Kobbie Mainoo England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
My take on Mainoo is that he has been way over-hyped.

Yes he is a talented youngster who has had a good impact on the team last season but he is not the saviour that some fans would have him down as.

He seems to go missing in the 2nd half of games and struggles defensively. As he is young and home grown he will always escape criticism for now but he hasnt been good this season. I hear people talk about burn out, but is that the case? or is he struggling in a poor team? Or is he just not as good as we all want him to be.?

It certainly doesnt help him playing with Bruno who cant keep the ball or Casemiro who cant run.

I hope he will develop into a solid pro for us for many years to come, but UTD fans should never overhype young players too soon, it doesnt help them in the long run. Remember Macheda, Petrucci, Possebon, Januzaj, Ravel Morrison --------

He's young these are just flaws to be worked out. Truth is we don't yet know the type of player he'll become as his game is likely to change rapidly.

We certainly shouldn't consider it guaranteed he'll be a star but there's no harm in being excited for a youth prospect. It's the best part of football and he still is our best midfielder.

I think he's just having the same issues the rest of the team are facing in that they aren't comfortable with the tactics. When the tactics aren't getting the best out of you and the results go against you because of it then it's hard for any player.

I was worried he'd be out for a few weeks so I'm pleasantly surprised to see him in the travelling squad for Porto. I don't want to see him getting burnt out in Europa games though. Save him for Villa.

England came too soon for him, needed a Summer off and a strong pre season to raise his physical level.

He looks shattered. I know he's slow but he's running with a piano on his back now

Destroying him will be ETH's final gift to us. I still can't let go that he started in the community shield just after coming back from vacation and has been playing pretty much non-stop since then.

It should be either him and Eriksen starting. What is the point of chasing all these defensive midfielders and then playing the two of them together in games?

Him being heavily involved coincided with our largest period of control and penetration in the game.

A fantastic 10 minutes it was.

I’m not sure what his best position is, I don’t see him being a 6, I don’t think he has the pace or stamina to be an 8, maybe a 10 in a quick passing team.

Actually think he might look better in Bruno’s position, his first touch was oddly badly at times today.

My fear for him is the very low bar that is United. Dear I say it but if United doesn't improve over the next two years or so he needs to put himself in the market and go try himself in a club that will challenge him to be a better footballer otherwise he'll be this exact player by the time he's 25 and that wouldn't be good enough.

Actually think he might look better in Bruno’s position, his first touch was oddly badly at times today.

I reckon he'll eventually be pushed further up, he doesn't have the engine for a B2B role at least at the moment.

The other thing is there is a pattern with some of our academy graduates, Kobbie is following the same path as Greenwood and Rashford where they come in to the team and just seem to lack any intensity to their play. Garnacho is the first player in a while who has come in with that intensity. We can say that maybe its what Kobbie is being asked to do but even when playing for England he plays in a very similar way. Just very casual with his positioning and intensity, which we also saw/see with Rashford and Greenwood.

I think all the talk about him being ruined is over the top. A brief drop in his performance levels was always going to happen at some point regardless of ETH.

What he did last season was so impressive but it would have been unrealistic to expect a 19yo CM to continue playing at the level he did with no difficult spells.

The first season is always the easiest in a sense, the years after is when it becomes a lot more of a challenge. We’ve seen it with Martial, Greenwood, Anderson, Januzaj, Rafael, Rashford. They all had breakout years as teenagers then hit a wall, some of them got their form back while others never recovered those heights.

It’s easy to blame this on Ten Hag but this happens with almost all teenagers except the best of the best like Fabregas, Bellingham, Rooney etc.

He was so lazy today. Just jogging around.

It’s all just part of the gloomy atmosphere over the club, it consumes everyone eventually. It’ll change with a better manager.

It is good that he is getting a rest instead of playing in some meaningless glorified friendlies for England. Just hope the injury/niggle he has is not serious.

I reckon he'll eventually be pushed further up, he doesn't have the engine for a B2B role at least at the moment.

The other thing is there is a pattern with some of our academy graduates, Kobbie is following the same path as Greenwood and Rashford where they come in to the team and just seem to lack any intensity to their play. Garnacho is the first player in a while who has come in with that intensity. We can say that maybe its what Kobbie is being asked to do but even when playing for England he plays in a very similar way. Just very casual with his positioning and intensity, which we also saw/see with Rashford and Greenwood.

Yeah I don’t think the setup helps him as much either imo, he can’t at the moment like you say play b2b and some of his best work is definitely around the opposition area where he can use his great close control and dribbling, quick passing etc to his advantage.

