Leny Yoro | 8pm announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ornstein said from the off it was an inital 62m Euros, he just didn't specify until now what it was rising to.

I'm honestly more worried about how much we gave Mendes for the deal than the add-ons. 50m EUR seems like the base. Quite a big chunk of the add-ons I assume will be moderately hard or straight up hard to achieve so if he hits those the transfer would be worth it.

e.g., Utd win the league / get CL and he plays 30g in that season etc.

Looks like an exciting talent. But 62M fee with 1 year contract left, is just extremely bad business. Typical something the old board will do and been criticized for.

I don't particularly recall the old board ever being criticised for beating clubs like Real Madrid to the brightest young talents.

In fact in hindsight I suspect most here wish we had done more to secure players like Camavinga/Tchouameni/Bellingham rather than help Madrid's bank balance by signing Casemiro at the opposite end of the age spectrum. That's the sort of deal the old board should be criticised for.

Completely agree. I agree we need to be patient with Yoro . I made a similar point yesterday in another thread. It will be way too much pressure on him way too soon if he's a starting CB for us right away.
Agreed. I think he'll play a good number of games but it will be a good idea to rotate him because he's still very young. Of course rival fans and pundits will jump on every little mistake he makes and point the fee we've paid. But good performances eventually shut everyone up.

It's a bit scary in a tragic way - that when we are signing one of the most talented defenders in modern football - there are people complaining about the price.

I hadn‘t even heard of the kid before we placed a bid a few days ago, tbh.
Fee seems steep, but I hope our scouts did a good job and it turns out to be a brilliant investment :)

I don't particularly recall the old board ever being criticised for beating clubs like Real Madrid to the brightest young talents.

In fact in hindsight I suspect most here wish we had done more to secure players like Camavinga/Tchouameni/Bellingham rather than help Madrid's bank balance by signing Casemiro at the opposite end of the age spectrum. That's the sort of deal the old board should be criticised for.

With Bellingham we at least tried - but OGS said that Haaland would have played for United if they had listened to him.

Absolute steal, this one. Does anyone still complain about the fee to sign Rio? Exactly. Leny will look like an even bigger steal in a decade’s time!

Looks like an exciting talent. But 62M fee with 1 year contract left, is just extremely bad business. Typical something the old board will do and been criticized for.
Snore.

52M is a very good price, dont know why people are complaining. If he fulfills his potential and wins stuff with us, it rises to 58M max.

Still worried Madrid will cave, match our bid and ultimately hijack the deal. And considering Madrid are his preferred destination I can see him happily jumping on the next flight to Madrid fresh out of his United medical :lol:

Yes I'm a natural pessimist, but also remember the Obi Mikel (non-)signing, as well as the admittedly hilarious Chelsea hijack of Arsenal/Liverpool targets (who incidentally mostly ended up being shite).

Need a 'here we go' to alleviate the fear of 'comunicado oficial'.

Yeah I can totally understand feeling like that

He'll definitely be starting I reckon. Firstly because of his fee (and I'm guessing we promised him considerable game time to entice him), and also because he's almost certainly already better than the likes of Lindelof and Maguire.

When he officially signs whoever makes the performance thread must remember to put a countdown until he leaves for Madrid.

i don’t have a good feeling about this one. i’ve got a mate on the inside and apparently ratcliffe has already been to see him and asked him to remove the real madrid crest wallpaper from his phone. apparently yoro stared off into the distance, before his agent nudged him and offered him a £50 note to wipe away his tears with. he eventually removed it, but refused to put a united one on there. he just used a screenshot of his hargreaves lansdown portfolio instead.

He'll definitely be starting I reckon. Firstly because of his fee (and I'm guessing we promised him considerable game time to entice him), and also because he's almost certainly already better than the likes of Lindelof and Maguire.
He's not almost certainly better than them. He's certainly got more talent and potential, people need to chill out, he will make mistakes.

Are we absolutely sure this isn't a wind up?

It feels a bit like celebrating a winning goal before VAR intervenes... :rolleyes:

With Everton asking for ridiculous 70m pounds for Branthwaite, I am glad that united are looking at a number of options including Yoro, instead of paying off the roof for one target.

