Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 100 10.2%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 16 1.6%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 44 4.5%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.3%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 52 5.3%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 23 2.3%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 169 17.2%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 20 2.0%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 133 13.5%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 167 17.0%
  • Xavi

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 63 6.4%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.2%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
That, and the fact that both Allegri and Valverde have a tendency of bottling key matches in cup runs. Remember that 4-0 loss Barca suffered at the hands of Pool? Or when they lost 3 goal advantage against Roma? Valverde was in charge then.

Aside from that, they seem pretty decent in their leagues. However both Seria A and La Liga, aren't as competitive as the EPL so not sure how their talent would be implemented other here.

The only positive thing I can say is that SAF seems to rate Allegri(if reports are true). And while Moyes wasn't exactly pulling any trees, he did mention a year or so ago that Emery is building something interesting at Villa. So the man clearly has an eye for a good manager as well.

Ah yes he commented on US sports channel after they got slaughtered 5-1 at Newcastle last season, like you say whether these two can translate their form in Italy/Spain is a big question

My only concern with him was I thought he had quite a pragmatic defensive style, however maybe I am very wrong about that so feel free to correct me.
His Juve team were very boring to watch and his style would be a poor fit for the players we have at the club. It’s hard to imagine what vision Ineos could have for the club if Allegri were part of it.

That, and the fact that both Allegri and Valverde have a tendency of bottling key matches in cup runs. Remember that 4-0 loss Barca suffered at the hands of Pool? Or when they lost 3 goal advantage against Roma? Valverde was in charge then.

Aside from that, they seem pretty decent in their leagues. However both Seria A and La Liga, aren't as competitive as the EPL so not sure how their talent would be implemented other here.

The only positive thing I can say is that SAF seems to rate Allegri(if reports are true). And while Moyes wasn't exactly pulling any trees, he did mention a year or so ago that Emery is building something interesting at Villa. So the man clearly has an eye for a good manager as well.
Well he got 1 out of 2 right. We need to stop taking advice from former players/managers. Footballs changed a lot since fergies days.

His Juve team were very boring to watch and his style would be a poor fit for the players we have at the club. It’s hard to imagine what vision Ineos could have for the club if Allegri were part of it.

Who do you feel would be a good fit?

I honestly can’t see many good options. I’d take Tuchel for a spell, but I can’t say he’s without flaws. I think the lack of consensus around managerial options is telling.

The market for managers looks limited to the casual fan. Don’t think there was many on here touting Arne Slot as a great replacement for Klopp yet he seems to be fitting in quite nicely over there. There’s must be options in the market that aren’t going to be the obvious names.

I think the idea that we need a manager who has had top experience winning trophies is a silly one. We’ve had that as a check mark for all of our post Fergie appointments and while we have continue to win silverware, they’ve been very unsuccessful reigns.

We need to focus on other criteria when searching for the next manager.

I doubt Xabi Alonso will stay at Leverkusen for another season.

I reckon we will get an interim manager then go for both Xabi Alonso & Ancelotti - likely leaving with Ancelotti.

That's the only way the win the title by 2028 is possible - we get the most experienced winning manager or the best up and coming manager.

Ruben Amorim is a bit of a gamble but I wouldn't call him Ten Hag 2.0

Ten Hag pretty much got an Ajax team winning their league whilst Ruben Amorim got Sporting Lisbon winning their league after decades. Quite a big difference.

Also Ten Hag doesn't press with a 3 - 1 - 6. Ten Hag presses with a 424 - our fullbacks don't press they either stay defensively or move in to midfield. Amorim plays with wingbacks just to show this.

I think in order to win the title by 2028 we will -

1. Try for Xabi Alonso, Ancelotti & Zidane
2. If non are available then try for Ruben Amorim & Nagelsmann

The only worry I have is that managers like Zidane, Xabi Alonso, Ruben Amorim may see United as a graveyard for less experienced managers who have primarily succeeded under 1 club.

A bit like Potter at Chelsea - went from looking like a great up and coming manager at Brighton to someone who can hardly find a job after being sacked by Chelsea.

Ancelotti however is a multi club monster & would come to manage Utd as it won't effect his history. Nagelsmann has been successful at multiple clubs so I don't think It will effect his CV if he struggles at United.

I dont see Simeone or Inzaghi leaving their countries/clubs unless they are sacked.

I reckon Ancelotti is the most likely manager we will end up with but we will try entice the younger managers aswell.

Great piece on Sebastian Hoeness going over his tactical influences and why he would be a good fit for United -

Recently, I wrote an article discussing the current state of Manchester United and how many of the challenges they face are, in no small part, the result of Erik ten Hag’s management. In my opinion, his tenure as manager appears increasingly tenuous, with his future hinging on an urgent turnaround in form. If the team’s poor form persists, a managerial change seems not only possible but necessary.

