Leny Yoro | 8pm announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Madrid's offer is a really silly one from Lille's perspective given they have spent more than that 30m on relative unknowns from South America.

There needs to be a salary and transfer cap in UEFA. It is boring watching Real Madrid win the Champions league almost every other year. They attract the best players because they always win and they always win because they attract the best players. Fans want to see variety. They want to think their club has a chance at winning the greatest trophies.
Wrong. Fans want to see Madrid win, of course. Those that don't may look like fans and act like fans but they're not real fans in any way that matters(= they're not Madrid fans)

Real have put as much on lock the CL you possibly can within the glorious uncertainty of sport. In many ways it's not too different than wealthy clubs consolidating their position at the top of their league. For the foreseeable future it will be hard to lure away from them any player they want.

It’s unfortunate, but nothing we can do. We are spectators. Yoro will drag this till the end of the window if he has to.

It’s unfortunate, but nothing we can do. We are spectators. Yoro will drag this till the end of the window if he has to.
Yeah that's how I see it. He'll reject us and tell Lille he only wants Real. Come end of the summer, Lille won't have any other option but to agree to Reals offer so they don't lose him for free.

Well we did need a saga to complain about all summer anyway. Then next season when he doesn’t play that many games for Madrid we will spend another summer chasing him.
I think we will set a deadline for him to come and then move onto other targets. Both clubs have offered a price and contract to him so it’s literally down to the player which he accepts. If it’s Madrid then United will drop out and Lille will have to accept the fee on offer or lose him for free.

Don't mind this at all. Great prospect, stamp the cash and wait. I assume (and if he has a good agent) he wouldn't be se eager to wait a whole season to get a big money contract when he can get one now and still play for a massive club.

We also certainly got a green light at least from the agent. Which (again) every good agent would do.

Bottom line, whatever happens, is that we should be in for these kind of talents, so just showing intention makes me happy.

Madrid had offered around €40m, that's a lot. Lille are pressuring him because they want 50. He responds with using the leverage that he has: his contract is running out. Lille are the ones risking losing the money, because they're playing a game where they hope to either pressure Madrid to up their already high bid, or Yoro to do something he doesn't want to do.

Of course we would be outraged if it happened to us, because football fans are all irrational idiots. United fans are currently outraged that Everton doesn't seem to be biting at our naked attempt to unsettle Brantwaithe. We're placing bids we know they won't even consider, in the hope that he'll cause a stink. Real being Real to Lille is horrible on the part of Real, while United being Real to Everton is bad on the part of Everton.
Apart from the valuation, it's not about irrational as it's very clearly an insult by any metric to lowball for a clubs' greatest upcoming talent.

If Madrid were doing this to us with Kobbie - with us having accepting he was moving on - we would be livid with not a dab of irrationality to that ire.

Apart from the valuation, it's not about irrational as it's very clearly an insult by any metric to lowball for a clubs' greatest upcoming talent.

If Madrid were doing this to us with Kobbie - with us having accepting he was moving on - we would be livid with not a dab of irrationality to that ire.

If bidding 80 % of s club's valuation is an insulting low-ball offer, then United must be one of the rudest clubs of all time.

What's an appropriate Mainoo figure, 100m? If United actually wanted to sell for that price, 80m would be a very normal offer to expect. And we as United fans would then be right to be upset at Mainoo, for prioritizing his own career while at the same time getting the club a big transfer fee, instead of solely focusing on maximizing United's income to the detriment of himself? It's absurd.

Alternatively, 80 % of Everton's valuation of Branthwaite is £56m, while United have bid 35+5 and 45+5.

If bidding 80 % of s club's valuation is an insulting low-ball offer, then United must be one of the rudest clubs of all time.

What's an appropriate Mainoo figure, 100m? If United actually wanted to sell for that price, 80m would be a very normal offer to expect. And we as United fans would then be right to be upset at Mainoo, for prioritizing his own career while at the same time getting the club a big transfer fee, instead of solely focusing on maximizing United's income to the detriment of himself? It's absurd.

