Leny Yoro | Out for 3 months with a metatarsal injury

It isn't that common to play teenagers at CB, is it? I don't know a thing about this guy, but does Cafe think he will be a starter /first rotation option this season?

Starter. He played more senior minutes than Garnacho last season, and Garna was never injured and played most games for 90 minutes.

Does he know even who Rio is? He wasn't born when he signed for us. Oh and Rio is easily a triple digit transfer today. There hasn't been an over 100m one yet because no one has been as good as Rio.

Can’t recall ever seeing him play and I’m not going to judge players based upon social media, particularly CB’s. However, with the fact as a CB he’s already racked up so many games for Lille’s first team before he’s even turned 19, and because all the big names in Europe were after him if the press are to believe, the signs are good.
Has anybody here actually seen him play regularly and can describe what kind of CB he is?

Can’t recall ever seeing him play and I’m not going to judge players based upon social media, particularly CB’s. However, with the fact as a CB he’s already racked up so many games for Lille’s first team before he’s even turned 19, and because all the big names in Europe were after him if the press are to believe, the signs are good.
Has anybody here actually seen him play regularly and can describe what kind of CB he is?
From what I’ve heard, a bit like Varane/Rio. Very comfortable on the ball, excellent dribbling and composure. Maybe lacks in the passing dept but it’s not exactly bad. Also very good at defending wide box spaces like Varane was. Quick and good header of the ball too.

From what I’ve heard, a bit like Varane/Rio. Very comfortable on the ball, excellent dribbling and composure. Maybe lacks in the passing dept but it’s not exactly bad. Also very good at defending wide box spaces like Varane was. Quick and good header of the ball too.
Varane was that good on the ball imo. Good defender, but overrated imo.

Varane was that good on the ball imo. Good defender, but overrated imo.
You mean wasn't?

If so I think it's the same yeah. He's probably on that level of passing which is not bad. Solid but will never be as good as someone like Martinez.

Certainly investing for the future and I also read somewhere that Liverpool were sniffing around him but backed off once they found out Real Madrid were in for him so it looks like our new boardroom know how to do business and more importantly know how to attract a player. The future for once looks rather bright.

I understand some people have doubts about this transfer but the way I see it all the profiles of defenders we have been linked with come with a risk.

The big money PL player (including PL tax) like Braithwaite always has the risk of not being able to make that step up that may be expected of him. Who looks really good at a certain level but wilts at United - See Maguire (imo)

The big money foreign player with a big reputation like De Ligt - no guarantee they adapt to the Premier league quickly and suddenly the big expectations and price tag are like a weight around their neck.

The galactico signed for crazy money and crazy wages - maybe you get one or two decent seasons out of them before they become a millstone and you are looking for a replacement. See Casemiro. Hopefully those days are behind us now anyway.

Or the exciting young prospect who isn't the finished product but has lots of room to grow. Yes there may be time to adapt to the PL but with youth on their side like Yoro there's plenty of time for that adaption providing the fans can be patient and believe the destination will be worth the inevitable bumps on the road.

Maybe it's just the Football Manager player in me but I pick the exciting young prospect every time and I have high hopes this will be the way more often going forward.

If we were under Glazers, we’ll still be briefing about how hard Murtough’s working on trying to make the deal happen and flying between France and Manchester to make it happen.

Financial, verbal and physical seduction. The full INEOS package.

Was he a starting CB for the whole season for Lille?

What I love about this transfer is that it was done in no nonsense way professionally and fast. Also great that we have seemingly three players in mind, targeting probably two and if in one case someone is trying to blackmail club (e.g. Everton) we simply move to the next target. So soon I think clubs will not hold us for ransom when buying players anymore because they won't be able to.

There’s a completion of his long passes this season going around and it’s sensational.

There’s a completion of his long passes this season going around and it’s sensational.
He seems to love the big Harry Maguire diagonal switch to the wing.

Fortunately, he plays it with a much more direct trajectory than the floaty 3-5 business days thing Maguire does.

Ligue 1 Team of the Season, started 30 of 34 games.
He's definitely coming in as a starter then, this notion of him being an up-and-comer doesn't really fit the bill, given that and his price.

He's definitely coming in as a starter then, this notion of him being an up-and-comer doesn't really fit the bill, given that and his price.

I would have thought so. It's not like we haven't got experienced players to play around him.

He was Lille's 5th highest appearance maker across competitions last season, and the defender with the most appearances, so he's clearly ready to be relied upon. The obvious question mark is adapting to the Premier League.

I would have thought so. It's not like we haven't got experienced players to play around him.

He was Lille's 5th highest appearance maker across competitions last season, and the defender with the most appearances, so he's clearly ready to be relied upon. The obvious question mark is adapting to the Premier League.
He looks quick and Ligue 1 is a physical league, hopefully he won't have any issues!