In that piece, I explored potential replacements for ten Hag, weighing both high-profile candidates like Julian Nagelsmann and more unconventional options such as Thomas Frank. This follow-up leans towards the latter, delving into a lesser-known, yet intriguing figure: Sebastian Hoeneß.

For the average football fan, Hoeneß is not a household name — and that’s understandable. Currently managing VfB Stuttgart, he’s relatively new to the scene, with just five years of top-level managerial experience, having previously coached Bayern Munich’s second team and TSG Hoffenheim.

0*CnwDcegzcm9vcJr0.jpg

In the last 24 hours, James Roades from The Muppetiers mentioned Hoeneß as one of several long-term targets Manchester United are considering should they part ways with ten Hag. The 42-year-old German joins a shortlist of forward-thinking managers, including Kieran McKenna, Xabi Alonso, and Ruben Amorim, who represent a new generation of tactical innovators in European football.

Understandably, many United fans might feel apprehensive about someone like Hoeneß, questioning whether a manager with a relatively modest CV can handle what is arguably one of the most high-pressure jobs in football. After all, being United’s manager is often referred to as a “poisoned chalice,” and rightly so given the intense scrutiny and sky-high expectations accompanying the role.

However, it’s worth looking beyond the surface.

While the phrase “Sebastian Hoeneß, VfB Stuttgart manager” may not immediately inspire confidence, his achievements tell a different story. In his debut season, Hoeneß not only rescued Stuttgart from relegation but led them to an impressive 2nd-place finish the following year.

To put this in perspective, he outperformed heavyweights like Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, and RB Leipzig — all while working with significantly fewer resources. That kind of tactical nous and leadership should pique the interest of any club looking for a manager capable of overachieving in difficult circumstances.

Over the past 12 months, clubs like Bayern Munich and Chelsea have both reportedly shown interest in prying Sebastian Hoeneß away from Stuttgart, and it’s easy to see why. When you receive an endorsement from someone as influential as Lothar Matthäus, the interest is more than justified. Matthäus, a German football legend, has been vocal about Hoeneß’s potential, particularly when there was speculation surrounding Thomas Tuchel’s future at Bayern Munich earlier this year.

0*bODCKMksEO0GIdi-

“One person I would trust to take on the job of coaching Bayern Munich is Sebastian Hoeneß — if he gets the support from the club, and his name speaks for that. Hoeneß carries the Bayern gene and has done a good job as coach of the FCB second team. Even if he hasn’t had any major successes yet: everything he does in Stuttgart makes sense, and he is still on course for the Champions League with VfB.”

This endorsement from Matthäus isn’t just about legacy or family ties — it’s about Hoeneß’s growing reputation as a tactician. A deeper dive into Hoeneß’s methodologies reveals a manager whose influences and approach are both modern and meticulously crafted.

In a March interview with The Athletic, Hoeneß shared insights into his tactical inspirations, citing Roberto De Zerbi and Julian Nagelsmann as major influences. Having had direct access to both — De Zerbi during a visit to Brighton and Nagelsmann from his time overseeing Bayern’s academy team — Hoeneß would no doubt have taken valuable lessons from two highly innovative tactical managers.

However, it’s Pep Guardiola whom Hoeneß speaks of with the most admiration. During his pro-licence internship under Guardiola at Bayern, Hoeneß was exposed to what he described as Guardiola’s “incredible” football and tactical innovation.

Yet, Hoeneß’s style isn’t solely an extension of Guardiola’s methods. He also incorporates elements from his tenure at RB Leipzig, where he worked as a youth coach from 2014 to 2017. During that time, Hoeneß embraced the concept of “controlled chaos” — a philosophy synonymous with Leipzig’s high-intensity, fast-transition football. He has successfully blended these contrasting philosophies — Guardiola’s control and Leipzig’s chaotic aggression — into a cohesive and adaptive game model.

When analysing Sebastian Hoeneß’s game model at VfB Stuttgart from front to back, it’s evident why he is quickly becoming one of the most promising managers in football. The principles he’s learned from figures like Roberto De Zerbi, Julian Nagelsmann, and Pep Guardiola are exhibited in his team’s approach, which is both dynamic and meticulously structured.

0*YG6MG8qAe4TMvwmU.jpg

Hoeneß typically favours a 4–2–3–1 or 4–4–2 formation. While these setups are more noticeable when Stuttgart are out of possession, it’s in possession where his most innovative ideas come to life. Stuttgart’s attacking play is defined by fluidity and rotational flexibility, yet underpinned by positional discipline that allows for a well-defined framework. This blend of freedom and structure has become a hallmark of Hoeneß’s tactical approach.

