Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 104 10.4%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 46 4.6%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.2%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 53 5.3%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 171 17.1%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 130 13.0%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 172 17.2%
  • Xavi

Votes: 27 2.7%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 63 6.3%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.1%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I watched Bournemouth last night and they are way better coached than us, they attack with speed and creativity and they sold their main man to Spurs this summer just gone.

If ETH stands any chance he needs to rip up his philosophy and start again. Time for a change in formation, time to stop accomodating players in free roles to the detriment of the team, time to stop being so stubborn and drop players who deserve to be dropped, and time to start playing some exciting football. The current serving up is garbage and 84% of the cafe want him out now... is he brave enough to change or does he want the sack and a nice pay day, jury is out

People do not want potter and southgate yet quite happy at the idea of carrick and mckenna? Man united supporters trully undermine the size of their own club. Even Liverpool and Man City have only been dominating the english and europe football after they appointed world class managers with tonnes of experience. This club need an experienced head, someone with pedigree who can stand up and gain respect of their own players. The likes of Carrick and McKenna are still way below that order.

How deep is your knowledge about Carrick and McKenna in order to so confidently state what you state? Or about Potter and Southgate? You realize it's not only the guys who have already achieved big things and don't have empty CVs that are world class?

Its going to be Southgate isnt it. And I bet they bring him as interim to start with to ease us in like a 12 incher up our arses. Think about it. They interviewed and discussed all the managers that could have come in the summer and dismissed them. Are they now going to go to Tuchel, Tomas Frank, Potter etc and say oh you know we said no in summer and ETH was better but we changed our minds. Who does that leave? Southgate. He wasnt available so they thought stick with ETH and if not Southy is waiting in the wings

There's absolutely no need to panic about Southgate. No reliable source ever claimed he was a likely name or even a candidate for the job.

All we really need is someone who can see the massive gaps we leave between players, realise that it makes us vulnerable when we lose the ball, and have players stay in their positions instead of this super convoluted "LB goes into midfield and midfielders hug the goalposts, wingers do backflips into the striker who is now playing deep" or whatever the feck our structure is. Ten Hag is the football equivalent of General Melchett in Blackadder, sending his men out to get destroyed whilst bah-ing like a madman.

Basically we just need a coach. Any coach will do at this point.

As a Dane, I would love to have a Danish manager appointed. However, Thomas Frank is simply not a big club manager. Having followed Frank since his stint at Brøndby, he does not possess the leadership qualities needed to succeed. It would be a repeat of the cycles the previous managers have gone through with him eventually loosing the dressing room.
Thank you for that. I’m not sure that we can know if people have the right leadership qualities though - we don’t know exactly why other managers lost the dressing room and we’ve had all types of personalities from Mou to Ole. Also, I don’t buy that big clubs are so different - of course the pressure is much bigger and all that but the fundamentals are the same.

Edit: for example Tuchel is seen as a typical big club manager because of his stern demeanor and how he did at Dortmund but he loses the players time after time.
So you may be right about Frank but I don’t think there’s enough concrete arguments against him to not try him out given all the positives

You’d hope Ineos have been planning for this since they came in, and have been granting these signings based on the idea that another manager could use them if it came to that.

I just hope they don’t decide to do a full 180 on the style of play, and we need to spend another 5 windows buying and selling before we see anything.

Thank you for that. I’m not sure that we can know if people have the right leadership qualities though - we don’t know exactly why other managers lost the dressing room and we’ve had all types of personalities from Mou to Ole. Also, I don’t buy that big clubs are so different - of course the pressure is much bigger and all that but the fundamentals are the same.

Edit: for example Tuchel is seen as a typical big club manager because of his stern demeanor and how he did at Dortmund but he loses the players time after time.
So you may be right about Frank but I don’t think there’s enough concrete arguments against him to not try him out given all the positives
You are right. We cannot know for certain. My opinion is based on the more or less well-sourced stories over the past decade where players either loose faith in the manager due to lack of quality in training sessions (Ole), missing managerial credentials (Rangnick + Ole), poor team management (Mourinho + LvG). I find it difficult to believe the current squad would not find similar reasons during a rough patch under Frank.

Reactions: Cheimoon
I think my ideal appointment would be Iraola or McKenna. Both are looking very promising, and there is a dearth of experienced coaches (and nobody really is looking to hire those any more).

