Leny Yoro | 8pm announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do we want 3 CBs? Do the club expect Martinez to be out next season too?

Why do we want 3 CBs? Do the club expect Martinez to be out next season too?
Don’t think we will sign all 3 CBs. We may not be back for Branthwaite if we can somehow pull off Yoro. Have Martinez-De Ligt as the main pair and develop Yoro during the season. He’s only 18 like Mainoo, can’t and shouldn’t play every match. Plenty of minutes to share if that’s indeed the plan. Not sure who would be 4th CB for back up/rotation out of Maguire, Lindelof, Kambwala and even Evans, but this is a good problem to have, in contrast to the painful injury crisis at CB last season.

Samuel Luckhurst wasn't it? Not sure I'd believe him

I believe everything during silly season, especially when they are linked to us.
Full muppet mode.

100% agree with your sentiments, especially the last part. It was that line of thinking that partly scuppered our chances of signing Haaland from Salzburg, because we didn't want to be used as a stepping stone club and didn't want a €60M release clause in his contract that activated after a couple of years. Well, I'd much be rather be used as a stepping stone club and get a few years of service out of an elite player than not.

I have no problem doing the same with Yoro. Maybe as a sweetener insert a Madrid clause in the deal that activates after year 3 of a 5-year contract. He might end up liking it so much at United that he changes his mind down the line.

As they say; better to have loved and lost, than to not have loved at all.

You could argue, that one of the best player to ever play for us, Ronaldo, was a case of this.

I’m more than fine with it. Not to forget the chance of them falling in love with the club and staying despite interest from abroad.

And?

They're one of the best teams in the world currently. For them not to make top 4 next season it would be a huge surprise. They've replaced Liverpool as City's only real challenger since the start of 22/23.

And even before Arteta built them into a serious contender for the PL and CL, they were still a London club, with big history, Wenger, etc. They were still a very attractive destination even during their down years.

One of the best teams in the world?

They’ve won nothing.

I think the only way we're going to sign him is if we overpay. He's only 18 and eventhough he's a big talent, he's not someone you would want to rely on as a regular but rather you'd want to ease him into EPL football.

Even back in November I had him down as somebody who would get plenty of game time in our squad:

From what I've seen, Yoro would be far too good to loan out. There's probably gonna be a knife fight for his signature in the summer.

And he's only gotten better. There would be a period of adjustment, sure, but his rate of improvement is very impressive. With his wiry frame and agility, he could be a decent candidate for your RB/RCB hybrid role in games where we want to build out that way.

At £42m and a first teamer's wage, it's already overpaying for a teenager any way you slice it, but it could be a huge addition to that young core we're developing.

One of the best teams in the world?

They’ve won nothing.

You cannot list more than 3 teams in the world that are better than Arsenal at the moment. I thought that meant you're one of the best, trophy or not. But it's a pointless discussion if you're one of those trophy logic people. You probably think Mourinho is a great manager in 2024. Won't bother further with this if there's no point.

You cannot list more than 3 teams in the world that are better than Arsenal at the moment. I thought that meant you're one of the best, trophy or not. But it's a pointless discussion if you're one of those trophy logic people. You probably think Mourinho is a great manager in 2024. Won't bother further with this if there's no point.

Sounds like a challenge..

Manchester City
Real Madrid
Bayern Munich (I mean, they did knock them out of the champions league deservedly over two legs).

What's my prize?

Even back in November I had him down as somebody who would get plenty of game time in our squad:

And he's only gotten better. There would be a period of adjustment, sure, but his rate of improvement is very impressive. With his wiry frame and agility, he could be a decent candidate for your RB/RCB hybrid role in games where we want to build out that way.

At £42m and a first teamer's wage, it's already overpaying for a teenager any way you slice it, but it could be a huge addition to that young core we're developing.
When I brought him up last year as someone we should sign, I honestly thought a deal for around 30m would probably do it. I can't believe how the hype has grown and the price tag inevitably has too. But I think in the EPL he will need time to adjust due to how young he is and I can see him being eased in gradually.

I think anything around €50m will see Madrid sign the player.

I'd love to get a young cadillac of CB's like Yoro who's a strong ball playing CB.....FFS if Rio rates this lad to be a player who could cut it at OT then we would be wise to push him and his agent

Madrid are just waiting for the player to push the move to madrid to save them some money b/c of how much they spent on signing bonuses for Mbappe plus they are wanting Davies for LB

You could argue, that one of the best player to ever play for us, Ronaldo, was a case of this.

I’m more than fine with it. Not to forget the chance of them falling in love with the club and staying despite interest from abroad.
Or them coming back when way past their prime and having a meltdown.

Thread seems very split on signing him now with a potentially big profit down the line,however Real would end up getting his very peak years.

Thread seems very split on signing him now with a potentially big profit down the line,however Real would end up getting his very peak years.

Trouble is, as good as he might be during his years here (he'd be an excellent signing, he's going to be a top top player).. we'd find a way of getting shat on by Madrid when they come calling in the end.

Sounds like a challenge..

Manchester City
Real Madrid
Bayern Munich (I mean, they did knock them out of the champions league deservedly over two legs).

What's my prize?
Not Bayern based on their last season form, Inter millam could slot in there however.

Football doesn’t work like that. We sign him and Madrid sign someone else at some point in the next three years obviously.

Not Bayern based on their last season form, Inter millam could slot in there however.

Arsenal needed penalties just to get past Porto in the UCL L16 so its a bit far fetched to call them one of the best sides in the world.

Leverkusen are arguably a better side than Arsenal.

Arsenal needed penalties just to get past Porto in the UCL L16 so its a bit far fetched to call them one of the best sides in the world.

Yeah they too.

I place a lot of importance on league performances though so in my estimation they're up there.

So 84 points and 89 points in two PL seasons is rendered irrelevant because of a CL tie vs Porto for a young, inexperienced squad? Inexperience in Europe is something they struggled with in the KO stages last season, I have no problems admitting that. That's mostly why Bayern knocked them out. But on ability, they're there without a doubt.

Btw, Inter were beaten by Atletico, doesn't make the latter a better team than them. Also only got 5 more points in the league, than Arsenal, in a much weaker league.

Leverkusen were beaten 3-0 by Atalanta in a one-off final.

Bayern finished 3rd in the Bundesliga behind Stuttgart.

The best club side ever in City only finished 5 and 2 points ahead of them respectively.

They also have the best defense in the world.

But Porto...

Mourinho was a great manager when he was winning things. He no longer is.

Football opinions are subjective. Fortunately we have competitions and trophies with which to determine who the best teams are.

Status
Not open for further replies.