move towards a more reliably dominant style. There were talks about him wanting to move the team towards more of a possession style, but that never really happened, which also means he wasn't really able to close the gap to the absolute top teams in the league.

Nonetheless what he did resulted in great entertainment and a bunch of really memorable moments. In that regard football is cruel, I would have liked to see him win some cup or the EL with that style much more than EtH...

He said on the Overlap, that this was the plan after the 20/21 season, however in my opinion, the following transfer window was an absolute shambles.

The expectations skyrocketed, because we signed big names in Varane, Sancho, and Ronaldo, but the reality is that we actually strayed further from being able to successfully move towards a more dominant style.

Varane wasn't suitable for a high line or a good build-up defender, and was rather just a very solid deep box defender.

Sancho was not a difference maker in a struggling team, but rather someone who can bring some much needed off-ball movement and link-up play against low-blocks, but only if your system was already decent and could create some space for him. It should've worked in theory, because we had the "give me the ball and I'll make something happen" winger on the opposing side in Rashford (but the left-side was also Sancho's more preferred one, another issue), we had great link-up players in Martial, Bruno, van de Beek, even Lingard, but I feel like Ronaldo also really disrupted a lot of the team dynamics. By the time he joined, I feel like he was mostly just a good box striker with great athleticism, positioning, and finishing, but outside the box it was mostly just his great ball-striking that could actually make the difference sometimes. He was also unwilling to press enough, which was a big problem under both Ole and then Rangnick.

Pogba could also be a passenger out of possession and wasn't a great presser IMO. We also mostly used him in a double-pivot instead of a 3 man midfield, and Bruno's arrival basically meant that this wasn't going to change for him at United. It's no surprise that Ole got the most out of him as a winger or an impact sub off the bench, despite him being one of the most naturally talented midfielders I've ever seen. We should've built a midfield with similar dynamics as the Pogba-Matic/Carrick-Herrera trios instead of getting a #10 like Bruno if we weren't willing to let Pogba leave in 2019/2020.

Greenwood was also often undisciplined out of possession and didn't know when to press, and who to press.

AWB was also not a good build-up player.

De Gea couldn't pass or be given the ball when the opponents pressed high, so another bad build-up player.

The makeshift midfield of McFred was also not suited for that "dominant approach IMO". We needed an expansive passer, but neither of them were that. We also needed someone who could receive and progress the ball up the field by carrying it, and good on the half-turn as well. Someone like Mainoo is for us today. Fred and McTominay weren't suited for this either.

Our squad was just not good enough to do what Ole was planning to do, and instead of using the summer window to get closer to this goal, we strayed even further from it.

Last edited:
That's actually a good point. I'm just not sure if the current squad is suited as well to the simple thing as Ole teached it as Mourinho's squad was. Which is why I think it wouldn't work out as well.
In a way, I think Ten Hag has done his job with some of the younger players. The likes of Amad, Mainoo, Garnacho, and Hojlund have learnt a good deal of discipline under his instruction, even learnt how to win things. But now that they're along in their development a bit, somebody who could lift the shackles and have them play with a bit more freedom and expression might see them reach that next level. There must be some up-and-coming knock-off Ancelotti out there somewhere, but the names that keep coming up are usually ideologues of some kind. Most of the managers coming through are, I suppose.

I don't like to draw the obvious LVG comparison, particularly as the two managers have such different styles, but one thing they do have in common is their propensity to over-coach. I think that's kind of beneficial to players when they first come into the side, but wears thin pretty fast, and the senior player just gets worse and worse.

All this Viana to City meaning that Amorim is also going there is nonsense. It doesn't work that way. Potter or Howe would be here by now if that was how it worked. Besides why are we worried a kit City's next manager? They have the results of the 115 charges to contend with by January. Contrary to some on here, I don't see them getting away with a light punishment, they will be heavily punished and thus, which top manager will go into that mess? Likely they promote from within.

Ashworth left Newcastle partly due to not getting on too well with Howe if I'm not mistaken, and because the latter was given way too much control over recruitment, which rendered Ashworth's role within the club much less important than he thought it would be. So, he isn't a good example IMO and I can see us appointing Potter in the future at United tbh, whether directly after ETH or at some point in the future.