Alternatively, 80 % of Everton's valuation of Branthwaite is £56m, while United have bid 35+5 and 45+5.
If Everton perceive Brantwaite to be their jewel in the crown, then yes, we are insulting them with the bids, which is why they keep telling us to do one with us supposedly being 10's of millions apart.

Madrid pay what they should and it's just another transfer with no controversy to it. The issue here is the 'take it or leave it' stance, 'but we're taking your player one way or another' as it's simply horrid, bullying tactics and makes Madrid a Pariah. The worst kind because they have thr greatest leverage via standing on the planet.

This is good news. Unless Yoro will wait until he’s free next year which wouldn’t go down well with Lille fans and the club.
Nope they'll rather get that than nothing

Remember 18 months ago when Guillem Balague was on CBS bemoaning the fact that the PL now has more money and consequently more pulling power than the Spanish clubs? Looking back, who was he even trying to fool with that pity party? :lol:

Feck that Balague guy, but if you exclude Madrid and Barcelona, and maybe to a smaller extent AM, the rest of the league is too poor, teams like Palace or Westham can easily outbid La Liga teams like Villarreal or Valencia or Seville.

If Everton perceive Brantwaite to be their jewel in the crown, then yes, we are insulting them with the bids, which is why they keep telling us to do one with us supposedly being 10's of millions apart.

Madrid pay what they should and it's just another transfer with no controversy to it. The issue here is the 'take it or leave it' stance, 'but we're taking your player one way or another' as it's simply horrid, bullying tactics and makes Madrid a Pariah. The worst kind because they have thr greatest leverage via standing on the planet.

The only reason they can do that is because Yoro has a single year left on his contract. Do you know what Everton did? They offered Branthwaite more money, so he now has 3 years remaining. At the cost of higher wages, Everton has a stronger position to negotiate from. We live in this absurd world where a club like Lille can pay their top talent absolute shit, let him run down his contract because they're very happy having a first team player bossing their defense for €7k per week while Branthwaite got bumped from £15k to £35k, and then somehow find it outrageous that this leaves them with less bargaining power when negotiating a transfer.

Once again there's this absurd football logic where absolute loyalty is expected from players, while zero is given in return. It has been extremely obvious that Lille has been underpaying Yoro, because they could. Now that might possibly lose them €10m, or €40m if they push it too much. That's on them.

The only reason they can do that is because Yoro has a single year left on his contract. Do you know what Everton did? They offered Branthwaite more money, so he now has 3 years remaining. At the cost of higher wages, Everton has a stronger position to negotiate from. We live in this absurd world where a club like Lille can pay their top talent absolute shit, let him run down his contract because they're very happy having a first team player bossing their defense for €7k per week while Branthwaite got bumped from £15k to £35k, and then somehow find it outrageous that this leaves them with less bargaining power when negotiating a transfer.

Once again there's this absurd football logic where absolute loyalty is expected from players, while zero is given in return. It has been extremely obvious that Lille has been underpaying Yoro, because they could. Now that might possibly lose them €10m, or €40m if they push it too much. That's on them.
None of this actually matters - there are plenty of unspoken lines that aren't supposed to be crossed in the game and it's clear when a club crosses them - an either or of 'we'll give you what we feel like or take him for free later anyway' is a habitual line step used almost exclusively by the big 2 in Spain. Big English clubs lowballing is one thing, ensuring the player makes it known he's prepared to go for free, is another entirely and a level of unethical that gets backs up.

And in this instance, the discussion is about a jewel in the crown; the one young asset a club has they want fair value for, which is mostly non-negotiable without underlying factors that make strong arming possible.

Feck that Balague guy, but if you exclude Madrid and Barcelona, and maybe to a smaller extent AM, the rest of the league is too poor, teams like Palace or Westham can easily outbid La Liga teams like Villarreal or Valencia or Seville.
And he had the cheek to suggest the PL should consider sharing their finances with the rest of Europe to create a more even playing field.

None of this actually matters - there are plenty of unspoken lines that aren't supposed to be crossed in the game and it's clear when a club crosses them - an either or of 'we'll give you what we feel like or take him for free later anyway' is a habitual line step used almost exclusively by the big 2 in Spain. Big English clubs lowballing is one thing, ensuring the player makes it known he's prepared to go for free, is another entirely and a level of unethical that gets backs up.

