Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 103 10.4%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 44 4.5%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.3%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 53 5.4%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 23 2.3%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 168 17.0%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 21 2.1%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 132 13.4%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 169 17.1%
  • Xavi

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 62 6.3%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 51 5.2%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
If you're going to try someone like McKenna I think you have to do it from the beginning of the season and give them a full preseason.

A more experienced candidate would stand a better chance this early in the season and have a chance of top 4.

I know I've been banging the Tuchel drum but I see him as an impact manager and that's precisely what Utd need right now. He signed an 18 month contract when he took over from Lampard so I don't know why he wouldn't do the same now.

First, why hasn't any of the other, bigger teams picked him up yet? Liverpool got Slot instead, Tottenham opted for Ange and Chelsea appointed a Championship coach. Villa, Brighton, perhaps even Newcastle or West Ham. That's a lot of bigger clubs choosing someone else it seems. It doesn't necessarily mean there is something wrong with him that we're not seeing, but it's worth considering I think.
As you say that doesn’t really tell us much. But if I were to guess I think that Frank is very honest when he says that he’s happy at Brentford. He’s smart and knows what he’s got there - a well run club where he’s already a living legend. So it might very well be that he had offers but turned them down, maybe even before it came to actual negotiations.
I think he waits for a truly big club where he can see potential and have the required influence on decisions - which in his case is not all the power, but a clear mandate to manage the team and good relations with the sporting director and others. If we would offer that to him, I’m sure he’d accept.

Love Fergie forever, but I think we can stop putting too much stock in his manager suggestions.

If Fergie suggests a manager, we should do the opposite. Allegri is so far behind the current crop or managers, it would be silly to hire someone like him. Look at the difference in the Juve team from last season to this.

The good thing is I doubt Ashworth would go for that kind of manager. We have seen our board suggest it is a style of play we want to focus on and the manager should fit the style. Look at where he has been and the hires, likes of Eddie Howe etc..

I don't think it will be Tuchel, he wants more autonomy over transfers than the board are willing to give, they'll want a manager who is basically completely in alignment with them.
Hoeneß, Inzaghi and McKenna are the 3 that I think they will pursue. Only Brailsford is keen on Southgate, the rest of the board have major doubts and don't want the fan backlash that will come with it.

I wouldn’t say Ten Hag is overly arrogant. Stubborn, yes. But I think both impressions stem from a limited ability to empathise. I would actually place him quite a lot further along the autistic spectrum than most - obviously only going off his TV interviews.

I’ve also found his English language ability pretty remarkable from day one. I’ve lived in Holland and for a guy with his background it’s surprisingly poor. It’s a very high bar there of course.

Have you seen the press conferences from the end of last season to now.
Or the fact he constantly says that people told him not to take the job but he did.
Or the fact that he said he'll take his trophy winning abilities elsewhere

He is really arrogant, but for some reason people don't actually listen to anything he says.

Love Fergie forever, but I think we can stop putting too much stock in his manager suggestions.
I think we can stop putting any stocks in his manager siggestions

Allegri's second spell at Juve was a train wreck. He is the second to last person we should consider. Last is still fecking Southgate

They are waiting for Nagelsmann
I sure as hell hope so. Doubt Nagelsman will agree

Have you seen the press conferences from the end of last season to now.
Or the fact he constantly says that people told him not to take the job but he did.
Or the fact that he said he'll take his trophy winning abilities elsewhere

He is really arrogant, but for some reason people don't actually listen to anything he says.
Most successful, rich people are arrogant. How is that surprising? I don't care if he is a borderline sociopath if he is winning.

The problem is that he is not winning, who cares about his personality

Most successful, rich people are arrogant. How is that surprising? I don't care if he is a borderline sociopath if he is winning.

The problem is that he is not winning, who cares about his personality
I mean in EtH case his contribution to being rich is mainly being born in a very rich family. I believe that’s the reason why he’s so entitled and why he always shifts the blame to others

Hasn't Nagelsmann signed to for the next WC? No chance we wait that long. If he was Pep level then maybe, but I think there's other good or possibly better options.
He'd be my top choice usually but if he's already committed himself to the German NT for the world cup then we'll have to go elsewhere.

Inzaghi or Tuchel would be my preferred options in that circumstance.

Amorim is an intriguing one I'll say though.

We need to steer very clear of Allegri mark my words...

Not convinced? What!!

I'm guessing it's because of the Liverpool links and not his managerial quality, he has done unprecedented things at Leverkusen and is only 3 points behind Bayern so far with a long long way to go.

Not convinced with Xabi Alonso?

What does it take to convince you then?
I’m just saying there’s been plenty of managers who get a team playing well, they gain all sorts of momentum and then anything can happen. Look at Jardim at Monaco, or Ranieri at Leicester. It doesn’t necessarily mean they can replicate it elsewhere, it’s just lightning in a bottle.

His second season will tell us a fair bit about whether or not he’s a flash in the pan.

Hasn't Nagelsmann signed to for the next WC? No chance we wait that long. If he was Pep level then maybe, but I think there's other good or possibly better options.
One of the German lads said he’s got small kids to his ex so leaving Germany at this point is a no go for him.

I’m just saying there’s been plenty of managers who get a team playing well, they gain all sorts of momentum and then anything can happen. Look at Jardim at Monaco, or Ranieri at Leicester. It doesn’t necessarily mean they can replicate it elsewhere, it’s just lightning in a bottle.

His second season will tell us a fair bit about whether or not he’s a flash in the pan.
It's not going too badly. 6 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss.

I do think Bayern will be difficult for them to stop this season though. A new manager and extra motivation after last season. Leverkusen were fortunate to get a point in Munich.