I'm not saying Amorim will follow Viana to City, but I do think it would make City a more attractive destination for him than if Viana wasn't there, and it's now also more likely that he is going to be asked to take the job too.

He said on the Overlap, that this was the plan after the 20/21 season, however in my opinion, the following transfer window was an absolute shambles.

The expectations skyrocketed, because we signed big names in Varane, Sancho, and Ronaldo, but the reality is that we actually strayed further from being able to successfully move towards a more dominant style.

Varane wasn't suitable for a high line or a good build-up defender, and was rather just a very solid deep box defender.

Sancho was not a difference maker in a struggling team, but rather someone who can bring some much needed off-ball movement and link-up play against low-blocks, but only if your system was already decent and could create some space for him. It should've worked in theory, because we had the "give me the ball and I'll make something happen" winger on the opposing side in Rashford (but the left-side was also Sancho's more preferred one, another issue), we had great link-up players in Martial, Bruno, van de Beek, even Lingard, but I feel like Ronaldo also really disrupted a lot of the team dynamics. By the time he joined, I feel like he was mostly just a good box striker with great athleticism, positioning, and finishing, but outside the box it was mostly just his great ball-striking that could actually make the difference sometimes. He was also unwilling to press enough, which was a big problem under both Ole and then Rangnick.

Pogba could also be a passenger out of possession and wasn't a great presser IMO. We also mostly used him in a double-pivot instead of a 3 man midfield, and Bruno's arrival basically meant that this wasn't going to change for him at United. It's no surprise that Ole got the most out of him as a winger or an impact sub off the bench, despite him being one of the most naturally talented midfielders I've ever seen. We should've built a midfield with similar dynamics as the Pogba-Matic/Carrick-Herrera trios instead of getting a #10 like Bruno if we weren't willing to let Pogba leave in 2019/2020.

Greenwood was also often undisciplined out of possession and didn't know when to press, and who to press.

AWB was also not a good build-up player.

De Gea couldn't pass or be given the ball when the opponents pressed high, so another bad build-up player.

The makeshift midfield of McFred was also not suited for that "dominant approach IMO". We needed an expansive passer, but neither of them were that. We also needed someone who could receive and progress the ball up the field by carrying it, and good on the half-turn as well. Someone like Mainoo is for us today. Fred and McTominay weren't suited for this either.

Our squad was just not good enough to do what Ole was planning to do, and instead of using the summer window to get closer to this goal, we strayed even further from it.
Thanks for giving examples for my following post in which I said he didn't spend in a smart way. Fully agree with all your points here.

I do think it's right the next manager will be restricted in what he can spend over and above what can be raised in sales, with an expectation he works with what he's got and utilising some of the younger talent at the club. The idea someone sat in an office will dictate the playing style and the strategic and tactical direction just seems bonkers to me.

Of course there is.
In what way? I mean within reason I mean by appointing another football manager not a cabbage, goat or likewise, other than getting us relegated (which Ten Hag is on course for) what could another manager do worse than Ten Hag has done over the last 18 months?

Seriously what good has Ten Hag brought to the team?
In what way has Ten Hag improved us?

If you want to say the cup wins, then be happy supporting a team that is a cup team only, that is not where I want utd to be! all they did was gloss over his ineptness

Ten Hag has taken us to the lowest point I have ever known (since about 85 when I was old enough to remember), last season we played the worst football I have ever seen a professional football team play!

So tell me how exactly could appointing any other qualified, championship up level manager could be a backwards step?

Yes, I did see us under Ole, and the football was undisputably better and more entertaining than under any other manager after Ferguson, barring maybe that one season under Mourinho when we finished second. We did press high, often successfully, maybe you just don't remember.

And just because you keep repeating it, it still won't be true that we sat back deep and countered. We had one of the highest defensive lines in the league under Ole thoughout his tenure, and our possession stats were also better than under ETH.

What you are saying about us sitting back against any team as if they were prime Barcelona, is actually way more true about how we've been playing under ETH, even in his first season.