I still like Tuchel, and he is still reasonably young, but I can see why there are doubts about him. I could see him getting a much better tune out of Casemiro and Ugarte for starters, and we desperately need to tighten up the midfield.

Amorim’s record in Portugal is really outstanding, and I think our players could fit his system (not that I’m a big fan of three at the back), but I don’t think he’d come mid-season, and I’m not sure how his football would go down.

I watched Bournemouth last night and they are way better coached than us, they attack with speed and creativity and they sold their main man to Spurs this summer just gone.

I think this is the right sentiment to highlight the next coach.

It shouldn't be on the basis of "what has he won" but more what does he bring to the table that elevates the present first team and squad.

I would be far more confident in INEOS hiring someone who goes against the grain proving their own judgement and due diligence compared to announcing a Tuchel / Allegri.

As for the current circumstances Erik is done and dusted at United, last season was all the confirmation needed.

By all accounts a good manager can have a bad season but when the bottom reaches ground zero there's no coming back from that.

Regarding the £17m payoff for ETH. Even if that figure is correct, we won't just write a cheque for him the day he leaves. My understanding is that we just continue to pay his salary.

If he takes up a new job we stop paying him. If he doesn't the £17m is spread over the duration of his contract so it shouldn't be a problem for PSR.

Amorim on the other hand is said to have a release clause of €30m, this would be an issue for PSR if he was the preferred choice

The plan better not be an interim till the end of the season. There’s simply no coach currently working that will justify forfeiting a whole season to wait for

We need to have a commitment from the manager to play a certain style. We signed ten Hag to play a Ajax possession style game and he decided he was going to play transition football instead.

We need to have a commitment from the manager to play a certain style. We signed ten Hag to play a Ajax possession style game and he decided he was going to play transition football instead.
According to him he was instructed to play this way from the higher ups at the time.

Potter was in full politician mode when asked about United on Sky.

Refused to criticise Ten Hag's tactics when talking about the Spurs game. Refused to answer when asked if United had talked to him over the summer. Refused to answer if he'd be interested in the United job if it came up.
I genuinely don’t get the hype around Potter. He did a good job at Brighton but that’s it? How is that going to translate to United? At least McKenna had proved himself more but getting two promotions.

As dreadful as things are at the moment I genuinely think it's not worth making a change for another "also ran" type manager like Potter or Howe who don't have a record of winning a league / trophy and will be immediately undermined by the players that have seen off more renowned managers than them.

As usual there are some "flash in the pan" type managers with good agents trying to get themselves into the frame like Frank and De Zerbi - These would be an even more retrograde step.

We will just be back here 18months later with Potter or Howe...potentially 6 -12 months later with Frank or de Zerbi.

If we are going to make a change then it must be for someone with....

1. Proven record of winning a league trophy
  2. Record of managing in European football at knockout stages
  3. Can make the most of player resources
  4. Can promote and develop younger players

Realistically we are talking about a very small population of managers that meet this criteria and an even smaller pool that are currently available so we are probably looking at having to convince a manager to leave a side that might currently be fighting for a title or playing in the Champions League. The new Champions league format means many managers will want to hang around to see if they get into the top 8 positions so I can see us HAVING to wait until late January to bring in a better manager.

Hopefully the club has some other targets than ones they interviewed in the Summer - where it seems to me they were looking for a "cheap fix" and opted to stay with EtH as the cheapest option. Maybe they will be in a financial position to make a more ambitious appointment and agree a timeline with Amorim...for who to buy in the January window and then to potentially have him come over if Sporting don't make the latter stages of the champions league or are not in pole position for another league title.

I was for sure (wrongly) more patient than most on here. It literally makes zero sense to give him more games to see if things turn around. Far too many games lacking urgency and obvious 'structure'.

Dark days (again) indeed.....

Big Ange, at Celtic he got the side playing entertaining football won leagues I know it's a piece of piss for Celtic to win leagues.
At spurs he's got them playing entertaining football and done it with not a lot of investment and of the back of losing their best striker.
What it shows to me is he can implement his style of football, he's got personality, he hates his own fans for cheering when they lost.

Why is Xavi Hernandez not been spoken about in relation to the managers job. Has big club experience in a top league. Has a recognised style of play and brought young players through at Barca when they could not buy. has he ruled himself out as I dont understand why he is not in the conversation!
He’s shit?

Calling it:

If Team Glazer were still calling the shots, EtH would no longer be managing us.

