Leny Yoro | 8pm announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was always expecting that Real would cough up the money Lille wants eventually, or match our offer. The Lille president publicly backing United is just another pressure point against Real, to speed up the offer. He is too good of a player, Real knows this, in order to let it slip. Plus they have half the French national team in Real, Mendy, Mbappe, Thouameni, and Camavinga. He will fit like a glove. But I do admire INEOS for trying, we have to be in the running for players like him. Sometimes you will win, and sometimes you will learn.
Ffs. Lock thread :lol: :(

Lille want Madrid to reach €50m but Madrid are refusing to reach that figure, so negotiations continue. Seems like Lille have no choice but to cave in to the demands of Madrid who seem to have the upper hand in negotiations with the player wanting to join them even on a free transfer.

Last edited:
Does Football Manager have easy mode? Because that must be what its like to manage Real Madrid. Seemingly endless cash, insane pulling power - every player in the world will screw over their childhood club if it means giving you a free transfer and your player pools are so talented that tactics barely matter in competitions like the Champions League.

Lille want Madrid to reach €50m but Madrid are refusing to reach that figure, so negotiations continue. Seems like Lille have no choice but to cave in to the demands of Madrid who seem to have the upper hand in negotiations with the player wanting to join them even on a free transfer.

Likely conclusion has been reached. Put the money towards another midfielder other than Ugarte. Moving on.

IMO our interest is only as a bargaining chip to keep the De Ligt price sensible. Everyone knows he wants to go to Madrid.

Jarrad Branthwaite it is, then(probably) - at least he's homegrown(that counts for something, I guess).

I don't know any other CB we are linked with at the moment.

Ah well, it was always a punt. Just keep Maguire instead of overspending on Branthwaite. Spanish journo though, so taking it with a grain of salt.

He wasted 6 years of his prime for a dead end United project because we were going absolutely nowhere under the Glazers. He could've gotten the money elsewhere too, he moved to us at 23 and was one of the best players in the world already. Obviously he wouldn't have joined us for low wages, but no one would have, so that would be a weird argument against him.
Mainly because nobody else was willing to pay him what he wanted except for us.

Mainly because nobody else was willing to pay him what he wanted except for us.

That’s just a narrative many reds have created to rationalise their dislike really. There’s never been anything to suggest that Pogba was some greedy mercenary, certainly no more than any other pro footballer anyway. If fans are actually going to be honest with themselves, they would probably concede that there’s at least a tiny chance that a player wanting to join the club he spent his formative years as a man and has good friends at, AND also happens to be one of the top few clubs in the world had to do with more than just chasing the biggest cheque.

When Joshua King was desperate to come back when we eventually got Ighalo, I doubt anyone presumed he was simply cheque-chasing. I suspect that having won in Italy, Pogba probably wanted to come back and complete his previous mission of being a success at United. The move didn’t work out as hoped of course, but I think it’s very harsh to try and paint it as a mere money thing.

That’s just a narrative many reds have created to rationalise their dislike really. There’s never been anything to suggest that Pogba was some greedy mercenary, certainly no more than any other pro footballer anyway. If fans are actually going to be honest with themselves, they would probably concede that there’s at least a tiny chance that a player wanting to join the club he spent his formative years as a man and has good friends at, AND also happens to be one of the top few clubs in the world had to do with more than just chasing the biggest cheque.

When Joshua King was desperate to come back when we eventually got Ighalo, I doubt anyone presumed he was simply cheque-chasing. I suspect that having won in Italy, Pogba probably wanted to come back and complete his previous mission of being a success at United. The move didn’t work out as hoped of course, but I think it’s very harsh to try and paint it as a mere money thing.

I think you're missing his point. It's more the fact he didn't leave during those 6 years yet constant links to Real, they never stumped up the cash to buy him from us, nor did anyone else.

I don't think he came back originally for the money.

