Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 100 10.2%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 16 1.6%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 44 4.5%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.3%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 52 5.3%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 23 2.3%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 169 17.2%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 20 2.0%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 133 13.6%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 167 17.0%
  • Xavi

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 62 6.3%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.2%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
If Alonso is in the list , why not include Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti, even Sir Alex Ferguson (out of retirement) as choices as well?

1. Alonso
2. Nagellsmann
3. Iraola
4. Amorim
5. Van Nistelrooy

I could accept any of these 5. After LVG and Ten Hag I would be hesitant with another Dutch manager even if it's Van Nistelrooy but he could have an outside chance of being successful. Wouldn't mind him having an interim role.

Alonso is by far the surest thing out of the 5 options I selected. Nagelsmann and Iraola intrigue me as they seem to play football with mobility and speed.
Amorim I know little about but he clearly has a big reputation and will make the step up at some point to a big club.

We can't say there aren't options out there for us. The Director of Football, and CEO just needs to decide what style of football will suit us best over the next 5 seasons.

I think any of those 5 in my life could do a better job than Ten Hag this season. He doesn't learn from his mistakes and that kinda guy can't be our manager long term.

I'm not saying he'd be my first choice, but there's a part of me that's interested to see how Thomas Frank would do. It would obviously be a big risk and a huge step up, but I'm curious what his ceiling is.

I also think that having PL experience as a player or manager is important. It's obviously not mandatory as neither Guardiola or Klopp had it, but I think one of the reasons Ten Hag has struggled is that he's never fully got to grips with the league.

Above all though, I don't want us to just get a caretaker in for the rest of the season and leave it till next year. It would feel too reminiscent of Rangnick. We'd essentially be writing off the season.

I would have been happy with Frank in the summer, one because it wasn't Ten Hag anymore, and two because he's adaptable, he seems the kind of manager that will work with what he has and try to maximise that rather than be dogmatic in his approach. I think with such a Hodge podge squad he would do a good job. Whether he'd last the course is another matter.

He also seems like the kind of guy the leadership want, a head coach that works under a management structure rather than a manager that wants control.

But we're in interim country now, so it's most likely who will be available right now, which isn't a particularly inspiring pool.

Why are we considering RVN, outside of pure romanticism? His track record is farcical compared to other top managers

Why are we considering RVN, outside of pure romanticism? His track record is farcical compared to other top managers

It’s potentially Solskjaer part 2, isn’t it? I’d be genuinely amazed if Ineos, with their stated aim of hiring ‘best in class’ with each appointment, go for someone with a single season of managerial experience in another league.

Can't see us getting Hoeness or Inzaghi any time soon or Alonso ever. Think it's too soon for McKenna or Carrick and who knows if they ever get to the level needed. Wouldn't hate a hardass approach so Tuechel interests me. But in the end; may as well go for Amorim and see if he has the juice for a big club.

Reactions: Jippy
It’s potentially Solskjaer part 2, isn’t it? I’d be genuinely amazed if Ineos, with their stated aim of hiring ‘best in class’ with each appointment, go for someone with a single season of managerial experience in another league.
If he’s there as a 6 month caretaker whilst they get their guy, then fair fecks. If he’s there as a serious candidate I’d be genuinely flabbergasted

I would go with Potter. Available, native English speaker, has a plan, did great job with limited players. His Chelsea debacle can be put down to chaos in the number of players coming in and out. Difficult to implement a coherent style with your owner going nuts with wheeling and dealing. I would definitely give him a shot. Yes, he is a manager who failed at another EPL club. So did Emery.

Last edited:
If he takes over as interim, which is likely, and anyhow has a stellar few months, there will be a case for giving him a shot as a permanent. Unless we have someone else lined up

I want us to be bold when picking the next manager. The likes of Pep, Klopp, Emery and Alonso have proven how essential a brilliant, modern manager is if you have serious aspirations in modern football.

Tuchel might be able to steady the ship but I doubt he will bring us back to the top. We need our own ‘Pep’ for that so I think we should go for whoever has the highest potential of the candidates.