Take, for example, Ermedin Demirović’s goal in Stuttgart’s stunning 5–1 victory over Borussia Dortmund. This passage of play encapsulated the balance between Hoeneß’s positionally disciplined structure and creative spontaneity.

Stuttgart’s fluid movement and intelligent rotations in attack showcased the influence of De Zerbi, particularly in the way they build out from the back. Through automatisms — pre-planned sequences of play ingrained through repetitive coaching — Hoeneß has developed a system that can quickly turn a simple build-up phase into a dangerous counter-attack.

For instance, the below video dissects how Hoeneß, through coaching automatisms, can effectively turn a simple phase of play, in a build-up situation, into a counter attack.

Automatisms are a method often employed by managers like De Zerbi and Antonio Conte, and when executed with precision, they are devastating. Stuttgart’s ability to break down opposition presses with calculated, automated patterns of play makes them one of the toughest teams in Europe to press.

If opponents sit back, Stuttgart can dismantle them with clever passing and movement. Press them, and Stuttgart’s precision in breaking the press can see them charge straight into the opposition’s box within seconds.

What makes Hoeneß particularly intriguing for Manchester United is the way he liberates his attacking players in the final third, allowing them to express themselves and play with freedom — an approach reminiscent of Guardiola’s.

Reflecting on his time with Pep, Hoeneß remarked, “I find that Spanish coaches have a completely different approach to football, it’s much more philosophical and focused on players enjoying their time on the ball. That’s why we play football, isn’t it?” He further emphasised the importance of “wild moments” as he encourages his players to make their own decisions when the time is right.

This philosophy would resonate deeply with United’s attacking talent. Players like Marcus Rashford, Alejandro Garnacho, Amad Diallo, and particularly Joshua Zirkzee — who has struggled to find his footing at Old Trafford — could thrive under Hoeneß’s guidance. His focus on allowing players the freedom to improvise and express creativity could unlock the full potential of United’s forward line.

Defensively, where Manchester United have faltered — especially given the alarmingly high xG they recently conceded against Tottenham (5.33) — Hoeneß’s Stuttgart have been far more robust.

His side presses aggressively, with compact spacing between the lines, ensuring that when they press high, they do so with cohesion and intent. United’s press, by contrast, has often looked disjointed, with large gaps between the defence and midfield, making it easy for opponents to exploit. Stuttgart, on the other hand, presses with intensity and purpose. Their compactness enables players to swarm opponents and win back possession swiftly, often leading to quick, decisive counter-attacks.

Last season, Stuttgart had the fourth-lowest PPDA (12.4), ranking them among the best in the Bundesliga for pressing intensity. They also registered the fifth-highest number of turnovers (300) and led the league with 11 high turnovers that directly resulted in goals. This relentless approach to regaining possession is a testament to Hoeneß’s coaching and tactical clarity, instilling in his players both the hunger to win the ball back and the intelligence to do so effectively.

When you consider the resources at Stuttgart’s disposal compared to the bigger clubs in Germany and Europe, Hoeneß’s ability to consistently punch above his weight is even more impressive. While no tactical system is perfect, his game model has proven successful, particularly over the last 12 months, and has clear potential, which suggests he is a manager on the rise.

For Manchester United, who would be looking for a manager to fit the vision of INEOS, Sebastian Hoeneß should be a top candidate. His effective game model, which effectively incorporates a blend of a variety of tactical ideas and principles could be exactly what United need to regain their footing in the modern game.

Tweets used in the article showing his principles -

Also speaks good English -

Time to get on the Seb Hoeness train, folks!

I doubt Xabi Alonso will stay at Leverkusen for another season.

I reckon we will get an interim manager then go for both Xabi Alonso & Ancelotti - likely leaving with Ancelotti.

That's the only way the win the title by 2028 is possible - we get the most experienced winning manager or the best up and coming manager.

Ruben Amorim is a bit of a gamble but I wouldn't call him Ten Hag 2.0

Ten Hag pretty much got an Ajax team winning their league whilst Ruben Amorim got Sporting Lisbon winning their league after decades. Quite a big difference.

Also Ten Hag doesn't press with a 3 - 1 - 6. Ten Hag presses with a 424 - our fullbacks don't press they either stay defensively or move in to midfield. Amorim plays with wingbacks just to show this.

I think in order to win the title by 2028 we will -

1. Try for Xabi Alonso, Ancelotti & Zidane
2. If non are available then try for Ruben Amorim & Nagelsmann

The only worry I have is that managers like Zidane, Xabi Alonso, Ruben Amorim may see United as a graveyard for less experienced managers who have primarily succeeded under 1 club.

