Leny Yoro | 8pm announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside of speed, what does he have?

Off the ball running and finishing are both excellent. You don't score that many in the PL if you don't have some strengths and if Rashford doesn't have any significant strengths, atleast 3/4 of the PL attackers are garbage.

Off the ball running and finishing are both excellent. You don't score that many in the PL if you don't have some strengths and if Rashford doesn't have any significant strengths, atleast 3/4 of the PL attackers are garbage.
But his finishing is average, he struggles with standard finishes often.

I'm not saying that only the first contract is regulated, the max 3 year thing is in effect up until the age of 18.

From what I understand, but I'm not certain: the point of this rule is that you can't lock down minors with a contract for a longer period than 3 years at the time. But, this should be possible:

- Yoro signs his first professional contract in January 2022. (This already confuses me a bit, because that should mean his contract is out in January 2025. It's not, he's under contract until the summer of 2025. This means that he either signed a new contract in the summer of 22, or that you can sign a contract for a bit longer than 3 years if it happens during a season.)
- In June 2023, the season is over, Yoro is 17 and has already begun establishing himself in the first team, playing several full league games towards the end of the season. At this point Lille should be able to offer him a new improved contract. As he's 17 it would still be for a maximum of 3 years, which would be the end of the 25/26 season.
- We're at the present, and Yoro has two years left on his contract.
Yeah, but seems odd you can't lock them down for longer than three years in a contract, but can just keep offering them contracts yearly to extend that.

I'm not entirely certain, but I believe contract negotiations had been going on for a while and around Jan he informed them he won't be signing a new deal.

I think this is a rare case where this rule really hampers the developing clubs when top talent is concerned and puts foreign clubs at a massive advantage to turn their heads and get a top player at a massive discount.

Yeah, but seems odd you can't lock them down for longer than three years in a contract, but can just keep offering them contracts yearly to extend that.

I'm not entirely certain, but I believe contract negotiations had been going on for a while and around Jan he informed them he won't be signing a new deal.

I think this is a rare case where this rule really hampers the developing clubs when top talent is concerned and puts foreign clubs at a massive advantage to turn their heads and get a top player at a massive discount.

It's not that odd. The point is that the clubs aren't able to lock down players for a very long time, because a lot can change. If someone signs a 3 year contract at 16, and then renews at 17, that's 4 years total but it's two different decisions.

I think it's clear they tried to renew during the last season, but at that point they were either too late or not offering enough money to compensate for the risk of them denying him a move. The rule is there to protect the player, and it seems to be working very well. Remember why Lille will be getting a lower transfer fee with one year left on the contract rather than more: because of the threat of not letting this kid move, keeping him there against his will. It's supposed to be harder to treat young players this way compared to adults, and it is. Now they can threaten to do this for a year, which could potentially have been two if they had acted differently. With no special rules for minors he could have been stuck there for 3-4 more years based on a decision he made as a completely fresh player at 16-17.

It's not that odd. The point is that the clubs aren't able to lock down players for a very long time, because a lot can change. If someone signs a 3 year contract at 16, and then renews at 17, that's 4 years total but it's two different decisions.

I think it's clear they tried to renew during the last season, but at that point they were either too late or not offering enough money to compensate for the risk of them denying him a move. The rule is there to protect the player, and it seems to be working very well. Remember why Lille will be getting a lower transfer fee with one year left on the contract rather than more: because of the threat of not letting this kid move, keeping him there against his will. It's supposed to be harder to treat young players this way compared to adults, and it is. Now they can threaten to do this for a year, which could potentially have been two if they had acted differently. With no special rules for minors he could have been stuck there for 3-4 more years based on a decision he made as a completely fresh player at 16-17.
Oh I am in agreement, it's definitely better for the vast majority of young players. It's very rare that a 16 year old would be first team material and in a year be ready to move on too. You shouldn't make rules around the exception.

Feels like we're trying to see if this can be done before we finalize De Ligt.

By all reports it sounds like he's our first choice, by the time we get an answer either we'll get him or wrap up De Ligt with everything already in place but the bid there, which has already been agreed apparently.

I just love that every update is that we are trying very hard and that he will join us or Real. I mean that’s not fecking rocket science is it!
Well there have been reports that PSG and Liverpool were interested in him. So it seem that now it's just between us and Real.

Outside of speed, what does he have?

Listen I know he was bad last season, but let's not fool ourselves. His peak is extremely high, and he has everything a winger should have.

If we could get him back in form there is no player available that could replace him.

Again, what is he supposed to do in that situation? Sign an extension despite clearly not planning to continue his stay at the club, toughening any potential negotiations for his suitors?

