Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 103 10.4%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 45 4.5%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 53 5.3%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 24 2.4%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 170 17.1%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 131 13.2%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 172 17.3%
  • Xavi

Votes: 26 2.6%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 63 6.3%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.1%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Its a difficult one this. The next manager really needs to get us playing a clear style of football. I mean we need a manager that can coach a team to defend first.
We just need a setup where visiting teams are not waltzing through our midfield and defence like they are playing against the under 12s.

They need to do some serious work on sorting out their structure. Because this last year or so, it looks like theyre doing sweet FA in training.

he wanted very high levels of control to do with squad building
Except that as far as I know, not one reputable source has claimed this? Whereas it was actually an issue for Tuchel at Chelsea that he didn't want to interfere with things as much as Clearlake wanted him to? He's always been a head coach, first and foremost, not a guy who runs the football club on his own.

I see this "Tuchel wanted all the control" thing repeated on here every day, but to me it seems like nothing but another myth becoming a popular, and widely accepted take among posters, with no real basis behind it

We just need a setup where visiting teams are not waltzing through our midfield and defence like they are playing against the under 12s.

They need to do some serious work on sorting out their structure. Because this last year or so, it looks like theyre doing sweet FA in training.

Do you know what is the most annoying thing about this? The fact that any football manager can set up a team to defend. How many times over the years have we seen basic managers able to set a team up to defend?

Yet, a Manchester United manager cannot simply set up a defensive team, considering the fact that we are so poor on the ball. There is nothing this team is good at but making excuses.

Do you know what is the most annoying thing about this? The fact that any football manager can set up a team to defend. How many times over the years have we seen basic managers able to set a team up to defend?

Yet, a Manchester United manager cannot simply set up a defensive team, considering the fact that we are so poor on the ball. There is nothing this team is good at but making excuses.
it is rather amazing that you can't point to a single thing our team does well.

Not good at pressing
Not good at possesion
Not good at set pieces
Can't defend well
Can't attack well

Maybe the only thing you could point to is counter attack, but that too is debatable as we barely score any goals.

Is he feck. Apparently he didn't get it because he didn't want to work under the new structure/he wanted very high levels of control to do with squad building. Unless he's had a complete 180, which in itself would be a hugely questionable development, he won't be interviewed again by the guys that are currently in charge.
Obviously you’re far better informed than most others.

it is rather amazing that you can't point to a single thing our team does well.

Not good at pressing
Not good at possesion
Not good at set pieces
Can't defend
Can't attack

Maybe the only thing you could point to is counter attack, but that too is debatable as we barely score any goals.

Exactly. I mean we were very good at counter attacking but now, I dont think we are good at that also. We are good at excuses. That's all.

Ten Hag this season has taken no ownership at all.

Last season blamed injuries and said watch us be a different team when injuries are back... didnt happen.

I said it a few weeks back that the next 5 games will tell us if he survives or not... I hope the decision is taken quickly, there is no need for more evidence. This season, he was never going to be able to have such performances and get away with it.

Managed in Saudi Arabia, took Barcelona to a league and cup then got fired next season? How is that one of the best cvs?
It's more where the manager market is at the moment. Having won a Spanish league and cup puts him above the likes of Southgate, Potter, Amorim, McKenna, Ruud, and Frank as far as top level achievements are concerned. Would think only Tuchel beats him as far as honours are concerned and he doesn't seem to fit what the exec team want.

Iraola as head coach keep the assistant coaches this would work, maybe give RVN 4-6 games while we buy him out of Bournemouth contract. This can’t be more than £10m

You think Iraola wouldn't want to bring his own assistant coach?

Already done.

ten Hag is convinced he could get more out of this squad than currently. I guess we can entertain backing him in perpetuity?

Pretty obvious.

Because other teams don't have our mountains of sweet Glazer debt.

Of course the manager that built the squad thinks he can do better than this. That wasn't the point, but I'll help you out....

