Leny Yoro | 8pm announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, alternatively, Romano and co got it wrong. In any case, there should obviously not be any Community Note at all.
You sound like you want it to be the high amount. This is Nabil's story. He broke it and he clearly said €50m as the base fee. Ornstein's reliable but he can still make mistakes. He seems to have here on the details of the deal.

You sound like you want it to be the high amount. This is Nabil's story. He broke it and he clearly said €50m as the base fee. Ornstein's reliable but he can still make mistakes. He seems to have here on the details of the deal.

No, I don't care which amount is correct. But, when the fee is unknown and a very reliable journalist is reporting up to €70m, then you very obviously don't community note someone for reporting that figure. Just like you very obviously shouldn't community note someone reporting that the fee is up to €62m.

This should be extremely obvious common sense.

Great news! Not going to lie though, I've not much knowledge on his game. Judging by his age I'd hope we'll bring in at least one more CB in De Ligt.

You’d imagine they must have met each other at Carrington today. It’s too random that of all the players he could have followed this evening, Wheatley was the guy.

Maybe introduce them so he can show him around the city? He's a local isn't he?
That would be a sensible thing to do to grease the wheels wouldn't it?

Hopefully they become our latest buddy duo.

Leny - "Ok, time to train and prepare for this upcoming Champions League final. I really think we can make it three in a row if we work as hard as-"

Ethan - "Mate, mate, mate, mate..."

I'm still chuckling at Everton fans and journalists being miffed at us signing him for less than what they wanted for Branthwaite.

I've searched this thread for the words "seen" and "watched", and I haven't found a single poster who has seen or watched this guy play for even two games in a row. He is a randomly generated character with a randomly generated name, for all intents and purposes. So many in unison about how he is the next generational talent, and no one - not a single poster - has a non-YouTube/fbref reason why.

I'm glad we managed to pip Real Madrid to a young scouted talent, but I don't know if he was worth 50m. No one knows but the scouts and a couple of football folks at our club, I suppose.

Big big gamble. Let's see how he does for us.

Interesting that his “only wants Madrid “ thing was actually before United were interested. He flat out refused PSG at the end of the season saying he wanted RM.

Then United come along. It’s possible journalist were only just regurgitating what they heard from a few months back assuming that would still apply.

Very strange that Everton fans on twitter are making so much noise about us spending £42m-£52m on young centre back. Whether they just want to gain attention to get famous by using United as click bait or they’re being salty that the market of young centre back is actually nowhere near £70m.

Interesting that his “only wants Madrid “ thing was actually before United were interested. He flat out refused PSG at the end of the season saying he wanted RM.

Then United come along. It’s possible journalist were only just regurgitating what they heard from a few months back assuming that would still apply.

To me it seems more logical from everything that's being reported that he was always waiting on Madrid, but once Utd bid the amount they did and it became apparent that Madrid were not going to match it or come close to it, he had a decision to make whether to stay and leave for free or join you guys. Usually players in those type of situations don't stay at the club they were at and make the move.

I've searched this thread for the words "seen" and "watched", and I haven't found a single poster who has seen or watched this guy play for even two games in a row. He is a randomly generated character with a randomly generated name, for all intents and purposes. So many in unison about how he is the next generational talent, and no one - not a single poster - has a non-YouTube/fbref reason why.

I'm glad we managed to pip Real Madrid to a young scouted talent, but I don't know if he was worth 50m. No one knows but the scouts and a couple of football folks at our club, I suppose.

Plenty of us have watched him. @Adnan was clued into him a long time ago. I started researching and watching around Christmas when trying to figure out who’d we be going after this summer for CB’s.

Very strange that Everton fans on twitter are making so much noise about us spending £42m-£52m on young centre back. Whether they just want to gain attention to get famous by using United as click bait or they’re being salty that the market of young centre back is actually nowhere near £70m.
Absolutely bizarre. Imagine United fans getting pissy because we set Garnachos price tag at 80m and then Madrid went off and signed Martinelli instead or something. You’d think a supporter would be thrilled with keeping their generational CB

I just find it amazing that nobody has been able to take a picture of him anywhere in Manchester, arriving in Carrington, plane, anywhere. Has this ever happened with a transfer before?

I've watched every single one of his games for the past 21 years or so and let me tell you he's going to be a star

Plenty of us have watched him. @Adnan was clued into him a long time ago. I started researching and watching around Christmas when trying to figure out who’d we be going after this summer for CB’s.

