Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 103 10.4%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 44 4.4%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 53 5.3%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 24 2.4%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 169 17.1%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 132 13.3%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 171 17.3%
  • Xavi

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 62 6.3%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.1%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
But the worst thing is that the long term is having years outside the UCL while you wait for a supposed “long-term” coach. Tuchel could get us fourth this year and probably do at least the season after that. We would be a properly set up team, and if the relationship went south, we'd be in a position of strength getting the next guy in.

More than winning the league, the most important thing for us is getting consecutive UCL places, not one season and out. Once we're able to do that, we can talk about winning the league.

Tuchel now is better than writing another season off. He’s got a difficult personality, but tactically, he is on another planet to EtH. He's in the Pep/Arteta league.
I agree with everything you wrote, but just making you aware that Tuchel is now the England manager - contract signed.
We need to look elsewhere.

You know full well the relationship going south means a disaster 6th placed finish with mutiny in the squad and a flurry of flop signings. Not being in a position of strength for the next guy.

The second point is laughable. How is this the most important thing? We’ve literally not spent more than a single consecutive year outside the top 4 and look where that’s got us. Meanwhile Liverpool and Arsenal have both spent 6+ years in a row outside the top 4 in recent years and come roaring back challenging for the league. We need to break this cycle of mediocrity, which inevitably means short term pain.

Why would I know that “full well” when what you’re saying is untrue? There’s no history of his teams tanking, and there’s more chance of him completing a first full season than him not doing. Anyway, that’s not happening. I think we’ve made a mistake not moving for him.

The second point is laughable because you’ve misread it. I’m aware we’ve not spent consecutive years outside the CL, but the point is to be IN it every year and building the squad as a proper Champion’s League team.

What’s your point with Liverpool and Arsenal? Was years of shite under Hodgson, Dalgleish, and Rodgers the REAL reason for the success under Klopp?

The second point is laughable because you’ve misread it. I’m aware we’ve not spent consecutive years outside the CL, but the point is to be IN it every year and building the squad as a proper Champion’s League team.

What’s your point with Liverpool and Arsenal? Was years of shite under Hodgson, Dalgleish, and Rodgers the REAL reason for the success under Klopp?
What does "build a proper Champions League team" mean? There has been zero correlation between the quality of signings we've made when we've been in the CL versus when we haven't. All it would do is increase the regularity of us bombing out early like we do every time.

The second point is relevant to my first. Liverpool had so many years outside the CL, they were never trapped in a cycle of mediocrity where fans like you found it imperative to finish top 4 every year and never address why they weren't going further. They sank very low following the Rafa years and could then press the reset button and give Klopp time to build something without that pressure, and then they had genuine momentum when they qualified again.

It's of course not like that's the only way to do it. Of course ideally we sack ETH, get Tuchel in and he gets top 4 this season then challenges for the league next as you want. But it's clear that that strategy hasn't worked for some time now, there's a cycle we are in of rinsing and repeating. I don't mind a few years of genuine shit, 8th, 7th finishes if it means we are patiently changing our DNA and building something up, that would likely lead to a higher ceiling and Liverpool and Arsenal are good examples of that.

What does "build a proper Champions League team" mean? There has been zero correlation between the quality of signings we've made when we've been in the CL versus when we haven't. All it would do is increase the regularity of us bombing out early like we do every time.

The second point is relevant to my first. Liverpool had so many years outside the CL, they were never trapped in a cycle of mediocrity where fans like you found it imperative to finish top 4 every year and never address why they weren't going further. They sank very low following the Rafa years and could then press the reset button and give Klopp time to build something without that pressure, and then they had genuine momentum when they qualified again.

It's of course not like that's the only way to do it. Of course ideally we sack ETH, get Tuchel in and he gets top 4 this season then challenges for the league next as you want. But it's clear that that strategy hasn't worked for some time now, there's a cycle we are in of rinsing and repeating. I don't mind a few years of genuine shit, 8th, 7th finishes if it means we are patiently changing our DNA and building something up, that would likely lead to a higher ceiling and Liverpool and Arsenal are good examples of that.

