Leny Yoro | 8pm announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit of a boring one, but with the fee spread out over installments/years, it does matter which currency the deal is negotiated in due to fluctuating exchange rates - I assume it's been agreed in Euros going by the reports?

Difficult one, he’s clearly one of the top talents in Europe but the problem is he will be Madrid bound during his prime if he comes good. We will be lucky to get 2 years of his prime and will have to retool again.
It’s up to us as a club to make it a difficult decision to make by being a force once more, and if we’re not, we won’t be able to keep hold of elite talent anyway.

I think what Chelsea are doing is something that will eventually bear fruit for them. I think Ratcliffe will know that competing with Chelsea and Man City is something that has to happen and i'm sure we will see us make even more high potential signings in the very near future. Even if we look at Arsenal, things started to improve once Josh Kroenke started to take a active role in improving things unlike his father who didn't seem to really care too much about winning.

As far as Yoro is concerned, we need to be patient with him because most players his age and in his position are still playing youth football. But I do think he will play a number of games this season and I do expect him to show us why he's amongst the highest rated young CBs in Europe.

Yep I agree, it's hard enough for an established CB to move to the PL let alone an 18yo. The fact that RM and Liverpool were in for him gives me confidence and I think he'll be our starter and not a rotation option.

Hopefully some errors as he adjusts to the league but starts bossing it by the end of the year.

We've caught Madrid cold on this one. Can see them Barging in a little too late, like Will in the Inbetweeners, with us being Patrice, and Lenny being Charlotte Hinchcliffe

Looks like an exciting talent. But 62M fee with 1 year contract left, is just extremely bad business. Typical something the old board will do and been criticized for.
The board had to gazump Real Madrid with a big offer. This player is seen as a generational talent. He is very young with resale value. I do not think we can criticise the club for moving like they have here, in fact we should be praising the board.

We've caught Madrid cold on this one. Can see them Barging in a little too late, like Will in the Inbetweeners, with us being Patrice, and Lenny being Charlotte Hinchcliffe
your mother she has the sex

Looks like an exciting talent. But 62M fee with 1 year contract left, is just extremely bad business. Typical something the old board will do and been criticized for.
The old board would’ve done that for a 27-28 year old. Different story when he’s 18 and should have strong resale value after his 5 years should you want/need to sell him. Don’t know if he’s any good but it’s laudable as a strategy and I’d have a lot more trust in Ashworth/Vivell/Wilcox picking a player than John Murtough. A long time since Utd were in a battle for a good player, usually we’ve been the only sucker in the room bidding against ourselves.

Does Ornstein always being right outweigh Luckhurst always being wrong?

Difficult one, he’s clearly one of the top talents in Europe but the problem is he will be Madrid bound during his prime if he comes good. We will be lucky to get 2 years of his prime and will have to retool again.
Chill out. We’re getting a top, top talent. Don’t let your fear of future sorrows drown out the joy.

Maybe he’ll go there, maybe he won’t. Ronaldo did, De Gea didn’t.

Sit back and enjoy your ride on the Leny train!

What happened to monitoring the situation and preparing the bid ? :devil:

Nice to have been on such a gentle muppet train (apart from all the tedious comments about Real coming back in for him in a few years time) We are at a point in our history where we need to develop our next great team. To do that we need to add players with clear world class potential and a clear first team pathway. We also probably need to step on other teams toes as the market has become so competitive and we need to reassert how big of a club we are. Great signing! Yoro and Neves was my muppet dream summer… let’s see where Neves ends up. We are also far richer than we are publicly letting on. That’s good strategy. Finally.

#WALKAWAY

He only wants Madrid. We're being taken for a ride.

I haven't missed anything since yesterday have I?

Thank God we were able to close this deal. A bit expensive with one year remaining on his contract, but let's hope he proves a bargain in a couple of years time. I am sure the overall package over 5 years with the wages is still less than the other guy we were after.

Now sell Mason, Scott & AWB and go get a LCB, LB and a DLP.

Just had a trawl of Madrid's reddit page. The bitterness is a sight to behold. Claiming Yoro turned them down for a bigger paycheck and calling United a 'footballing graveyard'. They seem to be oblivious to the fact Madrid didn't match our offer and seem to think Yoro was a wrong un for not running down his contract and depriving Lille of many millions. Jaysus, the entitlement :lol:

Anymore Madrid bound than Saliba?

Generational talent. We had to move quickly & swiftly to get this one over the line. I wouldn't say it's bad business, we got ourselves the best young CB talent out there I would argue.

The 1 year on his contract at Lille was entirely irrelevant to us.

As far as we were concerned, he had 1 year plus however many years he would've signed on with Madrid for next summer if we hadn't made a move beyond what Madrid were prepared to pay right now.

I am delighted with the signing but €70m just so we can deter Madrid from signing him for free in 5 months time. Heck of a fee. I know there will be extra pressure on the kid now.

Madrid were in for the player. We needed to show we meant business and that we valued him highly.

Yep I agree, it's hard enough for an established CB to move to the PL let alone an 18yo. The fact that RM and Liverpool were in for him gives me confidence and I think he'll be our starter and not a rotation option.

Hopefully some errors as he adjusts to the league but starts bossing it by the end of the year.

The money we've decided to spend on him means that we rate him extremely highly and he will be playing. I'm completely in favour of these types of moves and I like to see a young player develop and blossom into something special. I'm very patient and I expect some teething problems but i'm glad to see that we've signed a very exciting young talent.

I think you got to weigh the pros and cons here. It’s a big fee while the salary is lesser compared for someone like De Ligt but the potential is huge and if he lives up to it and even gives us 6-8 years I think it’s worth it.

The money we've decided to spend on him means that we rate him extremely highly and he will be playing. I'm completely in favour of these types of moves and I like to see a young player develop and blossom into something special. I'm very patient and I expect some teething problems but i'm glad to see that we've signed a very exciting young talent.
Soooo, in your mind, imagining you were constructing the team this window, who is the halfway house CB you’d sign who think would look equally good next Martinez or Yoro, who is also eclectic enough to feature in a back three? :confused:

Explains why the De Ligt came to a standstill as this one was hotting up and why we didn't go in with an offer Everton couldn't refuse for Branthwaite

Still worried Madrid will cave, match our bid and ultimately hijack the deal. And considering Madrid are his preferred destination I can see him happily jumping on the next flight to Madrid fresh out of his United medical :lol:

Yes I'm a natural pessimist, but also remember the Obi Mikel (non-)signing, as well as the admittedly hilarious Chelsea hijack of Arsenal/Liverpool targets (who incidentally mostly ended up being shite).

Need a 'here we go' to alleviate the fear of 'comunicado oficial'.

Status
Not open for further replies.