Leny Yoro | 8pm announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fee is huge for a player with time running down on his contract, but how many 18 year old CBs do you battle Real Madrid and the top clubs for? How many 18 year olds that Rio compares to Van Dijk? How many 18 year old CBs that come in already with experience of 38 starts and 8 sub appearances in a decent league? etc

There may never be another 18 year old CB to sign like him. And signing him at such an age we can hope he stays 5-10 years and build a defence around him so its a great oppertunity for a strong foundation going forward.

Yes of course if you could get the same player on a free transfer the next year even better. But why would he have chosen us in that scenario when we already know it was Madrid and even if it wasnt, we're hardly in a position where he's going to choose us over other english clubs, let alone foreign clubs that are likely to win their leagues in the next 2 seasons.

So yeah paying for him is clearly our only winning strategy to get him in and show him how much we want him compared to others who would want him. And hopefully he will repay that with loyalty if he decides to sign.

If his trajectory goes as expected, and we sell him to Madrid or Barcelona in a few years' time, his fee will break the current world record for any defender ever sold and be in the triple-digits.

Why have United fans adopted these "if we sell him to Madrid or Barca" fanfiction scenarios? As if these clubs have been picking us apart or something? Barca can barely pay their electric bill and Real, as evidenced, doesn't really have an easy fight against us (and we're at our worst in decades).

Is this all trauma from Ronaldo?

Last edited:
It's a bit scary in a tragic way - that when we are signing one of the most talented defenders in modern football - there are people complaining about the price.
Indeed. Some completely lack the understanding of how we had to blow Madrid’s offer out of the water so that we could complete this transfer. Who cares about the price? It’s not our money

Big money for him and obviously the jury is still out for him but he touted as the best under 20 CB in Europe, with huge potential, hopefully he develops to his full potential

Could be best project we can sign this window, and from linked younger players to United, only João Neves and Xavi Simons come close.

Still whole August ahead to find for more talents, but It definitely picking up speed now, in the right time.

Why have United fans adopted these "if we sell him to Madrid or Barca" fanfiction scenarios? As if these clubs have been picking us apart or something? Barca can barely pay theor electric bill and Real, as evidenced, doesn't really have an easy fight against them (and we're at our worst in decades).

I said "if". I'm not saying it's certain that this will happen. There's no trauma here. I don't think these clubs will ever be "picking us apart", as players can usually act like grown ups about this, and respect both their employers and current contract. Just look at City. Not one player from their squad was dreaming about playing for them, and yet they're not forcing their way out, even if they would like to leave at some point. Gündogan only decided to leave for Barca after there was nothing left for him to achieve at City. I'm sure Bernardo Silva would also rather be at Barcelona by now, but he hasn't kicked up a fuss either. I'm sure Rodri would love it if his contract didn't still have 3 years left so he could go to Madrid or Barca right now, but he'll probably wait out those 3 years. Just based on Yoro's decision he made yesterday, I'm sure he won't leave us the minute he becomes a world class defender or the minute there's interest from other clubs...but there's a scenario where he doesn't spend his peak years at United. I'll be fine with that, because we're likely making huge profit on him, unless he runs his contract down.

Last edited:
Have we now ? Ask Arsenal, City or Liverpool-fans if they would want Yoro for that sum....the majority would say yes. In my book - that is an indication that we didn't overpay
I think most fans would want to see the player sign for their club and what's important to them is the action on the pitch. But i'll be honest with you, €62m + €8m in add ons for a young 18 year old player with a year left on his deal is overpaying. Of course he's a huge talent and i'm personally very happy that he's going to join us but we've spent a very high sum for Leny Yoro.

Madrid wouldn't go anywhere near our bid and PSG went as far as putting in a €35m + €5m offer and wouldn't go higher per Loic Tanzi in the tweet below. We really need this kid to come good for us.

For a player with just one year left on contract, yes. But otherwise definitely below market value.

I think United fans shouldn't really care about the price. You got a very talented young player to dream on and that's the bottom line.