I think you're missing his point. It's more the fact he didn't leave during those 6 years yet constant links to Real, they never stumped up the cash to buy him from us, nor did anyone else.

I don't think he came back originally for the money.

Ah fair enough. I think that’s true then. The post I responded to did say ‘nobody else was willing to pay him the money he wanted except for us’, which of course paints a different picture.

I think it’s fair to say that certainly after a few years he wanted to move to Real. They made a bid but one we rejected snd that was that I guess.

A very unlikely transfer, but we can get our club back challenging then be an attractive destination again.

Its a no brainer to pick Madrid over United. Real Madrid is pretty much the crowning jewel in world football.

I don't doubt we will be back to our best but for players like Yoro with the world at their feet it's a no brainer especially considering the French players they have already.

If the Tweet is to believed, the one party who should feel aggrieved is Lille because he is made to sound like he is prepared to feck them over to get his move to Madrid. Imagine one of the best players you’ve ever produced turning round and showing his gratitude by running down his contract so that you get nothing for him when he moves on. That has got to sting and bring an element of disappointment in the player.

If it is indeed true, Madrid won’t even have to offer fair compensation to procure the player, let alone a fee that ends this amicably.

All teams chasing Yoro not named Madrid know it’s a speculative effort and that if he doesn’t come to them that that was always likely to be the case, no hard feelings, but Lille? That’s another story.

Last edited:
There needs to be a salary and transfer cap in UEFA. It is boring watching Real Madrid win the Champions league almost every other year. They attract the best players because they always win and they always win because they attract the best players. Fans want to see variety. They want to think their club has a chance at winning the greatest trophies.

There needs to be a salary and transfer cap in UEFA. It is boring watching Real Madrid win the Champions league almost every other year. They attract the best players because they always win and they always win because they attract the best players. Fans want to see variety. They want to think their club has a chance at winning the greatest trophies.

I agree with your point but they recruit well whilst clubs like us have spent our money on absolute shite. I mean we’re funding their spending by signing their castoffs (Casemiro, Varane)

If the Tweet is to believed, the one party who should feel aggrieved is Lille because he is made to sound like he is prepared to feck them over to get his move to Madrid. Imagine the best player you’ve ever produced turnong round and showing his gratitude by running down his contract so that you get nothing for him when he moves on. That has got to sting and bring an element of disappointment in the player.

If it is indeed true, Madrid won’t even have to offer fair compensation to procure the player, let alone a fee that ends this amicably.

All teams chasing Yoro not named Madrid know it’s a speculative effort and that if he doesn’t come to them that that was always likely to be the case, no hard feelings, but Lille? That’s another story.

The best player Lille have produced? Hazard by a distance. They've also played a big role in producing Maignan and Osimhen too.

Yoro looks good, but a lot of people jumping way too far ahead.

There are plenty of great CBs around, that is a position where the talent is there currently in football. Not too worried, even if he looks like a future world beater

The best player Lille have produced? Hazard by a distance. They've also played a big role in producing Maignan and Osimhen too.

Yoro looks good, but a lot of people jumping way too far ahead.
Is that the important part of the post? I can edit (in fact I will) as the main thrust should not be sidetracked.

Kudos for trying at least, but with Real Madrid in the picture that wasn't happening. They can just lowball clubs and still get players. The benefits of being the top dog.

I just hope this doesn't mean United go all in for Branthwaite. Look elsewhere.

If the Tweet is to believed, the one party who should feel aggrieved is Lille because he is made to sound like he is prepared to feck them over to get his move to Madrid. Imagine one of the best player you’ve ever produced turning round and showing his gratitude by running down his contract so that you get nothing for him when he moves on. That has got to sting and bring an element of disappointment in the player.

