Life after ETH — the next United manager

If he can lose all the time because of injuries then why can’t ten Hag? You have to get the best out of your players available. He also got very little from Fati or Ferguson last season.

Guardiola also said that he felt United are back shortly before we decided to capitulate. So I’ll forget that one too. He’ll say whatever might be in his interests to say

And Roberto Martinez won the FA cup with Shaun Maloney and James McArthur. Should we hire him too?

I’d rather wait for a manager who deserves the chance to manage United personally. But if you want De Zerbi then good for you

Because he has shown that he can make it work when he has something resembling a full strength team in the PL, and it's still a significantly weaker team than we have. Even at the start of last season, before the injuries started, they were playing pretty well and scoring for fun. Perhaps for me it's more a personal hunch with him, having watched Brighton quite a bit. I don't think there's necessarily a manager that would have us winning the league right now, with Pep and City about, but there's others that I think could get us on the right track. And I believe he was one option that could have done.

Fati seemed to be out injured a lot last season and never got any momentum going. I also think he's a bit overrated personally, because he came from Barca. He's not at the level of Mitoma or even March, who were both injured. Ferguson also had injury problems but also had a bit of an off season, which is understandable at his age and with a stop start season.

I don't know how much you saw of Brighton under him, but I was impressed and I'm absolutely sure he wouldn't have struggled as much last season if he didn't have so many injuries, or had a bit better quality in depth (something they've worked on this summer actually) or even if he'd have retained some of the quality he lost in year 1. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's not the last we'll hear from him so we'll see what happens in the future.

I would also include Höjlund as poor in possession. If ETH cannot improve our midfield then I also think our attacking 4 are best at counterattacking football. Another issue is that both Casemiro and Mainoo are slow players. Not a combo you want in CM.

From a pressing perspective I would play:

Ugarte
Mainoo Bruno
Amad/Garnacho Höjlund Mount

And force transitions high up the pitch.

I know Casemiro made big errors v Pool and we only lost due to his mistakes but I think we can work on a partnership between him and Ugarte? I’m just skeptical with Ugarte forward passing but I’m sure we will eventually need him to stop conceding too many chances. I’m just hoping he somehow could complement Casemiro and maybe be push him higher on the pitch and have Mainoo as super sub.

My only problem with Mount on the wing is it becomes a dead area in terms of chance creation.

His tactic and game management are all over the place, i've never seen a manager as inept as him. Moyes was bad but no one respected him, LvG bored me to death but we were winning against big teams, Jose was Jose we all knew hes always been a short-termist, Ole's wheels came off in the end as he had no serious reinforcements in 3 years. Ten Hag is our most financially-backed manager, allowed to sign his former players even at premium prices, he shouldve got us playing attractive football atleast thats the bare minimum, yet scoring goals seems to be the hardest thing to do in our team, theres absolute zero control in midfield, our defense often left unprotected nor having awareness of their surrounding, add that with a clown goalie personally-picked by Ten Hag. It's basically dogshit football from back to the front. Honestly if the new manager came in how many of players would be shown exit door?

I would also include Höjlund as poor in possession. If ETH cannot improve our midfield then I also think our attacking 4 are best at counterattacking football. Another issue is that both Casemiro and Mainoo are slow players. Not a combo you want in CM.

From a pressing perspective I would play:

Ugarte
Mainoo Bruno
Amad/Garnacho Höjlund Mount

And force transitions high up the pitch.
Not a bad lineup for the high press. Defensive high line will be a must, so we absolutely can’t have Maguire or Evans, and maybe not even De Ligt depending on our opposition. Fullbacks should be prepared to run double the amount if the tactics are to have them both push forward, especially against the Liverpools of the league who can move the ball quickly the other way.

For you who have seen the introduction video of Ugarte. The part when he meets EtH. Awkward to say the least. EtH seems so stressed and keep clapping and pushing him. Ugarte seems to be wondering whats going on. This manager, wow, just can't get my head around him. So weird and awkward in every sense. Just seems out of place.

It's weird and awkward, but honestly it's not all that different to how Pep acts around players. Pep's just got the managerial talent to balance it out.

It seems to me that the choreography for manager change is well underway and in fact this dance has been playing out since the Ineos investment. New owners will always bring in their own.

It’s also clear that Tuchel is the Anointed One and will be appointed soon - it is simply a matter of when.

1. Ineos seem to have a longer term approach to building the management structure.

2. They have shown patience so far in putting the right people in place at the right time.

3. It would have been a mistake to remove ETH either immediately or after FA cup win. That would simply repeat the mistakes of the past and put a new manager under unnecessary pressure.

4. The ETH contract renewal was pointedly conservative.

5. A ‘bad patch’ or ‘manager change opportunity’ during the season was inevitable. This one is too soon but ETH will be gone by November.

6. The summer transfer window was unusual disciplined. Players bought for longer term - no push for superstar that may have helped ETH get off to a good start.

7. Tuchel is the successor. I’m sure there have been assurances and he is aware of and appreciates the choreography. Better to arrive as a saviour rather than immediately after a cup winning manager is booted out.

We’re in for a bumpy couple of months but things will be well on track by January.

He won the freaking World Cup.

He's never managed in club football, though, which international football is lagging behind by like 15 years right now. There are no elite managers in international football for a reason, except washed up coaches on the decline that cannot get a big job in club football. The only exception currently is Nagelsmann.

It seems to me that the choreography for manager change is well underway and in fact this dance has been playing out since the Ineos investment. New owners will always bring in their own.

It’s also clear that Tuchel is the Anointed One and will be appointed soon - it is simply a matter of when.

