Leny Yoro | 8pm announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is Adnan? :p

Nah, I'm saying it's funny how a large majority of posters are getting excited about a signing based on hype and no first hand evidence.

I was also saying none of us, literally, have watched the kid play. But finding Adnan's posts made me eat humble pie (and also feel a bit relieved about where we are throwing money), so I'll revise it to 'almost none of us have watched the kid play'.

I'd never seen Antony, and look how that turned out. Or Onana. Or Van de Beek. The only young player I'd seen play before a big money move to us in recent times, Sancho, turned out to be a dud.

We have good reason to be skeptical.
I basically work under the assumption that anyone adnan is mentioning semi regularly is going to be great. Pretty solid theory to date, pity we missed out on Nico Williams who he's been talking about for at least a year i'd say.

I basically work under the assumption that anyone adnan is mentioning semi regularly is going to be great. Pretty solid theory to date, pity we missed out on Nico Williams who he's been talking about for at least a year i'd say.
I work under the same assumptions. When @Adnan brings up a player I immediately look him up.

People keep mentioning that he could run down his contract.

That is not going to happen.

Do you think if he fulfils his potential, that he is going to stay on this current contract for the next 6 years?, he would expect to be upgraded, and the club is not going to upgrade the contract without extending it.

Some silly silly takes here.

The most important thing is that he continues to develop his defensive acumen in terms of defensive positioning, reading of the game that allows for interceptions and blocks, timely tackles, the better he is in those areas the better for us, he is tall and looks strong too, and from the clips I've seen he also looks to have good to excellent pace, his foundations are strong and hopefully he is given the space to develop.

People are geting boring with Madrid. Imho, they will fall hard without Kroos and Modric. They were real World Class players. They just got lucky with them and CR7, people forget how Florentino can go crazy when he is against wall.

I work under the same assumptions. When @Adnan brings up a player I immediately look him up.
I'm too lazy to do the work of looking him up myself. But i did pay attention when Bilbao were playing last season so caught a couple of games and knew what to expect in the world cup when i never would normally. Someone else said it - he's a good resource.

Great to see us seemly pull this signing off. While I don't know much about the player personally, this is the type of signing that I always like to see us do. Young player with seemly world class potential, that we can watch develop and grow. If it works out, we have someone who can be part of the team for the next decade sorted

People keep mentioning that he could run down his contract.

That is not going to happen.

Do you think if he fulfils his potential, that he is going to stay on this current contract for the next 6 years?, he would expect to be upgraded, and the club is not going to upgrade the contract without extending it.

Some silly silly takes here.
Yep. And that’s the key really - we have to be smart about his contract renewal (and everybody else for that matter) IF he proves good enough. If he reaches the level to warrant better compensation he’d have to commit for an even longer period.

The only concern will be his wages which seem already high. Ideally we’d get him in at 80K and then reward based on performances and development.

Last edited:
Yep. And that’s the key really - we have to be smart about his contract renewal (and everybody else for that matter) IF he proves good enough. If he reaches the level to warrant better compensation he’d have to commit for an even longer period.

The only concern will be his wages which seem very high.
If he stays on this trajectory and becomes a superstar at the age of 21, he would probably get upgraded to about 160-170k per week. And over the number of years he would have remaining on his current deal, he isnt going to leave millions on the table to do Madrid a favor.

5 years with us to turn him into the finished article... before his inevitable move to Madrid and the peak years of his career.
I'd prefer this than the alternative - they spend their peak years at Madrid and come to us when they are geriatric and injury prone.

Few of the ManUtd fans have this weird obsession/fear that Madrid will sign every ManUtd player who does well. Garnacho just played few games and these guys came up with "Madrid will sign him". It's getting borderline crazy now.

We lost one player whom we didn't want to sell, that's it. If you want to name Beckham, RVN, Heinze then you should also mention how we sign players from Madrid as we signed Di Maria, Varane, Casemiro.

Few of the ManUtd fans have this weird obsession/fear that Madrid will sign every ManUtd player who does well. Garnacho just played few games and these guys came up with "Madrid will sign him". It's getting borderline crazy now.

We lost one player whom we didn't want to sell, that's it. If you want to name Beckham, RVN, Heinze then you should also mention how we sign players from Madrid as we signed Di Maria, Varane, Casemiro.

TBH I don't see a problem even with that given our current situation. If he has the same level of impact for the club as Ronaldo, Beckham etc., Real are welcome to him 6 years from now for a big enough fee.

The difference in the signings we make from Madrid are they are just about to finish the peak and hit the decline button. Beckham; RVN were in their peak years same as Ronaldo.

