Leny Yoro | 8pm announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think coming to United over Real Madrid is better for the player's personal development because he's going to get plenty of game time at United because you don't pay a big fee for a 18 year old CB if he's not going to be a regular.

At Madrid they wanted Yoro to provide depth and be a backup initially per reports from Spain hence their offers reflected that.

My man looks like a young Hercule Poirot. I hope he cracks the case of our leaky defence

DBg0wJp.png

My personal favourite..

We must remember to thank them for their generosity.

The demise of Liverpool over the next few years is going to be so much fun to watch. No Klopp, Salah, Robertson, Van Dijk all on the decline, Trent’s contract expiring next summer. Shit pulling power leaving them back to signing Martin Skrytls and Andy Carrols soon enough :smirk:

I don’t think we’ll be successful in the sense of challenging for the league next season but the squad with Yoro and Branthwaite/Hancko would be far better positioned to move up the table and compete in Europa whilst realistically developing year on year.

In an ideal world you get all three and shift both Maguire and Lindelof.

Unless we go for the inverted W and sign an M?
No, I agree the league is probably beyond us, but I think we probably want a bit more experience to be replacing Varane + Kambwala than Yoro and Branthwaite/Hancko. I just said in the other thread, Evans is a LCB, so it could be better to sign a RCB in De Ligt and spend money on a proper LB. Shaw can also fill in comfortably at LCB.

Now were really getting into the tenuous links, I'm here for it!

I don’t think we’ll be successful in the sense of challenging for the league next season but the squad with Yoro and Branthwaite/Hancko would be far better positioned to move up the table and compete in Europa whilst realistically developing year on year.

In an ideal world you get all three and shift both Maguire and Lindelof.

Unless we go for the inverted W and sign an M?

Signing 3 would be silly. I'd definitely still sign De Ligt and then sell both Maguire and Lindelof. They'll both have a market this summer because of their contract situations.

Gives you a season to look at Martinez and if his fitness issues are still a problem, I'd put him on the market next summer to fund another CB.

Hey hey fella, I'm not going to celebrate for real until he's in the shirt and they're drying the ink on the contract with a hairdryer!

Your point about INEOS and the guys they've put in charge still stands though. I wouldn't be surprised if their contacts in French football have helped get us into the serious mix for this transfer.

Will be very pleased if it does come off. I like both De Ligt and Branthwaite but this feels a much better use of resources and the kind of young player we should always be looking to sign.

Sounds almost a formality now, enjoy it.

Slightly annoying we'll now see the constant Saliba vs Yoro comparisons from both sets of fans, was bad enough with Scousers seeing constant Saliba vs Konate comparisons.

Speaking of which, time for nosey over to RAWK.

Branthwaite, 21, is valued at between £70m and £80m by Everton while the 18-year-old Yoro is joining United for an initial £52m.

It is understood figures at Everton are surprised United have agreed a steep fee for a defender three years younger than Branthwaite who is out of contract next year, has no international experience and plays in Ligue 1.

I’m going to be the first to admit that I’d never actually heard of him until this thread let alone see him play but either way - feck you Madrid, suck on my Yoro.

That's what I thought even from his highlights. Goes to ground too easily and inconsistent with his tackling. Also lacking in physicality since he's still young.
There is also footage of him doing superbly and even matching Mbappé. The truth will be somewhere in the middle. That video in isolation looks like a hatchet job. Expectations can be fair and tempered instead of one extreme, or indeed, the other.

He's a young CB that is still in the very early stages of his development as a CB, so patience will be required with him.

He's not at Martinez's level when it comes to progressing the ball and may never get to that level because Martinez is just elite in that regard. But what Yoro does have is the pace and athleticism along with fantastic poise and composure on the ball which allows him to remain calm when put under pressure. And his pace and athleticism allow him to defend on the front foot. He's a young player with a all-round skillset and even his aerial ability is strong for a young player and will improve further.

In the game today the back 3 is very common with alot of top teams where players invert to form a 3 man backline. And I think Yoro is someone who is perfectly suited to playing the backline commander role in the mid to long-term as the central CB. But he's still very young and I hope people don't have unrealistic expectations of him and I hope we sign another CB and a midfielder who is good at ball retention along with making forward passes. We lack that in this team and the more players we have who can retain the ball whilst progressing it at a good level, will make us a much stronger team in the build up phase which allows the team to dominate the game on the ball.

