Leny Yoro | 8pm announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 'or else' holds his club to ransom, that's where it's "his" fault, and the reality is, it's not an 18-year old being an evil genius, but rather his camp who will make sure they get what they want by bending Lille's arm behind their back. So there doesn't need to be any tantrums or misconduct, in fact, running down his contract is only unethical whilst being perfectly within his rights to do.

It's just raw tapping up. The worst kind. Just doesn't sit well with me when executed like this.
Again, what is he supposed to do in that situation? Sign an extension despite clearly not planning to continue his stay at the club, toughening any potential negotiations for his suitors?

I really don’t see how he’s ethically in the wrong here. Even if Madrid would pay, say, 30 millions for him, it will recoup all the money that the club had invested in him (I don’t include his salary as he has already recouped it by playing). It’s a huge feck up from Lille in the first place that their brightest talent somehow only has 1 year left on his contract.

The side that is behaving on the verge of breaching ethical code is Madrid, who are strong arming other clubs into giving them favorable deals by targeting players with expiring contracts. There’s a thin line between using shrewd business tactics and being a-holes and I’m not sure on which side of it Madrid is at the moment — I guess it depends on the perspective. But I really can’t see how the player is in the wrong in a situation where one management had massively fecked up and the other behaves in a vulture-like manner.

We are not, in any way, doing the same thing as Madrid! We even have a "special fund" set up in pursuit of this kid - Lille could set a price a good deal more than they have and have negotiations start from there and they'd still come out the other end with the money. I am sure we'd not be the only ones "happy" to deal at more than what Lille have asked for, either.

Lille can be called naïve. Another side of that coin is they didn't see this coming because they didn't expect it of a player they've raised and looked after, and, I'm pretty sure, have treated like golden boys/jewels in the crown get treated because of their exceptional ability. Others have cited contract law, but I think it's simpler than that, even: they didn't see the angle coming. If "Mainoo" (his camp) had done the same to us, after being raised from the ground up by the club, we'd be stunned. Fortunately for us, we swim with sharks in the mean waters of one of, if not the most, bent and underhand league there is, so we are street savvy and wouldn't find ourselves in the same position from a legal/contractual POV, but emotional and in-house, from the trust and belief in the player, aspect? We'd be crestfallen and not see such a move coming from one of our own.

We're going to end up going around in circles because I fundamentally disagree with the angle from which you perceive this - that it 'happens all the time' and is normal practice. No, it isn't. And there are few times when a club will be classed a pariah for their actions, and this is one of them, for me.
Also here’s why I think that the Mainoo comparison is questionable at best. Not to sound elitist but United generally isn’t a selling club. Even though we’ve been unfathomably shit recently, we still expect that our players see us as their final destination.

If Lille had expected Yoro to stay with them indefinitely then I’m not sure if naïve is a strong enough word for their stupidity. He was always going to get a big money transfer sooner rather than later. And they HAD to secure their position beforehand.

Stylistically they seem very similar, at least to me. It's an apt comparison even though he's still teenaged
I don't see any similarities with Rio.

I could see the similar attributes between Rio and Varane, though the Frenchman was less composed.
But Yoro looks, Stylistically, like a good/better version of Smalling.

Last edited:
Looks like it’ll be De Ligt and no other at this point. Silence isn’t good in this case.

Again, what is he supposed to do in that situation? Sign an extension despite clearly not planning to continue his stay at the club, toughening any potential negotiations for his suitors?

I really don’t see how he’s ethically in the wrong here. Even if Madrid would pay, say, 30 millions for him, it will recoup all the money that the club had invested in him (I don’t include his salary as he has already recouped it by playing). It’s a huge feck up from Lille in the first place that their brightest talent somehow only has 1 year left on his contract.