But at least the monkey is off their back now in terms of going undefeated so long. 12 defeats from almost 2 years worth of games (100) indicates that he is the real deal.

I mean in EtH case his contribution to being rich is mainly being born in a very rich family. I believe that’s the reason why he’s so entitled and why he always shifts the blame to others
Well, I am sure his United salary also makes him what would most consider rich, not to mention that he made good money both at Ajax and when he was a player

But yea, coming from oil money makes him filthy rich not just rich

Personality is a huge factor in this game, especially as a manager.
Newsflash: most, if not all, top managers are arrogant assholes. You think Sir Alex was a sweetheart? Or Pep is? Ha!

Newsflash: Most if nota all top managers are arrogant assholes. You think Sir Alex was a sweetheart? Or Pep is? Ha!
You'll find that their true colours only show after a defeat. Psychopaths.

Klopp is all smiles and jokes until he loses.

Well, I am sure his United salary also makes him what would most consider rich, not to mention that he made good money both at Ajax and when he was a player

But yea, coming from oil money makes him filthy rich not just rich
That’s true 100% and without a doubt, what I meant is that he shows the traits I’ve often seen among people that were born filthy rich and with no pressure compared to those who got rich. It’s a way different mindset

That’s true 100% and without a doubt, what I meant is that he shows the traits I’ve often seen among people that were born filthy rich and with no pressure compared to those who got rich. It’s a way different mindset
Yeap, makes sense. I think coming from money is also part of why he is always so mellow and lacks emotional expression, which results him having very little charisma, something he has been criticized for

We will have Ruud as an interim whilst they look for a new manager, and they might have to wait until the end of the season to get their pick.

I still find it hard to believe club would go for Southgate, if he started now he’d be gone by the end of the season.

ETH is first manager we appointed post SAF whose career wasn’t in decline/stagnation. It hasn’t worked out but eventually we are going to get it right, no idea when though.

As you say that doesn’t really tell us much. But if I were to guess I think that Frank is very honest when he says that he’s happy at Brentford. He’s smart and knows what he’s got there - a well run club where he’s already a living legend. So it might very well be that he had offers but turned them down, maybe even before it came to actual negotiations.
I think he waits for a truly big club where he can see potential and have the required influence on decisions - which in his case is not all the power, but a clear mandate to manage the team and good relations with the sporting director and others. If we would offer that to him, I’m sure he’d accept.
Yeah, maybe. He seems like a very grounded guy, so maybe he is truly happy to stay at Brentford and, with respect, stay a big fish in small pond. I think there was some talk about Chelsea recently, but that would have been a terrible fit for him I think. Still surprised he didn't seem to be considered for the Liverpool job, but these things are so black boxed most of the time that it's difficult to say much about what actually happened.

If you're right in your assessment of his character, I would be even more interested in him coming here.

Source is Muppetiers so take with pinch of salt. Apparently McKenna, Amorim and Alonso are the frontrunners, with Hoeness, Inzaghi and Iraola seemingly on a tier below that.

Good list of names to be honest if to be believed. Not sure if Alonso would jump for it but who knows.

No Xavi?

How was Ruud in PSV? I admit that i don't know anything about him as manager.
Is he tactical type? Attacking? Defensive?

How was Ruud in PSV? I admit that i don't know anything about him as manager.
Is he tactical type? Attacking? Defensive?
Take this with a pinch of salt as I didn't watch much myself, but I asked that question here a few months ago and got some pretty unanimous responses.
It was apparently hard to discern any form of tactical identity or especially attractive play, but results wise he did okay, coming second in the league and winning the cup. He also apparently ended up having a strained relationship with some players and staff at the end.

Stranger things have happened in football. Figo to Real, Owen to us.

While I do think Klopp has had a bond with the scousers, I alway felt that he was let down by their frugal management.

I also remember reading that he was a United fan before Woody decided to humiliate us with his Disneyland antics. Krautzun, who was his boss at Mainz, says that his dream job was to manage Manchester United. We'll never know until we try.

Link: https://www.besoccer.com/new/klopp-...but-there-is-more-passion-at-liverpool-309943
I was talking about alonso, but I’d say klopp is even less likely than that. I’d love to see it though, just for the Mersey meltdown that would come after.

Take this with a pinch of salt as I didn't watch much myself, but I asked that question here a few months ago and got some pretty unanimous responses.
It was apparently hard to discern any form of tactical identity or especially attractive play, but results wise he did okay, coming second in the league and winning the cup. He also apparently ended up having a strained relationship with some players and staff at the end.
Sounds like a carbon copy of ETH!

Source is Muppetiers so take with pinch of salt. Apparently McKenna, Amorim and Alonso are the frontrunners, with Hoeness, Inzaghi and Iraola seemingly on a tier below that.

Good list of names to be honest if to be believed. Not sure if Alonso would jump for it but who knows.

surprisingly good list of candidates, wow. I'd be quite happy with Amorim and Iraola, over the moon with Alonso (and that would show that we still have a giant pull as a club), and happy with Hoeness. Inzaghi I don't think will come here and with McKenna I'm on the side it's a bit early to bring him in, although if we decide to give him a chance I will not be in despair, he's potentially very good.

I asked about Ruud, not Erik.

:)

Something from the manager to the coaching staff/ training methods is seriously lacking, we could do with someone top level to come in as a consultant and audit our methods(similar to ragnick), there must be something fairly fundamentally wrong as we never improve players, they just steadily decline after joining us, lose the ability to pass and lack the understanding to play together. I'd imagine this could only be done between managers as they wouldn't stand the criticism. God forbid but someone like klopp would probably identify failings in our training and point us in the right direction pretty quickly.