Leny Yoro | 8pm announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’ll find out real quick this isn’t how football works. If Madrid can’t agree terms he’ll be sold or will have to sign a new contract.

Centre back is one of the only positions globally where there is genuinely oodles of depth so don't think we should be breaking the bank on anyone for this position let alone a teenager where you're buying more for the potential they might achieve than the current level they play at. We just have too much to do in the transfer market to be overpaying when there's substitutes that will do a very good job for cheaper.

That's great and all but this is how you end up missing out on the Varane's of the world. Yoro is already a good player and still has a ton of development ahead of him. It would hardly be an "overpay"

That's great and all but this is how you end up missing out on the Varane's of the world. Yoro is already a good player and still has a ton of development ahead of him. It would hardly be an "overpay"
I was meaning to respond to someone a few pages back who was recommending giving Yoro a Varane level salary with that comment. Also, unless you have another VVD, think 70/80mn is too high a price for a CB especially when there's about 6/7 other signings to be made.

Debate is probably academic as looks like he's Madrid bound and he's probably using United to bump up that first Madrid salary.

He’ll find out real quick this isn’t how football works. If Madrid can’t agree terms he’ll be sold or will have to sign a new contract.

They can't sell him to a club he doesn't want to go to, and they of course can't force him to sign a new contract.

He's 18. What are Lille gonna do if he doesn't, make him train with his mates? It'a not even an international tournament year, he loses nothing

There's a few good center back targets, hopefully we move on quickly. It doesn't have to be Branthwaite or bust.

Feels like when we wanted Varane the first time round and he went on to become one of the best CBs in the world under them.

Well I believe that level will exist in the future with certain targets

Also haven’t we had players turn down Madrid to stay? Rooney?
We have been at that level but still have never trumped Madrid when it came to getting the big names approaching or in their prime, Bale and Benzema are two fairly recent names that come to mind and even our very own RVN left to go there along with Ronnie.
Rooney??? I am not aware of that one.

Well I believe that level will exist in the future with certain targets

Also haven’t we had players turn down Madrid to stay? Rooney?
We've only lost one player to real madrid that we wanted to keep and that was CR

Beckham, RVN & Heinze for example, Sir Alex made the decision to move them on.

There's only been a small number of examples of first team United players actively looking out and most where post Sir Alex, eg Di Maria, Lukaku, Sanchez etc

With one year left. I will give take or leave it 40 mill £ plus adds on.

I think 40 mill £ is good price for both parts. Even of course the selling club always want more. But the buyer always will stop at some point. For me is 40 mill £.

If not i would consider those options :

+ Federico Gatti from Juventus. 25 years of age. A CB of Mats Hummels category
+ Robin Le Normand. Spain. But i think he is French. 27 years of age.

If not Yoro. United shall go for one of those 2.

Federico Gatti in Italy Euro 24 squad
Le Normand regular CB for a dominating Spain team.

At this moment i think i rate both Gatti and Normand above all United CB options. For theirs solid and consistent level. I am really satisfy and impress of them. Decent and good enough with the ball.

One of Yoro, Gatti or Normand will be fine. I would go for 2 if it was for me. But Ten Hag prefer a left foot CB. Beside a new right foot CB.

For me. It's all about the quality and abilities of the CB. Not about if you are left or right foot. You just search and search. Looking and looking after a left foot CB, but missed out on a really good CB. For me, i would not do that.

Buy Adam Wharton as all around left foot CM playmaker. Then United and Ten Hag will lesser depend on that left foot CB.
Adam Wharton will build up most of United attack with his precise left foot.

Gatti does not box in the same category as Hummels, or else he would be a starter at Juve

We had a Caf in our village called Gattis growing up. The walls were stained brown with nicotine and the constant rolling boil of chip fat, and the ceiling was pebbledashed with those sticky 10p toy things from those machines.

Mrs Gatti was lovely, but insanely old, and would put together your 20p mix using her bare hands, with many of the sweets sticking to the loose skin of her very old lady hands and she peeled them into tje bag. Ah, memories.

Anyway, never heard of this particular Gatti. He sounds shite.

