Leny Yoro | 8pm announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think it will be De ligt or Yoro. Not both. I imagine we will hope to sign Branthwaite regardless. My guess is that we would prefer Yoro to De ligt, but we are fairly confident that he will go to Madrid, which is why we have pursued De ligt so strongly. Only guesswork of course.

Think it will be De ligt or Yoro. Not both. I imagine we will hope to sign Branthwaite regardless. My guess is that we would prefer Yoro to De ligt, but we are fairly confident that he will go to Madrid, which is why we have pursued De ligt so strongly. Only guesswork of course.
I don't think they're related. You don't pursue De Ligt so hard to the point where it's being reported he doesn't want to go anywhere else and put a bid in for Yoro if it was one or the other. Yoro seems much more like the Branthwaite alternative, but we think he prefers Real, so chancing it early.

I don't think they're related. You don't pursue De Ligt so hard to the point where it's being reported he doesn't want to go anywhere else and put a bid in for Yoro if it was one or the other. Yoro seems much more like the Branthwaite alternative, but we think he prefers Real, so chancing it early.
The first tweets linking him to us said we had some kind of reserve for him as a must get, if he was interested in coming. I think this is a somewhat speculative punt, knowing his desire, but one that’s got everything ready to be pumped into it should he say yes.

A signing that runs parallel to whatever else we’re doing that would take precedence immediately should there be a green light.

I think our proposal to him will be valid up until we sign De Ligt

I don't see us signing both, especially where we must guarantee them a spot in our 11.

The other spot is pretty much guaranteed for Jarrad

Doubt that, Martinez will start Jarrad would be seen as a player who can play both roles

My bad - I mean in terms of favoritism who our scouting, and staff want more

I don't see one of Yoro or De ligt accepting the bench. I feel that Branthwaite would be more receptive towards the idea. Not to mention that he is left footed, so one left footed (Branthwaite) and one right footed (De ligt or Yoro) might be the thinking.

Branthwaite isn't left-footed, he's right-footed.
He plays so well with his left that you almost can't identify what his is strong foot ?
That's also 1 of the reasons I assume we want him - He could play RCB and LCB if needed

Last edited:
I think our proposal to him will be valid up until we sign De Ligt

I don't see us signing both, especially where we must guarantee them a spot in our 11.

The other spot is pretty much guaranteed for Jarrad

Doubt that, Martinez will start Jarrad would be seen as a player who can play both roles

I don't see one of Yoro or De ligt accepting the bench. I feel that Branthwaite would be more receptive towards the idea. Not to mention that he is left footed, so one left footed (Branthwaite) and one right footed (De ligt or Yoro) might be the thinking.

The first tweets linking him to us said we had some kind of reserve for him as a must get, if he was interested in coming. I think this is a somewhat speculative punt, knowing his desire, but one that’s got everything ready to be pumped into it should he say yes.

A signing that runs parallel to whatever else we’re doing that would take precedence immediately should there be a green light.
Definitely, it's probably one our recruitment team say "if you can get it, you have to".

I think De Ligt is definitely a signing we were planning regardless of other signings.
Yoro will 100% accept the bench to begin with wherever he goes. He is in no position to expect to come straight into the starting XI considering he's 18, only played 2 seasons of top flight football and none in a league as demanding as La Liga or the Prem (especially physically demanding). I also don't think Branthwaite would particularly want to go to the bench after having a breakout season in the prem, but would probably see a path quite easily into the first team being ambipedal and comfortable either side.

That's quite some exaggerating. You're talking about an 18-year old with one good season under his belt and a guy who didn't succeed in Serie A and who Bayern Munich are happy to let go when he supposedly should enter his prime years. I doubt a Yoro - De Ligt core in the middle of your defense will be feared by the likes of Haaland and Watkins.
Yoro is seen as the brightest CB prospect in the market. He would be significant coup if we do manage to get him which I highly doubt,
Who told you De Ligt didn't succeed in Serie A?
You're talking out of your arse a bit here on this occasion.

That's quite some exaggerating. You're talking about an 18-year old with one good season under his belt and a guy who didn't succeed in Serie A and who Bayern Munich are happy to let go when he supposedly should enter his prime years. I doubt a Yoro - De Ligt core in the middle of your defense will be feared by the likes of Haaland and Watkins.

mate it's a good thing you didn't mention Nunez

At Madrid, yes. At United, I'm not so sure.
I think so, if you look at Fofana and Saliba's transition to the Prem, one had to go to somewhere like Leicester and Saliba was a series of loans. There's no doubt we would give him opportunities to prove he's ready, but a transition season would be best for him.

