Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 101 10.2%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 16 1.6%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 44 4.5%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.3%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 52 5.3%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 23 2.3%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 169 17.1%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 133 13.5%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 169 17.1%
  • Xavi

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 63 6.4%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.2%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
If I was a United player and saw the likes of city, Arsenal, Liverpool even Chelsea pull away from us and the club presented Graham Potter as a solution to it, I'd be demotivated.

It's what happened at Chelsea. It's what will happen at ours.

None of that matters if you get the right players and just get the fundamentals of setting a team up correct. Points will follow.

As we know being a name means little to today's players. Seems to be more about how they're treated.

These are just empty phrases.

He's managed one top six club and it failed miserably. Absolutely nobody of note wants him. For good reason.

I reiterate: Potters' qualifications for the job are his nationality, and who he knows.

Recipe for disaster.

If I was a United player and saw the likes of city, Arsenal, Liverpool even Chelsea pull away from us and the club presented Graham Potter as a solution to it, I'd be demotivated.

It's easy to dismiss a phrase as empty when you lack the will to understand it.

Interesting that you cite Liverpool, whose head coach has fewer credentials than our own, and Chelsea, whose incumbent has fewer credentials than just about everyone. I wonder why their players aren't blanking the manager?

Palmeri is an awful source, but apparently this guy is reliable for Inter news, confirming our (I'd say serious) interest

"Manchester United have been courting Simone #Inzaghi for months and a phone call (via an intermediary) also arrived recently. Given that a transfer would be impossible at this time, the Inter coach confirmed that he is very happy where he is."

Regarding Graham Potter, I don’t think it was an accident he appeared on MNF this week. It felt like a PR exercise. He didn’t criticize ETH’s tactics or the players. Due to his connections with Ashworth, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him appointed as interim manager next week, with the view to appoint him full-time if he is successful.

I also think the reason he stayed out of work was money. He didn’t have a big money playing career, so Chelsea was his first exposure to huge money. Chelsea has to keep paying him until his contract expires or he takes up new employment. He probably feels he is financially secure now and is putting himself on the market. Whether that is for Manchester United or England is the question

I'm surprised with the lack of votes for Emery. I know he kinda failed at Arsenal, and I’m also a bit ambivalent when it comes to his personality (he appears as sore loser and scumbag) but his coaching and experience are second to none on this list except maybe Tuchel
He has been excellent for Villa but Emery has always thrived at the clubs where there aren't huge expectations (Sevilla, Villarreal, Aston Villa) and has struggled with the pressure of bigger jobs like PSG and Arsenal.

United belong in that second bracket so I can't see it would be a good fit. He'd also have to be a bit mad to leave a settled job with Champions League football to join the circus.

What’s happening with Zidane. He won 4 Champions leagues and then was like yeah I am done now. Thought he was going to get the PSG job at some point.
Word was it that he was waiting for the French national team but Deschamps never really left. He's out of a spotlight for a while now, but the same issues as three years ago - his poor English and allegedly not the biggest craving to live in England - persist.

As we know being a name means little to today's players. Seems to be more about how they're treated.

Ole treated his players how they'd like and it faltered fast. Jose treated his abominably and did much better.

Anyway, it's not about being a 'name' or 'setting the team up well', it's about results.

Potter has absolutely nothing on file to suggest he can get results United would want.

Interesting that you cite Liverpool, whose head coach has fewer credentials than our own,

Slot has not managed another top-six club into the ground. Hopefully, he will, but even if he did, Liverpool would never be so stupid as to hire a dangerously tarnished coach as Potter.

Otherwise, he'd have been a serious contender for replacing Klopp, no?

As for Maresca, sure, he is a risk, but not a proven failure like Potter.

Could you honestly see Chelsea rehire Potter if it went wrong with Maresca?

Regarding Graham Potter, I don’t think it was an accident he appeared on MNF this week. It felt like a PR exercise. He didn’t criticize ETH’s tactics or the players. Due to his connections with Ashworth, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him appointed as interim manager next week, with the view to appoint him full-time if he is successful.

Christ, mate, don't give them ideas.

Ineos hiring their mates to manage us and what will be their squad fills me with a nameless dread, and it should do you, too.

Hopefully, they're a lot smarter than this.

Hopefully.

I also think the reason he stayed out of work was money. He didn’t have a big money playing career, so Chelsea was his first exposure to huge money. Chelsea has to keep paying him until his contract expires or he takes up new employment. He probably feels he is financially secure now and is putting himself on the market. Whether that is for Manchester United or England is the question

The most telling thing was that he said he'd had conversations with a lot of people but won't say any more. It could also be that he appeared on there as his pay from Chelsea is coming to an end.