And in this instance, the discussion is about a jewel in the crown; the one young asset a club has they want fair value for, which is mostly non-negotiable without underlying factors that make strong arming possible.

Madrid aren't ensuring anything, several reports say they're perfectly fine with Yoro going somewhere else if their bid isn't accepted and Yoro wants a transfer right now. The fact that Lille are holding out and several clubs are trying to swoop in proves that no one actually believes that anything is assured.

Being 10m apart in valuation is not crossing any lines, spoken or unspoken.

Just a matter of time before saying "MAN UTD was the only club he always wanted since we shown interest in him" by holding UTD jersey.

Madrid aren't ensuring anything, several reports say they're perfectly fine with Yoro going somewhere else if their bid isn't accepted and Yoro wants a transfer right now. The fact that Lille are holding out and several clubs are trying to swoop in proves that no one actually believes that anything is assured.

Being 10m apart in valuation is not crossing any lines, spoken or unspoken.
So you think clubs sell the most elite player in their unders for millions under value for fun, or actually, are you saying Lille are being greedy setting the price that they have?

Clubs speak out when they are being undermined.

This is good news. Unless Yoro will wait until he’s free next year which wouldn’t go down well with Lille fans and the club.
that's significantly lower than what United were willing to pay an offered....would really make this kid look bad if he waited for a free transfer but it would also force the hand of Lille to accept the offer from Madrid instead of losing him for nothing.

So you think clubs sell the most elite player in their unders for millions under value for fun, or actually, are you saying Lille are being greedy setting the price that they have?

Clubs speak out when they are being undermined.

I think almost every single transfer ever made is for below what the selling club ideally wants, yes. That's how negotiations work, buyers want pay as little as possible, while sellers want to receive as much as possible. I don't think Lille are being greedy, I think they're negotiating and trying to squeeze out as much as possible, as is expected. They might succeed, they might fail. If no agreement is made, then no deal happens. Completely normal.

Taking the publicly announced price at face value is pretty strange. That is almost always a negotiation tactic. My guess is that they would've been fine with €40m before other clubs started to bid, but I don't know of course.

Lille want Madrid to reach €50m but Madrid are refusing to reach that figure, so negotiations continue. Seems like Lille have no choice but to cave in to the demands of Madrid who seem to have the upper hand in negotiations with the player wanting to join them even on a free transfer.

I don't understand how Madrid never get any blowback for constantly behaving like this. In any other form of business constantly bullying other entities by threatening to just take their assets would reflect badly on Madrid and lead to negative consequences, like with other clubs refusing to do business with them in future.

If a human behaved like this, constantly taking and taking and screwing over others, they'd soon end up with no friends. They'd eventually get a bad reputation and run out of people to take advantage of.

And don't give me that false equivalence of us bullying other clubs too--we're trying to find a fair price, not convince players to leave their clubs on a free and with nothing. I can't think of another big club (that's not Italian and skint) that operates like this. The likes of Juve and Inter have to be cheap in the market. Madrid doesn't have to, they just do it because they like it and there don't seem to be negative consequences.

I think almost every single transfer ever made is for below what the selling club ideally wants, yes. That's how negotiations work, buyers want pay as little as possible, while sellers want to receive as much as possible. I don't think Lille are being greedy, I think they're negotiating and trying to squeeze out as much as possible, as is expected. They might succeed, they might fail. If no agreement is made, then no deal happens. Completely normal.

Taking the publicly announced price at face value is pretty strange. That is almost always a negotiation tactic. My guess is that they would've been fine with €40m before other clubs started to bid, but I don't know of course.
Well that's the rational part. The bit with the dark arts is the 'or else' in which the kid sits out the remainder of his contract, conveniently.

Well that's the rational part. The bit with the dark arts is the 'or else' in which the kid sits out the remainder of his contract, conveniently.