I think so, if you look at Fofana and Saliba's transition to the Prem, one had to go to somewhere like Leicester and Saliba was a series of loans. There's no doubt we would give him opportunities to prove he's ready, but a transition season would be best for him.
I agree that what you are suggesting is sensible from our point of view and arguably his too, though whether he feels that way is a different matter. He may put up with that at Madrid, but to get him to United we may need to twist his arm a bit.

Yoro will 100% accept the bench to begin with wherever he goes. He is in no position to expect to come straight into the starting XI considering he's 18, only played 2 seasons of top flight football and none in a league as demanding as La Liga or the Prem (especially physically demanding). I also don't think Branthwaite would particularly want to go to the bench after having a breakout season in the prem, but would probably see a path quite easily into the first team being ambipedal and comfortable either side.

I recalled back when we were trying to sign Bellingham from Birmingham there were very similar, dismissive comments around Bellingham's desire for regular first team football as a 17yr old. In the end Dortmund came in and gave him what he wanted, look at where he is now.

Branthwaite, Martinez, de ligt and Maguire is ridiculous actually. The potential for injuries all at once is the only worry. It’s real squad depth though.

Branthwaite, Martinez, de ligt and Maguire is ridiculous actually. The potential for injuries all at once is the only worry. It’s real squad depth though.
I think it'd be more like Evans instead of Maguire as we'll surely need to offload him and his wages if Branthwaite or Yoro were to join De Ligt

Assuming Martinez is our first choice CB, I'm not sure how we will make all these other CB signings and keep them all happy?

Yoro clearly dreams about playing for Madrid - We would be aksing him to drop that dream, drop Champions league football AND compete with De Ligt / Brandwaite for that second CB spot.

We have pull but I dont think we have THAT much pull.

I'd love all three CB signings but dont think it's realistic.

Last season has really scarred us. I find myself agreeing with you even though Branthwaite might well have played every minute for Everton last season :lol:

There's no way all four get injured at the same time right? That's a once in a decade type thing. I remember the one season under Fergie when he had random midfielders (Fletch, Carrick etc.) to cover for injuries and the last season under Ten Hag was a close second.

Assuming Martinez is our first choice CB, I'm not sure how we will make all these other CB signings and keep them all happy?

Yoro clearly dreams about playing for Madrid - We would be aksing him to drop that dream, drop Champions league football AND compete with De Ligt / Brandwaite for that second CB spot.

Yoro would be nuts not to go to Madrid. The project is perfect for him as is the squad age. Guaranteed CL every season.

My hunch like yours is that de ligt will be a starter with Martinez and Yoro or Branthwaite will be the stand in for either of them.

Branthwaite seems to be one the club really want, so if we get him I don't see us getting Yoro.

I said just that earlier. Even in FM you can't go into season with 4 defenders who expect to be first choice. Yeah, injuries happen but fans must accept the fact that last season was an anomaly.
Usually first choice centre pair starts most of games. Ok, 3rd choice gets his minutes too. But 4th and 5th choice? Only then and there.
We will not buy 3 defenders 100%. De Ligt-Martinez will be first choice, Yoro first backup, Lindelof or Harry second backup, Evans 5th choice.

I even wonder why would Yoro go to us (and rejecting Real) when he is up against De Ligt-Martinez. De Ligt isn't switching Bayern's bench for United's for sure.

This one would be exciting

Reminds me of when United and Real Madrid were after Varane from Lens. Was clear he was going to be incredible and I get the same feeling now with Yoro

Think he’ll sign for Madrid though unfortunately

This one would be exciting

Reminds me of when United and Real Madrid were after Varane from Lens. Was clear he was going to be incredible and I get the same feeling now with Yoro

Think he’ll sign for Madrid though unfortunately
Yeah, that Varane transfer still hurts. And on top of that we signed Jones as B option.

Its very likely he will end up playing for both clubs during his career.

Almost like the Varane situation all over again.
Ye I think I’d prefer the better end of his years being here though rather than getting him when he’s like 30. Bout time we sign some top youngsters and develop them.

I want this one to get done so badly. Based on the players we’ve been linked to, he would be the signing of the summer for us.
Ye I’m waiting everyday for news saying he’s joined us. This would definitely make a statement and tell the world we can still attract the best talent around. If we beat Madrid to him aswell then that’s even sweeter.

Yeah, that Varane transfer still hurts. And on top of that we signed Jones as B option.
I read about it in one of Ferguson’s books. Said that he was told by the club that Varane was done. Then (Ferguson believes) Madrid sent Zidane to speak to Varane, who then made a last minute U-turn and went to Madrid

What could have been. Nice to have glimpses of it in the last couple of years but having him at his peak would have been something else

As for Jones - in hindsight I agree of course. Did seem a good signing at the time though. He’d have probably been an England regular without the injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.