Leny Yoro | 8pm announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ornstein says it's one or the other
I must have missed that. One of those two or one of the three? If it’s the latter then that’s a worry as Yoro and Maguire battling it out as first choice partners to Martinez is far from ideal.

I must have missed that. One of those two or one of the three? If it’s the latter then that’s a worry as Yoro and Maguire battling it out as first choice partners to Martinez is far from ideal.
He said the current expectation is that we won't sign both. Others have repeatedly made the fair point that such expectation may change if we sell Lindelof, in whom there is interest.

Having said that, De Ligt and Yoro both like to do their defending slap bang in the middle. We could ideally use a player who's good at defending the channel as well, which is probably why we wanted Branthwaite.

One of Yoro/De Ligt then maybe we go back for Branthwaite if we can sell Lindelof

Why isn’t it? Are you just going from thread to thread making things up?

Making what up? There’s a clear video of Argentinian racism towards French players of colour, Martinez was on the coach and would be Loro’s partner.. I’d say that’s a concern.

Reactions: Fortitude
Making what up? There’s a clear video of Argentinian racism towards French players of colour, Martinez was on the coach and would be Loro’s partner.. I’d say that’s a concern.
Is that some kind of collective responsibility by just sitting on the same bus?

Is that some kind of collective responsibility by just sitting on the same bus?
There'll be plenty of questions asked of all who were on the bus. Guilty by association is also a thing. The song rolled off the tongue and certainly wasn't something they were unfamiliar with, as a collective.

Even if Martinez wasn't singing it, this kind of footage sends an absolutely terrible message about Argentina's national team.

It is such a specific song too. Directly targeting French, black footballers. It's a terrible, terrible look.

The signing would make sense if we're going for both him and De Ligt. Can't be relying on an 18 yr old especially in a position where mistakes are very heavily punished. Need to slowly bed him in. I'd be happy going into the season with Licha, Megs, Yoro, Evans and De Ligt as the CB options. Lindelof sold.

Why on earth would any black player go to Spain? The racism there is brutal.

Probably the wrong thread for this so please move if so mods.

Punish those responsible, collective punishment doesn’t work unless it is justified. The national officials on the bus need to be held responsible, they need to identify the players. This needs to be handled top down. If they don’t comply then there should be a national level punishment. Then a legal investigation of the footage from the bus, make this a police matter as racism is a criminal offence. Fines and bans mean very little to them, criminal records preventing (or at least making it more difficult) from working or travelling might make the message sink in. A proper criminal investigation would identify better those responsible. I guarantee this isn’t the only footage. Do this properly. Enough is enough with football handling things internally and not changing a thing.

One issue with Yoro — doesn’t seem like he wins a lot of aerial duels? On the other hand that’s one of De Ligt’s main strengths.

The signing would make sense if we're going for both him and De Ligt. Can't be relying on an 18 yr old especially in a position where mistakes are very heavily punished. Need to slowly bed him in. I'd be happy going into the season with Licha, Megs, Yoro, Evans and De Ligt as the CB options. Lindelof sold.
I think De Ligt is locked in. Just some financial jugglery preventing sealing that - if Yoro accepts, we may have to setup payment terms differently with De Ligt and so on

The one thing i've noticed on here is that not many are bringing up the fact he isn't that great on the ball. They brought this up with Brantwaithe over and over again but not here. I'm old school so I prefer defenders to be great defenders first before all the progressive stuff but i find it weird it rules for one and rules for the other.

I hope we get him. I want us to sign players with potential and a huge upside than some plodder who has already done the rounds. Although, just one CB won't be enough. We'd need another option for the LCB spot too. Hopefully, it's a versatile player who can play both LCB or LB at a good level. Calafiori is a good option. I am sure there are others.

Yoro, Maguire, Martinez, Calafiori, Evans would be excellent options for our central defense. A good mixture of youth and experience.

One issue with Yoro — doesn’t seem like he wins a lot of aerial duels? On the other hand that’s one of De Ligt’s main strengths.
Honestly it wouldn’t make much sense to add a CB who isn’t good / very good in the air.

Tbf, Madrid have blown thier load on a player they've been chasing for 3 years now.
May also need to factor in thier stadium renovation.

Tbf, Madrid have blown thier load on a player they've been chasing for 3 years now.
May also need to factor in thier stadium renovation.

Yes, Mbappé's sign-on bonus was a 9-digit number and they apparently want Alphonso Davies too.

That won't happen this summer. I think there's a chance Bayern will do a deal for cheap now, rather than lose the player for free in 2025.

Bayern have pretty much said they will let him run in to the last year of his contract.

Madrid tapping another one up to leave on a free.

Bayern have pretty much said they will let him run in to the last year of his contract.

I didn't see that, never mind then.

Paid over 5 years though.

That's how it usually is. I still don't think they can spend a lot of money this summer, otherwise they probably would've wrapped up Yoro already. The kid could very well be the best defender in the world in 3-4 years' time. He's the type of talent you don't really want to miss out on, as the market might not produce another one like him for a few years.

The one thing i've noticed on here is that not many are bringing up the fact he isn't that great on the ball. They brought this up with Brantwaithe over and over again but not here. I'm old school so I prefer defenders to be great defenders first before all the progressive stuff but i find it weird it rules for one and rules for the other.

It’s mostly just because most people have seen Branthwaite so know it’s bad whereas most people haven’t seen Yoro. The default assumption nowadays is a modern defender is good on the ball. Defenders in foreign leagues tend to be better on the ball too. Neither of these are universal truths, but they are generally accurate starting assumptions. So I would’ve just assumed Yoro’s good on the ball tbh.

The last word hasn't been spoken on that though, I am sure.
Bayern would rather sell him for a good fee this summer if he is not going to extend, and then try to buy Theo. Madrid however do not seem to want to spend that fee, and Bayern would certainly prefer to sell him to us this summer than lose him on a free next summer, that is not the problem. The problem is that if the player has the chance to either still take Bayern's quite lucrative offer to extend or join Madrid next summer, I don't see him choosing to join us over those options.

Large salary to get a player to join feels wrong. It just feels like he's coming with the wrong motivation to a club he doesn't want to go to.

I dont see Yoro signing to sit on the bench & neither De Ligt.

The one we get will be our starter.

Large salary to get a player to join feels wrong. It just feels like he's coming with the wrong motivation to a club he doesn't want to go to.
Does it? We’re playing in the elite talent market here; these are the youngsters with solely the best clubs on the planet after them. They have to be wooed the same way as established players do because they don’t have to settle for any one club when others are ready and waiting to take them.

Until we are a force once more, we barely have any leverage at the uppermost tier’s table.

Does it? We’re playing in the elite talent market here; these are the youngsters with solely the best clubs on the planet after them. They have to be wooed the same way as established players do because they don’t have to settle for any one club when others are ready and waiting to take them.

Until we are a force once more, we barely have any leverage at the uppermost tier’s table.
As much as I understand this, attracting talent with big wages when it's clear they aren't keen on coming doesn't sit right. We've been here before.

Early days, but he looks the same type of defender like Varane. Sounds like a good match for Licha. Not intrigued by Branthwaite.

Needs physique for the prem though. Not sure he has that yet, so he’ll not be great from the get-go like Licha.

Status
Not open for further replies.