That's the risk with short contracts. It's why we're getting 10m for Kambwala rather than 20: next year he would be free. Kambwala's contract is running out because he won't renew, because he wants to play and that's not happening. Yoro's contract is running out because Lille wanted to save some money by underpaying the player that is supposed to be so valuable to them that not instantly meeting their stated valuation is some grave insult.

This situation is extremely normal, it happens with every single transfer negotiation where the player is in their last year of contract. It's why transfer fees are lower for these players, because if the selling club doesn't accept the lower offers then next year they'll get nothing.

That's the risk with short contracts. It's why we're getting 10m for Kambwala rather than 20: next year he would be free. Kambwala's contract is running out because he won't renew, because he wants to play and that's not happening. Yoro's contract is running out because Lille wanted to save some money by underpaying the player that is supposed to be so valuable to them that not instantly meeting their stated valuation is some grave insult.

This situation is extremely normal, it happens with every single transfer negotiation where the player is in their last year of contract. It's why transfer fees are lower for these players, because if the selling club doesn't accept the lower offers then next year they'll get nothing.
Not with a jewel in the crown, no. I think we have different crux positions here. You're referring generally, to the normal end of the market. I have specifically referred to the elite.

Clubs get mildly annoyed at one, the other is pretty much sacrosanct.

I don't understand how Madrid never get any blowback for constantly behaving like this. In any other form of business constantly bullying other entities by threatening to just take their assets would reflect badly on Madrid and lead to negative consequences, like with other clubs refusing to do business with them in future.

If a human behaved like this, constantly taking and taking and screwing over others, they'd soon end up with no friends. They'd eventually get a bad reputation and run out of people to take advantage of.

And don't give me that false equivalence of us bullying other clubs too--we're trying to find a fair price, not convince players to leave their clubs on a free and with nothing. I can't think of another big club (that's not Italian and skint) that operates like this. The likes of Juve and Inter have to be cheap in the market. Madrid doesn't have to, they just do it because they like it and there don't seem to be negative consequences.

There's plausible deniability here unless there's some proof of tampering. Madrid just values him less than Lille does, but Yoro only wants to play for them and is willing to wait a year to do so. They can't force him to go somewhere else or sign a new contract. It is what it is.

I think the problem I and many others have is not that this is weird or illegal, it's that Madrid specifically seem to make it a pattern helped by the fact that they're currently the pinnacle of the sport. Maybe other clubs should do it too but that would:

A) Take years for us or most other clubs to build up that kind of reputation again to where players have their hearts set on us and only us, and
B) Make for a not very pleasant world where everyone is constantly bullying each other trying to get the upper hand.

Not with a jewel in the crown, no. I think we have different crux positions here. You're referring generally, to the normal end of the market. I have specifically referred to the elite.

Clubs get mildly annoyed at one, the other is pretty much sacrosanct.

Yes, with the jewel of the crown. It's just that they typically don't have a single year left on their contracts, because that's a very dumb situation to allow if it can be avoided.

United bought Sancho for €85m, with 2 years remaining. Do you think the fee would be the same if he only had a year left? It would of course be lower. The reason it would be lower is because Dortmund would be in a much weaker position to negotiate, and the reason for that is that if no deal then they'd lose him for free the year after. There is no difference between the low, mid or high end of the market, that only affects the numbers involved. That's why two players in similar positions, Kambwala and Yoro, are going for €10m and 40/50, respectively.

I think the problem I and many others have is not that this is weird or illegal, it's that Madrid specifically seem to make it a pattern helped by the fact that they're currently the pinnacle of the sport. Maybe other clubs should do it too but that would:

A) Take years for us or most other clubs to build up that kind of reputation again to where players have their hearts set on us and only us, and
B) Make for a not very pleasant world where everyone is constantly bullying each other trying to get the upper hand.

Other clubs are doing it. The fact that de Ligt is set on United weakens Bayern's room for negotiation. If the transfer happens, it'll probably be for lower than if we had to fight PSG. But, he's not interested, so it doesn't matter if they bid higher.

It happens all the time, it's extremely normal for a player to prefer one of the interested clubs over the others, and this often leads to the selling club not being able to maximize the transfer fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.