Being in the CL is much, much better for our finances, allowing us to invest in the squad more, and it also makes it easier to attract better players. Our transfer policy being garbage for the last while doesn’t mean it has to stay that way. Of course getting back into the top of and regular CL football should be our goal.

As for putting up with a few years of genuine shit whilst “patiently changing our DNA”, what does that even mean? Sounds like meaningless nonsense used to justify continued underperformance. Being shit isn’t a mandatory rite of passage on the way to being good. There are other ways to get good.

Sebastian Hoeneß would be a dream appointment. Don’t know why he isn’t talked more about here.

Ruud and Roy Keane as caretakers until the summer would be interesting.

Some of our players need a real kick up the arse, and those two would give it for sure.

Roy has enough goodwill in the tank to cover for any inevitable disasters.

As for putting up with a few years of genuine shit whilst “patiently changing our DNA”, what does that even mean? Sounds like meaningless nonsense used to justify continued underperformance. Being shit isn’t a mandatory rite of passage on the way to being good. There are other ways to get good.
If you’d read my post you’d see I’m not saying that at all. Completely missed every point I was making. I’m not justifying anything. I’m saying the changes have to be made at a deep level which will take a long time to come to fruition. Apparently people want to just get in a short term option who can get us regularly in the top 4. You’re the one justifying the underperformance by wanting to continue in this cycle. Of course fans would start to moan if that were the case, as they’d want a title challenge. Stop ignoring the bigger picture. The whole club needs gutting throughout.

As I said in my previous post, you’re right that being shit isn’t a mandatory passage. I literally said that. Ideally we get someone who can very quickly turn us into challengers. It’s possible and things change rapidly in football. My original point was that, given his track record, that person is not likely to be Tuchel and likely doesn’t exist. Tuchel would at best get us competing for top 4 quickly before it all blew up again. Instead, we realistically need to aim for 3-4 years when City may decline. Who cares if we’re spending those years getting knocked out of the CL league phase. I’d rather us quality when we’ve built a team ready to win it.

Last edited:
Sebastian Hoeneß would be a dream appointment. Don’t know why he isn’t talked more about here.
Apparently was approached in the summer and declined. Prefers to be in the CL instead of PL relegation battle.

United is beneath him.

(Somewhere between my post and @doubleohseven 's post you find the truth)

If you’d read my post you’d see I’m not saying that at all. Completely missed every point I was making. I’m not justifying anything. I’m saying the changes have to be made at a deep level which will take a long time to come to fruition. Apparently people want to just get in a short term option who can get us regularly in the top 4. You’re the one justifying the underperformance by wanting to continue in this cycle. Of course fans would start to moan if that were the case, as they’d want a title challenge. Stop ignoring the bigger picture. The whole club needs gutting throughout.

As I said in my previous post, you’re right that being shit isn’t a mandatory passage. I literally said that. Ideally we get someone who can very quickly turn us into challengers. It’s possible and things change rapidly in football. My original point was that, given his track record, that person is not likely to be Tuchel and likely doesn’t exist. Tuchel would at best get us competing for top 4 quickly before it all blew up again. Instead, we realistically need to aim for 3-4 years when City may decline. Who cares if we’re spending those years getting knocked out of the CL league phase. I’d rather us quality when we’ve built a team ready to win it.

Nonsense, I’m saying nothing of the sort. I don’t think there’s anyone that doesn’t think there aren’t some underlying, bigger issues that need to be sorted, but getting in a manager who can make us top four in the short term isn’t mutually exclusive to making those bigger, long term changes, especially when such significant changes to the footballing side of the club are already being made. It may even help, because it will help fund what we hope to be a smarter and more stable and long term approach in the transfer market.

You’re presenting a false dichotomy based on nothing more than a feeling over how someone like Tuchel might do. There’s no set way on how clubs get back to the top. Short term managers who bring short term success can absolutely be a part viable part of a successful long term strategy that involves multiple people and multiple elements.

Current favourtites:

Ruud - 4/1
Southgate - 5/1
McKenna - 11/1
Potter - 22/1
Thomas Frank - 25/1

If city, Arsenal or Liverpool had a vacancy tomorrow, you'd probably look at their 5 favourites and drool.

I don't get why we always get linked to the Martin O'Neil's and Southgate's