Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 100 10.2%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 16 1.6%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 44 4.5%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.3%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 52 5.3%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 23 2.3%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 168 17.1%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 20 2.0%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 134 13.7%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 167 17.0%
  • Xavi

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 62 6.3%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.2%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
You should allow the option to pick up to 3 managers to gauge which are the most popular. That list with so many unrealistic targets on and only one vote won't say much.

I voted Alonso as he's the best but if I had three votes I would probably vote for 1 or 2 realistic managers as well as I also like Inzaghi, McKenna, Hoenes, Iraola, Naglesman and Amorim.
I was thinking about multiple votes because just one indeed makes little sense.

I'm not saying he'd be my first choice, but there's a part of me that's interested to see how Thomas Frank would do. It would obviously be a big risk and a huge step up, but I'm curious what his ceiling is.

I also think that having PL experience as a player or manager is important. It's obviously not mandatory as neither Guardiola or Klopp had it, but I think one of the reasons Ten Hag has struggled is that he's never fully got to grips with the league.

Above all though, I don't want us to just get a caretaker in for the rest of the season and leave it till next year. It would feel too reminiscent of Rangnick. We'd essentially be writing off the season.

Reactions: Mr Pigeon
Some of those names sound good but few are realistic. Motta, Inzaghi and Nagelsmann were my top choices during the summer. Motta obviously isn't happening and Nagelsmann isn't leaving the German NT before the World Cup. Inzaghi has refused. Most of the rest are either mediocre, inexperienced, or just shite. I'm certain Xabi Alonso is set for Real Madrid.

Tuchel is the one. Not ideal, but that's what you get for doing nothing in the summer.

Tuchel is my choice personally and I think it would make sense to transition to a coach like him. He still wants his teams to press off the ball, so we wouldn't be completely abandoning what we've been doing, but he'd also emphasise keeping the ball more when winning it back and hopefully get us a bit more organised defensively.

I want us to be bold when picking the next manager. The likes of Pep, Klopp, Emery and Alonso have proven how essential a brilliant, modern manager is if you have serious aspirations in modern football.

Tuchel might be able to steady the ship but I doubt he will bring us back to the top. We need our own ‘Pep’ for that so I think we should go for whoever has the highest potential of the candidates.

That comes with a risk but so what? We don’t have much to lose and if the next manager fails, we sack him and start over until we find the right one. That’s what other clubs do successfully. I don’t see why we shouldn’t.

I want us to be bold when picking the next manager. The likes of Pep, Klopp, Emery and Alonso have proven how essential a brilliant, modern manager is if you have serious aspirations in modern football.

Tuchel might be able to steady the ship but I doubt he will bring us back to the top. We need our own ‘Pep’ for that so I think we should go for whoever has the highest potential of the candidates.

That comes with a risk but so what? We don’t have much to lose and if the next manager fails, we sack him and start over until we find the right one. That’s what other clubs do successfully. I don’t see why we shouldn’t.
But isn't that what most on here claimed ETH would be?

I'd like to see a manager that's not afraid to show some passion, someone who directs from the touchline, someone who accepts responsibility for his own mistakes, someone who praises or scornes the players during the match, someone who can envoque some passion in the players during the games, some one who can adapt to the oppositions play, someone whose is prepared to take a risk, someone who is so involved they feel like a 12th man.

Last edited:

Hiring ten Hag was supposed to identify the above. A positive, hungry, new-aged manager who would make us competitive in the modern era.

Went to shit, fast.

Amorim and Nagelsman maybe next summer. Alonso yes cause of Pool connections.

Nagelsman won't be available until after the world cup in 2026. He'd be available now if he was going to leave Germany for us before the world cup.

I don't even think the Liverpool connection would be a factor for Alonso, more the fact he's almost a certainty for two bigger jobs than us.

Hiring ten Hag was supposed to identify the above. A positive, hungry, new-aged manager who would make us competitive in the modern era.

Went to shit, fast.

This is the problem in trying to distill our managers into some sort of 'profile'.

Emery being on that list just proves it. Prior to the Villa move, he was essentially a busted flush having failed to impress at both Arsenal and PSG. His level was seen very much as Europa League.

So what? You dont stop trying because Ten Hag turned out badly.
You keep trying until you get it right.
So what? I was addressing the post - correctly. You keep trying because that's all you can do.

This forum was crying out for ETH as if he was a cert. Nobody is ever a cert.

Tuchel is my choice personally and I think it would make sense to transition to a coach like him. He still wants his teams to press off the ball, so we wouldn't be completely abandoning what we've been doing, but he'd also emphasise keeping the ball more when winning it back and hopefully get us a bit more organised defensively.

Yeah he got my vote purely my top two choices are waiting for Real Madrid and won't be leaving until after World Cup respectively

I know for certain managing in England is Tuchels priority.

But isn't that what most on here claimed ETH would be?
Yes, that’s what many of us hoped. He proved not to be though. That’s not a good reason for giving up on trying to identify the next big thing of managers. It’s still the only sensible thing to do.