A bit like Potter at Chelsea - went from looking like a great up and coming manager at Brighton to someone who can hardly find a job after being sacked by Chelsea.

Ancelotti however is a multi club monster & would come to manage Utd as it won't effect his history. Nagelsmann has been successful at multiple clubs so I don't think It will effect his CV if he struggles at United.

I dont see Simeone or Inzaghi leaving their countries/clubs unless they are sacked.

I reckon Ancelotti is the most likely manager we will end up with but we will try entice the younger managers aswell.
Ancelotti said multiple times Real Madrid is his last club.

Would still want Amorim as the next manager, young and been great since he started management. Seems to know how to make players better than spending money on a whole squad for it to work

I was against a Tuchel signing, but there are several things to consider. I doubt a club like United can take another risk in this position. You can try it once, but then you just need brutal class. Yes Tuchel will likely have a fallout with the manager or with parts of the press, but his base level is still higher than most others, he will very likely qualify for europe or reach some final, which is good enough for now and then you can change things again. I do think you can see the different approach in management, but another loser season would make the task tremendously harder i think and if there's actual trouble with Tuchel it could actually be a good to get more media attention, stay relevant and be able to keep working on the restructuring, get rid of players while the focus is on him.

ETH needs to go, but there is not another manager out there, that I believe will get these shit players playing good football.

Not even Guardiola or Klopp can get these players to play good football in the long run.

I actually think I just want a Mourinho type of coach who will hang the laze ass players out to dry.

For me it's still Tuchel. I hoped that Ten Hag will make it longer into the season so that Tuchel has had his sabbatical and is interested as I cannot see him having changed his mind after just 3 months.

There’s pros and cons to all types of managers and we are at a point now where we have tried them all. The winner; club legend; the philosopher; the hipster; the chosen one.

The only thing that really matters is that we hire someone who can implement a style that suits the current and future squad. Understands the demands of the EPL and has the charisma to get their
Haven’t heard United DNA mentioned in a while.

BUT - I think this is the key to the next managerial appointment.

The common thread connecting all our managers since Ferguson is that they are all high concept tactic managers. Exception is perhaps Ole but more on this below.

In short this sort of manager doesn’t suit Manchester United. Never has. Even pre-Ferguson. We cant splash out on the best players in the world and then try to shoehorn them into a system. This is not the United DNA. Give these same players a little freedom and inspiration and they will flourish.

So I would target someone on the inspirational side of the continuum rather than highly tactical. A level of tactical awareness should go without saying. Uniteds Zidane or Ancellotti. No idea who that might be.

Back to Ole - he was inspirational to an extent but lacked the gravitas, stature or reputation required. Also lacked the required tactical nous.

So sorry for digging up the old United DNA chestnut but I don’t think it can be ignored.
How about a high concept manager
He has done a good job at Brentford, but his football isn't as good to watch as Fulham’s or Brighton’s, which isn't the barometer exactly, but it puts his work in context. I prefer Silva’s football.
But it was in the championship - they were a possession based and high pressing, dominant team. If anything he’s showed that he knows how to adapt to win, and here he would obviously not have us play like Brentford do now.

We are in the gutter, it's not about getting a progressive style or plotting an assault on the PL title now. Its back to basics, stop the rot for a couple of years whilst getting the respectability back on the shirt and then look to poach the manager who can make us fight for the title.

Whichever way you look at it we are in the pits. So, it's important to get someone who can stabilize the club whilst sorting the issues in the squad - some preexisting and some we have recently loaded up like De Ligt and possibly Ugarte. Clearing up the squad will cost time and money. To make money we have to be in the CL and you don't need to be a tactical prodigy to crack top 4 in the PL.

So whilst Allegri could be a boring appointment he will at least have the tactical nous to get us in the mix for CL football. He could help us achieve the minimum requirements whilst we clear the squad, get the young guns to grow a bit and put us in a position where we can realistically plan for a title challenge, even if it's not with him.

There are various steps we need to take before we can consider ourselves a competitive outfit. These include getting rid of weak players, setting high performance standards, bringing in technically and physically competitive players to build a team that can compete on many fronts. When we have this baseline sorted that's when we can now start contemplating looking for a title winning manager.

Yeah he's had some tough times at Hull, Watford and Everton but looks to be rebuilding. Do you believe that he's capable of making the step up then?

I don’t know because the United job is the biggest and hardest, but I think he’s now in a phase of his career where he’s genuinely ready for a big job.

With the trend moving away from hiring ‘winners’, Silva is both young and experienced with multiple clubs and we can see he plays good football.

Personally, I like Iraola’s football the most of the newer coaches but Silva does have more experience, and that mix might help him deal with the United job.

