Leny Yoro | Out for 3 months with a metatarsal injury

Not too worried. Will give him some time to settle mentally and practically. Obviously I'd be nice for him to settle tactically and physically but it'll come. I'd be far more concerned if Martinez got injured. We can start the season with Maguire and Martinez and be OK. Wouldn't mind getting de Ligt however. We've all seen the horror of having to rotate Maguire, Lindelöf and Evans.

Also, do I get plus points for ending that many words on ally?

Ah, thats right. Will still blame Arsenal
To play devils advocate, didn’t we get that head physio from Arsenal at the start of last year which resulted in an injury strewn year, meanwhile arsenals injury issues seemed comparatively better than usual.

He’s a mole. I’m telling ya.

Sucks, but he should heal well considering his age.
The worrying thing is how often these kinds of foot injuries lead to longer term muscles problems. Three months without being able to properly train one leg often leaves muscular imbalances which result in additional strains.

Pogba was available more often than not when he was here, a lot of the time there were other reasons he was out of the team. Martial has only recently succumbed to hamstring problems, like a lot of pacey players do if they don't manage those types of injuries. Zlatan was fit the whole time he was here until he suffered a knee injury (think it was ACL) in literally one of our last games of the season. He was in his 30s at the time.

Martinez broke his foot and it didn't heal properly so he had to have more surgery, then he suffered a freak knee injury when Coufal fell on him. People need to get over this idea that he's injury prone, it's just not true.

I think the club might have been guilty of rushing players back in the past, normally because players said they were fit when maybe they weren't 100%. Players want to play so that's what they're going to do.

The club doesn't break players, that's just tin hat stuff.
The Club Physically and mentally breaks players. Not just injuries, players form collapses , very small % of players signed since 2013 have made a good go of it or were able to bring their form to the club.

It’s not so much tin foil hat as it is objectively looking at the fact that so many players careers fail or decline at United for multiple reasons. There’s a lot of factors that would make that so, but it’s fair to say that most players joining United since SAF left; have had a horrid time at the club from a footballing perspective.

We bought an 18 year old, we bought a project. Sort of like Shaw or Amad or Garnacho or Mainoo. It's a set back, hopefully he'll come back stronger. The focus should be on the long term and extracting the enormous potential he seem to have.

Good to see a level headed take

It sucks for the lad, but if we sign De Ligt then for me Yoro was always a bonus signing anyway - none of us thought we were ever signing him and Real was a done deal. Plus he’s only 18.

Even if we don’t sign De Ligt a Maguire/Martinez back line is a decent pairing.

The Højlund injury is much more frustrating even though it’s less severe - we need a big season from him.

He's in good company. I wonder if there was another certain 18 year old that broke their metatarsal and became a United legend...

I think people don’t appreciate just how un-injured Harry Maguire has been for us.

Seems like every other CB we’ve signed over the last 10 years has had big injury problems.

As someone that has broken metatarsals twice, I have no idea how anyone is blaming training or ETH for it. It's just pure luck, I did mine once just stepping on the edge of a step at the perfect angle, and another by kicking into studs in the park. It can happen to anyone, at any time.

It's unfortunate and we're all frustrated by the injuries last season, but some of the ETH agenda is ludicrous, y'all need to get out more.

Small muscle injuries can come from training. Popping a tiny bone 25 minutes into a preseason match is just bad luck.

The worst stage of his career for him to get a serious injury ffs. This was a key development period for him.

Enthusiasm for the season was already low now it's just dead.
Actually, whilst it's not ideal, this could ironically help him settle better and quicker:

While it’s clearly not an ideal start and it would have been great to have him kick on from the beginning it’s worth remembering he’s 18 years old and just moved to a new club, in a new country. Having a couple of months breathing space to really settle in and get to know his coaches and team mates and make his house a home and generally ease into the situation at his own pace could be beneficial long term.

Plus, he's 18, so will have a healing factor that is accelerated.

It's really not ideal for him to miss preseason - it would been better for this to happen at the start of the actual campaign, so that he has as much preamble as possible under his belt, but, so long as he heals fully, there could be benefits to us during the festive period and even the run in.

Everything doesn't have to be doom and gloom.

I’m not a professional athlete or doctor and I’m approaching my mid 30s, but I broke the second metatarsal in my right foot last year, and 9 months post injury it’s still absolutely horrendous despite a period on crutches, prolonged rest and limited activity.

Anything foot or ankle related always feels harder to recover from. Obviously Yoro should have the benefit of state of the art modern sports science, a great diet and a pre-planned routine with all rules specified to limit any aggravation, but it only takes one mistake to cause more damage.

I hope the three months isn’t rushing him back.

Welcome to Injury FC.

I think if you post a picture of his foot and the whole Forum concentrates on it, it will speed up the healing.

I think that worked with Beckham that time, or was it Rooney?
Ha becks with the meta break but I’d swear he was back in 6 weeks ?

Honestly this is a top tier bad feeling in football. An exciting new signing getting a long term injury before they've even made their debut. Very frustrating after what happened with Amad and Mainoo last year.

I’m not a professional athlete or doctor and I’m approaching my mid 30s, but I broke the second metatarsal in my right foot last year, and 9 months post injury it’s still absolutely horrendous despite a period on crutches, prolonged rest and limited activity.