I’d also like to see him demand the ball more, I feel like the game passes him by at times and he doesn’t receive the ball how often as he should, he’s one of the few players we have in the team that is press resistant (most of the time).

What happens when you misprofile a teenager.

If you expect Mainoo to put out fires by covering distance, you're annoyed with the player you want him to be compared to the player he actually is.

Yeah, putting far too much defensive responsibility on him in addition to overplaying him. Have managed to take all the fun out of his game in less than a season.

Have Liverpool ruined Gravenvberch? His numbers in ball winning are only a bit behind Mainoo's and hes been one of the better players in the team on top of the table.

2.1 tackles, 1.7 interceptions to Mainoo's 2.3 tackles and 2.0 interceptions

The main thing is that Gravenberch averages 28 more passes, 68 to Mainoo's 40. Because their team isnt struggling in the buildup as much as ours and he's demanding the ball more when they have it.

Hes also several years older so youd expect him to be ahead in terms of maturity

Have Liverpool ruined Gravenvberch? His numbers in ball winning are only a bit behind Mainoo's and hes been one of the better players in the team on top of the table.

2.1 tackles, 1.7 interceptions to Mainoo's 2.3 tackles and 2.0 interceptions

The main thing is that Gravenberch averages 28 more passes, 68 to Mainoo's 40. Because their team isnt struggling in the buildup as much as ours and he's demanding the ball more when they have it.

Hes also several years older so youd expect him to be ahead in terms of maturity

What Gravenberch has on Mainoo, is better athleticism and speed, in addition to being further along in maturity. However I do agree with you, Mainoo isn't playing as badly as we think, he just looks worse given our chaotic team

What happens when you misprofile a teenager.

If you expect Mainoo to put out fires by covering distance, you're annoyed with the player you want him to be compared to the player he actually is.
Relax, we haven't misprofiled anyone.. Players at his age & experience level have a lot to learn still. You don't see Pedri/Gavi/Bellingham put out their 9/10 performances every week either. He has much less first-team experience than they do and is in a lower-quality/badly managed team. He is fine and will only get better.

What Gravenberch has on Mainoo, is better athleticism and speed, in addition to being further along in maturity. However I do agree with you, Mainoo isn't playing as badly as we think, he just looks worse given our chaotic team

I think hes also doing well, but not in the way that caf posters have decided he should play

Hes doing a very good job as a ball winner, not perfect but almost no DM his age was close to perfect and the vast majority of them were winning the ball less than he is.

Unfortunately despite several players in their positions working hard to win the ball, we are still leaving gaps between the lines that teams are exploiting. And when we have the ball he could show a bit more purposeful character, show for the ball and ask for it more than he does and he could be a bit better with dribbling and passing success rates - even though his dribbling numbers are very good, he still gets the ball taken a few times a match.

So by no means am I saying hes been the best 19 year old midfielder, but hes been a very good DM for a DM pairing so far this season. Unfortunately he hasnt had a midfielder playing as well as he is next to him. Eriksen has had some good games and goals but when he hasnt been scoring has been average. Casemiro started well with his passing, but hes been getting foward and his shooting has been awful and of course the mistakes against Liverpool and Ugarte hasnt got going yet.

Relax, we haven't misprofiled anyone.. Players at his age & experience level have a lot to learn still. You don't see Pedri/Gavi/Bellingham put out their 9/10 performances every week either. He has much less first-team experience than they do and is in a lower-quality/badly managed team. He is fine and will only get better.
I am relaxed brother, and by misprofile at the beginning of the post, I meant the manager, not the fans.

I think hes also doing well, but not in the way that caf posters have decided he should play

Hes doing a very good job as a ball winner, not perfect but almost no DM his age was close to perfect and the vast majority of them were winning the ball less than he is.

Unfortunately despite several players in their positions working hard to win the ball, we are still leaving gaps between the lines that teams are exploiting. And when we have the ball he could show a bit more purposeful character, show for the ball and ask for it more than he does and he could be a bit better with dribbling and passing success rates - even though his dribbling numbers are very good, he still gets the ball taken a few times a match.

So by no means am I saying hes been the best 19 year old midfielder, but hes been a very good DM for a DM pairing so far this season. Unfortunately he hasnt had a midfielder playing as well as he is next to him. Eriksen has had some good games and goals but when he hasnt been scoring has been average. Casemiro started well with his passing, but hes been getting foward and his shooting has been awful and of course the mistakes against Liverpool and Ugarte hasnt got going yet.
He is not a DM, it's a complete waste of his ability.

Needs time. We shouldn’t be relying on him. Hopefully another midfielder comes in in January or next summer to take some pressure off.

What is he to you? He's nowhere near creative enough to be an attacking midfielder either.