We are in the gutter, it's not about getting a progressive style or plotting an assault on the PL title now. Its back to basics, stop the rot for a couple of years whilst getting the respectability back on the shirt and then look to poach the manager who can make us fight for the title.

Whichever way you look at it we are in the pits. So, it's important to get someone who can stabilize the club whilst sorting the issues in the squad - some preexisting and some we have recently loaded up like De Ligt and possibly Ugarte. Clearing up the squad will cost time and money. To make money we have to be in the CL and you don't need to be a tactical prodigy to crack top 4 in the PL.

So whilst Allegri could be a boring appointment he will at least have the tactical nous to get us in the mix for CL football. He could help us achieve the minimum requirements whilst we clear the squad, get the young guns to grow a bit and put us in a position where we can realistically plan for a title challenge, even if it's not with him.

There are various steps we need to take before we can consider ourselves a competitive outfit. These include getting rid of weak players, setting high performance standards, bringing in technically and physically competitive players to build a team that can compete on many fronts. When we have this baseline sorted that's when we can now start contemplating looking for a title winning manager.
Allegri would be a very bad appointment. His most recent three years at Juve were like watching a slug race. He is old school and would take us massively in the wrong direction.

It’s not just about good football. There are a decent number of managers that play good football. We need one that can also set up a defense

Warming to Xavi. Imagine the on screen love affair between him and Scholes that will ensue.

I couldn't disagree more. We have to get past this reactionary approach, where every time we get rid of a manager, we choose the polar opposite style to replace him, then try and rebuild most of the squad around this new manager. Only to see them fail because they don’t have a squad they can work with. Then onto the next manger, with the next squad rebuild and the next period of underperformance.

This is precisely why the club is continually in flux. It's resulted in a Frankenstein of a squad that doesn't suit any particular style of play, with numerous square pegs. It's resulted in a squad that never gets good at any one style of play. It’s why our deadwood list is always longer than our untouchables.

The next manager we pick has to have the style of play that we want for the foreseeable future, so we can buy the right players and train them the right way. And if that manager ends up failing, then we just upgrade the manager, not the entire squad.

I couldn't disagree more. We have to get past this reactionary approach, where every time we get rid of a manager, we choose the polar opposite style to replace him, then try and rebuild most of the squad around this new manager. Only to see them fail because they don’t have a squad they can work with. Then onto the next manger, with the next squad rebuild and the next period of underperformance.

This is precisely why the club is continually in flux. It's resulted in a Frankenstein of a squad that doesn't suit any particular style of play, with numerous square pegs. It's resulted in a squad that never gets good at any one style of play. It’s why our deadwood list is always longer than our untouchables.

The next manager we pick has to have the style of play that we want for the foreseeable future, so we can buy the right players and train them the right way. And if that manager ends up failing, then we just upgrade the manager, not the entire squad.
I believe that stylistic issues with players are mostly excuses for incompetence because top level players should be able to play most styles. It's only a few coaches like Guardiola who have specific needs for certain players but you can't tell me that if Klopp walked into the job today he would need three years and 600m to compete. Even Guardiola, wouldnt finish 8th with this side.

The role I am suggesting for the next guy is that of a prolonged caretaker until the summer of 26. Talented players suit most managers, we have a talented group low on self belief and being asked to fulfil idiotic tactical instructions. Get an experienced manager in, continue building the squad and getting rid of the undesirables and work to lure in the coach they want.

The problem is that we are not an attractive prospect for top managers or the best upcoming ones. We still have teething issues that need to be resolved and there is a chance that if we bring in a young manager he could lose his head trying to move us out of this mess.

Allegri, Velverde or Tuchel won't be an exciting appointment but will work professionally to stabilize us. When we get more stable then it's easier to see what can be done to take us up a level and by that time maybe we have a more attractive squad, we are in a better place prestige wise and financially in a stronger place to strengthen the team for a title challenge.

I believe that stylistic issues with players are mostly excuses for incompetence because top level players should be able to play most styles.
This statement is hard to follow. You think that, say, all top quality midfielders are more or less equally good at passing, tackling, shooting, etc as each other? Or that all defenders can play a high line equally well? Or that all strikers can hold up the ball?

I confess, when I see the mess of how we play, the thought of Allegri coming in to put some order in place is tempting but he's not exactly exciting and his last spell at Juve ended somewhat oddly. But as Quadrant noted above, the real goal, as stated by the new diretors, is to have a style of play that is consistent across the club and a first-team coach is hired to deliver on it. Our Under-18s are showing us the way so while I get the temptation to 'do something now' I don't want it to be a safe pair of hands or a coach with a strong identiy that is not in line with the style of play the new set up wants. Is that McKenna or Carrick more than Tuchel? I don't know, just have to trust Wilcox, SJR and co have a clue what they are doing.