The most telling thing was that he said he'd had conversations with a lot of people but won't say any more. It could also be that he appeared on there as his pay from Chelsea is coming to an end.
I agree, he was 100% putting himself back on the shop window.

As he would not be seen as an inspiring choice (see @doubleohseven post above) it would make sense from the clubs point of view to appoint him as interim manager. He could slowly grow on the fans that way.

He wouldn’t be my first choice, but I can see it going that way

I’m 90% sure he’ll be in our managements top5 candidates but don’t know if he’ll get the job. Ticks so many boxes for them though

I agree, he was 100% putting himself back on the shop window.

As he would not be seen as an inspiring choice (see @doubleohseven post above) it would make sense from the clubs point of view to appoint him as interim manager. He could slowly grow on the fans that way.

He wouldn’t be my first choice, but I can see it going that way

The only way Graham Potter would make sense is if we steered clear of him altogether.

Using an interim basis, harnessed with fan disquiet, is quite surreptitious. Considering quite a few on here think 'he sets a team up well' is enough, it, sadly, might just be decisive.

We need to pressure Ineos, we really do, and Potter in any capacity is why.

The likes of Dan Ashworth installing his unqualified mates into senior roles is continuity Woodward.

The poll is missing Gareth Southgate. If your gonna create a poll you need to have all candidates who have been linked with us.

North Korea tier results. You just had to be there

It does do my head in when people say silly things like 'North Korea' results in these cases.

I know you mean no harm, but people choosing in good faith based on the time is the polar opposite of what North Korea is!

Rant over, unless you want to 'order an Uber', 'google' something, think Halloween is 'American' and or think Graham Potter is up to managing United...

The only way Graham Potter would make sense is if we steered clear of him altogether.

Using an interim basis, harnessed with fan disquiet, is quite surreptitious. Considering quite a few on here think 'he sets a team up well' is enough, it, sadly, might just be decisive.

We need to pressure Ineos, we really do, and Potter in any capacity is why.

The likes of Dan Ashworth installing his unqualified mates into senior roles is continuity Woodward.
I don’t think Dan Ashworth appoints him based on nepotism. I feel if he is appointed it is because Dan Ashworth has worked with him in the past and feels he has what it takes to lead this team. The survey results so far show there is no standout candidate even amongst us.

I do agree with you that we can appoint a better candidate. I feel Nagelsmann would be a great fit. However, he may not want to leave Germany. I voted for Tuchel as I feel he is the best of the available candidates

I don’t think Dan Ashworth appoints him based on nepotism. I feel if he is appointed it is because Dan Ashworth has worked with him in the past and feels he has what it takes to lead this team. The survey results so far show there is no standout candidate even amongst us.

I do agree with you that we can appoint a better candidate. I feel Nagelsmann would be a great fit. However, he may not want to leave Germany. I voted for Tuchel as I feel he is the best of the available candidates

I’d be very wary of letting Ashworth alone choose the coach. He's got a history with the likes of Southgate, Boothroyd, and Sampson at England level. I think he's a good football administrator, but not a man to make football decisions to take us to the top. I think he likes FA, yes-men types who are “easy to work with.”

Why not still go for mckenna, is it really that far fetched when you see arteta going from assistant manager to arsenal manager and making them strong title contenders, maresca going from championship side Leicester to chelsea and having them look like strong top 4 contenders, kompany going from relegation with Burnley to bayern and doing a good job, then you have the likes of alonso doing a great job with leverkusen in his first managerial role, motta at bologna and now at juventus.

Ruud will get the caretaker role, get a couple of decent results and then get rewarded with a lucrative 5 year contract. Then he will turn crap and the players will turn against him and he will be too expensive to sack.

I wouldn’t be against Potter I thought he looked very good at Brighton and I refuse to hold anybody to account for their stints at Chelsea.

I think given the backing and support of a board he could do quite well here.

Interim with a view to full time is a good compromise for both parties.

Yes, went for Tuchel myself, albeit belatedly.

If Ashworth genuinely believes Potter is up to the task of managing us, i.e. making us a serious force again, I hope to highest heaven he's got his resignation letter at the ready.

I wouldn’t be against Potter I thought he looked very good at Brighton and I refuse to hold anybody to account for their stints at Chelsea.

Just what this club needs:

A manager who 'looked good' but won nothing at a club who have since surpassed him, and is considered not responsible for his own failure at another.

I think given the backing and support of a board he could do quite well here.

