Kobbie Mainoo England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I think hes also doing well, but not in the way that caf posters have decided he should play

Hes doing a very good job as a ball winner, not perfect but almost no DM his age was close to perfect and the vast majority of them were winning the ball less than he is.

Unfortunately despite several players in their positions working hard to win the ball, we are still leaving gaps between the lines that teams are exploiting. And when we have the ball he could show a bit more purposeful character, show for the ball and ask for it more than he does and he could be a bit better with dribbling and passing success rates - even though his dribbling numbers are very good, he still gets the ball taken a few times a match.

So by no means am I saying hes been the best 19 year old midfielder, but hes been a very good DM for a DM pairing so far this season. Unfortunately he hasnt had a midfielder playing as well as he is next to him. Eriksen has had some good games and goals but when he hasnt been scoring has been average. Casemiro started well with his passing, but hes been getting foward and his shooting has been awful and of course the mistakes against Liverpool and Ugarte hasnt got going yet.

Yes, you can see the progression in his game in terms of ball winning. He needs to take further steps in his progressive play and looseness in possession but maybe that comes in time. He also needs to improve his defensive positioning as he gets drawn to the ball a lot and teams seem to play around him. An up to speed Ugarte will be crucial for him but i still worry that with the two of them, who is going to progress play up the field. I feel when he plays with Eriksen, he's asked to do too much covering and hence why he's finished around 60 mins in a match.

The next steps in the evolution of our midfield will be better cover for Mainoo and a partner for him, as I don't think Ugarte is the one. Ugarte can play an important role in the squad but I don't know if he is the long term partner for Mainoo.

Out injured for the next 4 weeks apparently

Not a bad thing as others have said, I’m resigning myself to this season being fecked before they pull the trigger on Erik, so no need to run Kobbie into the ground trying to save ten Hag.

A break would be useful for Mainoo, I’d send him away for a week or so to put his feet up. Have him back fully rested and fit when he does return.

At least he'll get a rest. Has been overplayed, never should have went to Euros. Crazy decision by Southgate.
Not really, when you consider how good he was for England. It sucks for us that he's been overplayed (I'd mostly blame ETH for that) but can't really blame Southgate for taking a decision that gave his team the best chance of winning.

Southgate was not crazy to play Mainoo at the Euros. The boy performed admirably and England almost lifted the trophy.

He had some good moments in games but the games largely passed him by. Even at Utd he rarely plays well for more than 30 minutes even in his best performances. Fading in games is common place with him.

Last edited:
Southgate was not crazy to play Mainoo at the Euros. The boy performed admirably and England almost lifted the trophy.

Agreed. In the final he wasnt that good but overall he was the best England midfielder during the tournament. Rice was well below Arsenal level and TAA was rubbish in his gametime

Keep Mainoo, Yoro and Ugarte away from this weapon of a manager, will do them the world of good.

Although he’ll have his excuses now for another set of abysmal results.

Keep Mainoo, Yoro and Ugarte away from this weapon of a manager, will do them the world of good.

Although he’ll have his excuses now for another set of abysmal results.
Remains to be seen how good,average or bad Yoro and Ugarte will be for the club in the years ahead regardless of manager. Mainoo was given his senior debut under Ten Hag and some other manager wouldn't be as keen to place their trust on players that young and Mainoo should always look back on that fondly.

My opinion is he needs a break anyway, somewhere along the line he started holding on to the ball too long and making the wrong decisions pass wise. The simple football that along with the occasional silky skill is what caught the eye.

ETH has lost the plot, he needs a firmer arm on the shoulder telling him to keep it simple.

He had some good moments in games but the games largely passed him by. Even at Utd he rarely plays well for more than 30 minutes even in his best performances. Fading in games is common place with him. in games but the games largely passed him by. Even at Utd he rarely plays well for more than 30 minutes even in his best performances. Fading in games is common place with him.

Stop yapping shit.

Just giving my opinion. Mainoo has done really well but he is been overhyped beyond belief in my opinion. He has a lot of holes in his game and thats ok for a player of his experience. I was surprised he went to Euros and started so much.
He was good almost every time he came on in the Euros.

Kobbie's the new scapegoat since McTominay left.

Just giving my opinion. Mainoo has done really well but he is been overhyped beyond belief in my opinion. He has a lot of holes in his game and thats ok for a player of his experience. I was surprised he went to Euros and started so much.
It wasn't that big a surprise. He deserved to be in the squad due to his level of performances. Trent and Gallagher were both tried before Mainoo and neither were up to it.

Just hope we don't fumble the development of one of the best talents we've ever had by shit coaching and general mis use, or play some part in making him injury prone. The current system simply asks far too much of the midfielders that muscular injuries are bound to happen.

Just hope we don't fumble the development of one of the best talents we've ever had by shit coaching and general mis use, or play some part in making him injury prone. The current system simply asks far too much of the midfielders that muscular injuries are bound to happen.

It’s incredibly frustrating watching him be tasked with an impossible amount of responsibility in that midfield and then watch people say he’s been “disappointing”.

Also completely unsurprising he’s already picked up an injury, he’s one of the most defensively active midfielders in the league so far this year when that’s not even his position.

Hands up everyone else who predicted that Mainoo would end up with a muscle injury early this season because of Hag relentlessly overplaying him.

Not just overplaying him as it turned out, but also bringing him back into the team senselessly 1 week after he went off injured against Spurs.

Yet another hamstring injury. I wonder why they keep happening.

Hands up everyone else who predicted that Mainoo would end up with a muscle injury early this season because of Hag relentlessly overplaying him.

Not just overplaying him as it turned out, but also bringing him back into the team senselessly 1 week after he went off injured against Spurs.

Yet another hamstring injury. I wonder why they keep happening.

No one could have guessed or predicted that a 19 year old put straight into action, without a preseason, days after coming back from his vacation after playing an international tournament in the summer and then playing non-stop after that would get injured....absolutely no one.....come on, hobbers!

Except we're proven wrong as he was really good at the Euros. He’s hyped as a fantastic young player and that’s what he is.

He’s been a little off the boil this season (which you would expect with a young player) so I don’t mind him getting some time off