2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Man Utd 0:3 Tottenham New
My main worry with ETH is that he's going to ruin players like Mainoo, Amad and Garnacho.

Starting to get a bit worried by his performances. For the first time having doubts about him. Hopefully he is just having a little dip but he and Bruno really don’t work together. Maybe his dip is due to playing with Bruno. Just seems to do better when Eriksen and Cas are there.

Think he pulled something when he was subbed. Was not good but its hard to judge him and Ugarte in such a team at the moment

He’s been as bad as everyone else this season - anonymous.

Whether it’s to instruction or not, he plays too far forward in a sort of no man’s land where he’s not really contributing either defensively or offensively.

Great player but for some reason he always seems to release the ball a few moments too late for me. You're almost screaming at him to just play the first time pass but he seems to always want to hold the ball longer than is needed.

Completed 13 passes in the first half.

That is an additional reason why Ugarte-Mainoo doesn't look like a natural pairing. Lack of passing range in the pair and the one who needs to be playmaker is at this stage low volume in his involvement in the game.

Second season syndrome perhaps. But like I said on another thread, the midfield set up is shite.

Whether it’s to instruction or not, he plays too far forward in a sort of no man’s land where he’s not really contributing either defensively or offensively.
That's literally due to the system.

These tactics are terrible.

Could’ve had an assist for the Zirkzee chance. Hope he didn’t get injured, but would be helpful to give him a couple of games off to relieve some pressure.

My biggest concern with Mainoo remains his ability to ghost in and out of games. When he's playing well he's superb, but he has a lot of games where he's just anonymous.

Agreed, I think it’s more the coaching and instructions he gets though cause if not ETH should hall him off for not following his instructions.

Automatic starts just got into him, at this age it is not strange it was inevitable. He should rotate this season so we do not ruin him for ever.

Reading the posts on here is exactly why I said the other day he shouldn't be a starter yet. He has huge talent, if nurtured correctly he will be one of the best in his position. But he's so young, barely had a year of football and already the expectations weigh on his shoulders. A 19 year old can easily have bad moments as they are still learning and I fully expect him to have this. He needs to be mentored behind someone and be ready to grab his chance and prove that he should be on the first team. Right now we just shove him in, in hope he rediscovers his shrewdness from last season. In reality we should be giving him a break, not lumping expectations on his and allow him to grow his game through mistakes. Mistakes are the only thing that cam make you better, as long as you have the mindset to continually learn.

Could’ve had an assist for the Zirkzee chance. Hope he didn’t get injured, but would be helpful to give him a couple of games off to relieve some pressure.
Wasn’t a good pass at all. He could have easily kept it rolling on the ground and would have given Zirkzee an easier shot - it is so uncharacteristic of Mainoo as well.

I have no doubt if Eth stays, he’ll be able to turn the biggest talent we’ve had since Pogba into an average footballer.

Reading the posts on here is exactly why I said the other day he shouldn't be a starter yet. He has huge talent, if nurtured correctly he will be one of the best in his position. But he's so young, barely had a year of football and already the expectations weigh on his shoulders. A 19 year old can easily have bad moments as they are still learning and I fully expect him to have this. He needs to be mentored behind someone and be ready to grab his chance and prove that he should be on the first team. Right now we just shove him in, in hope he rediscovers his shrewdness from last season. In reality we should be giving him a break, not lumping expectations on his and allow him to grow his game through mistakes. Mistakes are the only thing that cam make you better, as long as you have the mindset to continually learn.
apply the exact same to Garnacho and Amad

far too much pressure on these kids - we should not be relying on them

apply the exact same to Garnacho and Amad

far too much pressure on these kids - we should not be relying on them
Why not? What happened to if "you’re good enough, you’re old enough"?

Barça has a 19 and 17 year old starting at CB. There’s Balde at LB, who’s only 20. Casado, Torre, even Pedri and Bernal, 17, who started the season as the holding midfielder . Don’t want to mention Yamal because he’s rather exceptional.