I really don’t see how he’s ethically in the wrong here. Even if Madrid would pay, say, 30 millions for him, it will recoup all the money that the club had invested in him (I don’t include his salary as he has already recouped it by playing). It’s a huge feck up from Lille in the first place that their brightest talent somehow only has 1 year left on his contract.

The side that is behaving on the verge of breaching ethical code is Madrid, who are strong arming other clubs into giving them favorable deals by targeting players with expiring contracts. There’s a thin line between using shrewd business tactics and being a-holes and I’m not sure on which side of it Madrid is at the moment — I guess it depends on the perspective. But I really can’t see how the player is in the wrong in a situation where one management had massively fecked up and the other behaves in a vulture-like manner.

I don’t follow how it’s a mess up from Lille. They signed him to a contract in 2022, which is only allowed to be a maximum of 3 years. They have presumably been trying to sign him up to a new contract since summer 2023, when he broke through into the team? If he’s just refused to do so, because his head has been turned by Madrid, what are they supposed to have done differently?

I'm happy even if we don't sign him. The fact it's between us and Real only shows we have put a great argument forward, a very good sign we've got things sorted finally.

It would be great if we could really get it done. I've never seen him play but you gotta love his little moustache.

I don’t follow how it’s a mess up from Lille. They signed him to a contract in 2022, which is only allowed to be a maximum of 3 years. They have presumably been trying to sign him up to a new contract since summer 2023, when he broke through into the team? If he’s just refused to do so, because his head has been turned by Madrid, what are they supposed to have done differently?
You know more than me!

Apparently they have the option of including two one-season extensions (at least that's what it says on a now missing page on Ligue 1 website) but then don't specify it's conditions. Interesting. The UNFP fecked them up a little it seems!

The parties have agreed on a contract structure based on actual playing time, thus allowing for reciprocal contract extensions in the form of a 3+1+1 (a basic contract of three seasons with two one-season extensions), thus placing sporting merit at the heart of this arrangement for young players aged 16 or 17.

We're a great stepping stone to Real Madrid.
Only Ronaldo has ever done this so there's really no basis to call us that. After a few seasons he may well forget about Real and they may sign some Brazilian from Porto or Benfica or another talented young defender. Our fans are such cry babies I'm sure after every good Yoro performance they'll bring up him moving to Real Madrid.

Until his club accept Real's bid, is there even a decision to make?
Maybe he’s made it.. but his club won’t accept Madrids bid.

Maybe he’s hedging his bets.

Maybe he’s just thinking about it.

No one knows, really.
In either case one of Romano or Ornstein or someone else of their ilk would’ve made an announcement about him having an agreement in place with Madrid. Instead we’re still in the grey about what he really wants to do.

If we sign him - and Real is interested in buying him in 3-4 years, he will have performed like one of the best in the Premier League - I can live with that

Here's the thing. If he joins us, there's no guarantee that he's just going to run off to Madrid in 3 years or so. Every player is an individual, with their own motivations and loyalties. There's every chance that a bond can be formed with this club on an emotional level. We need not compare every potential signing to Ronaldo, a guy who has no true sentimentality to anyone and anything but his own individual achievements.

Who thinks that bid is low balling? I searched the thread and its just you saying it.

There's people who thinks we're low balling Lille and holding them for ransom.

Until his club accept Real's bid, is there even a decision to make?
Yes. Reject other destinations and his club *has to* accept Madrid's offer. He's clearly not doing that

Only Ronaldo has ever done this so there's really no basis to call us that. After a few seasons he may well forget about Real and they may sign some Brazilian from Porto or Benfica or another talented young defender. Our fans are such cry babies I'm sure after every good Yoro performance they'll bring up him moving to Real Madrid.
Oh there's enough basis in saying that. In our current situation we are a great stepping stone to Real Madrid if that's his intended destination. I just hope we slap a hefty release clause that activates when he's around 23/24. Win-win if he decides to stay or leave.

Real will also know that a player that does well for us will very likely do well for them too since we've had many great players join them over the years and done well.

I don't really let other fans affect how I feel about United. I mostly find reactions (mine included) entertaining.

Oh there's enough basis in saying that. In our current situation we are a great stepping stone to Real Madrid if that's his intended destination. I just hope we slap a hefty release clause that activates when he's around 23/24. Win-win if he decides to stay or leave.

Real will also know that a player that does well for us will very likely do well for them too since we've had many great players join them over the years and done well.

I don't really let other fans affect how I feel about United. I mostly find reactions (mine included) entertaining.
I'd offer him a Real Madrid clause of some kind just no minimum fee release clause.

It will be young Varane situation all over again. Fergie almost had him till Madrid got Zidane to talk to Varane. Game over at that point.

Didn't they beat us to Benzema as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.