That comes with a risk but so what? We don’t have much to lose and if the next manager fails, we sack him and start over until we find the right one. That’s what other clubs do successfully. I don’t see why we shouldn’t.

When you include Emery in the first line and then reject Tuchel, it doesn't make a lot of sense. If Emery is a “brilliant, modern manager” then Tuchel must be, too. Emery has had more rough times than Tuchel and has not won a Champions League (or as many leagues).

I'm not going to check the ages, but I'm sure Tuchel is younger. His football is basically more “modern” than Emery’s.

No doubt Emery is an excellent manager, (+ Aston Villa as a club is set up to his specifications in every way), but Tuchel is in the same category as him, and it’s only recently that anyone would have put forward that Emery is better. Until then, Bayern's job, he was generally regarded as behind only Pep and Klopp (who he is younger than).

The caviat is Tuchel’s personality and the friction with transfers. He jostled for control, and when the signings don't work out, he claims he only wants to coach. It’s a majormissue with him and the clubs he works for. If he really did stick to coaching and ended up at a club with good recruitment he’d be in his element.

I would go with Ernesto Valvelde.
He did decent job at Barca and Bilbao always looks well-coached team unlike us.

Reactions: Invictus
This is the problem in trying to distill our managers into some sort of 'profile'.

Emery being on that list just proves it. Prior to the Villa move, he was essentially a busted flush having failed to impress at both Arsenal and PSG. His level was seen very much as Europa League.
But that is actually Emery's level even now..he is a great fit for midtable clubs (he won the Europe League against certain club from Manchester with Villarreal and even played a CL semifinal) but a top club is above his level as his periods at PSG and Arsenal suggest.

No one, really. There's no one who can guarantee success, or no one who would even offer good odds. Probably anyone on the list above could be doing as well as Ten Hag, but that's not really saying much. Ten Hag ticked all the right boxes, and he's been shown to be out of ideas or otherwise. Kieran McKenna sounds all the right notes too, right now, but he also hasn't been proven in the league.

That's probably why they stuck with Ten Hag instead of sacking him last time: there just isn't a great option available. So it's the familiar conundrum of taking a punt and ending up with someone not good enough, or wait until that person is available. We will probably just end up on the manager merry-go-round, appoint, wait 3 years, sack, rinse and repeat.
This is pretty much where we are, I'd argue that the cycle needs to be shorter even as Ten Hag should have been sacked last summer but there we are.
Hoeness or McKenna for me
I wouldn't have a problem with either but I fear whether they would get derailed by the big stars we have in the dressing room. There is also the issue of compensation, after paying off Ten Hag (8m to 17.5m, those are the figures being banded about) will we have enough to pay compensation for a manager?
If he takes over as interim, which is likely, and anyhow has a stellar few months, there will be a case for giving him a shot as a permanent. Unless we have someone else lined up
If he takes over as interim and does well we have to avoid the mistake we made with Ole (was it really a mistake) and wait till the novelty wears off. I'd have no problem giving him the permanent gig if he takes over now and achieves say top four and a couple of deep cup runs. What more would you want from a manager? He would have earned it.

I would go with Potter. Available, native English speaker, has a plan, did great job with limited players. His Chelsea debacle can be put down to chaos in the number of players coming in and out. Difficult to implement a coherent style with your owner going nuts with wheeling and dealing. I would definitely give him a shot. Yes, he is a manager who failed at another EPL club. So did Emery.
I would not be adverse to Potter, seems tactically sound, has a good relationship with Ashworth, seems more like a coach than a manager, as such, which seems to be what Berrada and Ashworth are looking for (supposedly)

Sadly Ten bob is done here and I get the feeling he knows he’s done here too, whether Potter will do a better job, who knows, but surely he can’t do any worse.

But that is actually Emery's level even now..he is a great fit for midtable clubs (he won the Europe League against certain club from Manchester with Villarreal and even played a CL semifinal) but a top club is above his level as his periods at PSG and Arsenal suggest.

That's my point. He's had a good 18 months at Villa and suddenly he's an example of a great modern manager.

