Leny Yoro | 8pm announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last year of the contract wasn’t relevant to anyone but Madrid.

The threat of leaving for nothing is what effects selling price as a contract runs down. If he was going to leave for nothing it was going to be to Madrid and if we were trying to buy him from Madrid this time next year, we wouldn’t have a hope and even if we did, it would be for a lot more money than this.

We needed to offer a price that Lille would accept, and Madrid would refuse to match. We did and it’s worked - whether that play pays off will only become clear in time.

That makes sense. In the end the price of a player matters less if the player is actually good and performs well for the team. But yeah, what you say makes sense, especially the final paragraph.

I’m just going by what the thread title says. I haven’t followed the transfer saga.
Believe half of what you hear and none of what you read. Especially if it's on the caf.

You’d imagine they must have met each other at Carrington today. It’s too random that of all the players he could have followed this evening, Wheatley was the guy.
Same age bracket. Maybe wanted to get a view on how United handle younger players.

So excited by this signing. He looks special. He covers ground like its nothing and is fearless on the ball. My kind of centre back. Kind of plays like Rio in a way.

Nice to see us do the business quickly and land a very promising young CB that actually has real minutes in him for the first team

You’d imagine they must have met each other at Carrington today. It’s too random that of all the players he could have followed this evening, Wheatley was the guy.
Maybe introduce them so he can show him around the city? He's a local isn't he?
That would be a sensible thing to do to grease the wheels wouldn't it?

The YouTube videos look meh. I am looking forward to seeing him in a United shirt. It will be interesting to see what the Real Madrid and United scouts see in him.

Maybe introduce them so he can show him around the city? He's a local isn't he?
That would be a sensible thing to do to grease the wheels wouldn't it?

Would be very sensible.

I remember the Talk of Devils podcast when Wheatley made match squads towards the end of the season, saying that he has a great head on his shoulders.

The YouTube videos look meh. I am looking forward to seeing him in a United shirt. It will be interesting to see what the Real Madrid and United scouts see in him.
you’d expect at least 1 overhead kick goal from an 18 year old that costs that much.

Nice to see us showing some smarts in this window, sharper operating than previous dithering.

This was a great move to use Madrid's reluctance to pay the fee against them. They clearly wanted to get this done on the cheap by leveraging the players wishes, probably half thinking the free transfer was in play

Our opportunity was convincing Lille which was easy enough and then being attractive enough to the player. Of course it involves paying a fair chunk for the privilege but it's for a special talent and to steal a march.

This is actually quite funny to read. The quoted bits below are the highlights from the article.

"Evertonians, Goodison Park chiefs and everyone who has watched ‘The Carlisle Kaiser’ over recent months – including United in the heart of hearts – know Branthwaite’s true worth."

"As well as being assured on the ball, man mountain Branthwaite is not only an incredible physical specimen who looks like he could overhead press the willowy Yoro, he’s had the Premier League’s biggest and baddest strikers regularly bouncing off him. Given the £80million fee that Manchester United paid for Harry Maguire in 2019, the £75million Chelsea paid for Wesley Fofana in 2022 and the £77million Manchester City paid for Josko Gvardiol in 2023, Everton consider Branthwaite to be in the same bracket, especially given the premium for both left-footed defenders and homegrown talent, and rightly so."

you’d expect at least 1 overhead kick goal from an 18 year old that costs that much.
He just looked weak, going to ground often. Given that he is 18 and not fully developed it is to be expected. It still surprising that he is sought after by the biggest clubs in the world. Like I said I will be interested to see him in a game.

He just looked weak, going to ground often. Given that he is 18 and not fully developed it is to be expected. It still surprising that he is sought after by the biggest clubs in the world. Like I said I will be interested to see him in a game.

Me too. I’m looking forward to seeing what greater wall off RedCafe sees in him that the scouts at Man United, Real Madrid, PSG and Liverpool missed.

We could be in for something special with this one. Mega signing.

Only watched him half a dozen times or so in senior football since he made his debut as a 16 yo, but he is definitely the most special CB I have seen at his age. Composure on the ball, pace and athleticism, and most impressively, he seems a brilliant reader of the game. Senses threats quite early and positions himself well to stop them, which is very rare for someone his age.

Think he is just a bit casual at times which obviously to be expected of a young player. Goes without saying but fans need to be patient with him as he adjusts to the league, he is still a kid and will get caught out at times.

Absolutely buzzing

Not only have we got a highly rated young defender in but we’ve told the fecks at Everton to do one and now they’re in shambles

No longer should we be held ransom on a player we simply move on. There’s not a club in world football paying 70m for Branthwait the greedy bastards

The thing is, at 18 years old the kid would have to be an astronomical failure for us not to recoup a fair bit of money if he flops.

If he succeeds, and eventually wants to leave, we would be looking at an insane transfer fee as long as we keep on top of his contract situation.

Best case scenario, he becomes one of the best and stays at the club throughout his career.

Win, win, win.

Me too. I’m looking forward to seeing what greater wall off RedCafe sees in him that the scouts at Man United, Real Madrid, PSG and Liverpool missed.
I am just a fan and am entitled to an opinion like anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.