Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 103 10.4%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 45 4.5%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 53 5.3%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 24 2.4%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 170 17.1%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 131 13.2%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 172 17.3%
  • Xavi

Votes: 26 2.6%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 63 6.3%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.1%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Because of Ten Hag, Im more focused on coaches with strong defensive principles. I think it’s easy to find coaches that can play exciting attacking football but having a solid defensive structure is what will help us challenge for the league

If ETH does get the chop Im still all for Graham Potter. This squad could be set up for him to succeed too.

At Brighton there recruitment was good but he coached them into a good team , they were organised and entertaining. You cant take his Chelsea stint seriously as that was an absolute farce.

I would be confident he would impose his possession based style pretty quickly and that would be a big improvement on what we are seeing at the moment. I think his biggest problem would be Rashford and his lack of off the ball effort as his Brighton team worked their socks off. Could he handle the scrutiny of dropping him if required ? On the flip side though maybe an organised set up could reinvigorate Rashy.

Not sure he is glamorous enough for the majority of fans though but if you follow his career its pretty impressive in my opinion. De Zerbi feasted well off his fine work at Brighton. I would certainly prefer him over Southgate and I think at the moment they would be the two most viable options.

If ETH does get the chop Im still all for Graham Potter. This squad could be set up for him to succeed too.

At Brighton there recruitment was good but he coached them into a good team , they were organised and entertaining. You cant take his Chelsea stint seriously as that was an absolute farce.

I would be confident he would impose his possession based style pretty quickly and that would be a big improvement on what we are seeing at the moment. I think his biggest problem would be Rashford and his lack of off the ball effort as his Brighton team worked their socks off. Could he handle the scrutiny of dropping him if required ? On the flip side though maybe an organised set up could reinvigorate Rashy.

Not sure he is glamorous enough for the majority of fans though but if you follow his career its pretty impressive in my opinion. De Zerbi feasted well off his fine work at Brighton. I would certainly prefer him over Southgate and I think at the moment they would be the two most viable options.
I think we need a manager with some character, Potter is a wet flannel

I think Potter was sacked to take pressure off Boehly's wasteful spending spree. I think given time, he would have made the squad work a lot better than handing it off to a caretaker. With all that said, I'm glad we ended up with Maresca.

Because of Ten Hag, Im more focused on coaches with strong defensive principles. I think it’s easy to find coaches that can play exciting attacking football but having a solid defensive structure is what will help us challenge for the league
Our defense isn't as bad actually. We've been struggling to create chances and score goals. There is a reason we've finished on negative goal difference and score very few goals.

Think about it this way: how many 4-3, 3-2, 2-2 results we had under him. Not that many simply because we don't score any goals.

I think Potter was sacked to take pressure off Boehly's wasteful spending spree. I think given time, he would have made the squad work a lot better than handing it off to a caretaker. With all that said, I'm glad we ended up with Maresca.

No mate, we're not going to take another one of your flopps on board. You can't trick us again.

I think we need a manager with some character, Potter is a wet flannel
Nobody springs to mind though that would be readily available. I think De Zerbi has something about him but he has just joined Marseille and he benefitted a lot from Potters work. Tuchel is another but I dont think he is the right man.

I don't see any obvious proven candidates. Zidane is pie in the sky for a number of reasons, and probably not even the type of manager the current executive team at United would go for anyway. On a personal level he just doesn't appeal to me either. Tuchel I can see going horribly wrong within a fairly short time frame. He just seems a combustible type, maybe too much of a maverick or self-important kind of person to really cooperate at length with most people. Doesn't seem like a good fit for taking a long term project which I still think we need at United.

Then there is Alonso. He would probably want to move next season, and if Slot, Kompany and Ancelotti are all still going strong...maybe it's possible he would consider us if we're on a better trajectory by then? It feels really unlikely, but if the executive team had tangible reasons to think it was possible, then obviously they should pursue it. I wonder if they might dislike the gamble of waiting for him since we would likely be dead in the water, if any of his old clubs were looking to make a change at the same time. But then again, nothing is impossible. Leny Yoro. Remember Leny Yoro.