I searched your post history as well, have you mentioned anywhere you've seen him play - couldn't find any of your reports.

Adnan was the one definite oversight on my part, should have just gone through his post history earlier. But I've done it now, and feel a bit better based on the bolded bits in his posts below. Thanks for all the insight as always, @Adnan.

The good thing about the French league is that it never lets me down when looking for talent. Especially CB talent who I mention below.

There's a 17 year old right footed CB playing at Lille who looks to have big potential. His name is Leny Yoro and he's already around 1.90m in height at 17 years of age. Technically he's showing a very high level where his passing is very impressing already. He looks to have the pace and the intelligence to control larger spaces in defensive transition and it wouldn't surprise me to see this lad develop into a world class CB.

Leny Yoro's potential is quite scary for a 18 year old CB and if the opportunity us there I hope we sign him.

He's still a very young CB and with time he will develop into a even more rounded CB imo. I don't believe the Lille head coach (Fonseca) relies on Yoro to progress the ball but rather relies on the more established players at CB, deeper midfield and fullback to progress the ball. But Yoro has the potential to be a progressive CB with his passing from what I've seen.

But I think from what I've seen of Yoro at Lille and what's impressed me the most is his ability to receive passes under pressure and to then retain possession at a high level. And he's only recently turned 18, and is already a strong channel defender. And I think for me he's a CB that is of a similar potential to the player Arsenal bought from Saint Ettiene at the age of 18 in William Saliba. And with more development we should see Leny Yoro developing further like we saw with Saliba who was loaned out for a few seasons.

Diomande is further ahead in his development in comparison to Yoro, who is having his breakout season in the French top flight. I'd say Diomande would be the better player for now, but Yoro can reach a high level with time and patience. Both CBs are of the correct profile imo and are players who have the ability to defend 40 yards higher up the pitch in large spaces along with having the ability on the ball to resist/evade the press in confined spaces. And to control a game in possession along with controlling the game out of possession, requires players at the back and in deeper midfield who can help resist and evade the press in possession along with having the physical and athletic capability to defend 40 yards higher up the pitch as the last line. So controlling a midfield not only requires good midfielders but also good CBs who can receive passes comfortably in confined spaces. If the opponent's high press creates problems for the CBs, then you will lose control of the midfield no matter how good the midfielders are.

^ From October-Dec last year.

The rest are from this thread.
We normally don't sign players that I have brought up early on this forum. Maybe Real Madrid are not as hot on the trail as one would imagine, hence United are still trying.

But it would be nice to see my club sign a player that I brought up early on this forum.

The overall fee is huge at €70m but that was the only way we could've got him. Madrid just weren't going to go close to that figure which is huge for a 18 year old CB. But our need was greater than there's and I have no issue with Ratcliffe shelling that much on a young player that does ticks all the boxes as far as what is required to play in a team that wants to initiate attacks from the back and defend from the front.

I hope it goes through because it'll be first for me where I bring up a player on the forum and then the club signs him.

He's a young CB that is still in the very early stages of his development as a CB, so patience will be required with him.

He's not at Martinez's level when it comes to progressing the ball and may never get to that level because Martinez is just elite in that regard. But what Yoro does have is the pace and athleticism along with fantastic poise and composure on the ball which allows him to remain calm when put under pressure. And his pace and athleticism allow him to defend on the front foot. He's a young player with a all-round skillset and even his aerial ability is strong for a young player and will improve further.

In the game today the back 3 is very common with alot of top teams where players invert to form a 3 man backline. And I think Yoro is someone who is perfectly suited to playing the backline commander role in the mid to long-term as the central CB. But he's still very young and I hope people don't have unrealistic expectations of him and I hope we sign another CB and a midfielder who is good at ball retention along with making forward passes. We lack that in this team and the more players we have who can retain the ball whilst progressing it at a good level, will make us a much stronger team in the build up phase which allows the team to dominate the game on the ball.

I think without Ratcliffe without we wouldn't have been able to sign him. There's been reports about us working on this deal since last year before INEOS even arrived. But I doubt we would've been able to sign him under the Glazer ownership because I'm not sure Joel Glazer would've sanctioned such a huge fee for a 18 year old CB. For me the credit for this goes to Ratcliffe and it does show that he's ambitious in wanting United to compete again. To sign him we had to spend big and it seems like Real Madrid were around €40m short of what we offered.

