Leny Yoro | 8pm announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if this has been posted already but here are his games against Villa last season for a bit of context against a Premier League team:

Great talent but looks a little bit lightweight. Will need to pack on muscle and be given time to grow.

It'd be mental to throw him in straight away.

Hopefully we sign De Ligt otherwise we're stuck with a Maguire/Martinez partnership.

I think we'll want another more mature CB and this guy will be the first choice backup. That'll give him 30 starts a season across all comps plus a bunch of sub appearances, while still giving him the time he needs to develop.

Yeah I reckon so too

Also got a bit of Wallace from The Wire in him (Michael B. Jordan)

Wallace_The_Wire.jpg

Everton fans are being very weird about this on twitter. As an example:

I like Branthwaite, but really not sure I'd describe him as a 'generational' talent, even when it's used as liberally as it is these days

Great talent but looks a little bit lightweight. Will need to pack on muscle and be given time to grow.

Hopefully we sign De Ligt otherwise we're stuck with a Maguire/Martinez partnership.

It's not so much that he needs to pack on muscle; it's more that he needs a summer regimen of strict strength and power training.

It's a bit of a misnomer on the Caf that you need to put on bulk to get stronger. If you train for power and strength and stay in the low rep ranges then you minimise having to carry significantly more muscle mass and you still benefit from being stronger.

I like Branthwaite, but really not sure I'd describe him as a 'generational' talent, even when it's used as liberally as it is these days
An Everton fan drove all the way to London on his day off to say feck the PL to their office door when they got deducted points. They collectively have the IQ of a dead squirrel.

Yoro is literally going be a prime Varane incarnation. Any credible sources rate him as best young CB in world. This is a major signing and one we should rightly be excited about !!!

Reactions: Raoul
Is no one worried about how gormless this kid looks?

Like, I'm not saying we should sign players based purely on their appearance. But is it right to completely ignore it?

And presumably that's the BEST picture they have of him.

Reactions: moses
The Everton-fans remind me a bit about the guy who tells another guy: Are you staring at my wife ? And when the other guy says "NO" the first guy replies "Why aren't you looking at my wife - don't you think she is good enough for you ?"

Obviously Madrid wanted him as the depth/development CB, it's part of why we lured him away. But to say they don't spend heavy on young CB's is just incorrect, and trying to say Militao doesn't count because he's "established" at Porto as a 21 year old is just disingenous. And Berrada under United is clearly going to operate differently than he did with City's unlimited checkbook, I don't think Yoro is evidence that he'll just overpay for everyone. Considering the going rate for top level CB prospects is essentially what we paid (50m ballpark), it's not like we just spanked the budget on a teenager.

As for you bringing up Yoro in posts, I didn't mention that either way and it was never my point.
Of course they wanted him that's well documented. But they were just not willing to pay a high enough price for a young teenage talent who they didn't see as first team material for now. They wanted him as depth for now which is what the Madrid media have been reporting.

Militao was a 21/22 year old CB who had multiple seasons under his belt starting at Sao Paulo and then Europe at Porto before Madrid signed him. Did they sign him for a big fee? No, they didn't by their spending standards he was a reasonably priced early 20s CB with potential.

The point about Berrarda isn't that he should operate differently because if you want to compete with the best, then you will have to spend big. You will have to overpay at times because there isn't much evidence of anything else working against the very best teams. So this talk about INEOS aren't got to overpay has already been quashed.

You can't operate like Brighton and compete with the elite. So my original point was referring to the talk about not overpaying on players when I do believe we will have to overpay on players if we want to compete with teams who are willing to overpay.

He's 6'3, he'll be fine. Don't think people realise how good this player actually is. Most seemed fine with Branthwaite being a starter but not Yoro. Yoro is already at the very least on a similar level to Branthwaite (and arguably already better). You don't sign a "generational talent" to just not play him (unless you're Real Madrid). I'm sure playing time was one of the biggest factors in him agreeing to join us.

Like, I'm not saying we should sign players based purely on their appearance. But is it right to completely ignore it?

So Rooney failed?

Wayne Rooney is literally our top scorer.

The reaction to this from some weirdo Everton fans and Everton journalists on Twitter is bizarre to say the least. Utd bid for their player a couple times. Decide not to meet the high valuation and moved on. Now it apparently vindicates Everton and they’ve shown us up? Proper weird.

He's 18, he will bulk out within 2 years.

Of course they wanted him that's well documented. But they were just not willing to pay a high enough price for a young teenage talent who they didn't see as first team material for now. They wanted him as depth for now which is what the Madrid media have been reporting.

Militao was a 21/22 year old CB who had multiple seasons under his belt starting at Sao Paulo and then Europe at Porto before Madrid signed him. Did they sign him for a big fee? No, they didn't by their spending standards he was a reasonably priced early 20s CB with potential.

The point about Berrarda isn't that he should operate differently because if you want to compete with the best, then you will have to spend big. You will have to overpay at times because there isn't much evidence of anything else working against the very best teams. So this talk about INEOS aren't got to overpay has already been quashed.

You can't operate like Brighton and compete with the elite. So my original point was referring to the talk about not overpaying on players when I do believe we will have to overpay on players if we want to compete with teams who are willing to overpay.

Precisely this.

I think the best we should hope for is that if we overpay for players it is at least those with their best years ahead of them.

I'm assuming he's the Bellingham equivalent of centre back and we are his Dortmund.

He's a good header of the ball but a bit lightweight.
On the other hand I was never sure that Branthwaite was the perfect man for us.

While I won't deny the rumours link us strongly with him, that's what many people said about Neymar, Pogba and Haaland as well.

Experience has taught me to be skeptical and nowadays the talent is more shared among different clubs in Europe.
History repeats itself...

It's fun to listen to Anfield Agenda - the guy is having a go at FSG for Liverpool not trying to sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.