But I don't see how you can possibly argue he is below market value. I struggle to think of any 18-year-old defender sold for anywhere near that price.

Its like buying a famous Picasso. There is no real market, just whatever somebody can be convinced to pay for a fairly unique asset that isn't replicable if you move on to the next option. Real tried to lowball Lille at 20+10, United blew them out of the water at 62+8. Who knows what the market price really should be.

If his trajectory goes as expected, and we sell him to Madrid or Barcelona in a few years' time, his fee will break the current world record for any defender ever sold and be in the triple-digits. I'd say there are three players currently out there in world football, who can potentially break the world record within the next few years: Yoro, Saliba and Gvardiol. Can't really think of anyone else. It's clear that this kid is the level of talent we need to be acquiring in order to reach City, Madrid, and Arsenal's level.

Given how this one is playing out it looks like Madrid just expect them to turn up on a free, rather than actually spending money.

As I said earlier in the thread, it's a crappy approach. Whilst I understand there's a mercenary nature in sport, I wonder how a young player feels when a club they want to go to tells them to sit tight for a year and join on a free. Places all the risk on the player with the possibility they may suffer a serious injury, and also screws a club that helped them develop into the player they are at that point. I like to think I'd take a dim view of it in that situation.

I think United fans shouldn't really care about the price. You got a very talented young player to dream on and that's the bottom line.

But I don't see how you can possibly argue he is below market value. I struggle to think of any 18-year-old defender sold for anywhere near that price.

Its like buying a famous Picasso. There is no real market, just whatever somebody can be convinced to pay for a fairly unique asset that isn't replicable if you move on to the next option. Real tried to lowball Lille at 20+10, United blew them out of the water at 62+8. Who knows what the market price really should be.
The market price is whatever you make it. United made Lille an offer they couldn’t refuse while Pérez thought the players agents would keep him from signing elsewhere. He forgot that they don’t care about his shiny Champion’s League trophies. Lille got their money, we got our man.

Please change Euros in the thread title to Yoros please please.

Really excited about his potential signing. He’s my cb alongside Martinez for my United save in EA Fc.

That's a huge chunk of our budget to spend on an 18 year old coming into a much more physically demanding league. No doubt he has the potential to be a world beater, but you'd expect him to be coming in as a starter at that price. Expectation will be huge.

How’s that of any relevance in the Leny Yoro thread? It was before he was even born? Weird post
What’s weird is all the negativity and inferiority to RM.

Before it was “he’s going Madrid , he’ll never choose us other them” now it’s “Madrid didn’t want him “ or “let’s not pretend it’s not because we offered a ton more RM”

So my point is valid. When Real Madrid started building their reputation as the club that “players dream of joining” they did it by offering a what other clubs were not willing to pay. Figo is the most symbolic signing of that project because they signed him from Barcelona.

So instead of looking at the negatives. Let’s look at the pros. Great job by INEOS, when you consider the previous regime couldn’t convince Klopp to join us. And it’s a great way for us to establish our own reputation as the club that can beat RM to players. Of course we need to start winning titles.

Once again We are getting done in transfer market. This guy is not better than what We have and to play that money is not normal. We never learn.

Signed a young ludacris.

But surely we will also bring in De Ligt. No chance an 18 year old can play regularly in the prem and perform consistently.

Why have United fans adopted these "if we sell him to Madrid or Barca" fanfiction scenarios? As if these clubs have been picking us apart or something? Barca can barely pay theor electric bill and Real, as evidenced, doesn't really have an easy fight against them (and we're at our worst in decades).

And De Gea. And, I suspect, a little bit of dread about Garnacho in the future.

People moaning about the prize. Donyou think we could fight off RM or PSG by offering the same? You guys need a serious reality check.
Getting one of the most talented U20 player was obviously worth what we spend. And rightly so. I remember people complaining about Rooneys fee too

To me the ideal scenario is that he develops and grows into the central defender who all think he will be, and sell to Madrid, Bayern or PSG in 4 years for £100 million. Then rinse and repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.