Yes, that’s what many of us hoped. He proved not to be though. That’s not a good reason for giving up on trying to identify the next big thing of managers. It’s still the only sensible thing to do.
That's fair. I didn't know enough about him when everyone said he's the next cab off the rank I was just hopeful.

People really want Alonso? Surprising. 28 votes is a small sample size, but still.

Why is that surprising? He was one game away completing a treble last year with leverkusen. They finished the campaign as invincible and all with a team which hadn't won a bundesliga for 31 years.

He will be first choice for any top club who are looking for a new manager. If pep and ancelotti both leave at the end of the season id imagine they will be going head to head for his signature.

Why is that surprising? He was one game away completing a treble last year with leverkusen. They finished the campaign as invincible and all with a team which hadn't won a bundesliga for 31 years.

He will be first choice for any top club who are looking for a new manager. If pep and ancelotti both leave at the end of the season id imagine they will be going head to head for his signature.
It was their first ever Bundesliga title, I’m pretty damn sure.

I’d like Emery. There’s probably no chance he leaves before next summer though

There's a manager who took over a failing side that had been eliminated from the CL and Europa, then led them to the semi finals of the CL for the first time in 21 years. They beat Real Madrid 4-1, Juventus 2-1. He then completed the league double in his first season, and had consecutive league titles. He became the fastest manager in league history to reach 100 wins with that club, doing it in 128 matches. Since then, he moved to a bigger club and won 2 trophies with them, a club that hadn't won a trophy in almost 7 years. He followed that up by winning the league cup, a trophy they hadn't won in 8 years.

AA1rHPhx.img

I want someone proven in the PL.

I'm more interested to see how they do this year. Everyone has analysed his tactics in depth now he's had a break out season where he was 'the man'. He's done the hardest thing as a coach which is winning with an underdog (something many of the so called greatest managers have not done) but will he be a Ranieri, who has arguably the most impressive achievement in football but no one really thinks of as a great coach, or will he go on to have a great career.

There's a manager who took over a failing side that had been eliminated from the CL and Europa, then led them to the semi finals of the CL for the first time in 21 years. They beat Real Madrid 4-1, Juventus 2-1. He then completed the league double in his first season, and had consecutive league titles. He became the fastest manager in league history to reach 100 wins with that club, doing it in 128 matches. Since then, he moved to a bigger club and won 2 trophies with them, a club that hadn't won a trophy in almost 7 years. He followed that up by winning the league cup, a trophy they hadn't won in 8 years.

AA1rHPhx.img

I want someone proven in the PL.
Winning with the team that is expected to win the league isn't comparable to toppling a giant in Bayern.

Imagine if Liverpool had that opinion when they went for klopp or Chelsea with Jose.

Who's your premier league proven choice then?

Even in the summer I think it’s unlikely. He reportedly likes full control which our structure would not give him.
Yeah Emery strikes me as that type and his career sort of points towards it. The 2 bigger clubs he managed he failed at. Seems to suit the kind of clubs who are a tier down from the top who buy into his vision and making them compete like Seville and villa.

I'd like to see a manager that's not afraid to show some passion, someone who directs from the touchline, someone who accepts responsibility for his own mistakes, someone who praises or scornes the players during the match, someone who can envoque some passion in the players during the games, some one who can adapt to the oppositions play, someone whose is prepared to take a risk, someone who is so involved they feel like a 12th man.
This is exactly what we need. Someone with the guts to bollock praise coach tactic change players during a game. The best managers are also the most passionate

Unai Emery in the summer for me. No way he turns us down over not having full control over transfers (if that's even real).

Rejected by Simone Inzaghi according to Sport Italia

This Inter-fan journo is a complete, proven bulls*itter and yet well connected to his favorite team’s insiders. That said, we cannot really believe Utd asked Inzaghi to leave Inter immediately, do we?? It would be extremely…… Foolish? Desperate? Delusional? Inappropriate? Plainly stupid?

Not a very convincing bunch them options. Makes me more inclined to take a punt on someone like Hoeneß if we could pry him away mid-season.

Winning with the team that is expected to win the league isn't comparable to toppling a giant in Bayern.

Imagine if Liverpool had that opinion when they went for klopp or Chelsea with Jose.

Who's your premier league proven choice then?
No one, really. There's no one who can guarantee success, or no one who would even offer good odds. Probably anyone on the list above could be doing as well as Ten Hag, but that's not really saying much. Ten Hag ticked all the right boxes, and he's been shown to be out of ideas or otherwise. Kieran McKenna sounds all the right notes too, right now, but he also hasn't been proven in the league.

That's probably why they stuck with Ten Hag instead of sacking him last time: there just isn't a great option available. So it's the familiar conundrum of taking a punt and ending up with someone not good enough, or wait until that person is available. We will probably just end up on the manager merry-go-round, appoint, wait 3 years, sack, rinse and repeat.