Ineos are refusing to risk their neck on a new coach because they know there's nobody available who can surpass EtH's ceiling (top four and a trophy).

They might act soon but expect an interim. A few decent results will give some breathing space.

If they can lure a better coach they'll hire them unless EtH wins the league (he won't).

There's absolutely no need to panic about Southgate. No reliable source ever claimed he was a likely name or even a candidate for the job.

This won’t stop people worrying about it unfortunately.

Realistically, if it goes tits up vs Porto & Villa, its gonna be Ruud incharge for the forseeable future. I would be happy enough with that in the meantime as hes shown in recent years hes a good coach.

Going forward after that, im not too sure. I genuinely terrified INEOS have their heart set on Southgate.

Realistically, if it goes tits up vs Porto & Villa, its gonna be Ruud incharge for the forseeable future. I would be happy enough with that in the meantime as hes shown in recent years hes a good coach.

Going forward after that, im not too sure. I genuinely terrified INEOS have their heart set on Southgate.
Have you not read this thread? No credible source has ever linked the club to Southgate.

It’ll be none of them.

Reckon Tuchel is still the main target.
Is he feck. Apparently he didn't get it because he didn't want to work under the new structure/he wanted very high levels of control to do with squad building. Unless he's had a complete 180, which in itself would be a hugely questionable development, he won't be interviewed again by the guys that are currently in charge.

I genuinely don’t get the hype around Potter. He did a good job at Brighton but that’s it? How is that going to translate to United? At least McKenna had proved himself more but getting two promotions.
It's a while ago now, but what Potter did in Sweden is a level above McKenna getting a couple of promotions with Ipswich. The bloke took a team from the fourth tier to the knockout stages of the Europa. It's the kind of thing that otherwise only happens on FM.

But yeah, either way, overachieving at small clubs doesn't necessarily translate to managing a team like United.

Have you not read this thread? No credible source has ever linked the club to Southgate.

a comforting thought.. but there no denying there has been alot of talk about INEOS loving the idea of an englishman in charge, with Southgate and Potter's name being mentioned. I dont believe INEOS are that stupid though. It would be complete self sabotage to this 'new project' of theirs

It's a while ago now, but what Potter did in Sweden is a level above McKenna getting a couple of promotions with Ipswich. The bloke took a team from the fourth tier to the knockout stages of the Europa. It's the kind of thing that otherwise only happens on FM.

But yeah, either way, overachieving at small clubs doesn't necessarily translate to managing a team like United.

Its a difficult one this. The next manager really needs to get us playing a clear style of football. I mean we need a manager that can coach a team to defend first.

Yes he will - he won't be sacked until we inevitably lose on penalties in the Europa League final.
No Ruud by his own admission is still learning, he should start as interim after the Villa game, then when we appoint a new coach, keep him as the assistant coach and get him to work under the new New Coach.

If RVN does exceptionally well after 8-10 games just extend his interim period to the end of the season. It’s not Ricket science?

I think my ideal appointment would be Iraola or McKenna. Both are looking very promising, and there is a dearth of experienced coaches (and nobody really is looking to hire those any more).

I still like Tuchel, and he is still reasonably young, but I can see why there are doubts about him. I could see him getting a much better tune out of Casemiro and Ugarte for starters, and we desperately need to tighten up the midfield.

Amorim’s record in Portugal is really outstanding, and I think our players could fit his system (not that I’m a big fan of three at the back), but I don’t think he’d come mid-season, and I’m not sure how his football would go down.
Agreed - Iraola or Mckenna for me, though you'd think they'd want to see out the season at their current clubs.

Amorims release clause looks problematic and I believe there were issues over transfer control reported on when he was linked with the Chelsea job. I wouldn't want a Manager in sole charge of transfers ever again..

Think Tuchel or Nagelsmann (if we can convince him) would be my top options from the ones that are not tied to any club team currently.

I don't see us getting a manager from another club mid-season but my top choices from those would be Amorim or Luis Enrique (don't see this happening unfortunately).

Agreed - Iraola or Mckenna for me, though you'd think they'd want to see out the season at their current clubs.

Amorims release clause looks problematic and I believe there were issues over transfer control reported on when he was linked with the Chelsea job. I wouldn't want a Manager in sole charge of transfers ever again..
Iraola as head coach keep the assistant coaches this would work, maybe give RVN 4-6 games while we buy him out of Bournemouth contract. This can’t be more than £10m