I don't want someone who is going to live or die by playing football a particular, rigid way. That's how we end up spending hundreds of millions on his choice of player because apparently football management these days is like feeding a fussy toddler who can only survive on a particular brand of sausages and chicken nuggets or it throws a tantrum.

We need someone young, open, pragmatic who is willing to and capable of working and evolving with a team. Not someone who is going to insist on a narrowly defined 'brand' of football because we think having a manager like that makes us one of the cool kids.

I want someone who is going to learn from setbacks, not think the only reason we aren't winning is because the opposition rudely lack sufficient awe at his amazing tactical set up so we keep playing the same way until other teams learn some manners

Last edited:
I don't want someone who is going to live or die by playing football a particular, rigid way. That's how we end up spending hundreds of millions on his choice of player because apparently football management these days is like feeding a fussy toddler who can only survive on a particular brand of sausages and chicken nuggets or it throws a tantrum.

We need someone young, open, pragmatic who is willing to and capable of working and evolving with a team. Not someone who is going to insist on a narrowly defined 'brand' of football because we think having a manager like that makes us one of the cool kids.
Absolutely this. In the end EtH is going to blame not getting Frankie as the reason his plan can't work. Tailor your tactics to get the best out of the players you have.

I would not be adverse to Potter, seems tactically sound, has a good relationship with Ashworth, seems more like a coach than a manager, as such, which seems to be what Berrada and Ashworth are looking for (supposedly)

Sadly Ten bob is done here and I get the feeling he knows he’s done here too, whether Potter will do a better job, who knows, but surely he can’t do any worse.
It's bizarre to see some lump him in with Southgate. Potter ticks a lot of boxes and would likely do well in a head coach role.

I'm surprised with the lack of votes for Emery. I know he kinda failed at Arsenal, and I’m also a bit ambivalent when it comes to his personality (he appears as sore loser and scumbag) but his coaching and experience are second to none on this list except maybe Tuchel

I'm surprised with the lack of votes for Emery. I know he kinda failed at Arsenal, and I’m also a bit ambivalent when it comes to his personality (he appears as sore loser and scumbag) but his coaching and experience are second to none on this list except maybe Tuchel

Same.

He might not be the hipster choice but he knows the EPL well at this point and unlike ETH he had adapted his tactics to it. His transfers reflect that as well as he added British talent like Archer and Ilying Junior + EPL proven players such as Onana. That's important because that means that he won't expect the club to spend money :cough: new Ajax :cough: on his ex players only to find out that they are poorly suited for the EPL. Meanwhile his tactics would make full use of our current squad as well and he's got a proven record both in Europe and locally. In my opinion he's a non brainer.

Absolutely this. In the end EtH is going to blame not getting Frankie as the reason his plan can't work. Tailor your tactics to get the best out of the players you have.
Isn't that what ETH did when he came? Saying he couldn't play the way Ajax did because of the players we had and our dna. We need a clear football identity that goes through the club manager after manager. Have we not learned anything in the last 10 years

Gut feeling more than anything, but I think Potter would do much better here than people expect

However with the culture here, I firmly believe the best choice would be a manager who is already established. Someone who’ll be immediately respected.

Gut feeling more than anything, but I think Potter would do much better here than people expect

However with the culture here, I firmly believe the best choice would be a manager who is already established. Someone who’ll be immediately respected.
Same, I like Potter. We also know he's aligned with the higher ups too

It's bizarre to see some lump him in with Southgate. Potter ticks a lot of boxes and would likely do well in a head coach role.
He would be an unmitigated disaster, with senior players blanking him as he's done eff all of note.

His sole qualification is who he is mates with. Like Southgate.

We desperately need to get the hell away from such an approach.

He would be an unmitigated disaster, with senior players blanking him as he's done eff all of note.

:lol: If you were in any way right, that'd be pretty well worth watching.

He's tactically sound, sets his teams up well, and is very much a coach rather than a manager, which is an approach that makes far more sense with our shiny new backroom team.

Or if you just want a big name so that professional footballers can be trusted not to blank them, that's also an opinion.

Senior players? And exactly what have they done? Eff all...

I wonder what the poll was like when Ten Hag was appointed? Was he the redcafe favourite then?