The other managers with a buzz around them like Hoeness, Inzaghi, maybe Amorim who people here seem to like a lot. I haven't looked enough at them to know whether they would be a good fit. My gut is telling me no on both Inzaghi and Amorim though. I can't help but think like they might struggle to adapt and also would need to make sweeping changes. Which doesn't sound so bad at the moment but still :lol:

I think it could have value to get a manager, who has experience in the Premier League. Especially in this situation where we perhaps don't have any outstanding candidates elsewhere, but have to look deeper and identify someone who is ready to take that next step. That leads me to looking at managers like Frank, Iraiola, McKenna and perhaps...Marco Silva? Howe doesn't seem likely at all given the reported issues with Ashworth. I also don't want to see him here for personal reasons, though I'll allow Newcastles style of football appeals to me. So for the others I looked at some statistics to get an idea of their recent track records.

Frank has been at Brentford for a long time and build them from the ground up as far as I can tell. If you go by the Wikipedia page he had pretty impressive seasons in the Championship after getting them going. In the last two seasons of the Premier Leageue he managed to finish 9th in 22/23 scoring 58 goals (exactly the same amount United scored.......:rolleyes:) with almost no difference between their xPTS and actual points won. In the same season his team also managed to take 17 points off the leagues final top six teams. I think that's pretty impressive, but it could be an outlier.
Last season they dropped off massively, finishing 16th with only 39 points. However, their xPTS was actually still decent at almost 53, which would have seen them finishing 11th. Also they actually had an xG of 64 which was about 5 higher than their previous, highly succesful season. Obviously defending matters too, but that was still the 8th highest xG in the league. That's without Ivan Toney, which probably also goes some way to explaining their underperformance in terms of goal output. Also it should be said that they only managed 6 points againt the final top six teams, so maybe the 22/23 does not indicate a pattern of overperformance for him in this regard. In the cup competions Brentford haven't really done much in the past couple of seasons. Ideally for a United manager I would want someone who had shown something more here. Maybe not Fergie Aberdeen levels but something at least. So that counts against him.

Iraiola hasn't been at Bournemouth that long, but they had a pretty good season. Finishing 13th with 48 points from an expected 53,5 seems solid enough. They scored 54 goals with an xG of 63,76, which coincidentally puts them just below Brentford in that table at 9th, so a pretty succesful attacking team. Their xGA was actually almost 5 higher than Brentfords though, which seems to indicate that they might have been a bit lucky last year. Also they barely managed any points against the top six teams, only 2 in total, and again nothing of note in cup competions. He did get Rayo Vallecano to the semi-finals of the Spanish cup though before he left for Bournemouth, so that's perhaps something.

Then there is Silva. His Fulham team finished 10th and 14th the past couple of years. In 22/23 they overperformed quite a bit, winning 52 points from an expected 39, scoring 55 goals with an xG of 48. Their xGA was a massive 71,5....yikes, top of the league :eek: That's prime De Gea levels of goalkeeping unless they just got extremely lucky. Last season their points differential compared to xPTS was much less noticeable, and their xG was 15th in the table. Not great on paper. They managed an improvement in their xGA, but it was still 14th in the table. Both seasons they took 7 points from the top six teams, and Silva managed to lead his team to some measure of cup succes in both seasons - a semifinal in the league cup last year and an FA cup quarter final in 22/23. That's something?

We have yet to see what McKenna can do (and chooses to do) in the Premier League, but his rise with Ipswich is something pretty special I think. 92 goals scored in the Championship, 96 points. Thats five goals more than Kompany's Burnley and only 5 points less in their first season with back to back promotions. Kompany's Bayern is looking pretty interesting so far, so...maybe United should consider going empowering someone like McKenna? Obviously, this is an extremely shallow argument. Bayern and United have very different squad profiles, the Premier League is a lot tougher and so on, but the romantic in me would be genuinely excited to him given the opportunity - especially given the historical and personal connections. Proper risk of course, but this is where the higher ups hopefully has not just the analytics but also the inside information to assess whether he is someone who is ready for that kind of challenge already.