But the point is, there’s nothing wrong with expecting youngsters to perform especially when we know they can. But they need to be supported with the system and tactics. The coaches need to simplify the game for these youngsters so they know exactly what they’re doing on the pitch. Our coaches aren’t doing that. Mainoo doesn’t have a lot of stamina to be playing that high up, or as some B2B as people suggest. He’s incredibly good at carrying the ball and beating the press, so why not have him as the deepest midfielder picking up the ball from the defenders and advancing play?

With the way we set up, he’s just caught in an area where he is just moving around doing a bit of everything and not excelling at any. It’s rather sad to see at how poor our tactics and setup make almost all of our players look.

Very young and inexperienced, he's shown great talent at times yet shows to be on the slow side at running and fades in and out of games.

Everyone was quick to stop comparisons with Bellingham but one I would say is early on with both players we see maturity beyond their years in a midfield role, we saw with Bellingham he wasn't quite the strong midfielder people thought and was much better forward. With the goals and play around the box from Mainoo I wonder in a year or two we'll see the same thing where he maybe is best in the Bruno role.

People were hell bent on Bellingham being this main central midfielder yet he went missing in many Dortmund England games and has shown his best exploits are further forward. Mainoo might not be as aggressive or akin to a second striker and heading that Jude can do but Mainoo might be playmaker attacking midfielder. I've read so many saying or hoping he's a deeper midfielder but I see he wants to get forward and has high ability around the box unused. He's scored some amazing goals, I feel if he moved he'd be in Bruno's position for another club.

Whether he can adapt, a shot Bruno, a still learning and bypassed Mainoo and limited/unfit Ugarte was crazy today.

Great player but for some reason he always seems to release the ball a few moments too late for me. You're almost screaming at him to just play the first time pass but he seems to always want to hold the ball longer than is needed.
The annoying thing about this is it's something that can be fixed in a 10 second conversation from the manager.

"Kobbie, start releasing the ball earlier, OK? Cheers"

I have question - I get that Mainoo’s best traits are his skill fullness, balance and intelligence with the ball at his feet but why are we taking the buildup play out of his game? When he broke through he used to take the ball under pressure in deep areas and help us build. Now he’s drifting further and further forward, it seems, and we aren’t developing that ability of his at all. He doesn’t have to be a 6 but it feels like he’s stopped doing it this season.

He comes back from his vacation and two days later is starting at Wembley in a glorified friendly only so that our suit wearing manager can claim he won three trophies in three years if he won the Shield. He has been totally mismanaged this season and overworked. I fear for him the most if ETH is allowed to continue in his merry ways.

Why not? What happened to if "you’re good enough, you’re old enough"?

Barça has a 19 and 17 year old starting at CB. There’s Balde at LB, who’s only 20. Casado, Torre, even Pedri and Bernal, 17, who started the season as the holding midfielder . Don’t want to mention Yamal because he’s rather exceptional.

But the point is, there’s nothing wrong with expecting youngsters to perform especially when we know they can. But they need to be supported with the system and tactics. The coaches need to simplify the game for these youngsters so they know exactly what they’re doing on the pitch. Our coaches aren’t doing that. Mainoo doesn’t have a lot of stamina to be playing that high up, or as some B2B as people suggest. He’s incredibly good at carrying the ball and beating the press, so why not have him as the deepest midfielder picking up the ball from the defenders and advancing play?

With the way we set up, he’s just caught in an area where he is just moving around doing a bit of everything and not excelling at any. It’s rather sad to see at how poor our tactics and setup make almost all of our players look.
I think you answered your own question

You are old enough if you are good enough

a team like Manchester United have a history of using young players, traditionally in my lifetime alongside strong seasoned pros like Robson, Bruce, Pallister and Cantona. Later in our 00s team.

At the minute it feels like we are reliant on these young players in a flawed team and tactical setup in a pressure cooker atmosphere.

As I said it's far from ideal and shouldn't be the case.