When interviewing the next managerial candidates, they need to know that talking about rebuilding etc isn't an excuse or an option going forward. They will be evaluated initially based on what they get out of this squad, so don't ask for the job if you can't do better. I'm confident there are many managers that could do better with what we have, and they themselves are probably sat at home watching us play and thinking the same thing..

Is he feck. Apparently he didn't get it because he didn't want to work under the new structure/he wanted very high levels of control to do with squad building. Unless he's had a complete 180, which in itself would be a hugely questionable development, he won't be interviewed again by the guys that are currently in charge.
“Apparently” the best source of all.

It's a while ago now, but what Potter did in Sweden is a level above McKenna getting a couple of promotions with Ipswich. The bloke took a team from the fourth tier to the knockout stages of the Europa. It's the kind of thing that otherwise only happens on FM.

But yeah, either way, overachieving at small clubs doesn't necessarily translate to managing a team like United.
We should be either focussing on Amorim or Inzaghi. Either of these 2 will probably take us to the next level. Inzaghi as a record of getting the best out of average players. Amorim would be a more exciting choice. Young manager, plays attractive football. I also think his system may suit our defenders, and hopefully he brings their ST with him.

It's more where the manager market is at the moment. Having won a Spanish league and cup puts him above the likes of Southgate, Potter, Amorim, McKenna, Ruud, and Frank as far as top level achievements are concerned. Would think only Tuchel beats him as far as honours are concerned and he doesn't seem to fit what the exec team want.
Out of that list I would hands down pick Amorim over the others.

All we really need is someone who can see the massive gaps we leave between players, realise that it makes us vulnerable when we lose the ball, and have players stay in their positions instead of this super convoluted "LB goes into midfield and midfielders hug the goalposts, wingers do backflips into the striker who is now playing deep" or whatever the feck our structure is. Ten Hag is the football equivalent of General Melchett in Blackadder, sending his men out to get destroyed whilst bah-ing like a madman.

Basically we just need a coach. Any coach will do at this point.

From 7:25 - 8:01

Southgate & Ruud aren’t serious contenders. Ruud wasn’t ready for the PSV job.

I’d prefer a more attack minded coach than Tuchel but can’t refuse given he’d obviously be an upgrade. Either way we need someone who can coach us to play possession footy and control games.
Xavi? He’s a far better manager than people’s opinion here about him.

Whoever it is needs to have the balls to make big decisions and to command the dressing room. I fear for someone like Potter and McKenna who have won nothing and will get eaten alive by the player power at United. A Xavi or Tuchel can at least point to their trophies and say been there, done that, do it my way or you're out.

Us as fans are to be blamed too, when Jose was here we critic him for setting the team up to defend.

The real question is what do we want as fans, because in morden football you can't have it both ways.

Its going to be Southgate isnt it. And I bet they bring him as interim to start with to ease us in like a 12 incher up our arses. Think about it. They interviewed and discussed all the managers that could have come in the summer and dismissed them. Are they now going to go to Tuchel, Tomas Frank, Potter etc and say oh you know we said no in summer and ETH was better but we changed our minds. Who does that leave? Southgate. He wasnt available so they thought stick with ETH and if not Southy is waiting in the wings

Can't support that appointment ever

Us as fans are to be blamed too, when Jose was here we critic him for setting the team up to defend.

The real question is what do we want as fans, because in morden football you can't have it both ways.

I mean its well and good setting up a team to defend but then dont concede goals. I remember the final Jose days where we were same to play against, we were quite open.

Do you recall Liverpool game away losing 3-0. Setting up to defend and shutting up the attack completely is one thing but then conceding chances and goals is another.

You guys :lol:

"Xavi", "Amorim", "Tuchel".

Meanwhile it's dripping out that SDB, Dan Ashworth and I would also wager Brexit Jim all want Southgate. Let's go :cool:

The latest bookies odds are horrifying: van Nistelrooy and Southgate the favourites.