1. Ineos seem to have a longer term approach to building the management structure.

2. They have shown patience so far in putting the right people in place at the right time.

3. It would have been a mistake to remove ETH either immediately or after FA cup win. That would simply repeat the mistakes of the past and put a new manager under unnecessary pressure.

5. A ‘bad patch’ or ‘manager change opportunity’ during the season was inevitable. This one is too soon but ETH will be gone by November.

6. The summer transfer window was unusual disciplined. Players bought for longer term - no push for superstar that may have helped ETH get off to a good start.

7. Tuchel is the successor. I’m sure there have been assurances and he is aware of and appreciates the choreography. Better to arrive as a saviour rather than immediately after a cup winning manager is booted out.

We’re in for a bumpy couple of months but things will be well on track by January.
Neh I don’t agree with that, didn’t Tuchel leak that he wasn’t interested anyway after the interview? Or have I made that up?

We will have a new manager but don’t think it’s part of some grand plan.

We really ought to replace 10Hag.

Unfortunately, every time you think he‘ll get sacked, he will pull an amazing game out, or two, and probably win another trophy like the Europa League.

So we keep limping along, not improving our league form and embarrassing ourselves against the likes of Brentford.

Outside of the FA Cup final, has he ever pulled off a 'amazing game' ?

I think the last great PL game he managed was the home fixture against Villa and even that game was end-to-end for long periods.

All our games in the PL in recent memory have been chaotic.

Outside of the FA Cup final, has he ever pulled off a 'amazing game' ?

I think the last great PL game he managed was the home fixture against Villa and even that game was end-to-end for long periods.

All our games in the PL in recent memory have been chaotic.
FA Cup final was an amazing result, but it really wasn’t an amazing game. What was amazing is that he didn’t stick to his stubborn plan for that one game, we won it, and it seems like he hasn’t learned a thing from that win

Don't agree with the bit about Tuchel, but I do agree with your other points. The reality is that Ineos took over a mess of a club, and with the new CEO and DOF not even starting til summer, I think this season was just too soon for them to get everything in place like they wanted. They probably didnt even have a clear vision for how they want the club to play football back at the start of the summer, never mind getting a manager who fits in with that vision. So they stuck with ETH, partly in hope he might improve, but also did so knowing that they can replace him pretty much at any point.

Doubt INEOS will go near the smarmy Cnut after his jibes at the club when he signed scumbag
Not sure that would put United off. If he does really well with Marseille I can see us going back in for him I mean we got to the point in negotiations with De Zerbi where the club and his representatives were discussing contract details.

German pundit Marcel Reif told German newspaper Bild: “I would have bet a lot that Tuchel would replace Ten Hag. I recently had another conversation with someone who is very close to that. It was pretty far along, almost in agreement.”
Asked why the move then failed, Reif said: “As far as the squad is concerned, the considerations were different. Tuchel said pretty much at the finish line: ‘I’m not doing that! I won’t do that to myself again, that I go to a club and then things come from outside.'”

Manchester United wanting a change in transfer approach has been well known for some month, with it thought Ten Hag had too much influence on purchases previously.

That may be a gradual process, with this summer also looking like it could have had some strong influence from the Dutchman. Tuchel, though, isn’t keen on not having control, which may dampen some of the rumours rising at the minute.

So what? You say that like there is something wrong with being Autistic.
No, let me be very clear as a family member has autism. That’s not what im saying. I’m saying that his awkwardness seems extreme to me, so I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that he is on the spectrum. Many people are and they don’t know it as they go about their daily lives.

Off course he might not be and is just socially awkward

True, INEOS are not fools, they will be looking at the manager position constantly.

Personally I’m trying to judge EtH on his post-INEOS performance, so removing him after 1 summer window and 3 game would be very short sighted.

But going into the winter window it wouldn’t surprise me at all if the manager was changed.

I wonder now the pesky transfer window is closed will Tuchel having control over incomings be slightly less of an issue if they offered him the job in the morning. Although thats probably too short term a view considering it will be an issue at some point.

What's Tuchel's record like, in terms of signing players?

Whomever does eventually replace Ten Hag, I'm sure they won't be a divisive appointment on the cafe

We really ought to replace 10Hag.

Unfortunately, every time you think he‘ll get sacked, he will pull an amazing game out, or two, and probably win another trophy like the Europa League.

So we keep limping along, not improving our league form and embarrassing ourselves against the likes of Brentford.
Nah, Ole was able to pull some amazing performances out of the bag when it looked like he was on the verge of being sacked until his luck ran out in his 3rd season. Ten Hag has never produced an amazing performance, just solid, functional performances.

How good is Nagelsmann at developing players? I like him as a candidate, but his problem will be that he has to develop Garnacho to next level, get the best out of Bruno and Rashford and also elevate either Højlund or Zirkzee to scoring a good amount of goals while also developing Amad.

Can he do most of this? What’s his experience in taking a talent and getting them to that next level?
Or he could just get rid of some of those players and bring in the guy he knows who can do the job he wants.

With INEOS, we will never get a top manager in. Tuchel turned us down because he wanted more control. The same will happen if we approach other top managers.

So we are stuck with Ten Hag, or have to replace him with a promising young manager, or Southgate who nobody else wants.

With INEOS, we will never get a top manager in. Tuchel turned us down because he wanted more control. The same will happen if we approach other top managers.

So we are stuck with Ten Hag, or have to replace him with a promising young manager, or Southgate who nobody else wants.
Just such a dumb little thing to say :lol: based on very little but said with so much certainty.

You think managers who regularly accept other less highly paid jobs where they have the exact same lack of control will turn us down, for reasons?

Also, I'm not even sure who the "top managers" you think we'd be excluding are? There's a reason managers like Kompany, Maresca and Slot went to top clubs in the summer, there aren't that many established top managers around.