When were we?
Late 90s and early 00s. It’s frustrating how the myth of “Real being everyone’s dream team” has been allowed to grow. When in reality it was the lack of foresight and ambition by the United board when United were the most glamorous club in the world that allowed Real to BUY that image. Yes in the last decade they’ve earned it by constantly winning the CL.

But I can remember the mid to late 90s all the worlds top players were mostly in Serie A, they all in interviews stated United as the club they’d join if they left Milan/Juventus etc. Winning the treble should have been the catalyst to take us above and beyond everyone else in world football. But the board always rejected marquee signings due to “wages/fee” etc. whereas Real realised they could overpay in wages and transfer fee and regain the money in shirt sales and marketing.

He isn’t choosing us over Madrid
I think, if the story is true and we are making an attempt, INEOS must think theres a chance. Realistically it’s not that hard to convince a player to join United and be our CB for the next 5-10 years. If you can convince them that you will be competing for titles and CL.

One thing we underestimate is how ex players who have played for both United and Real tend to have a greater love for United. Beckham, RVN, Heinze clearly favour United, Ronaldo agreed to return in 2013 until SAF retired then rightfully changed his mind so we can argue that after his first 4 years at RM he preferred United. Obviously all the CL that came after means that’s changed.

Late 90s and early 00s. It’s frustrating how the myth of “Real being everyone’s dream team” has been allowed to grow. When in reality it was the lack of foresight and ambition by the United board when United were the most glamorous club in the world that allowed Real to BUY that image. Yes in the last decade they’ve earned it by constantly winning the CL.

But I can remember the mid to late 90s all the worlds top players were mostly in Serie A, they all in interviews stated United as the club they’d join if they left Milan/Juventus etc. Winning the treble should have been the catalyst to take us above and beyond everyone else in world football. But the board always rejected marquee signings due to “wages/fee” etc. whereas Real realised they could overpay in wages and transfer fee and regain the money in shirt sales and marketing.

imho it all stemmed from South American players wanting to play in Spain thus Real and Barca were the places to go. Now Madrid are on another level

imho it all stemmed from South American players wanting to play in Spain thus Real and Barca were the places to go. Now Madrid are on another level
Madrid were a nation sponsored club before the oil money came into the game.

And state bail outs..

That’s true and for various reason the South American market is an area they & Barca had a 50 years head start over everyone.

If we get De ligt then he won’t be assured as automatic starter and his dream is to go to Real Madrid. Then no point in moving to United even as stop gap

Don't know where are you from, but in south america the pinnacle of football has always been Real Madrid or Barcelona.

In the 90s common people (not football fans) knew there's was a Manchester (not a chance they knew there were two) and perhaps knew Liverpool.
They wouldn't have a clue what an Arsenal or a Chelsea is.

If we get De ligt then he won’t be assured as automatic starter and his dream is to go to Real Madrid. Then no point in moving to United even as stop gap
If he isn't an automatic starter for United I doubt Real would even look in his direction anyway. Other than Chicharito, normally when Real sign our players it's our first team starters like Ruud, Ronaldo, Beckham and Heinze.

Honestly I think the worry of us signing players who may want to play for Real Madrid in the future is hugely overstated.

Don't know where are you from, but in south america the pinnacle of football has always been Real Madrid or Barcelona.

In the 90s common people (not football fans) knew there's was a Manchester (not a chance they knew there were two) and perhaps knew Liverpool.
They wouldn't have a clue what an Arsenal or a Chelsea is.

Yes. I agree with the point about South American players, I think that’s mostly to do with historic ties. And would apply to most African / Asian countries in favour of the premier league during the 90s

Honestly I think the worry of us signing players who may want to play for Real Madrid in the future is hugely overstated.
Agreed. Apart from Ronaldo every player we’ve sold to Real was a player SAF was forcing out. Heinze wanted to leave as he lost his spot to Evra, his first choice was Liverpool but obviously club wouldn’t allow that. Ronaldo /Beckham were players SAF forced out of the club.

Yoro and De Ligt would be ridiculous business.

Hopefully Madrid mess this one up and try being too hard-ball with getting him to wait a year, giving us an opportunity to pounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.