Personally, I prefer the idea of going bold and getting a project manager like Frank or McKenna. I'll concede that might not be possible at United the way it was at Arsenal with Arteta for instance because of the added pressure. But I think if we went all in on a candidate like that, who had proper backing and patience, we could ride out short term issues as long as we could see an actual playstyle developing in the first year. Klopp and Arteta struggled in the beginning as well, but their ideas started shining through pretty quickly, and I think that would buy some time with both the fans, pundits and internally at United as well.

If I was to choose now, I would go with Thomas Frank. I think he brings some charisma, confidence and people skills to the job and he seems like a strong communicator as well. A bit like Klopp in that regard maybe? Brentford have been impressive given their ressource levels and he appears to have both tactical acumen and motivational skills too. I wouldn't have wanted him before, because I actually thought he would be the next Liverpool manager. Also his interviews after playing United have been pretty grating in the past. The lack of knockout tournament success is also not ideal, but I think we really need someone who can inject some energy into the squad, connect with the players and make us play some bold attacking football again. As an extra benefit, the financial risks of hiring Frank would probably be fairly low too. I doubt we would have to pay over the odds to get him, whereas I'm certain someone like Tuchel would require a massive contract to even consider taking the job.

At this point I don't even give a shit if we win trophies, I just don't wanna see us play such drab and boring football. I thought we were getting that with Ten Hag but he seems to have completely changed his footballing ideology/approach since joining us - or he's just not good enough to implement it here.

Going to pop a bottle or two once the sleepwalkers sack him. Would finally give this club some hope for the future.

I actually wouldn’t even mind Potter right now seeing where we are now with Ten Hag. Give Potter till the end of the season to surprise us all, if it doesn’t work out we get someone else in the summer.

I would go for Valverde, Iraola, Inzaghi and if possible, Tuchel (even though he doesn't strictly fit my remit). These are in terms of the names we know. I don't think Nagelsmann or Zidane are possible right now. Outside of these names, I think there are less known managers that can offer so much to our head coach position if given the opportunity.

Amorim is a bit of a risk for me because I don't trust successes had outside England, Italy or Spain. As one of the biggest clubs in the world, I think we can afford to set that kind of filter. These leagues are of a higher level, and that gap is extending every day. For me, this is the main reason Ten Hag has struggled for success at United. Its a much faster paced and physical league with better quality teams. Employing risky systems and getting success is possible in the Netherlands, Portugal or Scotland, if you're manager of Porto, Benfica, Sporting, Ajax, PSV or Celtic. I think that makes it difficult to truly assess a manager.

I'd much rather a flexible manager with a decent media presence (not a POS), than one who employs a fixed set up with limited flexibility. For me, of the managers we employed, the worst in terms of impact to the club have been LVG and Ten Hag. This has been because they are stubborn in their tactical approach, arrogant and poor man managers. Getting a manager who is able to be introspective, learn from errors and makes an effort to actually get along with the players and media is more important than people think. Ole's ability to do those things, despite not having much tactical knowledge, is what allowed him to find 2nd and 3rd, despite not having quality teams. I'm not saying we should hire a novice like Ole was, but that those factors should also be heavily considered when looking for a manager. How can we set a standard geared against selfish, egotistic and arrogant player behaviour, when our managers are even more culpable of those things.

Agreed - Iraola or Mckenna for me, though you'd think they'd want to see out the season at their current clubs.

Amorims release clause looks problematic and I believe there were issues over transfer control reported on when he was linked with the Chelsea job. I wouldn't want a Manager in sole charge of transfers ever again..

I think we could get McKenna out of Ipswich, but I not sure with Iraola and he edges it for me. If we sack ETH this early into the season then an interim CAN’T be an option as we need to do what we can to get in the CL. That’s why I think Tuchel is the most likely option.

Amorim wanting control of transfers is an issue, and one reason (along with the clause) that I don’t think we’d go for him.

- I remember when managers used to move between clubs midseason, but I can’t remember that happening for ages!

