Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 18 1.8%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 104 10.4%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 46 4.6%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 53 5.3%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 172 17.2%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 130 13.0%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 172 17.2%
  • Xavi

Votes: 27 2.7%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 64 6.4%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.1%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Yeah I think so.

Xavi and Zidane would also be interesting as would a wildcard entry like McKenna.

Thing is though. None of these candidates are available now.

Is everyone happy to continue with Ten Hag, or use an interim option, for near enough a full season so we can get the best candidate?

There’s no patience.
Definitely interim. Ten Hag is not the answer.

Being in the CL is much, much better for our finances, allowing us to invest in the squad more, and it also makes it easier to attract better players. Our transfer policy being garbage for the last while doesn’t mean it has to stay that way. Of course getting back into the top of and regular CL football should be our goal.

As for putting up with a few years of genuine shit whilst “patiently changing our DNA”, what does that even mean? Sounds like meaningless nonsense used to justify continued underperformance. Being shit isn’t a mandatory rite of passage on the way to being good. There are other ways to get good.
That poster thinks the Arsenal method is the only way to build clearly. The thing is they did a squad rebuild during those years is why they faltered. We've already done a squad rebuild and are now worse than we were before.

Nonsense, I’m saying nothing of the sort. I don’t think there’s anyone that doesn’t think there aren’t some underlying, bigger issues that need to be sorted, but getting in a manager who can make us top four in the short term isn’t mutually exclusive to making those bigger, long term changes, especially when such significant changes to the footballing side of the club are already being made. It may even help, because it will help fund what we hope to be a smarter and more stable and long term approach in the transfer market.

You’re presenting a false dichotomy based on nothing more than a feeling over how someone like Tuchel might do. There’s no set way on how clubs get back to the top. Short term managers who bring short term success can absolutely be a part viable part of a successful long term strategy that involves multiple people and multiple elements.
Exactly this. Why can we not try to finish top 4 consecutively while building towards a title challenge? It's not impossible. We almost did it under Ole.

If it’s southgate, you may as well wrap up the club. It is doomed before it starts and hammers down the fact that the new regime won’t be any different to the old one.

If they play the long game and hire the right man, that’s great. If they play the long game, let Ten Hag ruin another season, and then hire Southgate? There isn’t anyway the trust is coming back after that.

I think INEOS have shown there are happy to be patient if it means getting who they want, even if that takes time (see Berrada and Ashworth appointments).

I think the fans who are losing their shit about things not happening immediately really need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

We can get rid of Ten Hag immediately, but that means finding a suitable interim and a good chance of a Rangnick type season and over a much longer period. That could be the trade off in order to get the person the club one to lead the project and would surely make it worth it in the long term.

Or we can knee jerk and just appoint a third or fourth choice option now and move away from the plan. Then there’s a risk of needing to do this all again within 12 months much like Clearlake.

The final option is keep Ten Hag a bit longer and see if he can bridge some of that gap.

Plus even if we change managers right now, there's only so much realistic upside this season.

Already 6 points behind 5th place and 8th most likely to finish in the top four as per the bookies, I wouldn't back either ETH or a new guy to secure top four from here. So I suspect we'd be hoping for a cup win as the most likely source of any success (and CL qualification) this season regardless.

If people think an interim has more chance of winning one of those cups or pulling off an unlikely top four finish than ETH, fair enough. But I suspect the odds are we ultimately end up having a similar season either way.