Life after ETH — the next United manager

Ineos Team need to speed up the process to identify the next manager. I don't think ETH will last 2024. We will need a new manager in time for Jan 2025 transfer window.

I guess, in my mind, I drew a line after last season and EtH's retention - so I'm viewing this season as a new period and that 3 weeks is too short a time.

He should be given the opportunity to turn it around - however short. I don't like the way he configures the team to play. And I hope someone in the hierarchy has a word with him to let him know what his responsibility is
I also took this view, but the start to the season has very much felt like the last one never really ended...

It's making it a lot harder for me to be patient, can't lie

The real question for me isn't the next manager but the style and philosphy that INEOS try and push. Brighton have basically cycled through managers playing the same way. It's the modern method of running a club, remove the dependency on any single point of failure.

Clearly ETH's vision of United was to be incredibly direct, vertical and dynamic. For better and worse. It's not quite the opposite of tiki-taka but it's not far off either.

I guess the plan will be to move towards control, a more 'modern' style. But that's not the squad that ETH has built. Garnacho, Fernandes, Hojland and Rashford are all about dynamism. On the other hand, Mount, Amad, Shaw, Mainoo and I think Zirkzee could probably be useful in a more deliberate, 'Pep' style. Or is it just coaching?

I also took this view, but the start to the season has very much felt like the last one never really ended...

It's making it a lot harder for me to be patient, can't lie
There seems to be little doubt that the trawlermen will be trawling before May

Start laying the groundwork to somehow convince Inzaghi to take over next season. Not sure why he would want to but that would be the best candidate.

The real question for me isn't the next manager but the style and philosphy that INEOS try and push. Brighton have basically cycled through managers playing the same way. It's the modern method of running a club, remove the dependency on any single point of failure.

Clearly ETH's vision of United was to be incredibly direct, vertical and dynamic. For better and worse. It's not quite the opposite of tiki-taka but it's not far off either.

I guess the plan will be to move towards control, a more 'modern' style. But that's not the squad that ETH has built. Garnacho, Fernandes, Hojland and Rashford are all about dynamism. On the other hand, Mount, Amad, Shaw, Mainoo and I think Zirkzee could probably be useful in a more deliberate, 'Pep' style. Or is it just coaching?
I think Potter work on establishing Brighton progressive style of play have been seriously underrated here given how bad he was with Chelsea. Once that style of play is ingrained to the club, it would be easier for the next manager to tweak and improve it.

I think that he might be open to the challenge too with a bit of schmoozing from Ashworth.

Seeing Liverpool fans try to burn their tattoos off would be :devil:
If we're putting forward batshit ideas, maybe Pep would fancy managing a proper club in Manchester if 115 ever materialises...

If we're putting forward batshit ideas, maybe Pep would fancy managing a proper club in Manchester if 115 ever materialises...
Neither idea is completely batshit if you appeal to them correctly. But I suspect Pep will want to try a different country next or international football

Neither idea is completely batshit if you appeal to them correctly. But I suspect Pep will want to try a different country next or international football
Both suggestions are completely mental, really :lol: If the right circumstances presented themselves with City and their charges, you could maybe try making a pitch to Guardiola and lean into the connections with the likes of Berrada and Wilcox who were both part of City's operations, but I suspect you're right that he'd want to try something else.

The Klopp one is a non-starter. Guardiola is a bit of a wanker but a lot more sterile in his manner and doesn't feel as intrinsically linked to City as Klopp does to Liverpool. Klopp was the cheerleader for a bunch of rabid scousers. Even if that one was a possibility, it wouldn't be particularly palatable.

Regardless of the next manager, there has to be some type of continuity of tactical setup and player ability, not wild swings either way. That has to be established by the new football ops and not entirely on a manager.

Brighton does it well, City did it well, Spurs did well but same output, Liverpool with Slot.

Jose Mourinho played a very pragmatic, low block, and reactive football with a prominent CF. Ole was counter attacking, transition, but couldn't breakdown teams and he let everything go through Bruno - for good or bad - you slow down Bruno, you pretty much neutralized United's attack. EtH has this mix of pressing, playing out from the back, and transition style that varies throughout the season according to opponent. But breaking down opponents still is a weakness since before Jose - part player ability, part tactical.

So it's gone from one end of the spectrum (Mourinho) to the other (Ole) and somewhere more 'progressive' (EtH), while the technical ability of the playing squad has also changed over the course of 5 years but still a mix of each spectrum.

I'm more interested in life after Luke Shaw, Bruno, and Rashford. It's clear that Shaw is a world class player but his injury record and lack of fitness/availability hurts the team but shouldn't be so dependent on him. Bruno can't shoulder the burden on his own like Ole did, it's too predictable and he's very much a maverick/cavalier. We've seen it can deliver top 4 but it cannot deliver a title. Bruno isn't that all around elite force. And Rashford is too streaky and average technically and his decision making has never been good enough.

I just want someone to excite us again, get us playing attacking football.

Ten Hag has been a grim watch.

Klopp up for a challenge next season?
Didn't he get offered the Utd gig when they were looking for Fergie's replacement? He rejected Utd then to stay at BVB and back then Utd looked a lot less like an insane asylum's graveyard where managerial and footballing talent alike go to die.

Fact is Utd currently has a 70% chance of tarnishing anyone's CV, hence the players and managers who will come are the ones who aren't targeted by bigger clubs. That's someone like Tuchel. Xabi isn't coming no matter what Utd offer because he's in hot demand like Arteta, Utd can try finding your own Arteta although I doubt McKenna will be as good as the top Spanish coaches.