Source is Muppetiers so take with pinch of salt. Apparently McKenna, Amorim and Alonso are the frontrunners, with Hoeness, Inzaghi and Iraola seemingly on a tier below that.

Good list of names to be honest if to be believed. Not sure if Alonso would jump for it but who knows.

Muppetiers and the Daily Star. Not sure which is worse and that's saying something.

Source is Muppetiers so take with pinch of salt. Apparently McKenna, Amorim and Alonso are the frontrunners, with Hoeness, Inzaghi and Iraola seemingly on a tier below that.

Good list of names to be honest if to be believed. Not sure if Alonso would jump for it but who knows.

I would be happy with any of those.

I've never understood the idea of Zidane coming here.

He doesn't speak the language for one. His Madrid team was packed with top class players, and a still-relevant Ronaldo.

He'd have nowhere near the caliber of players here to work with. I honestly think if he came here, he would flop horribly.

Great list of names. Think they're all great managers. Alonso definitely my 1st choice but also probably the toughest to convince. That being said, early signs are he's probably not retaining the league title so might see now as a good time to jump. Honestly I'll back whoever INEOS choose though. It could be a much less well-known manager (I've heard very good things about Hoeneß). Marezca and Kompany are showing names that were scoffed at can succeed if they're the right fit. Fans certainly shouldn't be daft enough to still think that they know better after how terrible their judgement has been in relation to ETH. Certainly hope INEOS just go for who they think is best and ignore all the muppets.

Not convinced by Alonso, and I doubt he’d join us anyway. I also don’t think any of those 3 have the gravitas to take on the United job. But can beggars be choosers?

Not convinced by Alonso, and I doubt he’d join us anyway. I also don’t think any of those 3 have the gravitas to take on the United job. But can beggars be choosers?
Yeah I've never thought for a moment that a Champions League winner with Liverpool would ever want to come and manage us.

Yeah I've never thought for a moment that a Champions League winner with Liverpool would ever want to come and manage us.
People will point to Matt busby, but it was a different time. He isn’t going to ruin his reputation with the scousers (and his own as the worlds best up and coming coach) to take on an impossible job.

People will point to Matt busby, but it was a different time. He isn’t going to ruin his reputation with the scousers (and his own as the worlds best up and coming coach) to take on an impossible job.

Well there's only one way to find out, need to adopt a similar mentality to the Yoro transfer

Funny that. But you can’t got a page without people remind us to back the manger because Fergie didn’t win nothing in X amount of years.

I’m pretty sure Xabi Alonso wouldn’t lose any sleep worrying what Liverpool fans think if he gets the opportunity to manage the biggest club in England.

You guys :lol:

"Xavi", "Amorim", "Tuchel".

Meanwhile it's dripping out that SDB, Dan Ashworth and I would also wager Brexit Jim all want Southgate. Let's go :cool:

Apparently Brailsford is trying to convince people relegation gate could be a good fit, only good thing is this isn't coming from reliable source.

Stranger things have happened in football. Figo to Real, Owen to us.

While I do think Klopp has had a bond with the scousers, I alway felt that he was let down by their frugal management.

I also remember reading that he was a United fan before Woody decided to humiliate us with his Disneyland antics. Krautzun, who was his boss at Mainz, says that his dream job was to manage Manchester United. We'll never know until we try.

Link: https://www.besoccer.com/new/klopp-...but-there-is-more-passion-at-liverpool-309943

Not convinced? What!!

I'm guessing it's because of the Liverpool links and not his managerial quality, he has done unprecedented things at Leverkusen and is only 3 points behind Bayern so far with a long long way to go.

Don't disagree, but Chelsea are so much better with Maresca. Seems good tactically and he doesn't seem to take shit. United players would smell weakness with Potter.

I don't see any obvious proven candidates. Zidane is pie in the sky for a number of reasons, and probably not even the type of manager the current executive team at United would go for anyway. On a personal level he just doesn't appeal to me either. Tuchel I can see going horribly wrong within a fairly short time frame. He just seems a combustible type, maybe too much of a maverick or self-important kind of person to really cooperate at length with most people. Doesn't seem like a good fit for taking a long term project which I still think we need at United.