I think without Ratcliffe without we wouldn't have been able to sign him. There's been reports about us working on this deal since last year before INEOS even arrived. But I doubt we would've been able to sign him under the Glazer ownership because I'm not sure Joel Glazer would've sanctioned such a huge fee for a 18 year old CB. For me the credit for this goes to Ratcliffe and it does show that he's ambitious in wanting United to compete again. To sign him we had to spend big and it seems like Real Madrid were around €40m short of what we offered.

That's what we had to do hence the Lille president is said to have persuaded the player to join us because it helps Lille. The tweet below from a few days ago basically tells you the difference in ambition between the Glazer ownership and Ratcliffe.

You need a twitter and a patreon account. Easily top5 valuable insights source for Manchester United players and targets

And you remain neutral, don't comment on transfer links, have a reasonable view on game tactics and performance. Easy follow

I'm genuinely shocked at this. Watching the Euros I was thinking how stacked France was in talent and how we didn't have a single player from them when the likes of Real, Arsenal and Liverpool do. To think that we're close to rectifying that is fantastic.

Do we think we're singing him to be a starter?

First season at CB in the PL is always pretty tough, nevermind when you're 18!

it's early, but I'm super impressed with how we've been handling business under the new leadership so far. They didn't mess around here and went in with a solid bid, and by getting it accepted quickly we put pressure on Real and forced Liverpool to back off. Would be a massive statement this and it's exactly the type of talent we should target too.

I'll only breathe a sigh of relief when I see him in a United shirt, but so far so good.

Sounds almost a formality now, enjoy it.

Slightly annoying we'll now see the constant Saliba vs Yoro comparisons from both sets of fans, was bad enough with Scousers seeing constant Saliba vs Konate comparisons.

Speaking of which, time for nosey over to RAWK.

Pfft I think Yoro has a long way to go before reaching Saliba's current level, and by then Saliba would have most likely improved with the extra experience.

Would be very happy if he followed that trajectory though.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger.

Alan Varela and Florian Wirtz will be here by August.
Could use a bit of fight!

I'll take Van nistelrooy. I'm going to search for the best left backs for W, this is the kind of conspiracy theory I can get on board with.
Good lads. And don’t worry about the T after Ugarte. We have got Toney wrapped up just for that.

Very positive stories coming out...if INEOS keep getting their targets for around or below the 50 million euro mark then it is a step in the right direction.

Of course you will hear the usual suspects quoting as big a figure as possible...but add-ons only matter if the player is successful.

Do we think we're singing him to be a starter?

First season at CB in the PL is always pretty tough, nevermind when you're 18!

Yes, I think that's what we've offered to help convince him. He'll still need to be protected though and will need the occasional time out of the side, which is why we probably still need another CB.

Hopefully he works out better than the last generational CB teenager that we signed. Was supposed to be the next Duncan Edwards..

62 + 10. Wow, I knew we wanted him, but not this bad. No wonder Lille and Mendes convinced him to join us instead. Massive show of intent by the new top management.

The demise of Liverpool over the next few years is going to be so much fun to watch. No Klopp, Salah, Robertson, Van Dijk all on the decline, Trent’s contract expiring next summer. Shit pulling power leaving them back to signing Martin Skrytls and Andy Carrols soon enough :smirk:
Well...there were also Xabi Alonso's, Mascherano's, Torres', Suarez', so I wouldn't be as schadenfreude-y as you. We must take advantage of their transition.

Nobody knows how good Slot will be for them.

We should aim to pick the best talent available to us, both strengthening ourselves, and leaving inferior options to not only Liverpool but Arsenal, and Chelsea. We should have them compete with Villa and Newcastle.

But remain objective and acknowledge they've had a few good transfers before Klopp and it is very likely that will remain the case now.

I can't believe this is happening.

Been stung too many times. Not gonna believe this he is paraded in a United Jersey!

Pinching a highly rated youngster from Real Madrid and jettisoning Mason Greenwood all on the same day is pretty good business.
Probably works out as a net positive on the FFP balance sheet as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.