That's what we had to do hence the Lille president is said to have persuaded the player to join us because it helps Lille. The tweet below from a few days ago basically tells you the difference in ambition between the Glazer ownership and Ratcliffe.

I'll be honest with you mate, there isn't anything special as far as signing Leny Yoro goes. He's a well known young player with huge potential and it ultimately comes down to the backing you receive from the very top. Ratcliffe has provided that and these guys will do the rest. The likes of Hargreaves as the transfer negotiator with Dominic Jordan running the analytics along with Mayorga, De Sisti and Simon Wells leading the recruitment. All of this has happened in the last few years and these guys are the most crucial people as far as analysing and identifying transfer targets.

I can provide you the link via The Athletic if you want it but it was mentioned that Simon Wells runs the recruitment in England where he's in charge of identifying players domestically and Jose Mayorga and Marco De Sisti are in charge of various European leagues with Mayorga having France as one of the countries under his remit.

The money we've decided to spend on him means that we rate him extremely highly and he will be playing. I'm completely in favour of these types of moves and I like to see a young player develop and blossom into something special. I'm very patient and I expect some teething problems but i'm glad to see that we've signed a very exciting young talent.

I'll be honest we have overpaid but I couldn't care less.

Madrid don't spend big on CBs and they only wanted Yoro as back up initially per reports and their offers reflected that. I know everyone is upbeat right now and we should be. But I think we've overpaid and i'm not complaining but I don't believe we sign him without overpaying. It works for Man City and hopefully it eventually pays off for us.

Omar Berrarda negotiated the transfers at Man City and he wasted loads of money with Grealish and Kalvin Phillips being bought for ridiculous sums.

Of course they wanted him that's well documented. But they were just not willing to pay a high enough price for a young teenage talent who they didn't see as first team material for now. They wanted him as depth for now which is what the Madrid media have been reporting.

Militao was a 21/22 year old CB who had multiple seasons under his belt starting at Sao Paulo and then Europe at Porto before Madrid signed him. Did they sign him for a big fee? No, they didn't by their spending standards he was a reasonably priced early 20s CB with potential.

The point about Berrarda isn't that he should operate differently because if you want to compete with the best, then you will have to spend big. You will have to overpay at times because there isn't much evidence of anything else working against the very best teams. So this talk about INEOS aren't got to overpay has already been quashed.

You can't operate like Brighton and compete with the elite. So my original point was referring to the talk about not overpaying on players when I do believe we will have to overpay on players if we want to compete with teams who are willing to overpay.

So he was to be a backup at Madrid, being slowly eased into a starting role over the years, as opposed to a more active role with us. That, and the fact that we've overpaid, shows how we pipped Real Madrid to the signing.

I'd be very happy to have other posters' opinions from having watched him play, however. Don't think its likely given how young the kid is and where he plays.

Last edited:
What
I searched your post history as well, have you mentioned anywhere you've seen him play - couldn't find any of your reports.

Adnan was the one definite oversight on my part, should have just gone through his post history earlier. But I've done it now, and feel a bit better based on the bolded bits in his posts below. Thanks for all the insight as always, @Adnan.

So he was to be a backup at Madrid, being slowly eased into a starting role over the years, as opposed to a more active role with us. That, and the fact that we've overpaid, shows how we pipped Real Madrid to the signing.

I'd be very happy to have other posters' opinions from having watched him play, however. Don't think its likely given how young the kid is and where he plays.
Agent Adnan :)

Ineos have a team in the French league. Everyone in France has been raving about him. PSG tried to sign him, and he turned them down stating that he preferred Real Madrid. Lille wanted cash. Madrid thought they could get him on a free at the end of next season.

This outcome is good, because we can’t have Madrid getting all of the best players for free. How do you compete with that. It’s like sitting at home and Margo Robbie just pops round on the off chance that you might be up for it. We can’t let them get away with that. We have to make them work for it, like everybody else.

So what you are trying to say here - is that Adnan might have been onto something ? :)

Not completely true. I watched Lille play on multiple occasions purely to see Yoro once his name started to gain attention.

I mentioned earlier that he is still raw, but his natural abilities are phenomenal for his age. He won't be ready to play 50+ games in all competitions from this season, no way. But we are signing a huge huge talent.

We need to supplement this signing with another signing who can be relied upon when we are rotating Yoro in his earlier years.

He is the clear premier defensive talent in world football. These players are very rarely on the market.