Personally, I was grateful he was protected after the Bruno sending off. At least he's not associated with that shocking performance.

I see the ability on the ball but physically he is limited.

Of course it's instructions.

He's not ready to start games against top opposition, simple as. We used to call McTominay a ghost (and rightly so), but it feels like Mainoo is as involved as he was in terms of build up from midfield.

Didn't think he was THAT bad. He created Zirkzee's big chance. Not that that's enough though.

People are overreacting with him imo. Created a good chance and none of the defenders around him had a pass in them. Give the scapegoating a rest.

Judging Mainoo’s performances under Ten Hag is like criticising Benedict Cumberbatch’s acting under Eli Roth.

He needs better coaching than he’s getting currently. Imagine how much better he’d develop under Pep.

It’s a bit harsh to judge any player in the team when they’re being coached by a completely inept manager. Mainoo has all the talent to become a world beater but he does need to work on a number of things, including showing for the ball more, long passing and especially his stamina and pace.

Mainoo needs to play in a more compact/possession orientated team, IMO, as he struggles to cover the ground in those huge gaps we leave behind (tbf, everyone in midfield is struggling with the tactics).

Not been a great start to the season for him, but at least with the form Eriksens shown - we at least have some sort of substitute to rotate/rest Mainoo and take some pressure off him.

Of course it's instructions.
Let’s not pretend he’s dipped off form wise just because of that.

There’s a few reminders for me that he’s just a kid learning his trade at this point. I feel like people try and find a reason to say he’s been good in a game or ‘ok’ when he’s been poor, like he can’t be criticised. At this point, I don’t think he should be a shoe in to start every game.

My main concerns are his noticeable physical dip off in the second half of games, his lack of pace and inviting pressure by not releasing the ball quick enough.

There’s a few reminders for me that he’s just a kid learning his trade at this point. I feel like people try and find a reason to say he’s been good in a game or ‘ok’ when he’s been poor, like he can’t be criticised. At this point, I don’t think he should be a shoe in to start every game.

My main concerns are his noticeable physical dip off in the second half of games, his lack of pace and inviting pressure by not releasing the ball quick enough.
He's had a slow start to the season which is to be expected from a teenager that played as many minutes as he did last season then played in an international tournament and had no pre-season. Constructive criticism is fine, he's obviously not the finished article and there's aspects of his game that he could do with improving on but to sit here and pretend that he's not being hung out to dry due to the managers tactics and instructions would be silly. I honestly believe you could put prime Busquets or a Rodri in this team and they would have their struggles. ten Hag's tactics are making some of these players look much worse than they are.

I agree he isn't playing as well and is going through a bit of a dip. However, it doesn't help if he's not being used to its strengths.

Erik Ten Hag is making our players worse.

It would've been excellent if we could've slowly build him up, instead of looking at him as our saviour, playing him week in, week out, while all of deficiencies are on display, and everybody starts criticising. This is how you kill young player confidence. Took Foden few years to get into City's team. We don't have that luxury apparently, and we will pray on Eriksen's fitness to save the day.

Over reliant on this kid. Shouldn’t be pinning our hopes on a teenager to hold our midfield together.

Does certain tasks very well but doesn’t influence games, we’ll have to wait a while for the great player he has the potential to become.

My take on Mainoo is that he has been way over-hyped.

Yes he is a talented youngster who has had a good impact on the team last season but he is not the saviour that some fans would have him down as.

He seems to go missing in the 2nd half of games and struggles defensively. As he is young and home grown he will always escape criticism for now but he hasnt been good this season. I hear people talk about burn out, but is that the case? or is he struggling in a poor team? Or is he just not as good as we all want him to be.?

It certainly doesnt help him playing with Bruno who cant keep the ball or Casemiro who cant run.

I hope he will develop into a solid pro for us for many years to come, but UTD fans should never overhype young players too soon, it doesnt help them in the long run. Remember Macheda, Petrucci, Possebon, Januzaj, Ravel Morrison --------