You'd like to think Lille would say "fine, but since you are already set on leaving, we can't really trust you in the first team, so sit in the reserves for a year"
I know it doesn't work like that, but player power becoming ridiculous

If the Tweet is to believed, the one party who should feel aggrieved is Lille because he is made to sound like he is prepared to feck them over to get his move to Madrid. Imagine one of the best player you’ve ever produced turning round and showing his gratitude by running down his contract so that you get nothing for him when he moves on. That has got to sting and bring an element of disappointment in the player.

I totally agree, and I hope that one day there will be a club who put their foot down on these players, and put them in the reserves for a year and let them leave for nothing.. It wont happend. Sadly many fans will again take the players side.. If he is willing to feck LIlle over like this, then I dont even want him, even if he choose United.

You'd like to think Lille would say "fine, but since you are already set on leaving, we can't really trust you in the first team, so sit in the reserves for a year"
It’s such a sour note for things to end on, isn’t it? The amount of people who would have put time and effort into the kid and the goodwill he would have had up until Madrid entered the fray could ultimately wither away to mostly negative energy and an overwhelming sense of disappointment.

Lille are going to have to settle eventually because sitting Yoro only hurts their bottom line in the end; him going for free would be the ultimate insult, after all.

Player power is quite something these days, but unless this kid is some diabolical genius, I doubt this scheme will have been cooked up by him over his handlers. It’s a win-win for them; if he goes for free, signing on bonuses ahoy; if he helps Madrid lowball his club, a larger percentage received with the move. Twisting a clubs‘ arm via their own young product is nefarious and dastardly, but if you’re only looking out for your best interests and don’t care about future relations with said club, it’s a very clever model.

Last edited:
I totally agree, and I hope that one day there will be a club who put their foot down on these players, and put them in the reserves for a year and let them leave for nothing.. It wont happend. Sadly many fans will again take the players side.. If he is willing to feck LIlle over like this, then I dont even want him, even if he choose United.
Heh. It would certainly be something to be wary of down the line, because if he can do it to his boyhood club, he can do it to anyone. Not sour grapes, but something you’d have to be careful with, ensuring you yourself are never put in the position where you can be held to ransom.

I bet Lille tighten procedures with their academy talent off the back of this, though! Being sucker punched like this was clearly not something they envisioned.

Eh, this is one of the least egregious cases of "player power". The onus should be on clubs to not be in situations where players are going into their last contractual year. I mean, with the way clubs and fans turn on players the moment their form drops, it's hard to begrudge him wanting to move to his preferred destination and waiting until he's able to do so, even if it means moving on a free. What is he supposed to do? Move to some lower tier club and affect his long-term career prospects just to make Lille some money?

Clubs don't develop players out of the "goodness" of their heart. The game is the game.

Eh, this is one of the least egregious cases of "player power". The onus should be on clubs to not be in situations where players are going into their last contractual year. I mean, with the way clubs and fans turn on players the moment their form drops, it's hard to begrudge him wanting to move to his preferred destination and waiting until he's able to do so, even if it means moving on a free. What is he supposed to do? Move to some lower tier club and affect his long-term career prospects just to make Lille some money?

Clubs don't develop players out of the "goodness" of their heart. The game is the game.
Game might be game, but Lille evidently didn’t even realise they were playing. They do now, and protocols will change at that club, but it’s still sad they are now embroiled in the cynicism and have been made to look naive and innocent by someone they didn’t think would do this to them, evidently.

Game might be game, but Lille evidently didn’t even realise they were playing. They do now, and protocols will change at that club, but it’s still sad they are now embroiled in the cynicism and have been made to look naive and innocent by someone they didn’t think would do this to them, evidently.
Yeah surprised they didn't push for a new contract with a release clause 12 months ago.

Is that the important part of the post? I can edit (in fact I will) as the main thrust should not be sidetracked.

It is an important part of the post. He hasn't shown nearly enough for the hype he's getting, and your post was a good example of that hype.

He looks good for his age. Positionally strong, hasnt shown much on the ball as takes the safe option most of the time. That's about it so far, but he is being talked about here as some sort of generational talent. He might be, but it's far from certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.