Then there is Alonso. He would probably want to move next season, and if Slot, Kompany and Ancelotti are all still going strong...maybe it's possible he would consider us if we're on a better trajectory by then? It feels really unlikely, but if the executive team had tangible reasons to think it was possible, then obviously they should pursue it. I wonder if they might dislike the gamble of waiting for him since we would likely be dead in the water, if any of his old clubs were looking to make a change at the same time. But then again, nothing is impossible. Leny Yoro. Remember Leny Yoro.

The other managers with a buzz around them like Hoeness, Inzaghi, maybe Amorim who people here seem to like a lot. I haven't looked enough at them to know whether they would be a good fit. My gut is telling me no on both Inzaghi and Amorim though. I can't help but think like they might struggle to adapt and also would need to make sweeping changes. Which doesn't sound so bad at the moment but still :lol:

I think it could have value to get a manager, who has experience in the Premier League. Especially in this situation where we perhaps don't have any outstanding candidates elsewhere, but have to look deeper and identify someone who is ready to take that next step. That leads me to looking at managers like Frank, Iraiola, McKenna and perhaps...Marco Silva? Howe doesn't seem likely at all given the reported issues with Ashworth. I also don't want to see him here for personal reasons, though I'll allow Newcastles style of football appeals to me. So for the others I looked at some statistics to get an idea of their recent track records.

Frank has been at Brentford for a long time and build them from the ground up as far as I can tell. If you go by the Wikipedia page he had pretty impressive seasons in the Championship after getting them going. In the last two seasons of the Premier Leageue he managed to finish 9th in 22/23 scoring 58 goals (exactly the same amount United scored.......:rolleyes:) with almost no difference between their xPTS and actual points won. In the same season his team also managed to take 17 points off the leagues final top six teams. I think that's pretty impressive, but it could be an outlier.
Last season they dropped off massively, finishing 16th with only 39 points. However, their xPTS was actually still decent at almost 53, which would have seen them finishing 11th. Also they actually had an xG of 64 which was about 5 higher than their previous, highly succesful season. Obviously defending matters too, but that was still the 8th highest xG in the league. That's without Ivan Toney, which probably also goes some way to explaining their underperformance in terms of goal output. Also it should be said that they only managed 6 points againt the final top six teams, so maybe the 22/23 does not indicate a pattern of overperformance for him in this regard. In the cup competions Brentford haven't really done much in the past couple of seasons. Ideally for a United manager I would want someone who had shown something more here. Maybe not Fergie Aberdeen levels but something at least. So that counts against him.

Iraiola hasn't been at Bournemouth that long, but they had a pretty good season. Finishing 13th with 48 points from an expected 53,5 seems solid enough. They scored 54 goals with an xG of 63,76, which coincidentally puts them just below Brentford in that table at 9th, so a pretty succesful attacking team. Their xGA was actually almost 5 higher than Brentfords though, which seems to indicate that they might have been a bit lucky last year. Also they barely managed any points against the top six teams, only 2 in total, and again nothing of note in cup competions. He did get Rayo Vallecano to the semi-finals of the Spanish cup though before he left for Bournemouth, so that's perhaps something.

Then there is Silva. His Fulham team finished 10th and 14th the past couple of years. In 22/23 they overperformed quite a bit, winning 52 points from an expected 39, scoring 55 goals with an xG of 48. Their xGA was a massive 71,5....yikes, top of the league :eek: That's prime De Gea levels of goalkeeping unless they just got extremely lucky. Last season their points differential compared to xPTS was much less noticeable, and their xG was 15th in the table. Not great on paper. They managed an improvement in their xGA, but it was still 14th in the table. Both seasons they took 7 points from the top six teams, and Silva managed to lead his team to some measure of cup succes in both seasons - a semifinal in the league cup last year and an FA cup quarter final in 22/23. That's something?