Last edited:
Didn't he get offered the Utd gig when they were looking for Fergie's replacement? He rejected Utd then to stay at BVB and back then Utd looked a lot less like an insane asylum's graveyard where managerial and footballing talent alike go to die.

Fact is Utd currently has a 70% chance of tarnishing anyone's CV, hence the players and managers who will come are the ones who aren't targeted by bigger clubs. That's someone like Tuchel. Xabi isn't coming no matter what Utd offer because he's in hot demand like Arteta, Utd can try finding your own Arteta although I doubt McKenna will be as good as the top Spanish coaches.
Since when is Arteta in hot demand?

Regardless of the next manager, there has to be some type of continuity of tactical setup and player ability, not wild swings either way. That has to be established by the new football ops and not entirely on a manager.
This. A solid structure comes first and that’s what we’re building now with the new management (hopefully). Should have been done ten years ago. We lost those years that other clubs used constructively, but with capable management in place it doesn’t need to take that long to get up to speed. Many fans will not accept it though, being fed up and impatient (understandably), but it’s the only way to get us back as title contenders.
I guess it makes sense to keep ETH for now until the new management is settled in and agrees upon a long term strategy. They need to work quickly though, cause if things don’t improve they might be forced to fire him - and at that point they need to know what they are looking for long term.

I have never been a fan of hiring and firing every other season but I just cannot see EtH making any improvement. I'd like to think the new signings would help but I'm undecided about Zirkzee. Dalot is a better right back. Rashford cannot seem to play under EtH. I dunno. But if Tuchel came and didn't win 12 games in a row, he'd be getting dog's abuse on here.

I’d love to see Xavi here. He’s articulate, speaks English very well, has won major titles, and had worked in one of the few clubs with more pressure than United.

I’d love to see Xavi here. He’s articulate, speaks English very well, has won major titles, and had worked in one of the few clubs with more pressure than United.

Our team isnt build for a full on possession style manager like him. Would rather go for Tuchel/Nagellsman, they seems like a good fit.

The likes of Alonso, Motta or Enrique are not available.

And I'd not gamble on the likes of McKenna, Amorim or Iraola.

Our team isnt build for a full on possession style manager like him. Would rather go for Tuchel/Nagellsman, they seems like a good fit.

The likes of Alonso, Motta or Enrique are not available.

And I'd not gamble on the likes of McKenna, Amorim or Iraola.

Why not? We're rich and fixing us would be the legacy of a lifetime.

For you who have seen the introduction video of Ugarte. The part when he meets EtH. Awkward to say the least. EtH seems so stressed and keep clapping and pushing him. Ugarte seems to be wondering whats going on. This manager, wow, just can't get my head around him. So weird and awkward in every sense. Just seems out of place.

I guess, in my mind, I drew a line after last season and EtH's retention - so I'm viewing this season as a new period and that 3 weeks is too short a time.

He should be given the opportunity to turn it around - however short. I don't like the way he configures the team to play. And I hope someone in the hierarchy has a word with him to let him know what his responsibility is
I don’t understand this because many of the exact same problems from last season persist. Ten Hag is responsible for what happens on the pitch, and performances and results wise it’s very much a continuation of last season, despite a few tweaks. So why does he get a clean slate?

For you who have seen the introduction video of Ugarte. The part when he meets EtH. Awkward to say the least. EtH seems so stressed and keep clapping and pushing him. Ugarte seems to be wondering whats going on. This manager, wow, just can't get my head around him. So weird and awkward in every sense. Just seems out of place.
Totally agree. I can’t imagine having to work with him, let alone take advice or direction from him. He’s proper awkward and doesn’t seem in touch with the players. He could be the best tactician in world football but when you can’t deliver it or get people to do what you want them to do, it’s never going to work. He’s not a likeable guy one bit.

I don't normally read into this kind of things, but it was proper awkward and also ETH's comments on Ugarte before were weird and rather petty

Would give him time until the villa game, show clear and major improvements and he could stay, otherwise it's probably better for both parties to part ways.

Somewhat reminiscent of the video when the “number 1” United fan met LVG who was in his socks and slippers, and he asked the fan if he thought he should he fired.

I can't watch the videos of him talking to the new signings. Makes me cringe a bit.

Since when is Arteta in hot demand?
He was linked to the Barca job iirc, point being taking the Utd job is a death knell for youngish managers like Xabi Alonso, Arteta... ETH was once an up and coming trainer from Ajax like them and his Utd stint won't help him get hired at top CL clubs.
Why not? We're rich and fixing us would be the legacy of a lifetime.
Well the last 5? 7? managers have all failed to fix Utd and it did their reputation a disservice :lol: Can't fix crazy. My honest appraisal is that Utd needs to go back to the basics and stop splashing the cash willy nilly so the club stops attracting the wrong types of players. Develop a few young coaches in the academy and promote the best one (or use him as an assistant coach who can take over if there's a sacking) who knows how to get the most out of academy players.

Last edited:
Would give him time until the villa game, show clear and major improvements and he could stay, otherwise it's probably better for both parties to part ways.
Yeah I agree. I think this is a bit too early; I'd give him until the next international break. That's 7 games, including 3 against patsies (Southampton, Barnsley, Twente).

I'd think we need minimum 4 wins in those 7 games (and hopefully a draw in 1-2 non-wins) or I'd consider using the break to make a switch. By that time he's had a chance to make a mark on this year's team, including likely with Ugarte, Hojlund, and maybe even Shaw. If we're still struggling, it's time.

Given that we now have the CBs to play a 3-4-3, I'd quite like to give Amorim a go.

Yoro, De Ligt and Martinez as CBs, with the latter acting as a wide CB to allow our wingbacks to get up the pitch sounds fun.

Would also allow our 'shoot first, make passes later' forwards to play more narrow.