Anything foot or ankle related always feels harder to recover from. Obviously Yoro should have the benefit of state of the art modern sports science, a great diet and a pre-planned routine with all rules specified to limit any aggravation, but it only takes one mistake to cause more damage.

I hope the three months isn’t rushing him back.

Welcome to Injury FC.

Yeah, it definitely depends WHICH metatarsal bone you have broken, as there are 5 on each foot. The inner ones seem to be much more trickier to recover and I believe that Lisandro had done one of the inners, hence his long recovery period.

Reactions: Mr Pigeon
To play devils advocate, didn’t we get that head physio from Arsenal at the start of last year which resulted in an injury strewn year, meanwhile arsenals injury issues seemed comparatively better than usual.

I hope Ratcliffe has ties to the Mi6.

In fairness, metatarsal injuries are always bad luck. But the amount of injuries we have sustained the last few years have been ridiculous.

As many others has stated, something is wrong. Either with training or with the medical department.

Someone needs to be sacked.

Honestly this is a top tier bad feeling in football. An exciting new signing getting a long term injury before they've even made their debut. Very frustrating after what happened with Amad and Mainoo last year.
I think Amad was against Arsenal too.

Positives to take from this

1) It could have been worse
2) It adds further urgency to getting another CB in this summer

Negatives to take from this

1) Feck sake, always us, fecking hell, fecking shite pitch, fecking Glazers
2) Feck

I think if you post a picture of his foot and the whole Forum concentrates on it, it will speed up the healing.

I think that worked with Beckham that time, or was it Rooney?

Wasn't there a story about a Korean witch doctor using his voodoo to heal Beckham's foot?

2) Feck

True but I fear this could impact the team elsewhere, we will probably go ahead with De Ligt now but does that leave a budget for Ugarte?

2 new CB’s and a rotation striker really isn’t a great summer for me I hope I’m wrong

Having Phil Jones flashback here. He was a top talent prospect when he joined us too.

Proving once again that this overseas tours are f*cking pointkess: I don't know what income is generated but it can't be more than wasting a transfer fee and possibly buggering up the whole season. Rasmus also out (six weeks). Just play games here against smaller clubs to a sin the (very) old days. Fans get to watch and smaller teams or just f*cking train and get fit

2) Feck
The other thing is that maybe we will be able to see early how ETH copes with him and Rasmus out or not.

Proving once again that this overseas tours are f*cking pointkess: I don't know what income is generated but it can't be more than wasting a transfer fee and possibly buggering up the whole season. Rasmus also out (six weeks). Just play games here against smaller clubs to a sin the (very) old days. Fans get to watch and smaller teams or just f*cking train and get fit

The tours aren’t pointless at all. United is a global entity and our status as a club, and the ability to make these signings is heavily supported by the aforementioned factors. These tours not only generate income, they afford overseas fans to watch the and interact with the team.

Injuries happen and are part and parcel of the sport. It is what it is.

I do think more effort/planning should go into ensuring the pitches are in a better state though.

Hes not a mole. He's just really shit at his job. Who tf hires Arsenal medical staff knowing their history

Probably shouldnt say this, but hope we kick the shit out of Arsenal players next time we meet them. They had zero reason to be so physical in a friendly game.

yep. It’s very hard to see any actual benefits to this approach other than financial. Even having them cooped up on long haul flights is hardly going to be a positive impact on conditioning. Especially if they’re returning back to the UK with an injury.

The Club Physically and mentally breaks players. Not just injuries, players form collapses , very small % of players signed since 2013 have made a good go of it or were able to bring their form to the club.

It’s not so much tin foil hat as it is objectively looking at the fact that so many players careers fail or decline at United for multiple reasons. There’s a lot of factors that would make that so, but it’s fair to say that most players joining United since SAF left; have had a horrid time at the club from a footballing perspective.
Probably because the club has been run so poorly.

A lot of good players could never do it at United. The pressure is a big jump compared to a lot of clubs, even our PL rivals. That was the same with SAF and it will probably always be something that happens. Nothing the club can really do about that, some people sink and some people swim

If that's the case (Arsenal less injuries, us more), then I wouldn't call a mole, just incompetent.

Yeah, it definitely depends WHICH metatarsal bone you have broken, as there are 5 on each foot. The inner ones seem to be much more trickier to recover and I believe that Lisandro had done one of the inners, hence his long recovery period.

Foot injuries take longer due to the reduced blood flow to the area, I was told this by my consultant 2 years ago.

Lisandro's injury was to the 5th and outside one I believe. He might have had what is known as a Jones fracture, notoriously difficult to heal and prone to refracture. Again I was told this by my consultant when they thought I might have had a fracture on mine, I didn't, I just had a hairline fracture on my talus bone. That cnut took a year to fully heal.

Unlucky but he should be back by October end. He is still super young so I had some reservations about throwing him straight into the XI alongside Martinez. I always thought we needed de Ligt on top of signing Yoro, so I hope club finalizes that transfer quick

Hojlund one is annoying because full pre-season and one year of settling in, he could've done with a fresh start. Well, I hope Zirkzee uses this chance well.