If you guys were tasked with drawing up a five man shortlist, what would it look like?

The obvious answer is to go with Ruud for now and bring in the new manager in the summer. We can't allow a panic buy, so to speak, of Southgate.

The latest bookies odds are horrifying: van Nistelrooy and Southgate the favourites.

If you guys were tasked with drawing up a five man shortlist, what would it look like?
Southgate, Northgate, Eastgate, Westgate. Not sure about the fifth although maybe Watergate.

How deep is your knowledge about Carrick and McKenna in order to so confidently state what you state? Or about Potter and Southgate? You realize it's not only the guys who have already achieved big things and don't have empty CVs that are world class?

This is one of the most bizzare things ive ever read on internet. Managers should not be considered as world class until they have won things, isnt that obvious? You didnt think Moyes in 2013 was world class did you?

I think i basically want a ten hag clone. I think momentum is dead in the water and the knives are out so his time is up. But i want a manager with basically the same list of qualities.
I dont want a manager the players like, i want a disciplinarian - i think given half a chance they become quite lazy, quite fast and we need someone who's going to bang on incessantly about work rate and standards.
I want someone who'll continue backing our younger players and working with them. I think we have a good selection of them, I dont need more young players but i want and expect the next manager to make something of most of whats there at the moment (cant win them all).
I want us to play closer to a positional ajax like team than an ultra direct counter attack team. I feel like you lose the initiative and are stuck in a much more reactive state with a counter team. Mind you I'm fine with keeping it tight and hitting teams on the counter in one off cup matches where i think it works much better against teams of a similar level. I probably dont want an ideologue either way really.
I want our press stuff to be boring and unremarkable. I want to be able to ignore it which Ten Hag and Ole mostly managed but Mourinho definitely didn't. Van Gaal was probably interesting enough to be an asset but i'm not sure it helped in any meaningful way.

I think i basically want a ten hag clone. I think momentum is dead in the water and the knives are out so his time is up. But i want a manager with basically the same list of qualities.
I dont want a manager the players like, i want a disciplinarian - i think given half a chance they become quite lazy, quite fast and we need someone who's going to bang on incessantly about work rate and standards.
I want someone who'll continue backing our younger players and working with them. I think we have a good selection of them, I dont need more young players but i want and expect the next manager to make something of most of whats there at the moment (cant win them all).
I want us to play closer to a positional ajax like team than an ultra direct counter attack team. I feel like you lose the initiative and are stuck in a much more reactive state with a counter team. Mind you I'm fine with keeping it tight and hitting teams on the counter in one off cup matches where i think it works much better against teams of a similar level. I probably dont want an ideologue either way really.
I want our press stuff to be boring and unremarkable. I want to be able to ignore it which Ten Hag and Ole mostly managed but Mourinho definitely didn't. Van Gaal was probably interesting enough to be an asset but i'm not sure it helped in any meaningful way.

Sir there’s a second Ten Hag
0kektdpv1vm71.jpg

Let’s just throw suitcases full of cash at Ancelotti. Why the feck not?

There's absolutely no need to panic about Southgate. No reliable source ever claimed he was a likely name or even a candidate for the job.

The fanbase doesn't shut up about him either.
Southgate.Is.Not.A. Option.

Nonsense. See Arsenal.

Even if we said attacking there are ways to setup without leaving the back doors unlocked

This is one of the most bizzare things ive ever read on internet. Managers should not be considered as world class until they have won things, isnt that obvious? You didnt think Moyes in 2013 was world class did you?
Who said they should be? I said they shouldn't be definitely dismissed as not world class just because they don't have a good CV yet. You think Guardiola wasn't already "world class" at Barca B in 2007? Or Klopp at Mainz and Dortmund before winning a trophy?

Dismissing potential candidates just because they're early into their careers and haven't won anything is detrimental. Thankfully clubs don't actually apply this logic.