He's doing poor in central midfield as well.
No one is, or would do in this team because the way they're being asked to play means the gaps they're being asked to cover are huge.

He should play further up, he can dribble past players, link up play well with one and two touch play is great at shooting.

Alongside a box to box, and aheas of a defensive midfielder. He would look great for any team that values possession.

Currently my favourite player, hasnt started the season too well but second season syndrome is a thing and I think he needs to play with Ugarte behind him...which then gives ETH a problem. At some point any manager of Man United will need to realise that we will need to play with 3 actual midfeilders.

We arent particularly patient as fans anymore but mark my words....in three years Kobbie will be ONE HELL A PLAYER and 21.

No one is, or would do in this team because the way they're being asked to play means the gaps they're being asked to cover are huge.

He should play further up, he can dribble past players, link up play well with one and two touch play is great at shooting.

Alongside a box to box, and aheas of a defensive midfielder. He would look great for any team that values possession.

All of that is true, however, he's very reticent to play either a forward floor pass or a diagonal switch, and for that reason I can't endorse him in Bruno's position. He simply doesn't attempt anywhere near enough penetrative passes to have the responsibility of providing key passes to our forwards.

My concern with Kobbie is that he almost never attempts either a switched ball to stretch the play out, or any forward penetrative ball. We have no way of knowing whether he's good at it because he just doesn't attempt it.

He's exceptionally good at small space play, one-two's, dribbling, but his reticence to try anything offensively direct prohibits us from utilising him further forward where he'd need to be more adventurous, and he doesn't have the horizontal mobility to operate as deepest man either.

He is not a DM, it's a complete waste of his ability.
He is very young and you never know but I agree here - at this point in time, he simply isn't a DM. He lacks the grit and intensity and while he is filling his frame very well, that won't make up for lack of mobility. Don't get me wrong, you can get away with playing guys like this at the deepest point in midfield but I think you have to make up for it somehow, be it a CB that is pushing up or a FB who is up for a crazy running job but against decent opposition, it isn't enough. I couldn't believe the things people on here wrote about him - to put him at DM. It just goes to show, that quite a few fans still deny the need for a player, playing in the midfield area with very good defensive skills - yet here we were, discussing McTominay, Bruno, Eriksen - all in the context "ah he'll be fine, he is good on the ball though" . Lets see when that ends. Or does it?

I consider him at this point in time as a very good progressor of the ball, mostly done by carrying and the ball and shielding it. He isn't that much of a passer right now and I am not sure, if that will be added but at this point, it doesn't seem to be there. Which is fine, progressors like this are more than useful and for a while I thought, this would be the new meta coming up, fielding a good DM with great playmaking skills next to two progressors - one with excellent dribbling skills and one doing it with nice passing skills and a great range. These days, not so sure anymore, think, there isn't one frontrunner in this regard. A progressor by the way, is also still a real midfielder, capable of at least doing something against the ball. In this regard, Mainoo is more than ready to play for us, but he shouldn't be the one being relied upon for defensive security. (Btw similar fate to Amrabat potentially - he failed as a DM as this wasn't his game as well, he might have been more useful having somebody reliable behind him. The guy was also labeled wrongly as a DM, now he seems to be gone completely, just checked, was loaned from Fiorentina to Fenerbahce... I am sure he really has a hate in his heart towards us...)

All of that is true, however, he's very reticent to play either a forward floor pass or a diagonal switch, and for that reason I can't endorse him in Bruno's position. He simply doesn't attempt anywhere near enough penetrative passes to have the responsibility of providing key passes to our forwards.
I would put him in the Verrati/xavi mould. In a team that likes to keep the ball and smaller gaps he'd absolutely smash it.

I would put him in the Verrati/xavi mould. In a team that likes to keep the ball and smaller gaps he'd absolutely smash it.
My concern with Kobbie is that he almost never attempts either a switched ball to stretch the play out, or any forward penetrative ball. We have no way of knowing whether he's good at it because he just doesn't attempt it.

He's exceptionally good at small space play, one-two's, dribbling, but his reticence to try anything offensively direct prohibits us from utilising him further forward where he'd need to be more adventurous, and he doesn't have the horizontal mobility to operate as deepest man either.
Xavi had a ping on him. Mainoo reminds me of Modric the most.

I also agree, it's probably his only weakness (on the ball) he doesn't quite seem to have that range. He did one on Sunday against Villa and it was well weighted, so he may be capable of it. I think, and hope, he will introduce it more to his game. I think he doesn't do it that often right now because his game is built on his crazy awareness of his immediate surroundings, it doesn't yet cross his mind to ping out there.