For me it feels like a 'waste' of a vote to point on a guy who would have no reason to leave his current club and come to us.
I would definitely welcome him, but he's not coming.

I think we've seen over the last decade or so it doesn't matter how big a name a manager is, today's players are still capable of disrespect to the boss and club.

I could go along with Potter but I do worry he’s lacking charisma and charm that we are currently experiencing with ETH. Tactically, I think we would be much better under Potter as he would adjust for the players available rather that ETH

Amorim and Iraola are my picks. Wouldn’t be against Mckenna, Frank or Howe. Rest of the choices eg De Zerbi, Enrique are good coaches. But would struggle to implement their style of football with this squad.

Irrespective of the manager, we have to sign a new left back, left sided centre back, Casemiro replacement in the squad, Eriksen replacement in the squad, Rashford replacement and probably one more winger to replace Sancho, Greenwood and maybe Antony.

Maguire, Evans and Lindelof are surely on the way out at the end of the season too.

So the question is........ Which manager do you want to allow to have the next 6 signings?

My worry with Ten Hag is that he has too many failings for me to want to give him 5 or 6 new first team players. I'd rather we gave another manager the chance at this point to change the identity of the club and the starting lineup.

I want a powerful, quick and mobile team. Ten Hag is happily signing players that aren't that. Whether that's recruitment to blame or him I don't know. But I'd really like a manager that wants top quality players and not some that are good in some areas, like ball playing.

I hope the leadership are looking into which players other managers signed, which ones they actually played, and what kind of football they created.

We need it all, but Ten Hag at this point doesn't look like he's that. He has a plan A, but not a plan B or C. We need someone with more strengths than Ten Hag and less weaknesses. If that guy exists, then ok I'm all for it.

I wonder what the poll was like when Ten Hag was appointed? Was he the redcafe favourite then?
Yes he was. I was all in favour of him as well. Things don't always go to plan. I think 2+ years is sufficient time and the money he spent sufficient support for us to decide it is time to move on.

As far as I remember yes, he was top favorite, but it’s also because it was by far the strongest link in the media and in the spring it was quite clear he’d leave Ajax for us. I think Zidane was second in that poll, and now we don’t even think about him

He's tactically sound, sets his teams up well, and is very much a coach rather than a manager,

These are just empty phrases.

He's managed one top six club and it failed miserably. Absolutely nobody of note wants him. For good reason.

I reiterate: Potters' qualifications for the job are his nationality, and who he knows.

Recipe for disaster.

I think we've seen over the last decade or so it doesn't matter how big a name a manager is, today's players are still capable of disrespect to the boss and club.

If I was a United player and saw the likes of city, Arsenal, Liverpool even Chelsea pull away from us and the club presented Graham Potter as a solution to it, I'd be demotivated.

It's what happened at Chelsea. It's what will happen at ours.

For me it feels like a 'waste' of a vote to point on a guy who would have no reason to leave his current club and come to us.
I would definitely welcome him, but he's not coming.

Finally some sense. I was told by people on this forum that its dropping standards by talking common sense
As far as I remember yes, he was top favorite, but it’s also because it was by far the strongest link in the media and in the spring it was quite clear he’d leave Ajax for us. I think Zidane was second in that poll, and now we don’t even think about him

What’s happening with Zidane. He won 4 Champions leagues and then was like yeah I am done now. Thought he was going to get the PSG job at some point.

Emery is very unlikely to leave Villa, even for United IMO. The whole club is set up exactly to his spec, and I don't think we would (or should) do that for him. He’s absolutely at the right club for him, and I think he knows that.

We just get shot of them like we did Sancho. I think he or Southgate (touchwood) would surprise lots here and he is a better tactician than Southgate or Ten Hag. Give him a 2 +1 deal, if he fails it's easy to sack him and if he succeeds we have the security of an extra option.

What makes us unique this season is that we have options in-house for the likely rebels (Bruno, Rashford, Casemiro) which will allow us to freeze out whoever tries to act like a dickhead here. If we keep Ruud around or add another Fergie era former player as a coach he could help with keeping players in line.