This statement is hard to follow. You think that, say, all top quality midfielders are more or less equally good at passing, tackling, shooting, etc as each other? Or that all defenders can play a high line equally well? Or that all strikers can hold up the ball?
All top level managers can use any top level talent to create a team. Take Pep to Madrid, he won't demand a squad clear out and same as if you take him to United at the beginning of 2023-24 he wouldn't finish 8th. He will need specific talents, qualities to dominate though but to meet the basic requirements? No.

That's more to do with the fact many of us don't feel he's remotely realistic, just look at what he's building at Villa to see he has no reason to leave.

I feel conflicted on whether we should appoint an interim or permanent. IF we could somehow agree deal for Inzaghi/Amorim for the summer then would go interim. On the other hand if we can't then should look for permanent appointment like Tuchel or maybe someone looking to make that step up.
On paper ManUtd is always more attractive than Villa, but you're right why leave a team that's doing great overachieving to come to this shit circus we've became.

All top level managers can use any top level talent to create a team. Take Pep to Madrid, he won't demand a squad clear out and same as if you take him to United at the beginning of 2023-24 he wouldn't finish 8th. He will need specific talents, qualities to dominate though but to meet the basic requirements? No.
So you agree that even the best manager in the world needs specific talents to go beyond the basic requirements of assembling a functional team.

And yet you're suggesting that we should get a manager who even Juventus think is past his best, with a squad not suited to him, then not give him any of the kind of players he would want for the next two and a half seasons. How far do you think that could take us?

I confess, when I see the mess of how we play, the thought of Allegri coming in to put some order in place is tempting but he's not exactly exciting and his last spell at Juve ended somewhat oddly. But as Quadrant noted above, the real goal, as stated by the new diretors, is to have a style of play that is consistent across the club and a first-team coach is hired to deliver on it. Our Under-18s are showing us the way so while I get the temptation to 'do something now' I don't want it to be a safe pair of hands or a coach with a strong identiy that is not in line with the style of play the new set up wants. Is that McKenna or Carrick more than Tuchel? I don't know, just have to trust Wilcox, SJR and co have a clue what they are doing.
I agree broadly and wouldn't mind a project coach to come in and build our team through the levels from midtable to title challengers over four or five seasons. However we have bills to pay and we need to at least make the EL finals and top 4 now to ensure that we stay on track and are in the mix for big talents that will become available in the summer.

To be able to be in a position to challenge three or four years from now we need to achieve basic milestones today. We can't just let seasons go to waste because what we achieve this season will impact how much we can spend on the team next year and beyond and how we can keep hold of or attract talented players.

Also, between now and whatever time we can count ourselves ready there are things that need to be done, especially phasing out key players on big contracts who are not reliable.

Great piece on Sebastian Hoeness going over his tactical influences and why he would be a good fit for United -

Recently, I wrote an article discussing the current state of Manchester United and how many of the challenges they face are, in no small part, the result of Erik ten Hag’s management. In my opinion, his tenure as manager appears increasingly tenuous, with his future hinging on an urgent turnaround in form. If the team’s poor form persists, a managerial change seems not only possible but necessary.

In that piece, I explored potential replacements for ten Hag, weighing both high-profile candidates like Julian Nagelsmann and more unconventional options such as Thomas Frank. This follow-up leans towards the latter, delving into a lesser-known, yet intriguing figure: Sebastian Hoeneß.

For the average football fan, Hoeneß is not a household name — and that’s understandable. Currently managing VfB Stuttgart, he’s relatively new to the scene, with just five years of top-level managerial experience, having previously coached Bayern Munich’s second team and TSG Hoffenheim.

0*CnwDcegzcm9vcJr0.jpg

In the last 24 hours, James Roades from The Muppetiers mentioned Hoeneß as one of several long-term targets Manchester United are considering should they part ways with ten Hag. The 42-year-old German joins a shortlist of forward-thinking managers, including Kieran McKenna, Xabi Alonso, and Ruben Amorim, who represent a new generation of tactical innovators in European football.

Understandably, many United fans might feel apprehensive about someone like Hoeneß, questioning whether a manager with a relatively modest CV can handle what is arguably one of the most high-pressure jobs in football. After all, being United’s manager is often referred to as a “poisoned chalice,” and rightly so given the intense scrutiny and sky-high expectations accompanying the role.

While the phrase “Sebastian Hoeneß, VfB Stuttgart manager” may not immediately inspire confidence, his achievements tell a different story. In his debut season, Hoeneß not only rescued Stuttgart from relegation but led them to an impressive 2nd-place finish the following year.

