Leny Yoro | 8pm announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some interesting videos.

Despite being on the muppet train and name dropping many times, I did have my reservations about how much is hype and based on projected potential. It's why I was fairly keen on the Branthwaite transfer as you simply need athletic ability in the PL. That's not to say Yoro can't develop that going forward.

If these videos are fairly representative of his style in 1 vs 1 situations then I hope de Ligt is also another signing. For a 18 year old, I like his general positioning and effort but he's obviously getting done a lot by diving in and overestimating his ability to nick a ball/being strong enough to withstand shoulder to shoulder contact on the turn. If he's to come in and be a project, then all good. If as a first teamer alongside Martinez then we better reign in the expectations.

However, I don't think that will be the case and we will be getting two CBs.

Last edited:
In most cases yes. Then you have cases like Di Maria who signed when he didn't want to.

If we get the player this young, we will have a Ronaldo situation most probably.

For me, it's still fine. The era of expecting players to want to play for the club because of their love for the club etc etc is almost over.

He comes, plays well, helps us win, moves to Madrid during his prime, works for me.

He comes, stinks the place out, we sell him for less what than what we brought, it's fine. Because we tried and did it the right way than going for aging super stars just for the name and clout.

If he doesn't sign for United, move on. We tried.

I am glad United are going in for players who have potential. Let's see what happens.
for me this is the right approach. I don't expect him to sign for us at all, but at the moment we seem to have structure allowing us to chase multiple deals at once. So it's a win-win situation to try to poach him

Don't see the hype to be honest :lol:

But I havent watched his actual games.

Don't see the hype to be honest :lol:

But I havent watched his actual games.

He's just raw. That's why we still need someone like de Ligt, Yoro might be Saliba/van Dijk level by the time he's 21/22, but right now I'd still have him as only 3rd choice. Would be a major coup but we need another more established CB. If de Ligt was left-footed I think we would definitely sign both, now I'm not sure, I think we're undecided. Have a feeling ETH will insist for de Ligt even if we sign Yoro.

Some interesting videos.

Despite being on the muppet train and name dropping many times, I did have my reservations about how much is hype and based on projected potential. It's why I was fairly keen on the Branthwaite transfer as you simply need athletic ability in the PL. That's not to say Yoro can't develop that going forward.

If these videos are fairly representative of his style in 1 vs 1 situations then I hope de Ligt is also another signing. For a 18 year old, I like his general positioning and effort but he's obviously getting done a lot by diving in and overestimating his ability to nick a ball/being strong enough to withstand shoulder to shoulder contact on the turn. If he's to come in and be a project, then all good. If as a first teamer alongside Martinez then we better reign in the expectations.

I don’t know how many flawless or perfect 18 yr old centrebacks there has literally ever been. It’s not a position you emerge as flawless in, but your attributes will be earmarked. 18-year old Rio was touted, but definitely not the CB he went on to become, but the raw attributes were invaluable.

Point is the Rolls Royce types have a learning curve too, but you see something very special in them at young ages.

I'm growing slowly more optimistic about this one but already braced for the inevitable communicado official

Some interesting videos.

How dare you come into this thread with these videos.

He's just raw. That's why we still need someone like de Ligt, Yoro might be Saliba/van Dijk level by the time he's 21/22, but right now I'd still have him as only 3rd choice. Would be a major coup but we need another more established CB. If de Ligt was left-footed I think we would definitely sign both, now I'm not sure, I think we're undecided. Have a feeling ETH will insist for de Ligt even if we sign Yoro.

Yup. Its worth emphasizing that Saliba was signed at the same age and then went on loan for three years to learn his trade further before playing for Arsenal. Varane was signed at the same age and in his first three years at Madrid he started 7, 12, and 12 league matches.

Tossing an 18-year-old into the deep end as a regular starter in the PL at a club as big as United would be very foolish.

He's going to have to be playing like Van Dijk was playing a few seasons back for Real Madrid to even remotely be interested in him in a few years times if he comes here now. You really shouldn't worry about what might or might not happen with a player 3,4,5 years down the line.

I don’t know how many flawless or perfect 18 yr old centrebacks there has literally ever been. It’s not a position you emerge as flawless in, but your attributes will be earmarked. 18-year old Rio was touted, but definitely not the CB he went on to become, but the raw attributes were invaluable.

Point is the Rolls Royce types have a learning curve too, but you see something very special in them at young ages.

Yeah that's why I said I'll be happy with him as project. On the very limited videos I've seen, I think he has an impressive all around skillset and base (mental and physical) for an 18 year old but I would be conservative about his playing potential for us at this time and moment. Unlike a Rio and a Varane, he doesn't have that raw pace/acceleration where he can get out of trouble and that's totally fine as I wasn't expecting him to be playing from the get go anyways. Not to mention those players were older/had more established teams when they made their move.

Saying that, Lille does seem to have quite a high line so I doubt that will be the case here and hopefully we will have an Ugarte-like-terrier sweeping up anything in front.

I'm still excited but just tempering my own expectations a bit as I was getting ahead of myself, which is to be expected in muppet season :angel:

The bid increases and is accepted every time I open this thread.

I'd test Lille with a £100m, see if they accept that.

Still need De Ligt.

Licha, De Ligt and Yoro + Evans get rid of Maguire or Lindelof.

Theirs a lot of noise coming out about him being open to a move to us. I reckon that’s them trying to get Madrid to panick.

Meanwhile de Ligt's entourage is orbiting the earth desperately waiting for the go ahead, the poor bastards.

Well, hope he can be persuaded to come here. He could develop to a special player. Would be nice to have one of those again in our backline.

I wish we would stop wasting time with this, if he doesnt want to come lets move on to other targets instead of wasting our time trying to convince him.

I thought the days of spending whole summers trying to convince players to join who dont want to come to us like De Jong and Fabregas were behind us now.

Real ain't paying the big money. He is joining us. Too risky to wait till Jan and sign a pre contact. :cool:

[/QUOTE]
Meanwhile de Ligt's entourage is orbiting the earth desperately waiting for the go ahead, the poor bastards.

A- we agreed personal terms with de ligt
B- every one knows that we want 2 CBs
C- Bayern set a 45m price. The media were briefed that we would want to negotiate that
D- we are going hard on yoro
E- we have been linked to tah ie Bayern primary target in case they sell de ligt
F- news came out that we are close to yoro. Meanwhilebw the athletic had just come out saying that we are going for either yoro or de ligt

Can you see where we are going?

I’ll believe it when I see the club Twitter account announcing it, and even then I’m expecting some kind of John Obi Mikel or Aaron Ramsay eleventh hour U-Turn.

Why are people so obsessed with the fact that we are not his no1 choice? You think that players who sign for Luton, Everton, Villa, Lazio, Besiktas.....have them as their no1 choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.