Well I'm not trying to defend ETH, I never was on the Ten Hag worshippers. I'm hoping it won't be too long to release him.

Under Ole we couldn't see where and if we are going somewhere. It's not like say Klopp's first season, they weren't any good just glimpses but you could see it that something is building over there.

There were voices that Ole is not the man to make us challengers since his interim spell after those 10-15 games were we literally sunk (Everton 4-0, Cardiff already relegated 0-2 win at OT and more), after the Burnley debacle and on numerous occasions throughout his tenure. Bruno saved his ass mostly in his first year and in the coming seasons. And football-wise that was the only plan. Give the ball to Bruno and he will find something to do with it. The moment he decided to make us a possession team and signed some quality (at the time and based on what everybody has seen) players he lost it. And that tells a fecking lot for his qualities. Also you are claiming that H. Maguire can press high? Are you serious? The man couldn't turn to save his life. But you're saying that with Ole we were a high pressing machine on the front foot and all those ridiculous takes?

Revisionism is strong among the caf.

He was in charge just cause he was a yes man to Woodward and also appealed to fans cause of his legendary status. Don't try to paint a different picture, Ole was never a coach that a team this massive like ours should go anywhere near and not because he came from Molde but because his football was atrocious.

Can I ask? Would you take Ole or say Thomas Frank?

ETH’s replacement had another good result against Arsenal today. Top coach, tactically astute, good man manager and one of the cheapest wages in the league to buy out. Sooner he joins the better.

Would love to see Iraola brought in next summer.
Until then, if Ten Hag starts to bring in the points at an acceptable rate, let him finish the season. If he doesn't, sack him for an interim.

Would love to see Iraola brought in next summer.
Until then, if Ten Hag starts to bring in the points at an acceptable rate, let him finish the season. If he doesn't, sack him for an interim.

1. Inzaghi
2. Amorim
3. Iraola

Iraola is definitely the strongest (realistic) candidate within the Prem for me above the likes of Silva and Frank. The Brighton manager would be another intriguing option if he had another season under his belt.

1. Inzaghi
2. Amorim
3. Iraola

Iraola is definitely the strongest (realistic) candidate within the Prem for me above the likes of Silva and Frank. The Brighton manager would be another intriguing option if he had another season under his belt.
I think Hürzeler is far too green for a big club job yet, though obviously one to watch. Brighton might have won yesterday but they were really poor in the first half (again)..
Bournemouth however play some great football week in week out, don't they

ETH’s replacement had another good result against Arsenal today. Top coach, tactically astute, good man manager and one of the cheapest wages in the league to buy out. Sooner he joins the better.

Are you saying your confident he replaces Ten Hag or more just a belief he's a good fit

Behave your self. He played a 10 man arsenal. They’re 10th with a 0 GD. Hardly anything to rave about

I would take Rafa Benitez. I thought he was employed but it seems not. He was man enough to stay with Newcastle when they went down, and bring them back up. For me that's coaching and not just trying to buy success.

Champions League 1
UEFA Cup 2
La Liga 2
FIFA Club WC 1
Euro Super Cup 1
Italian Super Cup 1
FA Cup 1
EFL Championship 1

Has coached at:_
Valencia, Liverpool, Inter Milan,Chelsea, Napoli, Real Madrid, Newcastel, Everton, Celata Vigo.

Plenty of experience, enough trophies, seems like a sensible fella.

I would take him in a heartbeat.

I would take Rafa Benitez. I thought he was employed but it seems not. He was man enough to stay with Newcastle when they went down, and bring them back up. For me that's coaching and not just trying to buy success.

Champions League 1
UEFA Cup 2
La Liga 2
FIFA Club WC 1
Euro Super Cup 1
Italian Super Cup 1
FA Cup 1
EFL Championship 1

Has coached at:_
Valencia, Liverpool, Inter Milan,Chelsea, Napoli, Real Madrid, Newcastel, Everton, Celata Vigo.

Plenty of experience, enough trophies, seems like a sensible fella.

I would take him in a heartbeat.
Can't tell if this is serious or not.