We have yet to see what McKenna can do (and chooses to do) in the Premier League, but his rise with Ipswich is something pretty special I think. 92 goals scored in the Championship, 96 points. Thats five goals more than Kompany's Burnley and only 5 points less in their first season with back to back promotions. Kompany's Bayern is looking pretty interesting so far, so...maybe United should consider going empowering someone like McKenna? Obviously, this is an extremely shallow argument. Bayern and United have very different squad profiles, the Premier League is a lot tougher and so on, but the romantic in me would be genuinely excited to him given the opportunity - especially given the historical and personal connections. Proper risk of course, but this is where the higher ups hopefully has not just the analytics but also the inside information to assess whether he is someone who is ready for that kind of challenge already.

Personally, I prefer the idea of going bold and getting a project manager like Frank or McKenna. I'll concede that might not be possible at United the way it was at Arsenal with Arteta for instance because of the added pressure. But I think if we went all in on a candidate like that, who had proper backing and patience, we could ride out short term issues as long as we could see an actual playstyle developing in the first year. Klopp and Arteta struggled in the beginning as well, but their ideas started shining through pretty quickly, and I think that would buy some time with both the fans, pundits and internally at United as well.

If I was to choose now, I would go with Thomas Frank. I think he brings some charisma, confidence and people skills to the job and he seems like a strong communicator as well. A bit like Klopp in that regard maybe? Brentford have been impressive given their ressource levels and he appears to have both tactical acumen and motivational skills too. I wouldn't have wanted him before, because I actually thought he would be the next Liverpool manager. Also his interviews after playing United have been pretty grating in the past. The lack of knockout tournament success is also not ideal, but I think we really need someone who can inject some energy into the squad, connect with the players and make us play some bold attacking football again. As an extra benefit, the financial risks of hiring Frank would probably be fairly low too. I doubt we would have to pay over the odds to get him, whereas I'm certain someone like Tuchel would require a massive contract to even consider taking the job.
Top top post mate. Thank you for taking the time to post such a long and thought out essay. I really enjoyed reading it.

Either Xavi or Tuchel.

I’m tired of us hiring up and coming inexperienced coaches with no character and personality who get swallowed up by the stature of this club and then get swallowed by the primadonnas at this club.

I want us to hire an experienced manager with big personality who take no shits from our pampered divas but also who’s tactically astute and isn’t negative ala conte or Mourinho.

Do you think hiring an Iraola or Frank or hoeness or McKenna have in them to give Rashford or Bruno or shaw a bollocking? Yeah, good luck with that. People here are mad.

Last edited:

Stay the feck away from him if it’s true. 11 years and can’t appoint one single good manager. Either we hire complete has beens or novices or shit on a stick ones. Not one progressive experienced manager in over a decade and the trend continues.

Stranger things have happened in football. Figo to Real, Owen to us.

While I do think Klopp has had a bond with the scousers, I alway felt that he was let down by their frugal management.

I also remember reading that he was a United fan before Woody decided to humiliate us with his Disneyland antics. Krautzun, who was his boss at Mainz, says that his dream job was to manage Manchester United. We'll never know until we try.

Link: https://www.besoccer.com/new/klopp-...but-there-is-more-passion-at-liverpool-309943

There is no chance in a million years he would torch his bridges with the scousers. Sadly the Toy Story puppet blew any hope of him ever managing this club with that joke of a pitch in 2015.

If none of these get the job can we finally blacklist the fecking Muppetiers?

The guy just flings shit at a wall, deletes whatever he gets cataclysmically wrong, and then points at the shit that is remotely accurate and says "As I posted earlier, which proves how ITK I am... Please pay attention to me..."

Allegri… that can’t be serious right?
Maybe he meant not convinced we could get him
Xabi is holding out for Madrid . Otherwise he would be perfectly the type of guy you would want.

I think Glasner could do really well coaching a top club. I do not think he is as married to formation as I’ve seen some imply. As with a lot of the more modern school of coaches, their primary concern is creating the right tempo and approach to the game. With one team… and one talent level, that may look different than with another.

I know Palace said they would charge 100m for a coach … but it seems unlikely they could actually hold on to him.