What does 'quite well' actually mean here?

I’d be very wary of letting Ashworth alone choose the coach. He's got a history with the likes of Southgate, Boothroyd, and Sampson at England level. I think he's a good football administrator, but not a man to make football decisions to take us to the top. I think he likes FA, yes-men types who are “easy to work with.”
I don’t think Ashworth would appoint Potter on his own, in this scenario I feel he would be a strong pro-Potter voice within the decision making process. Good point about the FA appointing people who are easy to work with

I'm surprised with the lack of votes for Emery. I know he kinda failed at Arsenal, and I’m also a bit ambivalent when it comes to his personality (he appears as sore loser and scumbag) but his coaching and experience are second to none on this list except maybe Tuchel
Emery would be one of my favourites, but I highly doubt he'd be willing to come. Yes it's 'only' Aston Villa, but they are setting him up with most of the footballing power and decision making, and being backed by their very rich owners. Unless he doesn't actually want that power, I don't think he'll leave them at this point in time to come here when we seem to be taking that power away from the manager.

Why not still go for mckenna, is it really that far fetched when you see arteta going from assistant manager to arsenal manager and making them strong title contenders, maresca going from championship side Leicester to chelsea and having them look like strong top 4 contenders, kompany going from relegation with Burnley to bayern and doing a good job, then you have the likes of alonso doing a great job with leverkusen in his first managerial role, motta at bologna and now at juventus.

Man Utd is a different beast than Arsenal. Only Real Madrid come close to matching media interest, levels of soap opera-ness and relentlessnes of manager pressure.

We need to start acting like the type of club we are, and stop pretending we are still the club Sir Alex took over - he changed the game, and we need to own it. We need the Ancelottis, Nagelsmans, Allegris of world football. Managers who have worked at huge clubs before, who can handle providing consistency in what is arguably one of the three toughest jobs in football.

Mourinho was succesful for a time, and he is the only manager within that category we have hired since Fergie retired. Unfortunately he was on the decline at the time. I think Ten Hag shows us that there is a significant difference between the upper-middle clubs of Europe and the biggest.

In England alone a Man Utd manager will get absolutely decimated for results that most other managers - including Liverpool and Arsenal managers - can brush off as anomolies.

These are just empty phrases.

He's managed one top six club and it failed miserably. Absolutely nobody of note wants him. For good reason.

I reiterate: Potters' qualifications for the job are his nationality, and who he knows.

Recipe for disaster.

Ah yes, the Chelsea that have hired a Championship manager. And Liverpool who have hired someone who had never managed outside of Netherlands. Arsenal who hired someone who had never managed anywhere before.

Potter did fail at Chelsea, but the situation was fairly unique. A club and squad that was in complete turmoil with random signings, and taking over just a few weeks into the season.

Would he be one of my top choices? No. But I think there's a fair chance he'd do a better job than what most are making out. Even if it's just for the rest of this season I expect he'd do a better job than ETH is, and then we could judge him properly at the end of the season.

Man Utd is a different beast than Arsenal. Only Real Madrid come close to matching media interest, levels of soap opera-ness and relentlessnes of manager pressure.

We need to start acting like the type of club we are, and stop pretending we are still the club Sir Alex took over - he changed the game, and we need to own it. We need the Ancelottis, Nagelsmans, Allegris of world football. Managers who have worked at huge clubs before, who can handle providing consistency in what is arguably one of the three toughest jobs in football.

Mourinho was succesful for a time, and he is the only manager within that category we have hired since Fergie retired. Unfortunately he was on the decline at the time. I think Ten Hag shows us that there is a significant difference between the upper-middle clubs of Europe and the biggest.

In England alone a Man Utd manager will get absolutely decimated for results that most other managers - including Liverpool and Arsenal managers - can brush off as anomolies.
Is this actually true though? We are far more patient with our managers than any other top club in the world (other than maybe Arsenal). They receive far more patience and excuses when things go wrong than they would just about anywhere else (both in the fanbase and the media who are very quick to throw all the blame on the players instead), as most recently seen by the fact that ETH is somehow still in the job with the support of most of the fanbase at the start of this season. Any other top club would have sacked him 8-10 months ago.

The criticism our players get is at another level than any other English team or the majority of teams in the world, but the Man Utd manager is actually a protected species to be honest.

Palmeri is an awful source, but apparently this guy is reliable for Inter news, confirming our (I'd say serious) interest

"Manchester United have been courting Simone #Inzaghi for months and a phone call (via an intermediary) also arrived recently. Given that a transfer would be impossible at this time, the Inter coach confirmed that he is very happy where he is."