To put this in perspective, he outperformed heavyweights like Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, and RB Leipzig — all while working with significantly fewer resources. That kind of tactical nous and leadership should pique the interest of any club looking for a manager capable of overachieving in difficult circumstances.

Over the past 12 months, clubs like Bayern Munich and Chelsea have both reportedly shown interest in prying Sebastian Hoeneß away from Stuttgart, and it’s easy to see why. When you receive an endorsement from someone as influential as Lothar Matthäus, the interest is more than justified. Matthäus, a German football legend, has been vocal about Hoeneß’s potential, particularly when there was speculation surrounding Thomas Tuchel’s future at Bayern Munich earlier this year.

0*bODCKMksEO0GIdi-

“One person I would trust to take on the job of coaching Bayern Munich is Sebastian Hoeneß — if he gets the support from the club, and his name speaks for that. Hoeneß carries the Bayern gene and has done a good job as coach of the FCB second team. Even if he hasn’t had any major successes yet: everything he does in Stuttgart makes sense, and he is still on course for the Champions League with VfB.”

This endorsement from Matthäus isn’t just about legacy or family ties — it’s about Hoeneß’s growing reputation as a tactician. A deeper dive into Hoeneß’s methodologies reveals a manager whose influences and approach are both modern and meticulously crafted.

In a March interview with The Athletic, Hoeneß shared insights into his tactical inspirations, citing Roberto De Zerbi and Julian Nagelsmann as major influences. Having had direct access to both — De Zerbi during a visit to Brighton and Nagelsmann from his time overseeing Bayern’s academy team — Hoeneß would no doubt have taken valuable lessons from two highly innovative tactical managers.

However, it’s Pep Guardiola whom Hoeneß speaks of with the most admiration. During his pro-licence internship under Guardiola at Bayern, Hoeneß was exposed to what he described as Guardiola’s “incredible” football and tactical innovation.

Yet, Hoeneß’s style isn’t solely an extension of Guardiola’s methods. He also incorporates elements from his tenure at RB Leipzig, where he worked as a youth coach from 2014 to 2017. During that time, Hoeneß embraced the concept of “controlled chaos” — a philosophy synonymous with Leipzig’s high-intensity, fast-transition football. He has successfully blended these contrasting philosophies — Guardiola’s control and Leipzig’s chaotic aggression — into a cohesive and adaptive game model.

When analysing Sebastian Hoeneß’s game model at VfB Stuttgart from front to back, it’s evident why he is quickly becoming one of the most promising managers in football. The principles he’s learned from figures like Roberto De Zerbi, Julian Nagelsmann, and Pep Guardiola are exhibited in his team’s approach, which is both dynamic and meticulously structured.

0*YG6MG8qAe4TMvwmU.jpg

Hoeneß typically favours a 4–2–3–1 or 4–4–2 formation. While these setups are more noticeable when Stuttgart are out of possession, it’s in possession where his most innovative ideas come to life. Stuttgart’s attacking play is defined by fluidity and rotational flexibility, yet underpinned by positional discipline that allows for a well-defined framework. This blend of freedom and structure has become a hallmark of Hoeneß’s tactical approach.

Take, for example, Ermedin Demirović’s goal in Stuttgart’s stunning 5–1 victory over Borussia Dortmund. This passage of play encapsulated the balance between Hoeneß’s positionally disciplined structure and creative spontaneity.

Stuttgart’s fluid movement and intelligent rotations in attack showcased the influence of De Zerbi, particularly in the way they build out from the back. Through automatisms — pre-planned sequences of play ingrained through repetitive coaching — Hoeneß has developed a system that can quickly turn a simple build-up phase into a dangerous counter-attack.

For instance, the below video dissects how Hoeneß, through coaching automatisms, can effectively turn a simple phase of play, in a build-up situation, into a counter attack.

Automatisms are a method often employed by managers like De Zerbi and Antonio Conte, and when executed with precision, they are devastating. Stuttgart’s ability to break down opposition presses with calculated, automated patterns of play makes them one of the toughest teams in Europe to press.

If opponents sit back, Stuttgart can dismantle them with clever passing and movement. Press them, and Stuttgart’s precision in breaking the press can see them charge straight into the opposition’s box within seconds.

What makes Hoeneß particularly intriguing for Manchester United is the way he liberates his attacking players in the final third, allowing them to express themselves and play with freedom — an approach reminiscent of Guardiola’s.

Reflecting on his time with Pep, Hoeneß remarked, “I find that Spanish coaches have a completely different approach to football, it’s much more philosophical and focused on players enjoying their time on the ball. That’s why we play football, isn’t it?” He further emphasised the importance of “wild moments” as he encourages his players to make their own decisions when the time is right.