This at least shows we are not going to be pushed around easily. How we pay that much for Antony still shocks me.

Is he pacey?

All I want beside Licha is someone tall and fast.

He's not almost certainly better than them. He's certainly got more talent and potential, people need to chill out, he will make mistakes.
Nothing is certain, but he's hardly replacing Varane. He'd be replacing two very average CBs. You'd hope he's a clear improvement over them.

And yes I fully expect him to ride out a few rough mistakes, but would still expect our defence to be far more stable and dynamic with a talent like him in it compared to our existing alternatives.

With Everton asking for ridiculous 70m pounds for Branthwaite, I am glad that united are looking at a number of options including Yoro, instead of paying off the roof for one target.

This at least shows we are not going to be pushed around easily. How we pay that much for Antony still shocks me.

TBF 62m + 8m EUR (58M GBP max) would've probably got us Branthwaite.
If he breaks his nose will he become The Mask of Yoro?

:lol:
I knew AnxietyCafe would try to spoil this.

But what if he's [insert negative concern here]?

We've been burned too many times by big money signings to hope. But they pull us in one last time ...

52M is a very good price, dont know why people are complaining. If he fulfills his potential and wins stuff with us, it rises to 58M max.

If his trajectory goes as expected, and we sell him to Madrid or Barcelona in a few years' time, his fee will break the current world record for any defender ever sold and be in the triple-digits. I'd say there are three players currently out there in world football, who can potentially break the world record within the next few years: Yoro, Saliba and Gvardiol. Can't really think of anyone else. It's clear that this kid is the level of talent we need to be acquiring in order to reach City, Madrid, and Arsenal's level.

I do find this view exhausting. People cry out for us to go for the best upcoming talents, we do that, and now you get these comments.

People already hand wringing about what will happen in 3-5 years before the lad even kicked a ball in a Red Devil shirt.

I feel that cycles in football are like 5-6 years now. It seems United is targeting players young enough to be part of a core that could carry that long and possibly retain good value. Would suck if he left when reaching a very high peak but hopefully for proper compensation... More importantly we'll worry about that when we're there.

Nothing is certain, but he's hardly replacing Varane. He'd be replacing two very average CBs. You'd hope he's a clear improvement over them.

And yes I fully expect him to ride out a few rough mistakes, but would still expect our defence to be far more stable and dynamic with a talent like him in it compared to our existing alternatives.
I totally agree he shouldn't be expected to replace Varane either. He's got the scope to exceed what both have achieved here, but it's harsh on those two to say very average. Maguire for instance is a very good asset in a team properly set up to accommodate his flaws.

Dynamic, sure, but stable might be a push. I hope he hits the ground running, but he will need to bed into the squad, team and adapt to the league quickly. I think we just need to temper expectations here, because the narrative he's just going to come in and be better than a very experienced premier league CB in Maguire, is a recipe to label him a flop very quickly.

Fair play Ineos. Have to tip my hat to them. Didn't think they would pull it off. What a signing. Now we need the midfield version of this.

I'll be honest we have overpaid but I couldn't care less.

Have we now ? Ask Arsenal, City or Liverpool-fans if they would want Yoro for that sum....the majority would say yes. In my book - that is an indication that we didn't overpay

Have we now ? Ask Arsenal, City or Liverpool-fans if they would want Yoro for that sum....the majority would say yes. In my book - that is an indication that we didn't overpay
I agree. Think it's more the fact that he's out of contract next year. I'm delighted personally though.

Although you would've had to ask them a week ago. No way they are gonna admit that now!

i don’t have a good feeling about this one. i’ve got a mate on the inside and apparently ratcliffe has already been to see him and asked him to remove the real madrid crest wallpaper from his phone. apparently yoro stared off into the distance, before his agent nudged him and offered him a £50 note to wipe away his tears with. he eventually removed it, but refused to put a united one on there. he just used a screenshot of his hargreaves lansdown portfolio instead.

Yoro loss.

I’m surprised Chelsea had not bought him two years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.