Yeah, Biasin’s tweet adds context and makes more sense than Palmeri’s bomb! Inzaghi would be suited indeed, in that he basically works with the players the club gives him (so no half a billion needed to buy 4 or 5 new cornerstones), and Utd roster seems 352-oriented already (which is the best setup to stay safe and hide pace or quality issues).

Edit: if not Inzaghi, you know the next name available and suited… arise, Sir G.

Yeah, Biasin’s tweet adds context and makes more sense than Palmeri’s bomb! Inzaghi would be suited indeed, in that he basically works with the players the club gives him (so no half a billion needed to buy 4 or 5 new cornerstones), and Utd roster seems 352-oriented already (which is the best setup to stay safe and hide pace or quality issues).

Edit: if not Inzaghi, you know the next name available and suited… arise, Sir G.

If we’re going with a manager that likes a 3 at the back I would think Amorim is a far better fit than Gareth Southgate.

I translated some of the comments under the tweet, and some Inter fans seem to be expecting the current season to be Inzaghi's last one there. It would surprise me, but if there's a chance he really leaves, I think we'll be willing to wait until the summer to get him in. If Inzaghi would like to come to England, that is.

I was translating some of the comments under the tweet, and some Inter fans seem to be expecting the current season to be Inzaghi's last one at Inter. It would surprise me, but if there's a chance he really leaves, I think we'll be willing to wait until the summer to get him in. If Inzaghi would like to come to England, that is.

I don’t think we can afford to write off this season and wait until the summer to hire Inzaghi. If we go two seasons on the bounce without CL which is looking very likely we’ll take a £10m hit on the Adidas deal and failing to secure European football altogether could really leave us in the shit with PSR. I don’t know if someone like Ruud can be trusted to take the team over on an interim basis with this much of the season left to play, would be a big risk. We need a proper manager in right now.

I don’t think we can afford to write off this season and wait until the summer to hire Inzaghi. If we go two seasons on the bounce without CL which is looking very likely we’ll take a £10m hit on the Adidas deal and failing to secure European football altogether could really leave us in the shit with PSR. I don’t know if someone like Ruud can be trusted to take the team over on an interim basis with this much of the season left to play, would be a big risk. We need a proper manager in right now.

If ETH gets sacked soon, and Inzaghi emerges as the most suitable and best candidate for Ineos, I think they'd rather have Ruud/Hake see out the season and get Inzaghi then, if he's 100% going to join us then, rather than give a 2-3 year contract to somebody else now

Who on earth as voted for Carrick and RVN? Disaster waiting to happen.

Potter did fail at Chelsea, but the situation was fairly unique. A club and squad that was in complete turmoil with random signings, and taking over just a few weeks into the season.

Considering the circumstances you mention (turmoil (Boehly/Ineos), chaotic recruitment, few weeks into a season) are alive and well at United, it shows your endorsement of Potter is truly misinformed.

You got one thing right. Potter did indeed fail at Chelsea.

Ah yes, the Chelsea that have hired a Championship manager. And Liverpool who have hired someone who had never managed outside of Netherlands.

This one had been dealt with.

Chelsea have already hired Potter and won't be rehiring him.

Liverpool would not consider him for replacing Klopp, and, if Slot fails, won't consider Potter afterward.

Even if it's just for the rest of this season I expect he'd do a better job than ETH is, and then we could judge him properly at the end of the season.

His remit for doing 'better' than ten Hag would be winning a trophy and or finishing top four. He has never been able to do either during his career.

There's no point in hiring him as an interim, with a permanent view especially, unless he can meet such targets.

I appreciate you want EtH gone gone gone, but it's no excuse for such arrant complacency.

Who on earth as voted for Carrick and RVN? Disaster waiting to happen.

Same type who think about Potter, Southgate or 'anyone but EtH', I'd assume.

'Carrick has experience. Give him the Ineos structure and time....'

If ETH gets sacked soon, and Inzaghi emerges as the most suitable and best candidate for Ineos, I think they'd rather have Ruud/Hake see out the season and get Inzaghi then, if he's 100% going to join us then, rather than give a 2-3 year contract to somebody else now
Sounds most likely. Inzaghi would be my first choice. But I’d be happy to bring in Tuchel during the international break, if he’ll accept a short term contract and lay down some terms, if you get us top 4 and a decent cup run then you can lead the team next season.

Inzaghi, Amorim, Tuchel and McKenna for me. Anyone I'm fine with. Inzaghi and Amorim my preferred choices.