This philosophy would resonate deeply with United’s attacking talent. Players like Marcus Rashford, Alejandro Garnacho, Amad Diallo, and particularly Joshua Zirkzee — who has struggled to find his footing at Old Trafford — could thrive under Hoeneß’s guidance. His focus on allowing players the freedom to improvise and express creativity could unlock the full potential of United’s forward line.

Defensively, where Manchester United have faltered — especially given the alarmingly high xG they recently conceded against Tottenham (5.33) — Hoeneß’s Stuttgart have been far more robust.

His side presses aggressively, with compact spacing between the lines, ensuring that when they press high, they do so with cohesion and intent. United’s press, by contrast, has often looked disjointed, with large gaps between the defence and midfield, making it easy for opponents to exploit. Stuttgart, on the other hand, presses with intensity and purpose. Their compactness enables players to swarm opponents and win back possession swiftly, often leading to quick, decisive counter-attacks.

Last season, Stuttgart had the fourth-lowest PPDA (12.4), ranking them among the best in the Bundesliga for pressing intensity. They also registered the fifth-highest number of turnovers (300) and led the league with 11 high turnovers that directly resulted in goals. This relentless approach to regaining possession is a testament to Hoeneß’s coaching and tactical clarity, instilling in his players both the hunger to win the ball back and the intelligence to do so effectively.

When you consider the resources at Stuttgart’s disposal compared to the bigger clubs in Germany and Europe, Hoeneß’s ability to consistently punch above his weight is even more impressive. While no tactical system is perfect, his game model has proven successful, particularly over the last 12 months, and has clear potential, which suggests he is a manager on the rise.

For Manchester United, who would be looking for a manager to fit the vision of INEOS, Sebastian Hoeneß should be a top candidate. His effective game model, which effectively incorporates a blend of a variety of tactical ideas and principles could be exactly what United need to regain their footing in the modern game.

I'm down for a good hipster choice. I know Ten Hag was a disastrous one but I still don't want to accept a Southgate/Potter/Tuchel outcome no matter how bad we've been (and yes I'm aware Tuchel doesn't deserved to be lumped with the other two, I just don't like the idea of him as our coach).

So you agree that even the best manager in the world needs specific talents to go beyond the basic requirements of assembling a functional team.

And yet you're suggesting that we should get a manager who even Juventus think is past his best, with a squad not suited to him, then not give him any of the kind of players he would want for the next two and a half seasons. How far do you think that could take us?
Yes and that's all we need for now. Do you remember Ole's 2020 team that later finished 3rd, it had major issues but Ole was mature enough to note it's limitations and achieve what he could doing basic stuff - park the bus and counter. Not exciting but it paid the bills and got us through. We then failed to upgrade after finishing second.

This is what I am suggesting, do the basics with an experienced head and earn price money to pay the bills, survive the storm but then, when it comes to signings, do it with the future in mind. Do you think Allegri would say no to Sesko? We won't win the title with him but he will ensure that as a team we stabilize around 4th and 5th.

0*CnwDcegzcm9vcJr0.jpg

0*bODCKMksEO0GIdi-

0*YG6MG8qAe4TMvwmU.jpg

Very glad to see him getting some recognition, I'm a big fan. Only problem is that he's from Hoeness family and his uncle Uli is a sicko

The idea of McKenna for the United job is absurd and up there with Southgate for me. The guy hasn’t won a single Premier League game and is too weak a personality for the job.

Yes and that's all we need for now. Do you remember Ole's 2020 team that later finished 3rd, it had major issues but Ole was mature enough to note it's limitations and achieve what he could doing basic stuff - park the bus and counter. Not exciting but it paid the bills and got us through. We then failed to upgrade after finishing second.

This is what I am suggesting, do the basics with an experienced head and earn price money to pay the bills, survive the storm but then, when it comes to signings, do it with the future in mind. Do you think Allegri would say no to Sesko? We won't win the title with him but he will ensure that as a team we stabilize around 4th and 5th.
Ole spent £400M on players that suited his style of management, because the £350M we spent under Jose left us with a team that didnt suit him. Then Ole's team didnt suit the next guy, so we spent another £600M trying to build a team to suit him. And during all that time, none of our managers has the squad they wanted. This cycle has to stop.

Mods, could we please have a poll about the preferred candidate for the next permanent manager? There are more and more links in the media, with the most likely candidates being:
Amorim, McKenna, Inzaghi, Potter, Southgate, Hoeness, Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Allegri, Tuchel, Frank, Marco Silva, de Zerbi, Iraola. You could add Nagelsmann, too, but he seems unlikely to leave German NT.