The side that is behaving on the verge of breaching ethical code is Madrid, who are strong arming other clubs into giving them favorable deals by targeting players with expiring contracts. There’s a thin line between using shrewd business tactics and being a-holes and I’m not sure on which side of it Madrid is at the moment — I guess it depends on the perspective. But I really can’t see how the player is in the wrong in a situation where one management had massively fecked up and the other behaves in a vulture-like manner.
But that’s one and the same (your paragraphs) when his people are clearly colluding to make the conditions that have Lille’s position so compromised, possible. And I have a huge problem with that as it is so unethical and below the belt. Without the ‘or else’ Madrid can do whatever they want, as can the player, but holding the club that raised you to ransom essentially, is just wrong.

Also here’s why I think that the Mainoo comparison is questionable at best. Not to sound elitist but United generally isn’t a selling club. Even though we’ve been unfathomably shit recently, we still expect that our players see us as their final destination.

If Lille had expected Yoro to stay with them indefinitely then I’m not sure if naïve is a strong enough word for their stupidity. He was always going to get a big money transfer sooner rather than later. And they HAD to secure their position beforehand.
;) Victim blaming, sort of, no? As I said in a previous post, call them whatever you want and from the shark-infested waters, they are lambs to the slaughter. They’ll have been forced to learn an invaluable lesson.

;) Victim blaming, sort of, no? As I said in a previous post, call them whatever you want and from the shark-infested waters, they are lambs to the slaughter. They’ll have been forced to learn an invaluable lesson.
Not in my book. Victim blaming blames the victim for not doing something they're actually not required to do (or doing something that have every right to). But transfers are the very foundation of football's economy and securing the value of their assets is one of the main objectives of any football club. If someone suddenly jumps in front of a train, I'm not going to blame the train driver — if your (in)actions are actually the cause of the incident, I'm not blaming anyone else.

You treat Lille's management like they're children who stepped into the world of business tycoons. But they simply didn't do their job right and suddenly it's Yoro and his inner circle who are to blame? This actually sounds more like a victim blaming to me even though I'm not a fan of this term in football context, the connotations are a bit messed up (I've stayed clear of the first example that came to mind and it still got a bit uncomfortable).

40 m is not low balling. That is fare value for a player in his final year. Branthwaite and Maguire offers has ruined united fans.

40 m is not low balling. That is fare value for a player in his final year. Branthwaite and Maguire offers has ruined united fans.
This is new information though,. originally they said they were only bidding 20m. I agree if they go up to 40m, that's fair enough in the circumstances and if they do bid that, he'll go there.

Last edited:
Checked this guy in Whoscored and his strength is passing but his weakness is tackling.
That is like a a striker having scoring goals as a weakness.
If the bloke has said no to us then we should take the offer off the table and move on.
We do not have to be the transfer Police and leave the offer there just to keep Magreed honest.
Whoscored is garbage.

Not sure about the salary Yoro is on with Lille, but on the contract length, I think the fifa rules prohibits clubs in Europe from giving contracts to under 18 for a period longer than 3 years, and in 2022, Lille offered him that contract right after his debut with Lille's first team as a 16 yo, at that time they must have offered him a normal youth contract at that low salary, they didn't expect his metroic rise and I certain they offered him long term contract the moment he turned 18 but by then I guess Madrid already tapped him up, we can't blame Lille for not offering a higher salary and longer contract to Yoro as they weren't able to do so legally
Yes, this it what I was trying to get at. Well put.

Sorry Lash, I saw you write something about this earlier but I forgot.

I'm not 100 % certain, but I think you're missing a step here. It's true that players under the age of 18 can only sign professional contracts lasting up to 3 years, but I'm not aware of anything stopping Lille from offering new 3 year contracts before 18. They had ample time to renew when they saw how good he was, with better terms.

I'm not 100 % certain, but I think you're missing a step here. It's true that players under the age of 18 can only sign professional contracts lasting up to 3 years, but I'm not aware of anything stopping Lille from offering new 3 year contracts before 18. They had ample time to renew when they saw how good he was, with better terms.
No problem.

Maybe, but I'd be surprised if you only regulate the first pro contract offered. Seems like you could get round that very easily. I'm not an expert on this, so I'll defer to whoever is!

Wake up every morning hoping this guys chose us over Madrid. What I don’t get though is we’ve put down 42 mil or whatever it is for him but isn’t that what Bayern want for De Ligt? So why didn’t we just put the money down on someone that wants to join.