Swear to god I just opened the Athletic app, there was a photo of him signing a contract with a story entitled “United complete Yoro signing,” before the app fully loaded and it disappeared.
you're tripping, man

I haven't really posted on here because I just don't really post much in terms of reports when we have others that enjoy it much more. But personally think he's the best CB prospect that's come around at that young of an age in a while. Excellent athleticism and pace, good frame and good in the air, and incredibly comfortable on the ball. He instantly raises our physical levels (which were in the dirt last season) and is in ideal partner for Martinez who is comfortable defending high and wide. Plays with extreme calmness/maturity for his age (most defenders that are "hyped" this young often are the other way around where they are charging and aggressive in everything they do), and the spots in his game that need improvement are ones that seem quite feasible with natural growth and development (notably that you'd like to see him win a bit more in the air, and be more adventurous with the ball going forward).

He also grades out extremely well metrics wise for duel winning, and comes from a league that is very fast and physical so he's not going to need some huge bedding in period to get used to the speed of the game. As far as beating out Madrid, yeah it seems clear that he appreciated how forward we were in agreeing fee and conveying to him that he'd instantly be an important part of the team. I don't have any issue with that, and quite frankly think people acting like this is a Di Maria situation are pretty stupid as the circumstances couldn't be more different.

The final thing, and people seem to always factor this out when talking about how "risky" a signing is, is that getting a player as highly rated as Yoro in at this age means that even in a worst case scenario where he didn't work out and grab a hole of that CB spot, he'll still be easily moved on and we'll be able to recoup much of the fee we just paid to Lille. It's why I've been so adamant in wanting us to go all out for more of these types of prospects, because it's a better risk getting them from a smaller club sooner instead of waiting for them to become "proven" at the top level and then having to break records to signs them while taking on the same risk that the player might not work out.

So what you are trying to say here - is that Adnan might have been onto something ? :)

Who is Adnan? :p

Nah, I'm saying it's funny how a large majority of posters are getting excited about a signing based on hype and no first hand evidence.

I was also saying none of us, literally, have watched the kid play. But finding Adnan's posts made me eat humble pie (and also feel a bit relieved about where we are throwing money), so I'll revise it to 'almost none of us have watched the kid play'.

I'd never seen Antony, and look how that turned out. Or Onana. Or Van de Beek. The only young player I'd seen play before a big money move to us in recent times, Sancho, turned out to be a dud.

We have good reason to be skeptical.

this is exactly what talent acquisition is about. Finding the next big thing is always a gamble but you can’t stand still if you want to be the best again. If Yoro doesn’t develop there will always be another player breaking through who looks potentially top class. Madrid just gamble on these players over and over until it eventually works for them.

Same tactics to get players to run down their contract. His current deal runs another 3 years. They could sign him for pretty cheap if he doesn't sign a new contract in 1-2 years.
Whats cheap?

5 years with us to turn him into the finished article... before his inevitable move to Madrid and the peak years of his career.
Who said Madrid won't sign Saliba, or any of the other big talents?

No, let's sign players who don't clearly see us as a stepping stone to Madrid.

There are other young central defenders out there, we've been linked to most of them.
Leny Yoro isn't some boyhood Madrid fan who is desperate to go to Madrid.

He was given the option of Madrid, United, PSG and Liverpool. He preferred Real Madrid.

He couldve literally gone there for free and signed a huge signing on fee in less than 12 months. He could've stuck it out until January and Lille probably would've accepted peanuts at that stage.

He is at United, there is a significant chance he will be here in 10 years time if things go well.

Do people really think Real Madrid are going to be waiting around for a Center Back for 5 years?

Might the come in for him? Sure. But I hardly think he's gonna be top of their priority list. They'll just move one.
It's actually silly isn't it.

Its Madrid, they will have to replace Rudiger and Alaba in the next 2 years, they will find the next two best talents and sign them up.

Hopefully they do us a favor and take Saliba from Arsenal, or one of City's centre backs.

noun
noun: cope; plural noun: copes
a long, loose cloak worn by a priest or bishop on ceremonial occasions.
TECHNICAL•LITERARY
a thing resembling or likened to a cloak.
"the outer shell of clay is called the cope"

Can we stop this Twitter / Reddit shit or whatever it is?

Say less

We're getting our transfer business done early?! I thought we were supposed to dither around chasing unobtainable targets until we panic buy and overpay for our 3rd choice targets at the very end of the window?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.