The difference in the signings we make from Madrid are they are just about to finish the peak and hit the decline button. Beckham; RVN were in their peak years same as Ronaldo.

We sold RVN when he was 30, Beckham was 28. Players we signed from Madrid Varane was 28, Casemiro 30. Di Maria was 25 or 26

Beckham and RVN weren't at their peak either. They were about to finish their peak and decline.

Do we have any Lille fans that can point me to specific decent games he's had previously that I can watch. Prefer that than the basic YouTube compilations.

Do we have any Lille fans that can point me to specific decent games he's had previously that I can watch. Prefer that than the basic YouTube compilations.

He did well vs PSG, highlights is available on YouTube

Not every player Madrid signed, either from us or others end up successful for Madrid either.
Heinze went to Madrid but he's not very successful as a footballer. His ketchup seems to be doing very well though.
Basically Madrid is not the ultimate club where they do nothing wrong. They have the advantage of being sunny and located at a famous holiday destination, that's their only unfair advantage.

Who is Adnan? :p

Nah, I'm saying it's funny how a large majority of posters are getting excited about a signing based on hype and no first hand evidence.

I was also saying none of us, literally, have watched the kid play. But finding Adnan's posts made me eat humble pie (and also feel a bit relieved about where we are throwing money), so I'll revise it to 'almost none of us have watched the kid play'.

I'd never seen Antony, and look how that turned out. Or Onana. Or Van de Beek. The only young player I'd seen play before a big money move to us in recent times, Sancho, turned out to be a dud.

We have good reason to be skeptical.

Yeah I usually listen to him as well.

I wonder if Angel Gomes helped Yoro decide, I'm sure Yoro asked how was it to play for United wouldn't be surprised if we find out later it helped him make his decision

We sold RVN when he was 30, Beckham was 28. Players we signed from Madrid Varane was 28, Casemiro 30. Di Maria was 25 or 26

Beckham and RVN weren't at their peak either. They were about to finish their peak and decline.
I need my memory checked, genuinely thought they were all younger and Di Maria was older, my bad.

Beckham was at the peak of his advertising career then, I’ll go with that.

Yer I think they got the better end of the stick there

This Real Madrid thing is just stupid. They half arsed paid a bit of interest. Maybe not even that and it was all paper talk. If they wanted him they would have got him. And here we are chests puffed out screeming 'We done you Madrid! FK you!'. P.s.please don't take him from us.

Madrid spent £43m on a established CB from Porto. They were trying to sign Yoro as depth for CB for now and their offers for the player reflected that.

The Grealish and Phililps deals were negotiated by Omar Berrarda from what we're led to believe in the media and he's overpaid on many deals and the Leny Yoro one won't be the last.

Yoro is a player I first brought up on here and it's unbelievable to me at least how he's going for the reported price. I can't remember anyone quoting my post at the time telling me what a talent he was but I did receive a negative one.

That cant be right. Omar was not and is currently notnin charge of transfers.

Also I am so sure that Kalvin was signed to boost Citys “English trained youth” number in the squad. You need a certain number of players jn your squad who came through an English clubs youth team.

In all regards City have been the best team when it comes to transfers. They genuinely set a price and if the seller wants more they exit. They have not been involved in any silly sagas since Pep settled.

I need my memory checked, genuinely thought they were all younger and Di Maria was older, my bad.

Beckham was at the peak of his advertising career then, I’ll go with that.

Yeah agree with marketing part. He was a different beast.

Crazy that we would probably be paying 70 or 80m for this transfer a couple years ago. Makes you wonder what the previous team in charge of this stuff were on.

Crazy that we would probably be paying 70 or 80m for this transfer a couple years ago. Makes you wonder what the previous team in charge of this stuff were on.
I think it's helping that we now have multiple targets. We've been linked to Yoro, De Ligt and Branthwaite which means we have options and can walk away in case of crazy demands as seen with the Branthwaite case.

This is helping us a lot in negotiating fairer deals.

Compared to previous summers where it felt like "Antony or nothing".

I wonder if Angel Gomes helped Yoro decide, I'm sure Yoro asked how was it to play for United wouldn't be surprised if we find out later it helped him make his decision
I don't think Yoro will be playing in the Reserves so I am not sure if Angel would have any advice to give.

As well as being assured on the ball, man mountain Branthwaite is not only an incredible physical specimen who looks like he could overhead press the willowy Yoro, he’s had the Premier League’s biggest and baddest strikers regularly bouncing off him.

Baddest strikers. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.