And we do not know if Lille hadn't offered a new deal that Yoro didn't accept or stalled over it, we don't know when Madrid approached the player's camp, no club would not offer a new deal to a teenager who's already performing consistently with the first team, our club is already in discussion with Kobbie on a new deal, they are not rushing it but a new deal is on the horizon, Garnacho was offered a new deal even before he was consistently starting in 2022/2023.

I think Lille did what they could but the player most likely held out and now he gets to force the club into accepting Madrid's offer now or he is off in a year.

But I agree with you that what's happening is not outrageous, it's kinda common place.

Wake up every morning hoping this guys chose us over Madrid. What I don’t get though is we’ve put down 42 mil or whatever it is for him but isn’t that what Bayern want for De Ligt? So why didn’t we just put the money down on someone that wants to join.
I think he falls under the category of supreme young talents that you gotta try to get regardless of who else you are planning to buy. Basically we'd likely be satisfied with only de Ligt but if there's a chance to get Yoro, we go for it. And if we don't, there doesn't have to be an alternative target.

No problem.

Maybe, but I'd be surprised if you only regulate the first pro contract offered. Seems like you could get round that very easily. I'm not an expert on this, so I'll defer to whoever is!

I'm not saying that only the first contract is regulated, the max 3 year thing is in effect up until the age of 18.

From what I understand, but I'm not certain: the point of this rule is that you can't lock down minors with a contract for a longer period than 3 years at the time. But, this should be possible:

- Yoro signs his first professional contract in January 2022. (This already confuses me a bit, because that should mean his contract is out in January 2025. It's not, he's under contract until the summer of 2025. This means that he either signed a new contract in the summer of 22, or that you can sign a contract for a bit longer than 3 years if it happens during a season.)
- In June 2023, the season is over, Yoro is 17 and has already begun establishing himself in the first team, playing several full league games towards the end of the season. At this point Lille should be able to offer him a new improved contract. As he's 17 it would still be for a maximum of 3 years, which would be the end of the 25/26 season.
- We're at the present, and Yoro has two years left on his contract.

I think he falls under the category of supreme young talents that you gotta try to get regardless of who else you are planning to buy. Basically we'd likely be satisfied with only de Ligt but if there's a chance to get Yoro, we go for it. And if we don't, there doesn't have to be an alternative target.
Ye I agree with this. I still think we need De Ligt plus 1 more CB though. Kambwala is leaving. Varanes gone. Lindelof likely to go.

We'll see if INEOS and co really show they can sell a project because that's what it's going to take to convince a player over Madrid. Even when United for a few years had better European standing (not historically but in reaching consecutive finals) it would have been hard then.

Him and Real will just wait to deadline day. On that day Lille will need to decide to take 30-35 mil from Real or lose him for free. Our only chance is to offer him some ridiculous money (250-300k). But those days are history.

We'll see if INEOS and co really show they can sell a project because that's what it's going to take to convince a player over Madrid. Even when United for a few years had better European standing (not historically but in reaching consecutive finals) it would have been hard then.

Even if we build the best club side ever assembled in the next 5 years, there will be players who snub us for Real Madrid or Barcelona. Not all of them, but most of them will definitely prefer those two, no matter what, even at their lowest point. It has always been like that with every club. Those two can take anyone they want from any team they want, most of the time. There will also be players who run their contract down in order to join one of those two for free, especially if they've already achieved everything at their current club, see, e.g. Alaba, Rüdiger, Christensen, Gündogan.

Ineos would not only have to build the best team in the world with one of the highest wage bills in world football, they'd need to bring Mediterranean climate to Manchester as well to change this.

He is on 10k in Lille. I wonder how much we and Real are offering. There was a rumour month ago (while they were in the race) that Liverpool will offer 150k per week.

Would love to see this happen. But Yoro gives me the feeling he's the 24-25 version of the FDJ transfer saga.

We've tried the following apart from Yoro:

Branwaite - Everton want too much money
Todibo - blocked by UEFA for this season coming
De ligt - almost complete

Status
Not open for further replies.